Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FindAWay
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership – including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 13, 2018, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Since this is apparently a legacy SPG requirement, it might seem logical that it will also be applied retroactively to MR from a fairness perspective.
SPG members knew those rules and were on notice. How is it fair to tell Marriott members that previously unheard of rules will now retroactively be enforced? People relied on the previous Marriott rules. To take those rules away and count a different way at this point would not be fair.
CCIE_Flyer likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 6:51 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
Less than a week to go.

Cannot wait to get this over with. On FlyerTalk, mostly.
Not likely, unfortunately. I suppose if MR were to prove to be extremely generous across the board, this discussion will die a natural death. Otherwise, since they’ve seen fit to declare important details as “proprietary,” one can probably only expect a huge explosion in traffic on the subject beginning in about a week...
Old Aug 13, 2018, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl
SPG members knew those rules and were on notice. How is it fair to tell Marriott members that previously unheard of rules will now retroactively be enforced? People relied on the previous Marriott rules. To take those rules away and count a different way at this point would not be fair.
I see that side of the coin also - and completely agree. I am not arguing in favor of one approach or the other; just lamenting the lack of transparency after all of these months to prepare...
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by Seattlenerd
Less than a week to go.

Cannot wait to get this over with. On FlyerTalk, mostly.
Pretty sure it'll continue until a little after Dec 31st.

Rules aren't that clear and probably will continue to be unclear until after things are settled and they announce the new name of the program on Jan 1st.
kennycrudup and CCIE_Flyer like this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:35 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
I would agree that would suck and people would scream about it. I only pulled the quote as evidence that I believe they will have that rule going forward. I don't expect them to retroactively apply this rule to the Marriott years. I look at this a bit like the UA/CO merger where they had different rules as to what counted towards Million Miler (LT) status. In the end, they did a one-time true up which gave additional miles to UA fliers, then applied the stricter rule going forward. This was done partly because they apparently had the data to do it and partly as a goodwill gesture to the UA stalwarts. I don't see Marriott adding years to the SPG side, but if they end up with some extra years on the MR side, that's fine.

However, to be clear, there were no previous rules on the MR side as to what constituted an earned year of status as they didn't track it. That has been my point all along. Even if they did apply a rule that said some years don't count towards LT qualification, that isn't the same as saying you didn't have that status. They can't retroactively take the status away from you, you already reaped the benefits for that year. They are simply counting up years that count according to the new program.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:03 pm

From what I'm reading, the following qualify for a year of Platinum come August 18:
1. Marriott/Ritz Gold + SPG Platinum earned through nights/stays - Yes
2. Marriott Gold + SPG Platinum earned through status challenges - Yes
3. Marriott Gold through match from SPG Gold - No
4. Marriott Gold from UA Gold - Unsure
5. Ritz Gold through credit card - Unsure
6. Ritz Platinum earned through credit card spend - Unsure

Years are additive so if you qualified for Marriott Gold and SPG Platinum for the same year, that counts as 2 years of status. Someone correct me if there's other info.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:26 pm

Originally Posted by randomasian
From what I'm reading, the following qualify for a year of Platinum come August 18:

Years are additive so if you qualified for Marriott Gold and SPG Platinum for the same year, that counts as 2 years of status. Someone correct me if there's other info.
I think you’re mostly on point here. Having said that, as someone who’s written some code over the years, one of the main questions that seems to be outstanding here is as follows (below being what’s referred to as ‘pseudo-code’):

If year Jan 1 to Dec 31 is equal to or greater than 50 nights stayed:
Add Plat year

Or...

If year status is equal to Gold or Plat:
Add Plat year

The variation between these two could result in wildly different outputs, based particularly on such things as soft landing years (etc).
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by randomasian

The other category that I would list as Unsure is "Marriott Gold + Platinum awarded as soft-landing". SPG will certainly use their own year counter where these will not count.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Fair? The entire new lifetime status system is retroactively applying rules to MR members, that were not previously existing much less enforced.

Suddenly, lifetime points, which many had been trying to accumulate, will not count. And lifetime status years, which never mattered before, suddenly will.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:02 am

Programs: Ritz Carlton
Two lifetime nights in current year

Hi all

I have recently read that this year, Marriott/SPG rewards members have the opportunity to collect 2 years towards lifetime status in case they reach elite status in each program individually.

I am now 80+ nights with SPG but 10 nights short of Gold (future Platinum) with Marriott. Does any of you know if I only have until Aug 18 to get the 10 nights (which is impossible), or if I have until end-of-year / or until I decide to merge my accounts? (Example: I will continue staying with Marriott houses until I reach 50+ nights in September and only then merge the accounts. Will these count as 2 lifetime years than?)

I know that most of the answers on this will be speculation, but maybe someone has had the same question and got a response by Marriott?

Thanks
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by beone
Hi all
I know that most of the answers on this will be speculation, but maybe someone has had the same question and got a response by Marriott?
Marriott has been very consistent in stating you have through the end of the year to qualify for the year under each of the legacy program rules. Even though the new program starts in a few days there are supposed to be counters showing nights under the legacy programs. Combining your accounts should also have no impact on qualifying under existing rules, so do not be mislead by posters who spread the rumor that combining matters, although only legacy Marriott hotel nights would qualify to count towards legacy Marriott qualification, not Starwood nights.

Right now you get ten nights credit for holding a meeting at Marriott hotel brands. While that is apparently going away, you still have a few days to potentially knock off your ten nights under the existing rules, so you might want to look for the Marriott forum thread on holding a meeting. Or you can just get ten more Marriott nights under the existing program. Although it appears you will likely also get ten nights for your first meeting in the new program, there is some ambiguity around the new rule and some scary language about having an account cancelled if you hold a meeting when you are not an actual meeting planner that under an abundance of caution you might want to hold off holding a meeting until we see how the new rules are actually applied.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:07 pm

Programs: Ritz Carlton
Marriott has been very consistent in stating you have through the end of the year to qualify for the year under each of the legacy program rules. Even though the new program starts in a few days there are supposed to be counters showing nights under the legacy programs. Combining your accounts should also have no impact on qualifying under existing rules, so do not be mislead by posters who spread the rumor that combining matters, although only legacy Marriott hotel nights would qualify to count towards legacy Marriott qualification, not Starwood nights.

Right now you get ten nights credit for holding a meeting at Marriott hotel brands. While that is apparently going away, you still have a few days to potentially knock off your ten nights under the existing rules, so you might want to look for the Marriott forum thread on holding a meeting. Or you can just get ten more Marriott nights under the existing program. Although it appears you will likely also get ten nights for your first meeting in the new program, there is some ambiguity around the new rule and some scary language about having an account cancelled if you hold a meeting when you are not an actual meeting planner that under an abundance of caution you might want to hold off holding a meeting until we see how the new rules are actually applied.
Thanks a lot for your response on that - so given that I have planned 10 nights anyway in the coming month, it seems that I wouldn't need to go through the trouble with the Meeting-trick (which I have spend the last hours reading about ).
Do you by any chance have a source in which Marriott has been officially stating that members have until end of year to qualify for the legacy programs? Would like to save this for my documentation, in case at some point issues might arise...
Thanks
Old Aug 14, 2018, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by beone
Thanks a lot for your response on that - so given that I have planned 10 nights anyway in the coming month, it seems that I wouldn't need to go through the trouble with the Meeting-trick (which I have spend the last hours reading about ).
Do you by any chance have a source in which Marriott has been officially stating that members have until end of year to qualify for the legacy programs? Would like to save this for my documentation, in case at some point issues might arise...
Thanks
You can find this in so many places, including the sticky at the top of the SPG forum, the draft of then new T&Cs and in the members.Marriott site within the promotional materials. The quote on members.Marriott is straightforward:
You can also qualify for Lifetime status via the existing criteria for Rewards and SPG through December 31, 2018.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:25 pm

Programs: Delta-DM, United-Platinum, American-Platinum, Marriott-Platinum, SPG-Platinum
Question that is still applicable to this thread if you're aiming to meet LT points via SPG points. I initiated an SPG spouse transfer 4 business days ago. The points haven't even left my account yet. For those that have done this. Does whatever day the transfer happens show both a debit in your account and a credit in your spouses? Cutting it super close!!
Old Aug 14, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by ahbitheman
Question that is still applicable to this thread if you're aiming to meet LT points via SPG points. I initiated an SPG spouse transfer 4 business days ago. The points haven't even left my account yet. For those that have done this. Does whatever day the transfer happens show both a debit in your account and a credit in your spouses? Cutting it super close!!
SPG doesn't track LT points. It has been well established here on the Marriott forum that SPG points do not count towards LT Marriott status. You would have to have your spouse transfer points from their Marriott account. However, there has been a recent data point that a MR to MR transfer didn't count towards LT status anymore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.