Last edit by: lcpteck
Print Wikipost

Singapore St Regis [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
I would say to be equipped with knowledge aforehand as to what is and is not a standard suite at this property.
Yes, thank you for having pointed that out upthread.
Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
if we are talking about securing an upgrade in advance...regrettably, no, since complimentary Platinum upgrades are subject to availability at check-in.
No, we are not talking about that at all. I understand completely about the availability issue.

My question was directed a bit more towards actions to take/not take in the event that Lady Astor Suites ARE available and not being proferred as upgrades to Plats.
Thanks! Dave
Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:08 am

very interesting thread, well ... i'll be staying at the St. Regis SIN this weekend 30/1 - 1/2, thanks to the MC promotion.

when redeeming the stay, I spoke directly with the staff at the property and asked about their upgrade policy for Plats. I was informed that Plats would be upgraded to the Lady Astor Suites, upon availability at check-in. But, I missed out asking how many of such suites were available at the property.

so, will find out for myself, if such an upgrade is truly adhered to.

cheers!
Old Jan 27, 2009, 11:14 am
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by Squzair
... But, I missed out asking how many of such suites were available at the property...
Ten total. Eight non-smoking, two smoking, from what I can tell.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Jan 27, 2009, 12:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by guybaxy
Does anyonw know what a standard upgrade at this property isd?is?

We stayed at this property Friday/Saturday 23/1-25/1 on the Mastercard free nights promo. As a plat received no upgrade. I checked the website and there were grande deluxe rooms and executive suites, however, they apologised and muttered something about no standard suites available. They offered free broadband internet or free pay for view tv as compensation (although they are not required to). As it was our wedding anniversary, they gave us some fudge cake and a bottle of Moet Vintage 2003.

We love the free bfast (which they give plats as no exec lounge) and the butler service for coffee and tea was excellent and fast
Originally Posted by guybaxy
Well I booked executive deluxe room, when I checked on the site there were, grande deluxe rooms, lady astor suites and also executive deluxe suites. Of course they lie, they don't want to honour the SPG t & c, if they can get away with it. There is no way you can argue with them, or know exactly what their policy is. Why would they want to upgrade someone who has gained two free Mastercard nights after all, in thjeir view there is no revenue for them at all.

They said that they would upgrade me on a next visit. Of course that would also be subject to availability. What a joke. The best way is to turn up at the property with your laptop and book a suite (or better room) in front to fhtme, but hard if the time is after 4pm though. You might end up paying for two rooms!
You say two different things.

I could be wrong, but I think we've had a discussion about online inventory. It may not be real time accurate.

Old Jan 30, 2009, 9:41 am

Interesting, no suites appear for booking at all for last MC promotion day.

However, using a friend's SET code, I can see the Lady Astor Suite and Manhattan Suite available. No Executive Deluxe Suite though.

Hope the Plats have better chance this last weekend here.
Old Feb 8, 2009, 10:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat, SPG Plat/LT Plat, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, MR Silver
I've seen reference to Plat's being provided free breakfast here. Is that still the case? Was it ever the case as a standard?
Old Feb 9, 2009, 12:33 pm
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
This hotel has had some changes since opening. Some have affected SPG benefits and upgrade policies.

Initially when they opened, they didn't offer breakfast as a Platinum Benefit, but now they do regardless of room type assigned. A poster above mentioned free internet as a new benefit, I cannot confirm or deny this, but it would be a welcome perk.

At one time, the upgrade for a platinum was a given at this hotel. Now you have to fight for it... and then be lucky to receive one. This isn't as posters will have you believe an occupancy issue. This is a conscious management decision, but a bad turning point for SPG Platinum members.

I had a long, a very, very long check-in in January, where it was unfolded to me, albeit peice by peice, that they allocated some of the suites, and that upgrades will not be the standard, that most members will not get a suite, available or not. It appears that someone has decided to go after revenue instead. When I checked-in, even though a suite was available, I was denied the upgrade. I ended up in the suite (how I did, still amazes me) but it was no easy task. It appears a smoking room may be an easier upgrade, as that option was offered much quicker than any other.

As another member posted, the standard rooms they have are great. It isn't the fact that a non-upgrade results in a poor stay. It's that this hotel made a diametric change in policy. From almost absolute upgrades, to the new non-upgrading standard, they have surprised and dissapointed some of their biggest fans.

Other misc. notes...

They seem to have a high turnover of staff. Many of the Opening Management Team and opening (regular) staff have changed. The rumor in Singapore shortly after they opened was that occupancy was so low that people were affraid to apply for jobs here, 'They have more staff than guests. No one's sure they'll even make it'. The occupancy has increased as the prices have come to a more reasonable level, but I think this hotel still has a bit of a challenge to fill itself up.

The second in command at this hotel, Susan Richardson, brought a magic with her (originally from St Regis, San Francisco, IIRC). She seemed to always be around, leading, and actively interacting with the guest. I've been in the business a long time, and was amazed at how she inspired and cultivated great service from her team. It appears that this is the biggest loss to the hotel, as Ms. Richardson has left for a position at Raffles Hotel. It's my opinion after my stay last month, that some of the magic that made this hotel so special, left with her.

Although I hear many positive comments on the breakfast, I was dissapointed by every aspect of it. The restaurant is lovely, but the service is abizmal. (This theme echos through Singapore, but shouldn't be that hard to get a harness on.) The food selection is so-so, and the food quality good, but compared to the excellence shown elsewhere in this hotel, the restaurant missed by just a bit in my opinion. I know food costs are a concern, but if you mix that with the poorly trained (or poorly disciplined) staff, it falls short of the St Regis expectation.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 6:43 pm

Programs: QF,VS,SQ,SPG,IC
I'm planning a 3 night stay in Singapore early May, 1 paid, 2 award. I have stayed at the St Regis before but not the Sheraton. Originally I was going to stay at the Sheraton because of the new lounge, but now the St Regis is a category 5 I'm undecided.

Any Plats stayed there recently? I'm not asking about upgrades but rather what else to expect. Did you get free breakfast or the wine tasting, internet, anything else, particularly if no upgrade was available?

I know the rooms will be superior to the Sheraton, but I'm not sure the extra dollars (Aussie exchange rate) and points, is worth giving up lounge access if I end up with a standard room and nothing else.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 7:43 pm

I'd be interested to know the recent Plat stay experience as well. I am thinking of booking an award (12K SPG points) at this hotel (another consideration is Conrad at 35K HH points).

My stay will fall on my Birthday (as well as my SQ F flight from SYD-SIN). Being a Plat + staying on my B-day, I hope that combination may land me an upgrade (as people seem to report that Plats have not been receiving upgrades at this hotel).

Burn 12K SPG or 35K HH?
Old Mar 10, 2009, 8:48 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, A-Club Gold
If you're checking in on a Thursday, you can get as low as S$690 for 3 nights using the Z3H code. Including taxes, it works out to S$271/night (i.e. $175) for the Executive Deluxe.

Finally including the points:
1) Starpoints = 900 points ($1=2starpoints)
2) NAN Promo = 1,500 x 3 = 4,500 points
2) Busy Customer Service = 500 points

With 1 Starpoint = $0.035, your room cost comes down to S$165/night.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 12:46 am

Programs: QF,VS,SQ,SPG,IC
Thanks for the info larrylim and welcome to Flyertalk.
I want to use points for this trip, in fact I'm only paying for a night here and there to keep my Plat requalification on target. The reason is the aussie dollar. Last year it was worth around 98 cents US but is now around 64 cents and who knows where it will go from here. It has also lost ground with the Singapore and Hong Kong dollar.

I tend to hoard points and so it seems a good time to burn some when overseas. I agree the Z3H are terrific rates for the St Regis, it is shame our dollar has nosedived.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 12:52 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, A-Club Gold
Thanks for the welcome!

After typing out my reply, I realized that it's actually quite a good deal so I booked myself 3 nights for next week. FYI, the price increased slightly to S$750 before taxes.

The Aussie looks quite stable now. I took the opportunity to convert some of my RMs to AUDs (dropped from A$1=RM3.20 to A$1=RM2.30) for my kid's future university expenses. He's 9 months old btw.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 2:48 am
formerly known as 2lovelife

Location: ORF : UA_Premier_Gold4Life, Bonvoy_titanium, Accor_Plat
As a platinum, you should expect a nice room, free breakfast, welcome ammenity, and late checkout if required.

It is a great hotel. If you're burning points check if cash and points are available too.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 3:52 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
Just a quick note to say thanks for the Z3H hint. Tried it for my dates later this month, but no joy, so tried Z3R instead and it worked a treat. The nightly rate went up slightly, but saved a good chunk of change overall, so thanks for the tip. ^
Old Mar 16, 2009, 1:20 am

HMMM

Rates here are falling like bungee jumpers in Cairns. just had a peep and the best rates are now at SGD 345++ (approx. USD 230++).

at first glance i'm happy, but on second though i'm getting worried... the prices hv come off from SGD 600 to almost half that. i hope the hotel can weather this financial storm...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.