Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FindAWay
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership – including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27, 2018, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by COMike78
I hit the Lifetime Platinum under the old criteria with 750 night and 2mm points a few weeks ago and never heard anything from Marriott. My online account also still shows me as Lifetime Silver, but a call to Marriott and they confirmed that the back-end systems do indeed show me as being Lifetime Platinum. So to echo what everyone else here has said YMMV.
You jumped from LT silver straight to LT Plat? That's impressive
Old Jul 28, 2018, 3:08 am

SPG lifetime gold and Platinum until 2020 and staying at Asia . Seems like the new lifetime gold not at the standard with Hilton Honors gold, will consider to take all my stay to Hilton later
Old Jul 28, 2018, 5:59 am

I made lifetime platinum this spring and received no notification. Whe I called they said I was showing LTP. I asked them to send me a new membership card which they did. It showed LTP. I show it when checking in. It can’t hurt and might be helpful in getting better room
Old Jul 30, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: Delta-DM, United-Platinum, American-Platinum, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Realized another option to make up for the 107K LT Marriott points gap is to transfer my existing Chase Ultimate Reward points at 1:1. I'd be losing around ~1200 USD in points value but given those should count towards LT Marriott points, I'd hit the 1.6M mark.

Ideally, I'd then transfer them via a TP to a Category 9 + 110K United miles as I have a redemption in mind for 55K united miles each. I'd then have to hope that the Category 9 legacy certificate can be used at a new "category 7" (category 8 in 2019) hotel. If it doesn't I'm screwed as all the hotels for these flights in mind are new cat 7's.

Thoughts?

Originally Posted by ahbitheman
I no longer live or work in the US so all those lucrative credit card offers are hard to now get.

In terms of "clicking a button", I don't think it should affect me? I'll already do the MR - SPG - SPG Spouse - MR transfer before August 18th (assuming I can then cancel the award booking that I'll be forced to book to transfer + 50K MR points and then book my desired SPG property with MR points post August 18th). If I didn't do this before August 18th, then yes I should avoid pressing the button. I think those that should primarily avoid combining are folks 2 years away from 10 years elite that somehow will make both MR and SPG elite this year (that's a lot of nights/stays)
Old Jul 31, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: United 1MM 1K, KLM/AF Plat, BA Gold, Marriott Plat
A question for the group. With the future changes that Marriott is making I feel like I've wasted a lot of money on Marriott and am ready to take my spend (and that of my company) to other brands.
I have 598 nights and 1,329,000 points with them so am short quite a few points to Gold (the valuable one with Lounge access). If the program had continued as is I would have had status that would be useful but with the changes a foot and the loss of Lounge access I don't really see the point. Any constructive suggestions. I could transfer 50K form United and 56K from Chase but don't see a way how to earn that many points in such a short time frame.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EndlosLuft
A question for the group. With the future changes that Marriott is making I feel like I've wasted a lot of money on Marriott and am ready to take my spend (and that of my company) to other brands.
I have 598 nights and 1,329,000 points with them so am short quite a few points to Gold (the valuable one with Lounge access). If the program had continued as is I would have had status that would be useful but with the changes a foot and the loss of Lounge access I don't really see the point. Any constructive suggestions. I could transfer 50K form United and 56K from Chase but don't see a way how to earn that many points in such a short time frame.
I'm a little confused, what are the negative changes? Are you sure you won't have a good LT status in the new program? LT status is far easier to achieve in the new program, IMO. I'm going from no LT status to LT Gold initially, and likely LT Plat by end of the year once I get a few more nights.

If you have 10 years 50 nights or more, you'll soon be LT Plat and keep that lounge access too.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 2:05 pm

The point is I wouldn't need 10 years at 50 nights I would only need about 350K in points. Call me crazy but I don't want to spend a gazillion nights in Hotels. I'd rather earn it through solid spend with as few nights as possible. And there is no way I'm putting 75K of that spend on a credit card to reach the Plat level. How do you expect to get to LT Plat so quickly?
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There's no limit on Chase UR transfers, like there is on United transfers. Are you saying 56k for Chase because that's all you have there?

A pretty complete list of possibilities is in this thread:

The Race to 2.0MM Points is On!

(Your race would be to 1.6mm, but the ways of getting there are the same.)

One simple one you forgot (unless you've already done it this year and thus it's off the table) is buying 50k points for I think $625.

Some actions have to be taken ASAP, including applying for certain credit cards. For example, if you don't have the Marriott business card (and haven't had it for 2.5 years or longer), you may be able to get at least 80k from that (75k signup bonus and at least 5k spend points). But applications for that card may disappear soon (and in any case, rules for getting Marriott/SPG signup bonuses will change radically on Aug 26).

It would have been easier if you'd started planning back when the above-linked thread started. For example, there's now several months less, and so harder to apply for several cards getting several signup bonuses in time. (If you're under 5/24, you might be apply for a Chase UR card you don't have to add to your Chase points. But doing that and a Marriott card too with both bonuses earned before the end of the year might be trickier.)

If you can do 50k from UA, 56k from UR, 50k buying points, and 80k from a credit card signup, then you'd have only 35000 points to go by my calculation. If you can find another person to transfer 35k to 50k into your account, you're then done. (Or if you can do the 50k transfer, from another person, but can't do the credit card signup, you'd be 65k short.)

But of course, all those assumes that you won't earn any points from Marriott brand stays through the end of the year, which is probably not a good assumption. The more you can make use of whatever last-part-of-the-year Megabonus there may be, the more you can earn from points through stays for part of that.

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 31, 2018 at 4:06 pm
Old Aug 1, 2018, 3:21 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA nothing (ex-GS), Marriott lifetime Plat, Hyatt Globalist
The point is I wouldn't need 10 years at 50 nights I would only need about 350K in points. Call me crazy but I don't want to spend a gazillion nights in Hotels. I'd rather earn it through solid spend with as few nights as possible. And there is no way I'm putting 75K of that spend on a credit card to reach the Plat level. How do you expect to get to LT Plat so quickly?
If you are a high spender in terms of $/night, Hyatt is probably the fastest way to a lifetime status.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 5:58 am

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
How many years have you previously achieved status with Marriott? Any prior Gold (50 night level) count towards the necessary 10 years. Years qualified at SPG 50 night level elite also count towards the needed years elite status. (Also any years at a higher elite status in either program)

Are you saying you’e accumulated 598 nights without ever qualifying for Gold or Platinum status with Marriott?

Last edited by Segments; Aug 1, 2018 at 6:24 am
Old Aug 1, 2018, 5:59 am

LT Plat in the new program is 600 nights + 10 years of staying 50+ nights. I'm around 550 nights and have not sure if I have 9 or 10 years. So I qualify for LT Gold and will need 50 more nights (which I'll probably hit end of the year or early in 2019) to get to LT Plat.

Unless there's a new communication I haven't seen, everything I've read so far about the "10 years at Platinum" rule is actually "10 years at 50+ nights". So you don't have to actually be Marriott Plat for 10 years, just Marriott Gold (or SPG Plat, if I understand correctly).

Here's the language on the MR site for those who haven't seen it:HOW ARE YEARS AT TENURE CALCULATED FOR LEGACY MR AND RCR MEMBERS?

We are keeping members “whole” in the applicable night tier in which they earned their Elite status. Example: If a member has 4 years of Elite status at the 50 night level (Gold Elite status) they will be counted in August and beyond as 4 years at the new 50 night level (Platinum Elite status). Only the names of the levels are changing. How we account for tenure is not changing.

My point was you need 2 more nights to reach that qualification for LT Plat status. What you haven't shared is how many years you've stayed 50+ nights. If your normal pattern is <50 nights/year, then your post about needing points quickly makes sense. But if you have a number of 50+ night years, you may be closer than you think, and no need to go on a spending spree.

Last edited by JBord; Aug 1, 2018 at 6:11 am Reason: Edit to add FAQ text
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:35 am

Originally Posted by JBord
LT Plat in the new program is 600 nights + 10 years of staying 50+ nights. I'm around 550 nights and have not sure if I have 9 or 10 years. So I qualify for LT Gold and will need 50 more nights (which I'll probably hit end of the year or early in 2019) to get to LT Plat.

Unless there's a new communication I haven't seen, everything I've read so far about the "10 years at Platinum" rule is actually "10 years at 50+ nights". So you don't have to actually be Marriott Plat for 10 years, just Marriott Gold (or SPG Plat, if I understand correctly).

Here's the language on the MR site for those who haven't seen it:HOW ARE YEARS AT TENURE CALCULATED FOR LEGACY MR AND RCR MEMBERS?

We are keeping members “whole” in the applicable night tier in which they earned their Elite status. Example: If a member has 4 years of Elite status at the 50 night level (Gold Elite status) they will be counted in August and beyond as 4 years at the new 50 night level (Platinum Elite status). Only the names of the levels are changing. How we account for tenure is not changing.

My point was you need 2 more nights to reach that qualification for LT Plat status. What you haven't shared is how many years you've stayed 50+ nights. If your normal pattern is <50 nights/year, then your post about needing points quickly makes sense. But if you have a number of 50+ night years, you may be closer than you think, and no need to go on a spending spree.
Thanks. I've been Gold for more than 10 years. In some cases even Platinum (old MR not new). So based on that I should be lifetime (new) LT Plat by the time I get to 600 nights which should be this year. Appreciate it.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Have I missed any communications on soft-rollbacks in the new programme?

It's to be confirmed but I think I will have 8 years at 50+ level this year, and expect to be at around 60 nights by end-of-year. So I should be at 9 years in 2019.

I dont foresee much travel for the next couple of years, so I'm thinking of a meeting/long weekend away to gain platinum premier in 2018 and 2019, rolling back to Platinum and LT status in 2020...
Old Aug 1, 2018, 12:36 pm

Thanks. I've been Gold for more than 10 years. In some cases even Platinum (old MR not new). So based on that I should be lifetime (new) LT Plat by the time I get to 600 nights which should be this year. Appreciate it.
Everything Marriott has communicated on it is confusing, until you read that text buried away in the FAQ's. I had missed it for a long time after the announcement on the new program. I guess it mainly only affects those of us who are close to one of the milestones.
Old Aug 1, 2018, 6:28 pm

How is anyone able to follow up on this stuff. I crossed the LTP threshold on my account but I remained a Gold almost 3 weeks later

4 day’s after I made it I sent an online message inquiring about my status...2 weeks later, no response
2 weeks after I made it, called, waited 20 minutes, hung up
2 1/2 weeks after I made it, called twice, waited 10 minutes, hung up, waited 12 minutes, hung up
GregWTravels likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.