Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Kansas City at Crown Center [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Kansas City at Crown Center [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2007, 10:40 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
I stayed at this hotel a couple of months ago. I found it lacking any character but was fine for a business stay if you had to be in the immediate area. I didnt like the fact that they closed the restaurant over the week of Thanksgiving when I was there and only had a limited menu in the bar. Not what I expect in a full service hotel. Nothing wrong with the rooms but nothing exciting about this place either. It does not feel like a Westing but more like an older Sheraton...still decent rooms but service is poor.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 5:40 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, National Exec Elite, Hertz 5*
I just stayed here this week and am going back for another week tomorrow. The above review is spot on. I found the carpet in the halls to be very worn and needing replacement. The hotel was very busy with lots of conference goers. I found myself thinking I was in a Sheraton all week not a Westin. I found the dining options to be very disappointing. Being on a per diem, I just can't eat anywhere I want without my wife wondering what I'm up to. If anyone has some recommendations for where to eat I would love to hear them.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 5:55 pm

Plenty of choices in the Plaza, and it's only a 15 min drive away.
Old Nov 10, 2007, 9:53 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by nova474
Plenty of choices in the Plaza, and it's only a 15 min drive away.
Yep. There are some decent restaurants around various parts of KC but the Plaza has pretty much anything you need.
Old Nov 11, 2007, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
If you can move to the Sheraton Suites you might be better off. Just got back from a stay there. Less than a 5 minute walk to the plaza area where there are probably 15-20 restaurants. We went to an italian place (can't remember the name)....not fantastic but it was ok. Here's the website for the plaza: http://www.countryclubplaza.com/
Old Nov 12, 2007, 8:57 pm

Programs: Marriot LT Titanium/Hertz PC/UA 1MM 1K
I'm at this place pretty regularly. I'm never real excited to be staying here and for some insane reason the Shertaon Plaza is not on the "preferred list" with my company, but the Overland Park is. Wierd.

But the rooms are are very plain- and you can tell by the very limited contents of the minibar. I think the candy bars have been in there for years.

The bar downstairs is pretty basic- and anything service express takes quite some time- as a Plat that stays here every other week.

The Valet service is always very slow- even if you call down in the morning for the car, you still have to give them your ticket as if they never bothered to pass the car # on to the people brining it up.

The fitness area is pretty nice on the flip side and was impressed with this. Everything was very up to date here.

One of the pluses though for this location is Bentons. This is the rooftop Bar/Steakhouse. They typically have decent wine, and the steaks are very good. Prime quality. View isn't so bad either. Only problem that I see with Benton's is that is closes at 10 and the elvators are shut off to get there. Thats a shame since sometimes I come in late from other cities and would like to be able to sit up there and have a nice glass of wine and possibly a steak after 10. But this is typically just for Wednesday nights.

As a whole, I'd give the place a C+. But there are much better Westin's I've stayed in and quite a few worse Starwood properties. Sheraton Overland Park is much nicer, but its in Overland Park. Shertaon Crown Plaza is also nicer, but like I said, I can't stay there too often, unfortunately since its in a much better location.

Oh- and staying here 20+ times YTD as a Plat- I have never been upgraded.

So there.
Old Nov 13, 2007, 1:44 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jw713
If you can move to the Sheraton Suites you might be better off. Just got back from a stay there. Less than a 5 minute walk to the plaza area where there are probably 15-20 restaurants. We went to an italian place (can't remember the name)....not fantastic but it was ok. Here's the website for the plaza: http://www.countryclubplaza.com/
The Sheraton Suites is on the Plaza, it is a zero minute walk.
Old Nov 14, 2007, 8:00 am

Programs: DL DM MM, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, National Exec Elite, Hertz 5*
As an update I did find a great BBQ place last night. Jack Stack BBQ just on the other side of union station and about a 10 minute walk. Very good and reasonably priced. http://www.jackstackbbq.com/

Other side note, the Sheraton Suites isn't on my list for my company, and it really wouldn't work as the office is across the street. So I guess this will have to do.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 8:45 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Priority Club, Hhonors
Anybody ever had a suite here? I'm going for 2 weddings (one in March, one in April) in KC and the Westin is the hotel for both. Since these are personal trips, and my wife doesn't get to get out much, I'd like to get the coolest room possible.

From one post in this thread, it sounds like the platinum upgrade is worthless, so I may have to shell out some dough/points to get a suite. Just curious as to your experiences in suites there. I need to decide if it's worth it.

Thanks.
Old Feb 14, 2008, 9:49 am

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LTP, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by bigdel1
Anybody ever had a suite here? I'm going for 2 weddings (one in March, one in April) in KC and the Westin is the hotel for both. Since these are personal trips, and my wife doesn't get to get out much, I'd like to get the coolest room possible.

From one post in this thread, it sounds like the platinum upgrade is worthless, so I may have to shell out some dough/points to get a suite. Just curious as to your experiences in suites there. I need to decide if it's worth it.
I stayed in this hotel last October and I did not receive a suite as a platinum. That said, I was given a room near the end of a top floor that was rather spacious. I know another platinum staying at the same time as me received a similar room.
Old Apr 28, 2008, 8:42 am

Programs: Skymiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage, Starwood Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Priority Club, Hhonors
Just got back from staying last Friday and Saturday nights. I had to ask for, but did receive a GREAT suite upgrade. The lounge room in the suite was HUGE with great views. It was located on the corner of the wedge shaped building, so it had great views in both directions. I think 1742 is the number. Any room with #42 should be a great experience if you can get it. It came with a Murphy bed so you could also stay in the lounge area without an adjacent bedroom.

Last edited by bigdel1; Apr 28, 2008 at 12:28 pm
Old Apr 30, 2008, 9:47 pm

Programs: SPG, AA Elite, HHonors, Hyatt Gold
Am currently in a standard room on the 17th floor at the Westin Crown Center. Furnishings are OK, but not great. Carpet is in good shape. I did notice a sign in the lobby this morning stating that the lobby and guest rooms will be undergoing renovations in "late fall".
Old Jan 4, 2009, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
What renovations will be taking place?
Old Feb 14, 2009, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Priority Gold, National Executive
Just got back from a three night stay here. The top four floors are currently undergoing renovations. When I checked in, they asked me if I had a problem with the water being shut down the next day from 10 am to 3 pm. Lucky for me no, but what about others.

I checked in to my first room and found the toilet dirty and unflushable. I had also pre-payed for a room with a king and got two doubles. They changed my room to a smaller with two doubles, but at least the toilet was clean and in working order. No room service menu so I went downstairs to get a bite. Yellow Tail in the wine list? Really???

I have stayed at the Sheraton Plaza before and I think I prefer that hotel over the Westin Crown. Especially because the lobby does not stink with that White Tea smell that triggers my asthma.

Hopefully the renovations will improve the place but it will also certainly give them cause to raise the rates.
Old Feb 14, 2009, 6:49 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by onthewineroute
JI had also pre-payed for a room with a king and got two doubles. They changed my room to a smaller with two doubles, but at least the toilet was clean and in working order.
Starwood guarantees the bed type on paid stays. If the hotel did not proactively offer you something, you should call Customer Service.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.