Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Print Wikipost

Singapore St Regis [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2008, 10:18 pm

Programs: QF,VS,SQ,SPG,IC
There have already been a couple of excellent reviews but I’ll add my thoughts from a female perspective.
We stayed 4 nights using half points 50PRG. As a Plat, I was upgraded to Executive Suite, including breakfast. Even though it is not the style I’d use to decorate my home, I did not find it at all ugly. My daughter, on the other hand, thought it was gorgeous and would have loved to take home one of those Murano glass lamp bases. Rather than the visual impact, I was more impressed with the size, quality and comfort.

What I liked most about the room:
The windows in the lounge room form a V shape. When you stand in the corner you feel almost suspended outside the hotel.

Everything feels nice, the fabrics, the carpet etc. Long time since I’ve enjoyed touching anything in a hotel room.

The bathroom - For 2 women travelling together this was a treat; two vanities, heaps of full size Remede products, beautiful quality robes, soaking tub and fantastic shower with heated mirror. No chill after your shower or waffle weave here. It was luxurious. The TV just looks like a tinted area of mirror until you turn it on, snazzy.

Oh, and the ironing board- OK, that may sound strange, but I am an avid ironer. In most hotels, the board either leaves dirty marks on clothes, rocks back and forth while you try to use it or needs an engineering degree to set up and collapse. ^ for the ironing board.

Little criticisms about the room:
Although the lighting control panels near the bed are very nifty looking, I agree they are not simple to use. We got used to it… after a couple of days.

Makeup mirror - to be fair I haven’t found a hotel yet that provides a really well lit makeup mirror, I reckon that would deserve adding an extra :-:. There was a lit magnifying mirror which had that flattering light that makes you look good, if you stand in front of it. Unfortunately when you hit daylight you find you either look like a painted lady (too much makeup) or you missed covering the disaster areas (too little makeup).

Speaking of disasters, I would not expect anyone (read Butler) to see me when I first wake up so I took my travel kettle for that essential very early coffee. Tea and coffee making facilities are not provided in the room, of course if you wake up looking good, that may not bother you.

The Service: Except for a couple of minor glitches it was top class. What I liked most was the genuine warmth from the staff. In some hotels every greeting seems scripted and the smiles almost robotic. On the other hand I once stayed in a very expensive hotel where an “aloof” attitude was an understatement, even the smallest request was a bother and I was made feel it was a privilege to be allowed to stay there. The St Regis made us feel like valued guests.

The Wine Tasting: We did not go for 2 reasons. First, after walking around in the heat and humidity all day, our makeup was melted, hair frizzy and clothes crumpled. It just didn’t seem worth doing a complete makeover for a glass or two of wine. Second, if I drink on an empty stomach, I just get tired and want to sleep.

I would like to make a suggestion to the hotel about this. You have great staff and chefs so why not turn this into more of an event by serving some special hors-d’oeuvres on silver trays? If the food was really good, I think it would encourage people to dine at your restaurants. We had dinner at LaBrezza one night but also intended to try Les Saveurs and didn’t. If we had attended the wine tasting I’m sure we would have.

To conclude: After a couple of days this hotel feels like a comfortable home, but a very luxurious home. Returning late in the afternoon to find the lights dimmed, soft music playing and having the butler bring tea on a silver tray is not life as I generally know it. My daughter and I have very different taste, but we both agree about this hotel, we want to go back.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 10:45 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
To sum up my experience there: best hotel experience in my life to date.
Old Jun 6, 2008, 10:50 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
To wrap this up and not make it all about HSIA:

Despite the most minor things not being perfect this was hands down my best hotel experience in my life.

I believe what really made this experience for me was the genuine caring by the staff.

Dorian
Old Jun 7, 2008, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by faithwins
- The Butler will bring you complimentery tea and coffee 24/7...
(Trying hard not to get too far off topic)
Are tips expected or tolerated for this type of service at this hotel?

TIA!
Old Jun 7, 2008, 7:13 am

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
It is so nice to see the profile of this Hotel lifted as it is as we read these posts well deserved. I think the staff is genuine. In Asia I feel tips are not expected but done in the right way of course appreciated. A tip given in private to your Butler would be ok.
Old Jun 7, 2008, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

suites seem like a good value considering they include jetquay quayside and bentley transfers.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 8:53 pm

Programs: UA 2P, Hertz #1 Gold, Starwood Gold
I have an upcoming stay at the St. Regis Singapore in a Lady Astor Suite, which includes airport transfer. However, I contacted the hotel and was told that this transfer would be by Mercedes Benz E200 and not by Bentley, and would not include the JetQuay service.

Does anyone know if this is a new policy? Has anyone else had this experience.

Thanks.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 9:49 pm

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
I am staying there for the weekend starting tonight.. can't wait !!!
Old Jun 28, 2008, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Earned status with AA, DL, SPG, HH, Hyatt, Marriott, Seabourn, NCL, National, Hertz...I miss my bed!
Originally Posted by couscous
I am staying there for the weekend starting tonight.. can't wait !!!
Were you the dashing gentleman dining next to me at breakfast this morning at Les Saveur around 8 am? :O
Old Jul 4, 2008, 8:42 am

Programs: UAL 1P, Bonvoy Plat, Delta Silver Med, AA Gold
Thank You St Regis Singapore

Hi all,

I just had to share a bit of good news. My partner and I are going to Singapore and Bali in August, in part to celebrate a milestone birthday for me (okay, I will say it---the big 5-0).

At the start of the trip we will be staying at the St Regis in SIN. Since we are coming from FLL and will have been in transit for approx 36 hours by the time we arrive, I decided to email the hotel to inquiry as to whether I can redeem starpoints for the Bentley arrival service. I also casually mentioned that I am celebrating a b-day and hope for kind treatment from the hotel. Also mentioned that both my partner and I are both plats.

Well, I received a reply within 24 hours that, as a gesture of the hotel, they will arrange for the Bentley arrival service, an upgrade to a suite, and a b-day cake all gratis to me. Wow, that is service! It immediately makes me a fan of the brand even though I have never actually stayed at a St Regis until this upcoming visit.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jul 6, 2008 at 10:14 pm Reason: Merged into property master thread without edit
Old Jul 4, 2008, 9:57 am
Community Director Emerita

And if you want to whet your appetite even more, read the posts in the master thread. They have been glowing. The property clearly is positioning itself to be one of the top new hotels in the world.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jul 6, 2008 at 10:15 pm Reason: Now merged into linked thread
Old Jul 4, 2008, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

make sure to take advantage of the jetquay quayside service.

(comes along with bentley transfer with suites)
Old Jul 4, 2008, 6:02 pm

Programs: SQ S-PPS, UA 1K, HH Diamond
My new favorite hotel in Singapore

Just completed my first three night stay at the St. Regis. I was upgraded to an executive suite and had breakfast included. Both were fantastic as others have noted. I had been a long time Grand Hyatt Singapore person, but will change. I've stayed at the Hyatt at least every year for 13 years including one extended stay and they still treat me like it's my first visit. I get the feeling that St. Regis will welcome me back.

It's not as convenient as other hotels if you use the subway, but I didn't mind the walk, and taxis were easy to hail. A couple small nits: those light controls are crazy. If you want to see the time in the middle of the night, it's not easy to find the night light switch. I also had to call the butler for help with the curtains, but we eventually figured it out. I went to the invited wine tasting, but perhaps my expectations were too high. They were pouring some mediocre and bad wines the night I went. I sent one back it was so bad.

Otherwise, everything was excellent and I will definitely be returning!
Old Jul 5, 2008, 6:06 pm

Programs: QF,VS,SQ,SPG,IC
Talking I'm green with envy.

wanderlustFL, I had a birthday recently, not nearly as good as yours.
I want to say congratulations but I think you've done very well already so
Old Jul 5, 2008, 9:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
And if you want to whet your appetite even more, read the posts in the master thread. They have been glowing. The property clearly is positioning itself to be one of the top new hotels in the world.
Indeed, I was scheduled to stay at this property when they officially open this past April but arrived one day later due to a last minute schedule change. Thankfully, I still get to stay there and didn't miss a gem. Like I said in the Singapore SPG properties thread, this hotel is quite incredible. The service was defintiely above and beyond the call of duty. The spas was one of the best I have been worldwide and the food, both breakfast and dinner were trully excellent. This is the first SPG hotel I have been to that trully deserves a level 6 category.

That said, not all St. Regis are equal. It would be dangerous to assume the service level of this St. Regis can be duplicated elsewhere. I am saying this based on experience. Although I am generally quite happy with the St. Regis properties, this property stands out on its own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.