Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in London, UK

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2011, 10:43 am

Help with transportation - Now Marriott Hotel County Hall London

I'm hoping someone might have some helpful information. We have a rewards reservation for early July. The Swiss Cottage stop isn't at all wheelchair accessible. What would be the best way to 1. Get to the hotel from Heathrow and 2. Get downtown to Waterloo/London Bridge. I searched through the history and it looks like Paddington is not far by taxi? Are there other options to other stations?

Thanks for any insight!

Last edited by chris1gill; Dec 20, 2011 at 6:40 am
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Here's some info on the property from a trip report I did a while ago. I'm going to PM one of the UK folk & ask him to post here, to answer your specific questions re: transportation, as you're not allowed to crosspost on FT.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...18-2008-a.html

Cheers.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 11:36 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by chris1gill
I'm hoping someone might have some helpful information. We have a rewards reservation for early July. The Swiss Cottage stop isn't at all wheelchair accessible. What would be the best way to 1. Get to the hotel from Heathrow and 2. Get downtown to Waterloo/London Bridge. I searched through the history and it looks like Paddington is not far by taxi? Are there other options to other stations?

Thanks for any insight!
Taxi is only about 15 minutes from Paddington. It should cost between £12-£15 depending on traffic. This would be the best option, rather than messing around with the tube/bus.

You can take a bus from the hotel to Waterloo. The 31 bus leaves from very close to the hotel, and you'd need to change to the 168 at Camden Town. All the buses are wheelchair accessible, but can get busy.

Let me know any further questions you may have, as I spend 4 nights a week at this hotel
Old Dec 19, 2011, 12:14 pm

I just wanted to say thanks for the information so far, any additional information will be very welcome! I know London with a wheelchair can be a tad bit more difficult if you have no idea what you are doing!
Old Dec 19, 2011, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't done London in a wc but have done it with an oder person who just doesn't move about very well. In general the buses are the way to go. Much more accessible than the tube.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 1:32 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premier
The best and most convenient option will always be the London Black Cab, which are all wheelchair friendly, but will be costly.

If you wish to travel by public transport tfl (transport for london) have a wonderful journey planner which you can use, and it can take note of all your personal preferences and constraints, including wheelchair access.

http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/use...T2?language=en

tom
Old Dec 20, 2011, 2:22 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
In general, yes, buses and black cabs (i.e. taxis you hail on the street) are the way to go in a wheelchair.

Almost every bus in London is wheelchair accessible. Generally speaking the driver will see you, but otherwise, approach the rear doors, and press the blue wheelchair call button, and move back. A ramp will extend from the rear doors to the path, and let you board - there is a dedicated wheelchair space (or two) opposite, with a cushioned back. These spaces are also popular with pushchair users and people with luggage, but wheelchairs have priority. To get off, press the blue stop request button (most are red) and that will let the driver know the ramp is needed at the next stop.

Generally speaking, buses are easy to navigate - main stops show "spider maps" (rail-style maps of stops) and the direction the buses are travelling in. Many now also tell you the next stop on board. As well as the journey planner linked to above, the TfL site also has a number of "spider maps" for major stops, including the stop locations.

The Tube is far less accessible, mainly due to its age, but there are newer lines and refurbished stations which may be more useful. There is a good map here shows you which stations are step-free, and what the platform gaps are like.

Rail services in and around London have varying degrees of accessibility, too. All trains in the London area are theoretically accessible (and have accessible toilets), but you need someone at the station or on the train (and not all trains have guards) to manually put down a ramp. You can search for a station at The National Rail Site to see if it is accessible, and then either pre-book assistance (in which case it is guaranteed), or turn up on spec, in which case every effort will be made to accommodate you as soon as possible.

Black cabs (which aren't necessarily black, but are the taxis you hail on the street rather than prebook) now often have wheelchair lifts. Many minicab (pre-booked taxis) can offer this service too, with minibus taxis, but you do have to specify when booking.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 6:19 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Also keep in mind, buses during the morning and evening commute can be PACKED. If you absolutely need to travel during these times then do so, but I would try and avoid them. Even as a random tourist I would do so (packed buses will get you where you need to go, but they aren't the most pleasant experience in the world), but with a wheelchair it may be very difficult to get people to move out of the wheelchair area because there may just be nowhere for them to go.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 6:39 am

Thanks everyone for the information.

I was lucky enough (I think) to book the London's South Bank for 40K points per night for our 2 night stay. It looks like it will be easier to see the sights from that location? I just now have to figure out how to get there, back to the maps! One thing I thought odd, we are a party of four, and although the room offers 2 doubles, it would only allow a party of 3, whereas Regent park also had two doubles and allowed a party of 4? Has anyone been to this South Bank Hotel?
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:54 am

Location: CLE, UA MM, UA Premier Plat, Bonvoy Titanium UA Club
London: Best Location?

MODERATOR: PLEASE DELETE THIS THREAD.

As a member of almost 13 years; it's ridiculous people respond with telling OP to do a Search.

Disappointed.

Last edited by traveltoomuch; Dec 20, 2011 at 1:34 pm Reason: Question not being answered.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 11:24 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Silver, Starwood Preferred Guest Plus, Hilton HHonors Gold
Do a search of the forums as this has been discussed at length previously. Lots of info and suggestions.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:08 pm

Location: CLE, UA MM, UA Premier Plat, Bonvoy Titanium UA Club
Do a Search? Really, that's your answer? :rolleyes:

Useless responses.

Last edited by traveltoomuch; Dec 20, 2011 at 1:34 pm Reason: Ditto
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by traveltoomuch
Search didn't help - hence the reason for my post.
I think we are all intelligent enough to first search prior to posting. Responding with "Do a search" doesn't answer question. And, ANY new post can be responded to in such a manner. If you don't have an answer, don't respond.
And when asking for help, don't be rude. Just sayin...

As Glenn has mentioned, this topic has come up MANY times on this forum. There is a LOT of info. It's not much to ask that you do a search & read the many threads on the subject, rather than ask FTers to repeat the same info just for you. One suggestion for a search term is "London"

If you have a specific question after reading the threads, then certainly post the additional questions you have & we'll be glad to help.

Cheers.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by chris1gill
Thanks everyone for the information.

I was lucky enough (I think) to book the London's South Bank for 40K points per night for our 2 night stay. It looks like it will be easier to see the sights from that location? I just now have to figure out how to get there, back to the maps! One thing I thought odd, we are a party of four, and although the room offers 2 doubles, it would only allow a party of 3, whereas Regent park also had two doubles and allowed a party of 4? Has anyone been to this South Bank Hotel?
Many people have stayed at County Hall (CH). If you do a search in the forum for County Hall, all the threads will come up.

I think I recall VickiSoCal mentioning CH does allow 4 in a room, although it might have been someone else.

Cheers.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 1:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, but 2 of them were small children, not sure what the reaction would be with 4 adults.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.