Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel & Towers - [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2015, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ElevatorEnthusiast
As of June 2023, evening service is in the 2nd floor Lobby Lounge, and breakfast is served in The Cafe - main hotel restaurant - for all Plat+ Elite guests.
Print Wikipost

Sheraton Hong Kong Hotel & Towers - [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:04 am

Originally Posted by vg247
Correct, Platinums get the excellent breakfast in the main lobby restaurant. The lounge is just for fountain drinks 24/7 and appretizers with basic alcohol evenings.
Originally Posted by zakami
I don't believe the lounge is open for breakfast. All Platinums receive breakfast at the restaurant.

I'm not a platinum. I'm asking how it works, if it works, with the SPG AMEX BIZ that provides Sheraton lounge access.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by SHLTP
I shop based on value more than on budget typically (my spend on hotels is 100% out of pocket) so would be willing to pay standard room JW and get upgraded to lounge etc now than pay for Towers in Sheraton.
Is the standard room at JW really cheaper than Sheraton Towers rooms? It looks like an implicit assumption in your post, but I just want to double check that this is actually the case.

Originally Posted by nas6034
I'm not a platinum. I'm asking how it works, if it works, with the SPG AMEX BIZ that provides Sheraton lounge access.
I don't know if they actually recognize this benefit at Sheraton HK. Should they? Probably. But I don't really know if they do.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 2:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by nas6034
@Check-in simply present the card to show proof they should give you lounge access. If they don't give SPG an call and it'll be fixed.

It's amazing whenever I'm at sheratons I over hear the person checking in next to me arguing about this policy w/ the FD agent. I feel SPG should be better informing there properties about this as it's been quite some time now.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 2:18 am

Planning a 3 day stay here in March and am looking for a little guidance on the best/cheapest upgrade path to a nice tower room. We are bringing a friend and showing her HK for the first time, so we want to try for a view room if possible.

Correct me if i am wrong, but it is my understanding that we can book a basic "Superior room" in the main hotel and then upgrade to the "Tower Deluxe" via Pts/HK$. Once that paid upgrade is processed are we precluded from further Platinum upgrades from there, i.e. for a "harbor view"?

We have SNA's as well, but it seems like probably not the best property to spend those.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 2:34 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Delete

Last edited by SHLTP; Feb 25, 2017 at 10:06 pm
Old Feb 5, 2017, 6:26 pm

I wouldn't recommend using SNAs at this property. They upgrade either to Harbor View Room or Suite without a view most of the time - I think I have a 99% upgrade rate. I've been staying there for 14 years 3-5 times a year typically and can't remember not getting a decent upgrade. I also can't remember having a bad stay.

Platinum upgrades do not include upgrades to a Tower Room. I've never gotten one upgraded, ever.

I'd suggest booking a regular room and then asking when you arrive the upgrade cost to Towers w cash or points or booking in advance. Towers is nice. Nice lounge and nice views which contrasts w a terrible plat lounge. Probably worst one in a asia I've been to and weak even by North American standards.

Im not sure paying for Towers is worth it just for View (you can get upgraded as Plat) unless you want their evening lounge. You can also go to the top restaurant/ bar to eat or have a drink to get the views without paying for hefty Tower rates.
Thanks. This is pretty much what i thought. I was just curious if i should proactively reach out to the hotel prior to the 5 day timeframe and see if they will offer a tower room for pts (2500) and then hope for a Plat upgrade to a better view room at check in.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 6:33 pm

Delete

Last edited by SHLTP; Feb 25, 2017 at 10:05 pm
Old Feb 5, 2017, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by machineblue
Planning a 3 day stay here in March and am looking for a little guidance on the best/cheapest upgrade path to a nice tower room. We are bringing a friend and showing her HK for the first time, so we want to try for a view room if possible.
Unless you need the stay credit at SPG otherwise I would suggest you book the standard, double-bedded room at JWM instead. The double-bedded room is sold as standard room like the king bed room but the size of double-bedded room is 4 to 5 sq meters bigger and they are all corner rooms. Each floor has 2 such rooms at 2 corners and 2 twice as big suites on the remaining 2 corners of the floor.

We just finished a 5th night free redemption in JW by transferring 60K SPG pts over to Marriott. Based on the suggestion on Marriott forum (someone even dug up a floor plan to show me), I specified double-bedded room in my booking. At Marriott bed types are guaranteed even for gold, as well as lounge access. We got a room on the 34th floor the same floor of the 2nd level of the 2-level lounge, facing the ocean with the opening between buildings, that we can see IC HKG on the Kowloon side. It also allowed us watching the CNY firework display shot up from 2 out of the 3 barges. In the lounge dining area you can also see 2 out of the 3, such as if the barges are numbered as 1, 2, 3, we see 1 and 2, and from lounge dining area you can see 2 and 3. In the TV viewing room of the lounge you can see all 3 barges.

Lounge offers breakfast, afternoon tea and evening drinks with substantial foods. Much better than the Conrad lounge.

There is no construction anywhere near the JW. So I gather the other poster refers to the construction by Renaissance which is in Marriott family but it is not named Marriott. People in Marriott forum tend to call Ren for Renaissonce brand. Rooms in Ren are much smaller though.

Admiralty location is super convenient as it is the hub for metro system. For native HKGers we much prefer the Island side than the Kowloon side for the quality of living. With the metro it takes no time for you from Admiralty to get to TST if that is your preferred location.

Personally I think the SPG to Marriott transfer ratio has open up some great opp to redeem premium Marriott properties.

Last edited by Happy; Feb 6, 2017 at 11:15 am
Old Feb 6, 2017, 4:00 am

Programs: QR/AC Gold, VA Silver, IHG Plat, Bonvoy Gold
I am looking at staying 5 nights at Hong Kong. Last time I stayed at Sheraton Towers Room using 58000 points, and paid cash upgrade to Towers Suite, which was fantastic, as I enjoyed the breakfast at Oyster Bar as well as Cafe downstairs.

However, with the merger with Marriott, I can use 60000 SPG points to stay 5 nights at JW Marriott. I am Gold for both of SPG and Marriott now.

Can anyone advise whether JW Marriott is much better than Sheraton HK Towers? I am tempted to try it out as I have never tried a JW before. I will be travelling with myself, wife, and 2 small kids (age 5 and 2).
Old Feb 6, 2017, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Ambassador here, have been staying the last 4 years at the W, but considering branching out for an upcoming 3 night stay.

Typically, Ambassador at the W gets me a slightly larger room, a free welcome drink and....it's on top of the mall. That's about it.

Can I expect more from the Sheraton? It's also 12,000 points instead of 20,000 points, so that's a huge sell to me...
Old Feb 6, 2017, 11:47 pm

Delete

Last edited by SHLTP; Feb 25, 2017 at 10:05 pm
Old Feb 7, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
it is a real toss up since w and Sheraton so different in style and position. I have about 10 stays at w and many more than that st Sheraton - all very solid stays. Comes down to style and cost for me between two.
Perfect, this really helps. To save 24,000 SPG points, and see a part of the city that I usually don't spend much time in, I think I may go with the Sheraton this time. Any Ambassadors have experience with "above platinum" treatment?
Old Feb 7, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
TST is definitely more interesting (to me) than the Elements/West Kowloon area. I would call your Plat Concierge to see if you can book directly into a towers room. (I'm not familiar with Ambassador so I can't advise there)

I'm still dreaming about the sheng jian bao (pan fried soup buns) I had around the corner over there:
https://wongeatshongkong.wordpress.c...eung-hing-kee/
http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-china-blog-35259633 (note the move to TST has been completed)
Old Feb 7, 2017, 3:33 pm

Delete

Last edited by SHLTP; Feb 25, 2017 at 10:04 pm
Old Feb 17, 2017, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Someone posted in Marriott Hong Kong Properties thread, said when he booked a Tower Room even on points, he was guaranteed breakfast at the cafe at the lobby or the restaurant, plus Tower lounge access. Hence he was debating whether he should spend 60K SPG pts for 5th night free at JWM where as a gold lounge access is guaranteed, but 58K SPG pts for 5th night free at Sheraton for the Tower Room as he said last time his family had free breakfast at the Cafe and restaurant and access to lounge even though he was just SPG Gold - all because he booked Tower Room. The poster did not mention about additional cash upgrade.

I found this a bit too good to be true based on what have been discussed on this thread. I must have missed the bit about Tower Room guaranteed free breakfast even you are non-status guest, let along lounge access. This property has never been known to be generous...

I also suspect the AMEX Biz Card benefit would only get you to the poor lounge, not the nice lounge at this property.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.