Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Kansas City at Crown Center [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Kansas City at Crown Center [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2009, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Priority Gold, National Executive
Thanks for the tip. I have written to customer service with my issues.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 12:05 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Not bad...for a Motel 6

Arrived at about 10pm and was met at front desk by a very enthusiastic pimple-faced kid at check-in (think Kenneth from 30 Rock minus 15 years).

Took my ID and credit card and said with no small amount of attitude: 'I guess you want the points, right?'

'Sure,'says I. And he says 'you've been 'upgraded' to the 16the floor.'

I ask if it's a suite and he says derisively 'sir, we only have 2 rooms left. And neither are suites.you're lucky to have a room tonight.'

Ok. This is a US property. What did I expect?

Well, teenagers in the elevators touching all the floors, natch! YES! A hotel full of high school volleyballers! So. Very. Awesome.

Luckily my room has neither a heavely shower nor a decent mininbar though! Whew!

One redeeming thing about this place: when I couldn't decide between a Guiness or a Stella at the bar, the waiter suggested 'why not one of each!?'

Duh!!
Old Apr 4, 2009, 9:09 am
Community Director Emerita

Koko has given an excellent visual of the hotel. Without a suite upgrade, there is little to recommend it. It's an adequate hotel - but so is the Four Points at the airport which is $75 cheaper when you add in free parking.

Koko, I was offered free internet as a plat. You should check if you weren't. Then, again, it was on my bill this morning.

My telephone doesn't work. That means no one can call the hotel and reach me. I advised the hotel of the problem yesterday. I came back to the room last night with a scrap of paper on the desk saying they had been unable to fix it.

Teens are everywhere in town this weekend. There are volleyball, wrestling, and basketball tourneys. Oh, and there was a Britney Spears concert on Thursday night. There was a group of 65 girls at Jack Stack last night.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 10:13 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
I dunno about the internet. When I opened IE the Wifi wanted me to agree to pay which I did not do. But when I opened Firefox, it didnt ask me to pay. We'll see.

I forgot to put my DND out last night, so got a knock on the door from housekeeping at 8:15am

BTW, in defense of this Motel 6, there is an excellent gym with lots of newish treadmills and a complete weight room. The sign says I'll be paying $5 for having used it, but we'll see about that, too.

[follow up] Policy there is to charge Plats for internet but not the gym. After a few words with the front desk at check out, they charged me for neither. ^

Last edited by kokonutz; Apr 4, 2009 at 2:08 pm
Old Apr 4, 2009, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kokonutz
'you're lucky to have a room tonight.'
Oh, I don't know, I thought that's why hotels took reservations.

To be honest, being walked might have been better for you.
Old Apr 4, 2009, 9:04 pm

Today, on departure, the young thing denied that the hotel offered free internet to plats. She was implacable, even when told I was offered that on check in. In the end, it was comped due to service problems. They do waive the $5 gym fee for platinums.
Old Apr 9, 2009, 8:47 am

KC Westin Crown Center

I stayed there pretty recently for a conference. Was on the top floor with a nice city view. I was told that they had just reopened my renovated room the same week. I had a chance to see other, non-renovated rooms, and it looked like mine got new paint (blue) and new curtains. (I could still smell the paint!)

The renovationed rooms were an improvement. Still, I think the other facilities (meeting rooms, banquet food, etc.) were better than the rooms. Not the best room, but not the worst I've been in, by any means. The staff was very helpful.
Old May 17, 2009, 10:52 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, WOH Globalist, Marriott LT Titanium, MSC Dia, Nespresso Club, ZTL Queen in Italy
This is my last night of a 3-night stay here. I too had a late check-in around 12:30-1:00am on a Friday night.

Check-in was somewhat prompt. The hotel is undergoing "renovations" the staff stated....

For late-night food, the menu was pretty limited; so it was nice that the front-desk staff recommended another food choice that delivered late night. (Not the best food... but nice to have other choices.)

No suites were available for Platinum upgrade... but they stated that I was upgraded to a corner room. Certainly was larger than the standard room, in a triangle-L shape.

There was always a taxi waiting outside the hotel to bring me to the convention center. So no worries about the transportation.

I have a feeling from a previous poster that my room has already been upgraded, (blue drapes, nice bathroom fixtures) -- but I think this property still has a way to go.

If I visit Kansas City again, I would stay here again. But... if there was an Aloft in town (in the downtown area) I would rather stay there.
Old May 17, 2009, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Today, on departure, the young thing denied that the hotel offered free internet to plats. She was implacable, even when told I was offered that on check in. In the end, it was comped due to service problems. They do waive the $5 gym fee for platinums.
The hotel subsequently did a backcharge for fees which I had been told on check out had been waived. I had to call their accounting department 3 times in order to get this rectified. This has certainly put me off future stays.
Old May 17, 2009, 8:02 pm

Programs: US2, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Add me to the list of people who were unimpressed with this hotel. No upgrade of any kind, hotel filled with lots of teenagers (do they actively target them or what?), and then the charges for parking and Internet (they could comp one or both for plats seeing as how there are really no other benefits to staying there).

It's a convenient location, and the doorman was the friendliest I've ever encountered. Beyond that, there was nothing redeeming about it and I don't plan to return.
Old May 17, 2009, 8:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by travelista
If I visit Kansas City again, I would stay here again. But... if there was an Aloft in town (in the downtown area) I would rather stay there.
I stayed at both the Sheraton Suites (Country Club Plaza) and the Sheraton Sports Complex (across the street from Kauffman Stadium). The Suites was very, very nice and I got the biggest suite I've ever gotten at the Sports Complex Sheraton (a 2-room suite bigger than my first apartment -- and the whole place is newly remodeled), along with a plate of chocolate covered cherries and strawberries and big, homemade chocolate-bottom cookies. If you're doing business downtown, the Sports Complex hotel is about 8 miles from 9th and Walnut (which is where I went last week).
Old Oct 6, 2009, 9:17 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, MVP Gold 75K, HH Gold
I stayed here last night and had a nice 17th floor view. I slept well, received good service (from the valet to the room service), and paid a fair rate. I was only in the hotel about 12 hours, but I'm guessing the location is nice enough.

I have to agree, however, that this place needs some upgrades. Personally, I don't really get the aesthetic of indoor waterfalls and foliage. But there's no accounting for taste, I suppose. While the wallpaper, fixtures, and carpet all need some attention, nothing stood out to me more than the outdated electrical power distribution in my room. There was a common Walmart power strip between a chair and a night stand. And a complete and total rat's nest of chords under the desk (no fewer than 9 extension chords of one type or another).
Old Aug 14, 2010, 2:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Any updates on this property? I'm staying here for a night in September.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 9:29 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
I stayed here for a night recently. There were still lots of teenagers staying here and some of the same issues I've read about in previous posts. My room on the SPG floor seemed like it needed an update, although the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom seemed old and more like a Four Points than a Westin. The shower only had one shower head. The pool/gym area was nice. Even self parking seems pretty expensive here. I prefer to stay at one of the Sheratons in the area. In my opinion, the Aloft in Overland Park is even nicer than this Westin, and far less expensive.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA Premier Exec, DL, HHonors Blue, Starwood Gold, Hertz 5*, Marriott Silver
The wife and I just returned from a stay at this hotel and really enjoyed it. As a disclaimer we had just come from 4 days at her sister's where we slept in a camper trailer at night under 5 blankets and spent the day in the presence of 4 under-10 boys and one under-1 baby as well as various parental units tied to each of those children and her parents as well.

I booked this hotel for its proximity to the National World War 1 Museum and got a mid-week rate of US$92.76 a/i. We arrived very early (10:45am) and I actually expected to have them hold our bags and then check in after the museum, but instead we were checked in, upgraded (?) to a 14th floor city view room, and given our coupon book for the Crown Center. The room view was great and my wife was tickled that the T-Rex outside Union Station was wearing a Santa Hat (he was photographed and named San-T-Rex ).

After the museum and a bit of shopping we grabbed some food from the Crown Center and headed back to the room to unwind. My wife was just getting over a headcold so while she rested I went back into the shopping fray armed with the coupon book from the front desk. It saved me about US$10 on a few little gifts and trinkets (as well as US$4 at the museum!).

The room was comfortable and the service we got from the front desk was very good. I don't know if I would stay in this hotel again, only because it is more of a shopping and conference hotel, but the proximity to the museum I wanted to see and the service we received was excellent.

As an added bonus we didn't need 5 blankets, weren't in a camper, and weren't woken up at 6am by her father banging on the door wanting us not to "waste the day in bed."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.