Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Non-Marriott "Gate Hotel" (formerly Sheraton JFK Airport Hotel), New York

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-Marriott "Gate Hotel" (formerly Sheraton JFK Airport Hotel), New York

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2013, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Aside from road noise, the hotel is great! Free water and cookies in the lobby, a wonderful spread of snacks hot and cold in the club lounge, free wine and beer, coffee machine, and fridge packed with free bottled water and soft drinks. Rooms with renovations look fantastic...Sheraton brand standard with robes, slippers, white tiled baths and loofahs, etc. Staff extremely friendly. would definitely go back although it is expensive even with points.
Old Aug 22, 2013, 6:31 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Hi all. Have a flight coming up, arrival 2:30pm at JFK, departing JFK the next day at 5pm.

Is road noise really that bad? What are the food options for dinner?

Am I better off getting a room at Sheraton LGA (soundproof, great neighborhood for asian food) and just cabbing each way?

Or LIRR to Penn Station and one of the *wood options in Manhattan?

Last edited by dcstudent; Aug 22, 2013 at 7:08 pm Reason: Add Manhattan Options
Old Aug 22, 2013, 9:30 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by dcstudent
Hi all. Have a flight coming up, arrival 2:30pm at JFK, departing JFK the next day at 5pm.

Is road noise really that bad? What are the food options for dinner?

Am I better off getting a room at Sheraton LGA (soundproof, great neighborhood for asian food) and just cabbing each way?

Or LIRR to Penn Station and one of the *wood options in Manhattan?
If I had to choose between them hands down Sheraton LGA^ And its not without a few warts and wrinkles quality wise either
Heading to New York City would be clearly a better choice for about at least a dozen or more reasons and the choice of superior properties
and dining choices without question and simply so much more fun for my tastes but I am an ex New Yorker
Old Apr 7, 2014, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott/Lifetime Titanium Hyatt/Explorist, Hilton/Silver, IHG Spire,UA Gold
Just checked in here tonight. It's a cramped layout, but overall, pretty clean and the noise from the road is non existent...although I'm in the middle of the hotel, so I'm not near the highway. You can certainly hear the planes overhead, but I'm a heavy sleeper.
The remodel is what I call the Sheraton retro look...the subway tiles in the bathroom, dark leather furniture, and dark wood furniture with silver knobs.
Had room service for dinner...standard Sheraton stuff, served hot and timely.

the club lounge is small, but not crowded and as mentioned previously, has an open refrigerator and decent food. There's also a nice espresso machine I plan on trying out in the morning.
All in all, I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again if I was in the area.
Old Apr 22, 2014, 9:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K,SPG Plat,
I stayed here one night each of the last three weeks, and had no issues with noise. Twice upgraded to Club floor, rooms 702 and 704, on the highway side, and stood at the window watching the jets come in. No noise from the planes, and nothing discernible from the highway either.

The front desk staff is hit or miss. One guy bent over backwards to comp my parking or my first drink in the bar "as my way of thanking you for being Platinum", and another guy seemed to not care about status at all.

The desk folks will readily give you the menu for China Express, a halfway decent place that delivers to the hotel. Be warned that the lady on the phone will push for cash payment, but will take a credit card with a little nudging.

The rooms are good. Same decor as a couple of other Sheratons I've been in, including the one in Tarrytown this week.
Old Sep 14, 2014, 1:21 am
Formerly richh1833

Programs: QF P1, BA GGL, AS GMVP
Any recent reviews of this place? Thinking whether or not we should stay near JFK as we have a flight at 9am the next day or would it be wiser to stay in Manhattan? My main concern is that we'll be in the city for a couple hours and probably head back to the hotel late which leads to think about safety issues as a couple members have noted about the sketchy neighborhood around it.

Last edited by TheSYDTraveller; Sep 14, 2014 at 2:39 am
Old Oct 8, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: OW Emerald SPG Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Is it just me or have the reviews for this property gotten a LOT better over the past year or so? This used to be one of the consistently worse-reviewed properties in the Sheraton system but I am no longer getting that vibe. Have they really turned things around?
Old Oct 8, 2014, 11:23 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
I have stayed here a half dozen times over the last year. While there are other better properties around the JFK area (non-SPG), I stay here for the convenience factor and I have not really faced many issues either. The front desk staff has actually been good in all of my stays, good and consistent. The rooms are small, but they are very clean and have a classy look to them. I have been to a lot of Sheratons around the world, and the rooms here are decorated differently as others have said.

In-room dining is decent, no complaints there - only one time did have a slightly negative experience with food taking an hour to arrive when I was told 30 minutes but in all other stays it has been timely. Small bathrooms but I've stayed in smaller at other locations. The noise that people have mentioned in the past...I guess I just have not seen that, and I would notice something like that rather easily. Highway noise was absolutely not an issue and I have stayed in rooms on both sides of the hotel and corners. I will say though, I notice the noise from other doors slamming shut in the hall. That might be the only noise I heard. Beds are comfortable, and I cannot think of a stay where I did not get a decent nights rest. Most of my flights were early ones, so the location of the hotel is convenient for JFK. Shuttle runs every half hour.

The neighborhood itself is not going to offer you world class dining choices like in Manhattan. If that's what one is looking for, you're better off staying in the city or somewhere closer to the city. Front desk will provide you with a few delivery options and they've been good for the most part.

I had read the negative reviews prior to my very first stay here in August 2013. 6 stays later, with the most recent being in September 2014 - I'm still wondering how this property had the kinds of reviews it did before. With a lack of SPG properties that are convenient to JFK, this is definitely a decent airport hotel. ^
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:21 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by richh1833
Any recent reviews of this place? Thinking whether or not we should stay near JFK as we have a flight at 9am the next day or would it be wiser to stay in Manhattan? My main concern is that we'll be in the city for a couple hours and probably head back to the hotel late which leads to think about safety issues as a couple members have noted about the sketchy neighborhood around it.
Stayed at this hotel for 1 night a few weeks ago, and I thought it was perfectly fine. It's a little expensive for an airport hotel IMO (Cat 4 I believe), so if I were in your shoes I'd like stay at the Cat 5 Westin Grand Central and cab / uber from there in the morning. It's pretty close to the Midtown tunnel, so is about as convenient as you can get within Manhattan. It would mean an earlier wake up, but given that the free shuttle at the Sheraton only takes you to the rental car stop on the Airtrain, and that (at least when we were leaving) it only runs every 30 mins - you'd probably still need to leave reasonably early even though it's an "airport hotel".
Old Oct 17, 2014, 8:57 am

Does anyone have an email address for this property? Starwood Customer Service claims they don't have one.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:17 am

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by postular
Does anyone have an email address for this property? Starwood Customer Service claims they don't have one.
Not trying to be "that guy", but you'll get an answer much more quickly this way: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sheraton+jfk than if you're waiting for someone to reply with the answer in the forum.

Address: 132-26 S Conduit Ave, New York, NY 11430
Phone: (718) 322-7190
Old Oct 17, 2014, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by milesmuncher
Not trying to be "that guy", but you'll get an answer much more quickly this way: http://lmgtfy.com/?q=sheraton+jfk than if you're waiting for someone to reply with the answer in the forum.

Address: 132-26 S Conduit Ave, New York, NY 11430
Phone: (718) 322-7190
I don't need the address and phone number; I'm looking for an "email" contact. I am out of the country and can not call. But thanks for the lesson on how Google works.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 3:09 pm

I don't need the address and phone number; I'm looking for an "email" contact. I am out of the country and can not call. But thanks for the lesson on how Google works.
My bad, sorry about that. I just tried to find it myself, but can't seem to locate it anywhere either. If you have internet access though, you can make free calls to a US number via Google Voice on your laptop.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Aidan Rowe is the GM, but can't find his email either. Sorry.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Aidan Rowe is the GM, but can't find his email either. Sorry.
Thanks so much; that is very helpful information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.