Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Nice, France [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2023, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Le Meridien Nice, France [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2009, 3:14 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Originally Posted by bdraco
I stayed here last night. I got upgraded to a deluxe room. No suite upgrade (you might have better luck if you book a smoking room however).

Highlights:

The internet connection was super fast so free UMA calls back to the states were a plus.
The a/c could have been quite a bit colder but was tolerable.
the service at the roof top restaurant was abysmal (the view is great though).
The room recently renovated as described by others in this thread.
Overall I would definitely come back if I was staying in Nice again.

On a side note,
I did a segway tour which I highly recommend: http://www.mobilboard.com/
You have a better chance of an upgrade also off season
I thought air con was actually very good
Old Aug 31, 2009, 3:18 pm

Back from a two night stay at LM nice

Trip report as promised (not my first time at the hotel - been a few times over past three years)

ARRIVAL - offered amenity and chose WINE (highly recommended was fairly decent). Given upgrade with sea facing room. But unlike other rooms I have had in the past this room had no balcony. I've worked out that all proper balconies are on the top 3 floors (7 + 8 + 9)

ROOM - average. Size fine and unlike other rooms the bathroom and lavatory were "together" - not separate
Hairdryer wasn't working properly
No "do not disturb sign"
Small things that are "annoying" coupled with not having a balcony

SERVICE - check in fine as usual. So far so good. Wine came fairly quickly - we enjoyed that but next morning seriously regretted not having the "do not disturb" sign as people continually opened the door
Left the room and was amazed when we came back at 1800 that the room had not been cleaned. Annoying - especially as we were "attacked" all morning with people opening and closing the door. We went for a walk having phoned room service and on return the room was still being cleaned - waited patiently 15 mins - again annoying

BEACH - 18 euros per pax. DEFINATELY NOT WORTH IT. Badly run - had to wait over 30 minutes for a drink having ordered a perrier. Didn't appeciate having the waiter decide to tip himself despite the horrendous wait. Not a good immage for SPG - find it strange that LM used that beach (it is not run by LM). Sun beds very very "worn"

CHECK OUT - given late check out - good
Parking downstairs 23€ a day - very convienient

Didn't use bars this time but the rooftop bar has an amazing view - as mentioned by many

Overall - think that August is not the best time for LM nice - too chaotic. My experiences "off season" have been much better. Hope I don't have a similar experience at the beach next time
Old Sep 1, 2009, 2:13 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Thanks for the report!

I have a deluxe room with balcony reserved, and I know the hotel will be very busy, so not a great chance of a junior suite upgrade. How much nicer are the junior suites? Is it worth 20k points to get a confirmed junior suite (for five nights) -- not that they've offered it but sometimes I'm successful by kicking in extra points.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
Thanks for the report!

I have a deluxe room with balcony reserved, and I know the hotel will be very busy, so not a great chance of a junior suite upgrade. How much nicer are the junior suites? Is it worth 20k points to get a confirmed junior suite (for five nights) -- not that they've offered it but sometimes I'm successful by kicking in extra points.
No way - the junior suite is better (obviously) but if you have a balcony you'll be fine.

Differences? Bigger room - much bigger bathroom and probably the best thing separate bath and walk in shower
Oh and bigger balcony

But still I would just use your charm and try and get upgraded
Old Sep 2, 2009, 11:14 am

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Programs: IC Royal Ambassador
Just returned yesterday from a short stay there....the last place on a short series of trips.

We drove up to the entrance. The staff very efficiently unloaded the car (even though it was 1am...though not a smile or a word from any of them!

Check-in: very efficient; very pleasant; greeted by name before I even made the staff aware of who I was! We had booked, at late notice, a classic room; we had wanted to use instant awards at check-in, though, we were told we had been upgraded to a deluxe room (which would have been a 9,000 point upgrade using instant awards), so we were pleased, as this was the room type we were expecting to use points to upgrade to. We weren't offered a Platinum gift, and forgot to ask about it.

All the luggage (and no bellboy) was in the room by the time we got up there.

The next day, I went down to ask about using instant awards to upgrade to a junior suite. I was very rudely told that there were none available at any time during our stay. And whilst waiting for my wife, an American couple checked-in at the Gold/Plat desk, were told that their classic room was upgraded to a deluxe, and then, they made a huge, long fuss, and were upgraded to a junior suite. I don't mind that I wasn't upgraded to a junior suite at check-in....no problem with that at all, but I did feel I should have been allowed to use instant awards to buy the upgrade if it was there....instead, just because a couple made a fuss, they were given a Platinum upgrade to a junior suite! Doesn't seem right.

I eventually remembered about the Platinum gift, and upon asking for the options, was told that I had no option for a Platinum gift, so just left it. I logged on today to find the Platinum amenity on my SPG account.

The staff at the rooftop bar and pool were excellent. The staff at breakfast were brilliant. The desk staff were, generally, really brilliant, except for the incident described above.

At checkout, we lost the car key, and could not find it, The bellboy was brilliant in helping us look for it. We couldn't have asked for anything more.

The desk staff, who had also checked us in, was also brilliant, helping us with the kids, carrying stuff, etc.. It was very much appreciated.

When we arrived, the car park was full, so I parked on the street. The street meter parking operates Monday to Saturday, free on Sundays and bank holidays. They have two controlled times: 9am-12.30pm and then 2pm to 6pm; it's Eur 1.30 per hour. So I parked for free on Saturday night and the whole of Sunday. Weekdays, spaces were easy to find until about 6pm-ish, when it would become very busy.

The beach is a dead loss. The Le Meridien's small piece of beach in Nice is full of loungers which a small, narrow stretch of pebbles. The adjacent beaches are horrid, and littered with cigarette butts. Better to drive to Cannes and use one of the many private sandy beaches there....which we did. It was a 25 minute drive, the car parking was more than easy (underground parking for about Eur12 for about 6 hours), and there were so many beaches. We found a nice one and spent the day there. It was about Eur46 for two loungers with a parasol (though there were many at a fraction of the cost, and a few which were more expensive). Lunch on that beach was Eur140 for two adults and a child; the staff were great and the facilities were very well maintained, for instance, toilets seemed to be cleaned every hour, at least.

Internet access at the LM was 0.60 cents per minute with a maximum of Eur23 for a 24 hour period.

The LM is not a luxury hotel, but good enough for a comfortable stay.

Last edited by Shantanu; Sep 3, 2009 at 2:24 am
Old Sep 2, 2009, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
You just saved me a bundle with that parking tip!!

Since the local Avis place is closed on Sunday, I'm picking up a car Saturday at 5:30pm! Now I won't have to pay Sat/Sun parking, just Monday night.

Thanks!
Old Sep 3, 2009, 2:36 am

Location: London (UK), Kolkata (India), and a part of the Netherlands you wouldn't like to visit (aka Purmerend)!
Programs: IC Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by beachfan
You just saved me a bundle with that parking tip!!

Since the local Avis place is closed on Sunday, I'm picking up a car Saturday at 5:30pm! Now I won't have to pay Sat/Sun parking, just Monday night.

Thanks!
Glad to help! You should be fine parking on the street on Monday night when it will be free....just be careful with the parking in the daytime on Monday.

Also, there are a lot of places where people park on the street at night time, where you can't park in the daytime; what you find is that the road sides are full in the evening; every possible bit of road adjacent to a pavement is occupied by parked cars, however, by the morning, all cars are confined to the 'payant' spaces.

It avoids confusion if you make sure you get yourself a marked 'payant' space, which is a metered space. This is free every evening, all day Sunday, and on French public holidays. You only pay at a 'payant' space Monday to Saturday, 9am-12.30pm (I think), and then there is free parking until 2pm, when charging resumes until 6pm. You will see 'payant' written on the actual road beside the parking spaces - it's very very clear.

Unlike Paris, you can use coins in the meter for parking....so if you don't have any, you will need to ask the hotel for a stash of Eur 1,2 coins and a couple of 50, 20 10 cent coins.

Lastly.....if you've been to France before, you will know you need to get the full insurance on the car rental as everyone will bash against your bumper when parking!

Enjoy your trip!

Last edited by Shantanu; Sep 3, 2009 at 2:44 am
Old Sep 30, 2009, 9:15 am

I just returned from a great stay at Le Meridien, and the parking tips were quite valuable.

Indeed, if you park Saturday night or Sunday at a Payant spot, and put in a couple of eurs, you are actually paying for Monday morning, so I didn't have to rush out early to move the car.

Got a junior suite (it was a special occassion) and service was great. I can say it was the weirdest (and not in a good way) designed room I've ever been in. I thought the space could have been much better used. However, the bed, the view, the bathroom and the balcony were great (the view and balcony are awesome).

I got charged city tax on an award stay which I thought wasn't appropriate, but I couldn't get them to remove it with the amount of discussion I was willing to have on it.

Also, as others have mentioned, the location is a little noisy, but it is a great location. Go a hundred years and you're on Rue Massena, the liveliest new town street, and go two hundred yards and you are in Vieux Nice. Great food at all price ranges available.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:19 am

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Bus number from airport.

Earlier posts mention a bus runs from the airport to right in front of the hotel. Does anyone know the bus number and the name of the stop?
Old Aug 10, 2010, 11:35 am

Programs: A few
Unfortunately I don't remember, but I do know that once we exited out of the airport to the bus depot on the left (directly attached) there was no issue finding which one to take. The staff selling tickets was also helpful when we verified it with them.

Cheers,

Adrian

Originally Posted by beachmiles
Earlier posts mention a bus runs from the airport to right in front of the hotel. Does anyone know the bus number and the name of the stop?
Old Aug 10, 2010, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

98. Don't remember the name of the stop but you can see Le Meridien and cannot miss it.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 2:07 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by TerryK
98. Don't remember the name of the stop but you can see Le Meridien and cannot miss it.
Thanks, we've been to Nice several times before and taken the cab. Seem like a pretty straight shot. We'll look for the bus and save some cash for breakfast.
Old Aug 11, 2010, 12:30 am

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Thanks, we've been to Nice several times before and taken the cab. Seem like a pretty straight shot. We'll look for the bus and save some cash for breakfast.
Will we have issues with cab or bus given that there are 2 adults and 2 kids?
Old Aug 11, 2010, 12:33 am

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
What's happening in Nice on June 13, 2011? Le Meridien Nice and Sheraton Nice both are sold out!

Le Meridien Beach Plaza in Monaco does have room. How far away is it?
What mode of transporation do you recommend going from Nice to Monaco?
Thanks,
geclub1
Old Aug 11, 2010, 10:16 am

Programs: Starwood, AA
it's about 30-40 min by bus. straight shot from downtown Nice. cost EUR 1. however, LM Monaco is not in the center, but out of town the other way. so add maybe another 20min to get into center and get the bus to Nice. buses are normal city buses, speedy, clean and nice to use. no issue. the ride is pretty.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.