Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Kansas City at Crown Center [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Kansas City at Crown Center [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2011, 8:46 pm

Programs: Delta/NW Plat, HH Diamond, Nat Car Exec
Stayed Saturday Night Feb 19. Property in need of renovations. Club Lounge really poor. Service low, food low, smelled bad. Hotel room got so hot thought I was in a Sauna. Controls did not work, called guest services, response was no air in winter. Maint was dispatched to room. Fixed, cool air came on, then stopped. Fixed again by making sure heat would not come on again. Room freezing two hours later, no heat to offset. Ive was just status matched a couple weeks ago to SPG Plat as Im Hilton Diamond. After staying at Des Moines Sheraton the night before I find these Sheratons tired and the staff weak and under performing.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 6:09 pm

Programs: Free Agent
I’ve stayed here several times over the years, and this is a decent Westin. The hotel is right across the street from the World War I Museum and Union Station. Am always upgraded to a SPG level room, but only once to a corner room facing the Museum, and never to a suite. There’s no dedicated Gold/Platinum check-in line, which would be really useful at a large property such as this. They do have a token Gold/Platinum placard though, but it’s a formality in this case.

Rooms are spacious, and the desks have several power outlets for you to use. Water pressure is a bit low on the higher floors though. The hotel has a large gym, with a $5 fee that’s waived for Golds and Platinums. The hotel has a Lounge, but it’s closed on weekends. Upon checking in, the front desk apologized, but refused to offer anything in its stead. As a Platinum amenity, you can choose continental breakfast, or use it as a $12 credit towards something else.

Last edited by Condition One; Jul 22, 2012 at 6:21 am
Old Oct 11, 2012, 9:48 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Stayed there 2x in the past few months... both times had to "discuss" my upgrade with the property... They upgrade to their Garden Suites which are a large corner entertaining space connected to a king bedded room or a double bedded room. The suites aren't anything special if you are staying alone but the extra space is nice when there is another guest with you.

There are 4 of these per floor.

Also, the club lounge is closed on the weekend and I was told that they would provide full breakfast in the restaurant as a result.

The property hosts the NFL teams in town to play the Chief's and also lots of weddings/groups on the weekends but is still pretty decent though, on my last stay, they took 1 hour (and 4 calls) to bring foam pillows to my room. The desk manager on duty the next day apologized but did not offer any compensation or even some sort of gesture for the pretty significant inconvenience.

They are about to undergo a lobby renovation supposedly and, for Kansas City, remains one of the best options in the city with respect to quality (unfortunately that isn't saying much).
Old Oct 12, 2012, 5:34 pm

Used to stay here everytime I was in KC but it got so dated I finally started staying downtown where all the action is.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 6:16 pm

Skip this place... They are very understaffed at the desk, the line for Plats has no specific area. They need to do something to remedy this, huge line.

No upgrade offered "we have you in a double room". I asked for a suite but it was like pulling teeth. Ended up in a double room with a parlour attached. Room in poor repair, scratches over everything, Amazing view but marred by the fact that the windows are filthy. Two balconies with doors that don't open.

Club lounge had no plates, dirty dishes everywhere, and dust near the entrance. Unattended.

First and last stay at this property.

The lobby was quite nice and the view of the World War 1 Museum and Memorial was spectacular.
Old May 23, 2015, 9:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Any more recent reviews?
Old May 29, 2015, 2:41 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
I'm not sure if something changed or if my stay was unique, but we just had a great time at the Westin. My Platinum status was acknowledged and we received an upgrade to a "Garden Suite" which as people mentioned is a huge entertaining room connected to a large king bed room. We were thrilled with the space and the views (16th floor, overlooking the WWI Museum). The lobby and the room were perfectly clean and consistent with the other Westin properties we've been to. No complaints at all.

Yes, the pool area is cumbersome to get to and walking through the exposed concrete interior reminds you of an unfinished parking garage, but the pool itself was a refreshing and full of guests enjoying the Memorial Day sunshine.

The Club Lounge was also very nice. Sure, it's not as spacious as the Sheraton Crown Center lounge (which was actually a former restaurant space), but it had everything you could expect from a lounge (snacks, chips, veggies, hot apps, beverages, etc).

For some photos you can refer to this post.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 5:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPLT
I just stayed there and would classify the experience as "acceptable". Entirely unremarkable; nothing was wrong and the room was fine. Staff was neither noticeably pleasant nor unpleasant. A fine place to stay if the location is convenient for you. I did have a nice view of the memorial, but that's not particularly important to me in a stay.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 2:14 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Took a while to find this thread - mods, please rename to Westin Crown Center, not Crown Plaza.

I'm not staying here but was visiting Crown Center and Union Station. Unshockingly, I found myself in the elevators. While riding down, I encountered one of the friendliest bellhops I've seen. Very conversational, and they assisted another guest with their misplaced jacket collar that the guest hadn't noticed. If this is at all reflective of service quality here, wow, I was impressed.
Old May 27, 2023, 7:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
This is a late post, though I've been pretty busy the last few weeks.

I spent two nights at the Westin during the MCI BBQ DO the first weekend of May. My last stay was August, 2017 when Coldplay was in town and the property is basically the same as it was back then.

Due to the NFL Draft, the roads were a disaster around the Westin. Parts of Pershing were open for local traffic to the Westin, though the parking spots on the street were blocked (for no reason, IMO).

I am Lifetime Gold which isn't much, but I was hoping for some recognition..even a simple thank you would have been nice. During the check-in process, the agent didn't say a word and wasn't particularly welcoming. I inquired about any available upgrades and mentioned being LT Gold, though she claimed everything was sold out (yet there were several premium rooms available on the Marriott website as I stood in front of her). I asked about waiving the parking fee which she said she couldn't do ($25/night), but she offered me some discount at breakfast. I declined as it was a BBQ weekend and breakfast was pointless to me. I ultimately parked in the 2300 block of Grand Blvd (northeast of the Westin) for free throughout the weekend. There are a number of homeless folks in the park, but my car was not touched throughout and the area was well lit.

The room was on the fifth floor which overlooked Pershing and Union Station. Noise wasn't too bad throughout the day/night and the room was clean. The internet seemed a bit slow, but I didn't use it too much. Other attendees got large suites (two pics below) and we visited the club lounge during the stay. It's pretty basic and it located off the lobby and open 24/7 with a variety of packaged snacks and a cooler with pop/water/juice.

On Sunday morning, I didn't plan to eat breakfast, though joined some folks and ate. It was surprisingly good and relatively well priced. The hostess was a bit rude, but the waiter made up for it with wonderful service.

Overall, the stay went about as well as I expected it would. I continue to hope we will get a full service Hyatt in the KC area someday. Until then, the Westin is my go-to when the Hotel KC is obnoxiously priced.

SEA777GUY and DELee like this.
Old Sep 26, 2023, 3:23 pm

Programs: British Airways Silver, United Silver, Marriot Titanium + LT Gold
Just stay here this last weekend. Was "upgraded" to a larger corner room with 2 double beds on the 17th floor. Was nice enough. Good size room for 3 adults and a toddler. Breakfast the first day wasn't terrible. My eggs and my wife's eggs were under cooked for our liking. We didn't get to eat breakfast the 2nd day as the wait was too long for us. The lounge was awful. The drinks fridge was almost always empty and there were never any snacks out other than granola bars. Didn't really have many interactions with staff. Wasn't a terrible stay, but wasn't spectacular either.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.