Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FindAWay
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership – including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2018, 8:54 am

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
The problem I see is this sentence, specifically the language "in the NEW combined program" which could imply combined nights are for achieving lifetime based on the new criteria ONLY:

Also, in August, when members combine Rewards and SPG accounts, their lifetime nights across both programs count toward Lifetime Elite status in the new combined program.
Saidoh likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 9:41 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by sdsearch
The problem is that the sentence which talkes about 2MM lifetime points does not define "lifetime nights". Only the next sentence, which talks about llifetime years, not lifetime points, clearly spells out "combined nights" (as "lifetime nights across both programs").

So without a clear definition of "lifetime nights" in the first sentence, it's not clear to many of us whether it means "lifetime combined nights" (which would make the answer to B8 be "yes") or only "lifetime Marriott nights" (which would make the answer to B8 be "no").;

So by quoting that paragraph as his source, unfortunately StarwoodLurker showed that the answer to B8 is not yet clear, rather than it being resolved as "yes". (That paragraph that he quoted is not new; it was around many weeks earlier.)
Agreed. The Lurker contradicts himself because he cites "existing criteria," but technically the "existing criteria" is only Marriott nights.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 11:47 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
The problem is that the sentence which talkes about 2MM lifetime points does not define "lifetime nights". Only the next sentence, which talks about llifetime years, not lifetime points, clearly spells out "combined nights" (as "lifetime nights across both programs").

So without a clear definition of "lifetime nights" in the first sentence, it's not clear to many of us whether it means "lifetime combined nights" (which would make the answer to B8 be "yes") or only "lifetime Marriott nights" (which would make the answer to B8 be "no").;

So by quoting that paragraph as his source, unfortunately StarwoodLurker showed that the answer to B8 is not yet clear, rather than it being resolved as "yes". (That paragraph that he quoted is not new; it was around many weeks earlier.)

B8 asks about combined SPG and MR nights.

"B8. Do Marriott members with 2MM uncombined lifetime MR points and with 750 combined lifetime MR nights and lifetime SPG nights qualify for LTPP?"
Old Jun 26, 2018, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rny321
B8 asks about combined SPG and MR nights.

"B8. Do Marriott members with 2MM uncombined lifetime MR points and with 750 combined lifetime MR nights and lifetime SPG nights qualify for LTPP?"
I know that. In fact, I was the one who added B8 to the wiki of that Starwood thread. (Someone else was asking the question but in a more confusing manner, so I cleaned it up and posted it as B8.)

So what was your point of replying with that to my explanation of why I don't think the paragraph that Lurker quoted justifies a "yes" answer to B8?

The problem is that Lurker didn't give a standalone "yes" answer to B8. He said "yes [because]" and then posted a paragraph that not only I but several other people think doesn't prove "yes" at all.

Btw, the original "confused" version got into the wiki too, and got a "no" answer (though I think the reason he gives was not the correct one):

B6b. SPG members with a combined 750 SPG nights + 2M after conversion, but not yet LTP (e.g. 10 Platinum years)
No. Please note that SPG does not count lifetime points. They have history on Lifetime nights and years at Elite status. <added by Starwood Lurker 18May18>
The correct reason would have been that converting points from SPG to MR (which the OP of this question had talked about in earlier posts) does not count toward MR lifetime points. It never has, since transfers form SPG to Marriott started.

This got a "no", but all I did in redoing B6b as B8 was:
1. Replaced SPG member with Marriott member.
2. Got rid of "SPG" in the phrase "combined 750 nights", and added "lfietime" in front of nights.
3. Got rid of "after conversion", and clarified that the 2MM is uncombined lifetime MR points.
4. Got rid of any mention of what someone is "not yet"

Btw, even though I now know that B6b was in there, at the time I added B8 I hadn't realized it. I had seen B6b in a post previously, and had suggested cleaning it up, and when I didn't see a reply, I decided to clean it up myself. It was only later that I found that the original version had been put in there as well, as B6b.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jun 26, 2018 at 1:42 pm
Old Jun 26, 2018, 2:09 pm

B6b and B8 are completely different questions. In B6b, William stated that converted SPG points can't be used to meet the 2MM MR points criteria. B8 asks the question if someone with 2MM MR points can utilize combined nights to qualify for LTPP. Once a company representative with real or apparent authority answered "yes" to B8, the explanation doesn't matter. Since the question referenced combined nights, I am not sure why the answer would need to separately mention combined nights. To clarify, I asked William if I could ignore the explanation, and he seemed confused with the need to even ask. At this point, I spent additional money to make sure that I would qualify based on the statements of multiple company representatives that combined nights would count.

Last edited by rny321; Jun 27, 2018 at 11:37 am
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

B6b and B8 are completely different questions. In B6b, William stated that converted SPG points can't be used to meet the 2MM MR points criteria. B8 asks the question if someone with 2MM MR points can utilize combined nights to qualify for LTPP. Once a company representative with real or apparent authority answered "yes" to B8, the explanation doesn't matter. Since the question referenced combined nights, I am not sure why the answer would need to separately mention combined nights. To clarify, I asked William if I could ignore the explanation, and he seemed confused with the need to even ask. At this point, I spent additional money to make sure that I would qualify based on the statements of multiple company representatives that combined nights would count.
Me, I d't rather know that an answer is correct (by understanding how it was reached), rather than assume that it "must be" correct just because the person who gave it is a "real or apparent authority". Such authority improves the chances of a correct answer, certainly, but it doesn't guarantee it.

So I'm researching what I could do whether the answer turns out to be yes or no, and taking actions that push me toward multiple possible paths to LTPP. Are you putting all your eggs in the answer to B8 being yes?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:14 pm

Me, I d't rather know that an answer is correct (by understanding how it was reached), rather than assume that it "must be" correct just because the person who gave it is a "real or apparent authority". Such authority improves the chances of a correct answer, certainly, but it doesn't guarantee it.

So I'm researching what I could do whether the answer turns out to be yes or no, and taking actions that push me toward multiple possible paths to LTPP. Are you putting all your eggs in the answer to B8 being yes?
I am not assuming it must be correct because someone with real or apparent authority makes it. On the other hand, if a company rep. makes a statement that a customer relies on when making a purchase, the company has at least a moral obligation to honor it. It's irrelevant how or why a marketing decision was reached. In contrast, MR is not obligated to honor what bloggers summarize.

It was worth spending some money to hit a combined 750 based on the assurances I had from members of Marriott's loyalty department, including one in writing, and Starwood Lurker's answer. Without some assurance from someone who had the authority that MR and SPG nights could be combined towards LTPP, my Marriot spending would have been less than it has been It would cost more than was willing to spend for the upgrade to LTPP if I needed to have 750 MR nights.

Last edited by rny321; Jun 28, 2018 at 1:02 pm
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not assuming it must be correct because someone with real or apparent authority makes it. On the other hand, if a company rep. makes a statement that a customer relies on when making a purchase, the company has a legal obligation to honor it. It's irrelevant how or why a marketing decision was reach. In contrast, MR is not obligated to honor what bloggers summarize.

It was worth spending some money to hit a combined 750 based on the assurances I had from members of Marriott's loyalty department, including one in writing, and Starwood Lurker's answer. Without some assurance from someone who had the authority that MR and SPG nights could be combined towards LTPP, my Marriot spending would have been less than it has been It would cost more than was willing to spend for the upgrade to LTPP if I needed to have 750 MR nights.
So are you already at 2MM lifetime Marriott points (or very close to it)? If that's the case, I'm curious, what was the balance between your Marriott nights and SPG nights? In my case, I'm far from 2MM (though possibly achievable by Dec), and yet i was at 670ish Marriott LT nights (but only about 60 SPG LT nights). Thus I've been doing a few Rewarding Events meetings to not only get to 750 combined (in fact, overshoot it) but also to get close enough to 750 Marriott alone so that if 8b turns out to be "no" after all then I won't have a ridiculous number of Marriott nights to do the rest of the year.

But your focus on the "yes" answer to B8 implies that you're even further away from 750 on the Marriott-only side than I was perhaps?
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:27 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

if a company rep. makes a statement that a customer relies on when making a purchase, the company has a legal obligation to honor it.
As it relates to a loyalty program, good luck with that.
Old Jun 27, 2018, 1:55 pm

So are you already at 2MM lifetime Marriott points (or very close to it)? If that's the case, I'm curious, what was the balance between your Marriott nights and SPG nights? In my case, I'm far from 2MM (though possibly achievable by Dec), and yet i was at 670ish Marriott LT nights (but only about 60 SPG LT nights). Thus I've been doing a few Rewarding Events meetings to not only get to 750 combined (in fact, overshoot it) but also to get close enough to 750 Marriott alone so that if 8b turns out to be "no" after all then I won't have a ridiculous number of Marriott nights to do the rest of the year.

But your focus on the "yes" answer to B8 implies that you're even further away from 750 on the Marriott-only side than I was perhaps?
Over 2MM points and between 650 and 700 MR nights and well over 100 SPG nights. Although I have personal and business MR and SPG credit cards, I don't know if I will receive more than 15 nights of lifetime credit for them. To be absolutely sure that I would end up with 750 MR nights, I would need 9 or 10 meetings before August 1. I simply decided that the cost to remove any uncertainty wasn't worth it. If LTPP meant more to me or if I thought the odds that nights couldn't be combined was higher, I would take the same approach as you are and push for 750 MR nights. I appreciate the discussion and the fact that you were the one who posted my question about combining MR and SPG nights.

Last edited by rny321; Jun 27, 2018 at 4:06 pm
Old Jun 27, 2018, 2:09 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
MR and SPG nights can be combined towards LTPP in the new program. But LTPP in the new program requires 750 nights and 10 years of status, not points.

What many would argue is still up for debate is if MR and SPG nights can be combined towards "existing requirements for MR LTP," which will then convert to LTPP.
ymx likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I'm relieved to know this is no longer a worry for me. I achieved MR LTP (future LTPP) this week with my last stay posting. I'm now at 764 nights and 2,032,277 points. Time to update my signature block. :-)
Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by WillTravel4Food
I'm relieved to know this is no longer a worry for me. I achieved MR LTP (future LTPP) this week with my last stay posting. I'm now at 764 nights and 2,032,277 points. Time to update my signature block. :-)
Congrats, I am close too. 10 nights in MR or 6 nights in SPG. Thinking of going for both just for the hell of it.

I'd hold off on updating the profile until we know what name they are going to be using...
Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:11 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
And, if I'm reading these with a microscope on the B8 question, it appears that the website has similar, but critically different, info.

From https://members.marriott.com/benefits/
In addition, members that achieve Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum under the legacy requirements by year end will also be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status. And, don’t forget that we’ll combine Lifetime activity across both Rewards and SPG toward qualification when members combine accounts in August

From https://members.marriott.com/marriottrewards/
In addition, when you combine Rewards and SPG accounts, we will combine your lifetime activity across both toward Lifetime Elite status in the new combined program.

Note that one references the "new combined program" whereas the other one doesn't.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by bosman
And, if I'm reading these with a microscope on the B8 question, it appears that the website has similar, but critically different, info.

From https://members.marriott.com/benefits/
In addition, members that achieve Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum under the legacy requirements by year end will also be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status. And, don’t forget that we’ll combine Lifetime activity across both Rewards and SPG toward qualification when members combine accounts in August

From https://members.marriott.com/marriottrewards/
In addition, when you combine Rewards and SPG accounts, we will combine your lifetime activity across both toward Lifetime Elite status in the new combined program.

Note that one references the "new combined program" whereas the other one doesn't.
Looking only at Marriott's website, there is the same ambiguity about the ability to qualify using combined nights and years of status. I might have missed it, but I don't believe there is additional public confirmation by anyone from Marriott or Starwood, except the Starwood Lurker, that confirmed that nights can be combined for LTPP status. I don't count bloggers comments as they don't represent Marriott and they sometimes get things wrong. Although I am not questioning the ability of members of both programs to utilize combined years and status, I wish the language used by Marriott was more precise.

Last edited by rny321; Jun 28, 2018 at 9:59 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.