Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Community > CommunityBuzz
Reload this Page >

Kansas City BBQ DO - May 5th-7th

Old Jan 20, 23, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium

It's been several years since we had a BBQ DO in Kansas City, so we'd like to welcome you all back for some world class BBQ and good times with other FTers! Our new, consolidated airport terminal will also be open, so come enjoy actual food/beverage options, more than one bathroom stall and an 11,000sqft DL SC with an outdoor deck!

We've picked the first weekend of May to avoid Mother's Day, the various college graduations and Memorial day. Like before, the DO will begin Friday afternoon/evening with Happy Hour at Jack Stack in downtown KC/MO. We'll then head over to Q39, a popular BBQ joint south of downtown, for dinner at 7:30pm. KC has a ton of bars for those wishing to continue the night! Hotel/Transportation info will be in the second post. We've got representation from all of the major chains and Cabs/Lyft/Uber/Scooters are plentiful.

Thursday, May 4th

With some folks flying in on Thursday, possible events could include the Royals v. Orioles game at 1:10pm or the KC Monarchs (minor league) exhibition game vs. the Savannah Bananas at 7:00pm. Other, popular restaurants also include Stroud's (fried chicken) which could be done either Thursday or Friday.

Friday, May 5th

We'll start the event with happy hour at Jack Stack's downtown KC/MO location. This is within walking distance of Union Station and several hotels in the area. They've got a nice patio which is great for enjoying a burnt end bloody mary as well as their vast menu. Around 7:00pm, we'll migrate to Q39 for dinner. Opened in 2014, they're extremely popular and a short ride south from downtown KC/MO.

Happy Hour - Jack Stack BBQ - Freight House (KC/MO)
• 5:00pm
Menu

Dinner -- Q39 Midtown (KC/MO)
• 7:30pm
Menu

Saturday, May 6th

From prior DO's, some folks either fill themselves at Joe's or eat small to allow for sampling as much BBQ throughout the day.

Joe's KC (formerly Oklahoma Joe's) opened in 1996 at a gas station in Kansas City, Kansas. They've since expanded, though this is a classic KC BBQ option and one of the best. The Z-Man sandwich and a cup of gumbo is a great way to start the day! They open at 11:00am and it's not uncommon to see lines out the door, so get here early. This is about 12-15 minutes southwest of downtown KC/MO.

Slap's (KCK) opened in 2013 in downtown Kansas City, Kansas and is just a few minutes west of downtown KC/MO. The lines can be long, but they move fast and their roof top deck offers great views of the KC skyline while enjoying excellent ribs, burnt ends, brisket and more.

Woodyard BBQ (KCK) has been around for decades and offers outdoor seating, excellent BBQ and draft beer (what more could you ask for?).

BB's Lawnside BBQ (KC/MO) opened in 1950 and is known for their blues and their BBQ. Ask for a pit tour while you're there!

Betty Rae's Ice Cream (KC/MO) is a great choice for those wanting a palate cleanser. With 26 flavors of ice cream, they're a quick ride on the Street Car towards the River Market.

Other Activities

Looking for something to do where food isn't involved? Check out the Boulevard Brewery Tour ($15) and get five 5oz samples over the hour lounge visit.

Whisky fan? J. Rieger & Co. and West Bottoms Whiskey Co. both offers tours.

The TWA Museum, located at the downtown airport (MKC), is a hidden gem and full of aviation history! Open 10:00am-4pm on Friday and Saturday.

The Kansas City Royals are playing the Oakland Athletics on Saturday at 6:10pm. Kauffman Stadium, or "The K", is a fairly short ride from downtown Kansas City.

Sunday, May 7th

If you're not flying out first thing in the morning and have some empty room in your stomach, join the remaining attendees for brunch or other activities around town!

CONFIRMED:
  • FriendlySkies
  • Susiesan+1
  • GW McLintock
  • dr88
  • boeing777euro
  • AFAM-DFW
  • H.H
  • Majuki
  • crankychick
  • Long Train Runnin
  • SanDiego1K+1
  • Governator
  • cocobird
  • CMK10
  • JRP2

TENTATIVE:
  • BTA
  • mnmag
  • legalalien
  • Zorak
  • dinoscool3
  • Sweet Willie
  • krazykanuck
  • fezzington
  • CDKing
  • GregL
  • cawhite
  • bk3day
crankychick, boxo, CDKing and 4 others like this.

Last edited by FriendlySkies; Yesterday at 1:54 pm
Old Jan 20, 23, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: DL KM, AS MVPG, F9 50K, Bonvoy Plat, RHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rwds
What an itinerary! I am planning on attending, and will more than likely do the brewery tour.

-J.
FriendlySkies and cocobird like this.
Old Jan 20, 23, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat.
Should be a great weekend! Looking forward to it.
FriendlySkies likes this.
Old Jan 20, 23, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Lodging

Kansas City is represented by all of the major hotel chains and below are some options to look into:
mnmag likes this.

Last edited by FriendlySkies; Jan 20, 23 at 8:48 pm
Old Jan 20, 23, 7:50 pm
BTA

Programs: Fly: AA EXP UA Gold MM Stay:Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat Drive:National Exec, Hertz PC
Tentative for now

I need to get back to KC, and this sounds awesome. Great BBQ, and Ive been wanting to do the Boulevard tour too.

plus an airport from this century!!!

really hope to make it.
Old Jan 20, 23, 7:52 pm

Yessssssss. Grezi BBQ !!!
Old Jan 20, 23, 8:03 pm

I’m looking forward to the DO revival. Reserved Westin Crown Center. Thinking about Stroud’s for chicken for lunch Friday or Sunday. The suggested BBQ suggestions are great.
cawhite and FriendlySkies like this.
Old Jan 20, 23, 8:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW View Post
Im looking forward to the DO revival. Reserved Westin Crown Center. Thinking about Strouds for chicken for lunch Friday or Sunday. The suggested BBQ suggestions are great.
I just had dinner, though I am now hungry again when thinking of their delicious cinnamon rolls! Haven't been since pre-Covid Another good chicken option, located next to the original Ok Joes, is Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken.
Old Jan 20, 23, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: DL KM, AS MVPG, F9 50K, Bonvoy Plat, RHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rwds
Some of the Bonvoy properties (including the Marriott listed above) have very good points availability at the moment. I just booked the The Westin Kansas City at Crown Center on a points savers rate.

-J.
Old Jan 20, 23, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAPlat; *Gold; Hyatt Diam; SPG Plat; PWP goddess
I am interested!
Old Jan 20, 23, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PPro
Mmm... BBQ, Beer, Baseball. The only thing missing is ... Me!

Mark me tentative, please. Tough to plan that far in advance.
Old Jan 21, 23, 4:52 am

While I can't attend, the BBQ joints are all quite good from previous experience. I also recommend the WW I museum for a visit.
Sweet Willie and BTA like this.
Old Jan 21, 23, 8:34 am

Programs: AA Gold
Daniel, it's susiesan not susieQ
Old Jan 21, 23, 9:53 am

Programs: AA PPro, QF Gold, DL Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum
Sounds like a blast! I am in
legalalien likes this.
Old Jan 21, 23, 10:28 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
I'm in.
cocobird likes this.

Search this Thread