Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FindAWay
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership – including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 23, 2018, 5:46 pm
ymx

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA EXP, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by rny321
Starwood Lurker, William, was asked this one sentence question several times before giving an answer and he definitely knew what was being asked. What he didn't understand was why a couple of posters were still confused. He answered: "Yes." and then followed up with an explanation.

William has stated numerous times that the language he uses to answer questions posed on the Wiki has been approved by Marriott. He doesn't pull something from a website or inject his own interpretation into a Wiki answer unless it has been cleared by the loyalty department. Since that is a more cumbersome process than telling people what he thinks, I wasn't surprised that he responded that "we are done getting further clarification from the loyalty team on questions that have already been answered."

He has been very clear that the only activities that can be combined are nights and years of status.
Yes, but the language he pulled from the Marriot website is still vague about utilization of combined activities from one metric (nights) with uncombined activities from another metric (legacy MR points). I am still hopeful that what you say is true and that the answer he provided was vetted by Marriott and someone with combined 750 MR+SPG nights and 2MM MR points will be able to qualify for LTPP.
Old Jun 23, 2018, 6:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Starwood Lurker, William, was asked this one sentence question several times before giving an answer and he definitely knew what was being asked. What he didn't understand was why a couple of posters were still confused. He answered: "Yes." and then followed up with an explanation.

William has stated numerous times that the language he uses to answer questions posed on the Wiki has been approved by Marriott. He doesn't pull something from a website or inject his own interpretation into a Wiki answer unless it has been cleared by the loyalty department. Since that is a more cumbersome process than telling people what he thinks, I wasn't surprised that he responded that "we are done getting further clarification from the loyalty team on questions that have already been answered."

He has been very clear that the only activities that can be combined are nights and years of status.
A few posts above this answer, Starwood Lurker admitted he wasn’t even sure what the legacy MR requirements were, so considering part of his answer was referencing the legacy MR requirements, add me to the list of those still skeptical that 2MM MR points and 750 combined nights will get LTPP.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
If the qualification for new lifetime status covers three pieces of data:
1) Points earned
2) Years at that status
3) Number of total nights
It works out for me that I am right below the cutoff for Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite on all three items. However, if you add in my separate SPG earned points/years/nights I would qualify on all three categories. So whether or not Marriott actually adds up the underlying programs for some or all of the new joined program lifetime status criteria can make a big difference.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by pitflyer
If the qualification for new lifetime status covers three pieces of data:
1) Points earned
2) Years at that status
3) Number of total nights
It works out for me that I am right below the cutoff for Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite on all three items. However, if you add in my separate SPG earned points/years/nights I would qualify on all three categories. So whether or not Marriott actually adds up the underlying programs for some or all of the new joined program lifetime status criteria can make a big difference.
There is no qualification for LTPP requiring all three of these eligibility factors. You either qualify because of status under one of the legacy programs or because you meet certain parameters when your accounts are combined. Let's start with the existing legacy programs:
  • If you are MR LTP now or by the end of 2018, you will be LTPP in the new program. Eligibility there requires 750 nights and 2m points. Years at status do not matter.
  • If you are SPG LTP now or by the end of 2018 and you have >750 LT nights, you will be LTPP in the new program. Eligibility there requires the 750 nights and ten or more years as an SPG P. Point totals will not matter.
If when you combine your accounts:
  • Between the new programs, in your new combined totals, you have >750 and at least ten years of having attained SPG P, MR P and/or MR G you will be LTPP in the new program. Points will not matter in this calculation. Because MR G was a fifty night level it will be considered the same as the new program P and will count towards the ten year minimum requirement.
  • There may be one more avenue for eligibility .If between the two programs, in your new combined total you have >750 nights and 2m MR points (no SPG points included in that number) you may qualify for LTPP. In the Wiki included on the SPG FT page in the first sticky a question was recently answered which seems to indicate you would get status this way. There is another answer posted that some thinks contradicts this answer so some people are not sure if it is valid, but it has been posted by the Lurker. Combined points totals do not count because SPG did not track LT points. Personally my opinion is of the combined points bring someone across 2m why should it matter if there might be other points not counted, but nobody asked me.
Hope that helps clarify things a bit. You do not need all three factors you listed, but which two and how they are calculated will depend on which avenue will get you qualified, if at all.
unclepants likes this.

Last edited by CJKatl; Jun 24, 2018 at 1:42 pm
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA-1k, AA-EXP, SPG-Plat
If when you combine your accounts:
  • Between the new programs, in your new combined totals, you have >750 and at least ten years of having attained SPG P, MR P and/or MR G you will be LTPP in the new program. Points will not matter in this calculation. Because MR G was a fifty night level it will be considered the same as the new program P and will count towards the ten year minimum requirement.

Hi Everyone!

I'm hoping FT will be able to help as I am giving up on MR customer service. I've sent 10+ emails and over 4 hrs on the phone. My latest 2 hour call I was able to speak with a supervisor named Tracie who was unable to answer my question. I asked to see if I can be transferred to a group more familiar with the rewards merger detail but she ended up just transferring me to the original MR customer service number.

I hope to achieve the new program's LPP by the combined total from Marriott Rewards and SPG of 750 Nights and 10 Years of Platinum by 12/31/18 via "If you achieved Elite status in both Marriott Rewards and SPG in the same year, you’ll receive credit for two Elite years".

SPG: I have asked SPG Platinum Service and very quickly determined I have total of 710 SPG Nights and 8 years of SPG Platinum (2010- 2017) not including this year.
MR: After contacting with MR I have determined I have 64 MR Nights and was platinum from Oct 2014 to Feb 2016 which is before the SPG Merger status match. The status was achieved by successfully completing a MR challenge.

Question:
How many MR Platinum Elite years will count towards LPP?
This will help know if I still need to qualify this year (2018):
- If I have 2 years of MR Platinum then I will have LPP when the programs combine and do not need to quality this year.
- If I have 1 year of MR Platinum then I will still need to qualify 2018 on SPG or Mariott to achieve LLP when the programs combine.

Thank you!
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dealhunter999
I called and spoke to CSR, they gave me number of times , I have been SPG platinum and SPG gold.
I did that too, and they gave the wrong answer (they counted linked years, when that should not count). So don't believe any answer you get pre-August. SPG years are counted differently now than they will be apparently in August.
Old Jun 24, 2018, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by xxmimxx

SPG: I have asked SPG Platinum Service and very quickly determined I have total of 710 SPG Nights and 8 years of SPG Platinum (2010- 2017) not including this year.
MR: After contacting with MR I have determined I have 64 MR Nights and was platinum from Oct 2014 to Feb 2016 which is before the SPG Merger status match. The status was achieved by successfully completing a MR challenge.

Question:
How many MR Platinum Elite years will count towards LPP?
This will help know if I still need to qualify this year (2018):
- If I have 2 years of MR Platinum then I will have LPP when the programs combine and do not need to quality this year.
- If I have 1 year of MR Platinum then I will still need to qualify 2018 on SPG or Mariott to achieve LLP when the programs combine.

Thank you!
Consensus here is that a successful challenge should count, but it will count for only a single year, since you didn't requalify the next year.
CJKatl and xxmimxx like this.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 12:19 am

Programs: UA-1k, AA-EXP, SPG-Plat
Originally Posted by swag
Consensus here is that a successful challenge should count, but it will count for only a single year, since you didn't requalify the next year.
Thank you Swag for the consensus.

It surprises me that we cant get this confirmed by MR...
Old Jun 25, 2018, 2:54 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by ymx
It is not clear what the definition of "Lifetime activity" is from this, as everywhere else they are clear if you merge your activity you can only qualify with combined nights and 10 years of status. I would very much like to be able to count my 2MM uncombined lifetime MR points with the combined MR and SPG lifetime nights.
I may have missed it, but where on Marriott's site does it state that "you can only qualify with combined nights and 10 years of status." I know bloggers stated before June 20 that that was true, but I don't remember reading an actual quote from a MR or SPG rep. making the same claim. I am not saying that it doesn't exist, but I couldn't find similar language on Marriott's site.

The text in each of the following references states that lifetime activity can be combined, but doesn't make a distinction between combined nights and years of status and combined nights and uncombined points. Looking only at what is written, it seems that combined activity either counts for both scenarios or only for the new criteria.

"NOTE: Members that reach 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (notified January 2019). In addition, members that achieve Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum under the legacy requirements by year end will also be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status. And, don’t forget that we’ll combine Lifetime activity across both Rewards and SPG toward qualification when members combine accounts in August. Beginning in 2019, qualification into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status will not be available. See FAQs for details."

From the FAQ's

"In August, we’ll have three Lifetime Elite tiers, each with its own nights and Elite tenure thresholds. Once you achieve a Lifetime Elite tier, you’ll never go below it, and your points will never expire. If you have previously achieved Lifetime Elite status in Rewards or SPG, we will honor that Lifetime Elite status in the new program (see below). In addition, when you combine Rewards and SPG accounts we will combine your lifetime activity across both toward Lifetime Elite status in the new combined program. Members will have until year-end 2018 to complete stays in order to achieve the Lifetime Elite status thresholds to be grandfathered in at the previous thresholds for Rewards or SPG."

Last edited by rny321; Jun 25, 2018 at 3:04 pm
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:29 pm

I may have missed it, but where on Marriott's site does it state that "you can only qualify with combined nights and 10 years of status." I know bloggers stated before June 20 that that was true, but I don't remember reading an actual quote from a MR or SPG rep. making the same claim. I am not saying that it doesn't exist, but I couldn't find similar language on Marriott's site.
On the Starwood FT page in the first thread, there is a sticky, there is a Wiki where the Starwood Lurker is posting answers that have been painstakingly vetted word by word by Marriott so the answers are reliable. This issue has been answered numerous times:
Will Marriott be expanding their policy for awarding Lifetime Platinum Premier (LTPP) status to cover additional scenarios?
FTers have asked that coverage be extended as follows:
  1. SPG LTP with the Marriott equivalent of 750 SPG nights + and 2M after conversion points No. Please note that SPG does not count lifetime points. They have history on Lifetime nights and years at Elite status. <added by Starwood Lurker 18May18>
  2. SPG members with a combined 750 SPG nights + 2M after conversion, but not yet LTP (e.g. 10 Platinum years) No. Please note that SPG does not count lifetime points. They have history on Lifetime nights and years at Elite status. <added by Starwood Lurker 18May18>
  3. Case (a) or (b) but using both combined SPG + Marriott nights and points to determine the 750 night / 2M points threshold. No. Please note that SPG does not count lifetime Starpoints. SPG has history on Lifetime nights and years at Elite status. Therefore, it would not be possible to add lifetime Starpoints to your total of MR/RCR points to reach the 2MM threshold. <added by Starwood Lurker 20Jun18>
  4. Members with 750 combined nights and 10 years PLT across both programs. Legacy SPG members OR Legacy MR/RCR members who have 750 nights and 10 years of Platinum Status prior to 12/31/18 will be grandfathered into the new Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite Status. <added by Starwood Lurker 18May18>
There is one answer which indicates that if a member combines the number of nights, has at least 750 and also has over 2m MR points without including any SPG points the member may still qualify for LTPP. There is another answer that seems to contradict that so some people do not trust the answer, but it is there.
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:34 pm

CJKatl, I was aware of the answers on the Wiki. Although it has been made clear that one cannot combine MR and SPG points, none of the ones I saw state "you can only qualify with combined nights and 10 years of status."
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:42 pm

CJKatl, although I was aware of the answers on the Wiki which show that none of the ones I saw state "you can only qualify with combined nights and 10 years of status."
It is clear that the company is taking the stance that since Starwood did not count LT points Starwood points will not be included in any LT totals for the new program. I do not understand why if someone has enough nights showing to get over 2m combined why those should not count just because there might be even more points that cannot be included. To me it makes no sense, but Marriott has consistently taken that position so you are not going to get anywhere pointing out that nothing says they cannot do something when there is no rule that allows them to do something.

You are looking for something exclusionary when you need to find something inclusionary. You need something that says "you are LTPP if..." instead of claiming "since nothing says you aren't you should be."
Old Jun 25, 2018, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl
It is clear that the company is taking the stance that since Starwood did not count LT points Starwood points will not be included in any LT totals for the new program. I do not understand why if someone has enough nights showing to get over 2m combined why those should not count just because there might be even more points that cannot be included. To me it makes no sense, but Marriott has consistently taken that position so you are not going to get anywhere pointing out that nothing says they cannot do something when there is no rule that allows them to do something.

You are looking for something exclusionary when you need to find something inclusionary. You need something that says "you are LTPP if..." instead of claiming "since nothing says you aren't you should be."
Actually, I just wanted to confirm that the other poster wasn't quoting something from a MR or SPG rep that stated that only nights and years can be combined.

I asked William to reconfirm that the answer to B8 was yes.

Although the answer to B8 is clear to me, in order to satisfy any doubts, would the following be an accurate representation of the question and answer?

"B8. Do Marriott members with 2MM uncombined lifetime MR points and with 750 combined lifetime MR nights and lifetime SPG nights qualify for LTPP?"

Answer: Yes.

William's response:

"The answer I posted to B8 contained a "Yes" at the beginning, so I'm struggling to understand why it wouldn't.

This was the answer to B8:

Yes.This is confirmed at marriott.members.com under the Benefits and Lifetime tab where it specifically states, “You can also qualify for Lifetime status via the existing criteria for Rewards and SPG through December 31, 2018.” Existing legacy criteria for earning Lifetime Platinum Premier in MR/RCR is 750 Lifetime nights + 2MM Lifetime points. Also, in August, when members combine Rewards and SPG accounts, their lifetime nights across both programs count toward Lifetime Elite status in the new combined program. To be included in at previous thresholds for Rewards or SPG, members will have until December 31, 2018, to complete stays in order to achieve the Lifetime Elite status."
Old Jun 25, 2018, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually, I just wanted to confirm that the other poster wasn't quoting something from a MR or SPG rep that stated that only nights and years can be combined.

I asked William to reconfirm that the answer to B8 was yes.

Although the answer to B8 is clear to me, in order to satisfy any doubts, would the following be an accurate representation of the question and answer?

"B8. Do Marriott members with 2MM uncombined lifetime MR points and with 750 combined lifetime MR nights and lifetime SPG nights qualify for LTPP?"

Answer: Yes.

William's response:

"The answer I posted to B8 contained a "Yes" at the beginning, so I'm struggling to understand why it wouldn't.

This was the answer to B8:

Yes.This is confirmed at marriott.members.com under the Benefits and Lifetime tab where it specifically states, “You can also qualify for Lifetime status via the existing criteria for Rewards and SPG through December 31, 2018.” Existing legacy criteria for earning Lifetime Platinum Premier in MR/RCR is 750 Lifetime nights + 2MM Lifetime points. Also, in August, when members combine Rewards and SPG accounts, their lifetime nights across both programs count toward Lifetime Elite status in the new combined program. To be included in at previous thresholds for Rewards or SPG, members will have until December 31, 2018, to complete stays in order to achieve the Lifetime Elite status."
The problem is that the sentence which talkes about 2MM lifetime points does not define "lifetime nights". Only the next sentence, which talks about llifetime years, not lifetime points, clearly spells out "combined nights" (as "lifetime nights across both programs").

So without a clear definition of "lifetime nights" in the first sentence, it's not clear to many of us whether it means "lifetime combined nights" (which would make the answer to B8 be "yes") or only "lifetime Marriott nights" (which would make the answer to B8 be "no").;

So by quoting that paragraph as his source, unfortunately StarwoodLurker showed that the answer to B8 is not yet clear, rather than it being resolved as "yes". (That paragraph that he quoted is not new; it was around many weeks earlier.)
Old Jun 25, 2018, 8:11 pm

I have a headache...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.