Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Le Meridien Nice, France [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 24, 2023, 5:41 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2013, 9:04 am

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ

They should be offering Breaky still
Haven't been v recently but I'm sure they've still got it as an amenity

As already pointed out - well worth it

Still think that - position wise - this is one of the best hotels in Nice
Old Sep 19, 2013, 3:49 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold *woodPlat LHFTL Marriott Lifetime Plat.
My wife and I stayed here for a couple of nights, using points, at the end of August. Was "upgraded" to a sea view room with a walk on narrow balcony. Paid 500 points in total for a full breakfast (including omlettes etc.) for both of us for two days. The location is excellent-right on the promenade and only 10 minutes easy stroll to the old town of Nice, but the property itself is starting to show its age and is beginning to need an extensive refurbishment. Staff were very good. Easiest way to get there from the airport is by cab: approximately 35 Euros. There is also a bus, but it gets very crowded and if you have any kind of baggage quite hard work.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by friedberger
Paid 500 points in total for a full breakfast (including omlettes etc.) for both of us for two days.
I assume you meant you took the Plat amenity of breakfast for 2 for the duration of your stay rather than 500 points.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 8:53 am

Does anyone know how many points are required for the Deluxe Sea front Rooms?
Old Dec 15, 2013, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
Does anyone know how many points are required for the Deluxe Sea front Rooms?

It was 2500 more per night than the regular redemption when we stayed there. (as listed in my post up thread) I would call SPG to double check.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 8:05 am

Does anyone have any experience staying here in the off-season? Is the hotel generally quite a bit more quiet? I'm thinking of a couple of nights in early December, travelling up from Tunis.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 1:25 am
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by makin'miles
Does anyone have any experience staying here in the off-season? Is the hotel generally quite a bit more quiet? I'm thinking of a couple of nights in early December, travelling up from Tunis.
I stayed toward the end of January doing the opposite of what you did. Went from Nice to Tunis. Anyway, the hotel didn't really seem quiet; they appear to play host to small convention-goers throughout the year though. I met a bunch of people from Texas during my stay. Be warned that you don't get control of the heat in your room during winter. If you get a warm spell, then you'll have to sleep with the windows ajar.
Old May 4, 2014, 1:00 pm

Programs: Starwood Platinum,Marriott Platinum, United Silver
Any recent experience of typical Platinum upgrades here? Are the honorable about suite upgrades when one is available? Thanks.
Old May 4, 2014, 2:27 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Junior suite in Jan. It's prolly better now that it's spring.
Old May 4, 2014, 6:13 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by stevens397
Any recent experience of typical Platinum upgrades here? Are the honorable about suite upgrades when one is available? Thanks.
I stayed a couple of weeks ago and got only the room that I booked - an Executive room which looked a lot smaller than the photo. I got the sense that they were relatively busy, though Junior Suites were still available online even though my SNA fell through.

I thought the whole experience was pretty "meh", but I think that might just be Nice in general.
Old Jun 5, 2014, 9:00 am

Programs: Delta, AA, BA, United, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond, SPG Marriott Gold, Sixt Platinum
Very let down at check in

I have bee platinum for several years. Checked in an hour ago, no upgrade, had to ask about breakfast. They told me I was Gold not Platinum. Insisted that a supervisor check my status, came back Platinum , free breakfast but still no upgrade.
I pointed out that my humble room assignment was probably based on incorrect information. Still no upgrade. I will check back in the morning. Will be here for 5 nights.

Not starting out happy. Emailed GM.

Edit 2 days later:
All is well and Lesson Learned Confirm !!!

After 2 nights of our 5 night stay we got upgraded to a wonderful Jr Suite.
I could have avoided the confusion by making a phone call ahead of time, to confirm details. The mistake in my status could have been corrected ahead of time and some upgrade may have been waiting for us upon arrival.

Maybe things worked out for the best , since the upgrade we got was better than any on previous stays. Very happy .

Last edited by beachmiles; Sep 9, 2014 at 6:17 pm Reason: Update
Old Sep 9, 2014, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Had a 4 night stay here in August in a Deluxe Sea View Room. Hotel was full as can be expected at this time of year. As noted by others, the pictures of the pool do not accurately reflect the very limited space around the pool and the inability to lounge at the pool. Access to Ruhl Private Beach is available across the street at a rate of €22 per person for lounger, umbrella, and towel.

The rooms are adequate although the carpet and furnishings seem a bit worse for wear. Overall the staff seems very attentive. Dinner at La Terrasse was very good.

All in all it is a difficult property to rate. Location is great, most staff are really attentive, but the tired aspects of the physical plant and the underwhelming pool are difficult to overlook.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Sep 9, 2014 at 5:46 pm
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Had a 4 night stay here in August in a Deluxe Sea View Room. Hotel was full as can be expected at this time of year. As noted by others, the pictures of the pool do not accurately reflect the very limited space around the pool and the inability to lounge at the pool. Access to Ruhl Private Beach is available across the street at a rate of €22 per person for lounger, umbrella, and towel.

The rooms are adequate although the carpet and furnishings seem a bit worse for wear. Overall the staff seems very attentive. Dinner at La Terrasse was very good.

All in all it is a difficult property to rate. Location is great, most staff are really attentive, but the tired aspects of the physical plant and the underwhelming pool are difficult to overlook.
Just spent a quick night here passing through to Monaco. Attempted to use a SNA, but despite there being multiple suites available 5 days out, everything disappeared within 48 hours. Would echo the thoughts above: great location, useless pool, room had chipping paint in multiple spots, view from roof was great.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 5:53 am

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
My comments exactly, literally, exactly. Jerry's one sentence basically sums it up. I suppose if one just needs a place to crash whilst getting to and out & about NCE, it's ok. Not great, not horrible, just ok. With those realistic expectations in place, one could enjoy it as a base for a weekend in Nice & surrounds. If the hotel would grasp the nettle in terms of the bits that Jerry rightfully says are difficult to overlook, it would be amazing (yet may then charge "amazing" prices beyond what it already hits you for).

Was upgraded to a "gardens & sea view" room on the top floor. The room has a large terrace with an awning that mechanically retracts at the touch of a button so easy to have a roof over your head or an open-air feel whilst on it. The room is indeed a bit small. The couch is a vinyl/leather along-the-wall thing you wouldn't/couldn't relax in for any length of time--you could sit and check an e-mail or two, or to set something on the coffee table, but that's about it. If you have work to do, and prefer to do so in your room, there is no desk or work area. The couch is not something you'd want to sit and work in for a long time, the coffee table is a bit low for office-type work, but if you're a lie-in-bed and work on the laptop type, might be ok. With no desk or counter top, there is just a coffee-table level table between the couch & the bed, an a plastic ikea-style ottoman under it. The negatives aside, there is definitely an amazing view, overlooking the beautiful promenade, gardens/park across the street, and seashore along the coast of the old city, up to the old citadel on the hill. It is a truly amazing view. As it faces eastward, you don't see the sun itself from late morning onward,, but to watch the glow of the old city at sunset, along the sea shore, was quite stunning. To watch the sun rise over the old city, again, stunning. The terrace has a table & two chairs, and a couple of reclining/lounge chairs, and doesn't feel like the small balconies below (as described in previous posts). The sea-view rooms face the sea directly, so no view toward the gardens nor Old City, but the trade-off is a possibly easier view of the sun over the sea. There are "corner" rooms on the top floor where in the terrace is HUGE. A plus of the top floor is the convenience of being on same floor as fitness centre and pool, as well as the rooftop bar. I can't imagine any room on the top floor with a bad view. The west half, and west side of the same building is actually a different hotel, Le Mercure Nice Promenande de Anglais. If you need a view then, whatever you do, DON'T settle for a room on the "inside", the atrium is hideous - just a blah building & windows and a floor of rocks at the bottom - no plants, no landscaping, no architectural features, nothing.

SPG recognition: beyond the very nice upgrade, there was a nice note from the manager, with a couple of tips about local galleries/exhibitions in Nice, and a nice box of chocolates on the table on arrival. SPG Platinum's do not get free breakfast--and the front desk staff was quite firm on this (friendly, but firm) and was told I could select breakfast as a platinum amenity. The breakfast is apparently fairly good, from the posts above, and the view from the cafe over the sea is nice for when one is grabbing their free cuppa (no to-go cups, must be consumed in the cafe), but for me, I opted for the points, the free cuppa in the cafe, and a croissant at a local Old City bakery down the road.

Fitness Centre- "average" in terms of hotel gym equipment. The entrance thru the hotel spa on the top floor says it closes at 7pm along with the spa, yet there is subtle door to it to the left of the hotel lifts/elevators down hall, with a sign on it saying it closes at 10pm, and that was accurate. As the hotel is literally at the seashore, a run along the coast was great option.

Coffee/Tea: no in-room coffee/tea making, but you get a couple of vouchers for a latte/cappucino in the cafe by the lobby.

From the airport: VERY easy to get to from the small NCE airport, you literally walk out of arrivals and the bus stops are right there, with the one you take being the first one you practically walk into: #98 bus, takes 20 minutes,costs 6 eur. Turn around, and there's the office where you get your ticket for 6 eur. (coming from the airport, pay at a ticket office literally next to the bus stop just outside arrivals,coming from the hotel, stop is just around the corner, pay cash to the driver). One could walk it in about an hour, a lovely walk along the sea, if one was so inclined and had the time.

Last edited by skye1; Dec 17, 2014 at 6:07 am
Old Dec 25, 2014, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by skye1
My comments exactly, literally, exactly. Jerry's one sentence basically sums it up. I suppose if one just needs a place to crash whilst getting to and out & about NCE, it's ok. Not great, not horrible, just ok. With those realistic expectations in place, one could enjoy it as a base for a weekend in Nice & surrounds. If the hotel would grasp the nettle in terms of the bits that Jerry rightfully says are difficult to overlook, it would be amazing (yet may then charge "amazing" prices beyond what it already hits you for).
Excellent review and I agree completely. The seaview room balconies are unusable for anything other than standing. We also took to having breakfast at a local boulangerie. They've had quite a years to try to figure out some remedy for the pool area but so far nothing has been done and it is difficult to understand why they don't have some regular upgrades occurring during the off-season to replace the frayed carpet and repair other issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.