Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Non-Marriott "Gate Hotel" (formerly Sheraton JFK Airport Hotel), New York

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-Marriott "Gate Hotel" (formerly Sheraton JFK Airport Hotel), New York

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2015, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
OK, this hotel sounds awful. Where do people stay when they need to overnight at JFK?
Old Apr 26, 2015, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by margarita girl
OK, this hotel sounds awful. Where do people stay when they need to overnight at JFK?
I go into town, all the airport hotels are hopeless.
Old Apr 27, 2015, 1:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
i'm giving this place a try next month....my flight gets into jfk around 11pm so by the time i make it to the hotel it will be around midnight....have to be back at jfk at 7am in the morning for my next flight....hopefully it should be sufficient for such a short stay....
Old Apr 27, 2015, 11:01 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
I've stayed here twice now for short overnights and for that it was quite fine for that purpose. I didn't have any noise issues between the walls, but could hear the hallway (I'm a deep sleeper and didn't notice anything once I went to bed).

Now, if you're looking for a lounge, decent food in the hotel, decent facilities or food options that are walkable, this is NOT the hotel for you.

If you just need a clean room for a few hours of shut eye and a shower, this hotel is perfectly adequate. I'd take a cab back to the airport though, the shuttle sometimes gets too crowded and you can't board, not to mention if you're flying AA, you stop at terminals 1-7 before reaching AA and that takes a considerable amount of time.

If I've got some time and arrive/depart outside of rush hours I often stay at the Sheraton LGA. Great hotel, wonderful rooms, decent lounge. But, most important to me, right in the middle of Flushing and all of its amazing asian restaurants. Yum!
Old Apr 27, 2015, 12:37 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Hopefully these personal opinions may be helpful

Cutting straight to the chase going down memory lane
The rooms are somewhat attractive basic Sheraton standard with comfortable beds but very small rooms
This hotel has the distinct honor of being the only Starwood property in 15 years to walk me as an SPG Platinum

The focal points/ issues over the years generally have been

• Friendly enough but mostly clueless/lost slow to respond team
• Poor cramped unattractive club lounge with inconvenient operating hours (subpar quality meager stingy offerings)
• Average to below average food quality in restaurant
• Extreme highway noise off of Route 27 and some light airport noise (some rooms better than others but no room is immune)
• Isolation in an area that has little to nothing to offer without leaving the area with a car
• Dangerous vehicle entranceway to parking lot
• Slow disorganized shuttle from the dreary depressing poorly lit JFK pick up area (shocking for a major airport)
• Little or Nothing to upgrade to as a Platinum other than low or high floor.Never had a suite if they exist in all the years I was a guest there

• Single females or even accompanied for that matter IMHO should probably not walk anywhere at night around the area outside the hotel
•Slow elevators (2) equal long waits at peak times
Be prepared to jam in the small elevators with housekeepers and their carts
Especially appealing when one of the two elevators are down and folks are rushing to make their flights

Off topic terrible availability on Cash and Points even when the value proposition was better in the good old days
Insane overpricing of the property by the monopoly of the handful of subpar properties @ JFK
I’ve found lower rates in far more premium properties going right into New York City or surrounding areas like Long Island

There was a time when I would have anxiety just with the thought of having to stay there to earn stay credit. Thankfully those days are long over!
I rent a car drive 20 minutes or Uber it and still save money and have a better experience elsewhere
The best of all the crud at JFK is clearly the Full service Hilton .Its meh at best but clearly a reasonable improvement over the Sheraton.
Gary Leff View From a Wing agrees in his well written blog
The limited service Hilton Garden inn JFK (I believe same ownership as the Sheraton JFK) has a brand assurance guarantee
If not satisfied they will refund your stay so they work harder at guest satisfaction.Its no Hilton Garden Inn of your dreams but managed better.

I've seen way better Four Points properties over the years than the Sheraton JFK
For me it’s one of a number of properties that eroded my trust in the Sheraton brand and it isn't the only Sheraton to disappoint
Anyone remember the Sheraton Long Island?
That was another bomb shelter that had the Sheraton name stripped from the building^Sad but long overdue!
If there is any upside to the Sheraton JFK its probably better than Holiday inn Express nearby and some other one and two stars around
Its certainly doable for a night albeit with the issue previously mentioned
I would happily pay more to avoid this property given any opportunity. The industry has gotten better with hard product and amenties
and offers value and quality just not at JFK and select Sheratons

Though may be fully acceptable to some even with its warts and wrinkles just as is.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Apr 27, 2015 at 11:40 pm
Old Apr 27, 2015, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Thanks all for the very helpful comments.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 6:59 am

Programs: RA, UA MM 1k, AA EXP, Marriott LTP, Hyatt Plat, SPG100
Sheraton JFK Airport Hotel, New York [Master Thread]

I just stayed here last week. There have been recent renovations on the club level. Rooms were nice and spacious. Club offerings were decent. I'd definitely stay here again if I had early/late flight out of JFK. I would not stay for longer, due to the fact it is not well located for restaurants, public transit, etc.
Old Apr 28, 2015, 4:47 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
I was going to say the same, the hotel has been doing a fair bit of work at the Club level. It's not that nice, to be sure, but the rooms I have stayed in have been decent. My corp rate is well below half of what I might pay for a hotel in town, so when I do a 22hr connection, arrive in the evening, say around 8 or 9pm, have a meeting in town the following day and fly out around 6pm the following day, this place is just fine. Under those circumstances my needs are minimal and the hotel meets them at what I consider to be very reasonable cost for NYC.

Damning with faint praise? Perhaps, but it's a convenient place and if you can get it for 150 a night it's a decent deal IMO.
Old May 9, 2015, 7:19 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

http://hotelexecutive.com/newswire/5...tom-renovation

I hear this will soon be Luxury Collection property @ 70,000 Point a night after the improvements
Old May 20, 2015, 11:06 am

Programs: AA 3MM EXP, SQ Solitaire, LH SEN, CX DM, Hyatt CC, Marriott LT Titanium
Anyone ever tried to gym here? How is it? I have a 6 hour layover at JFK and want to find somewhere with a gym and someplace to just take a shower and maybe do some work... Also, do they offer any day rates for their rooms?
Old Feb 16, 2016, 9:26 pm

Not bad

This is exactly what it is, a comfortable layover hotel for airport guests.

Check-in: friendly and attentive. Although even after confirming I've requested a King bed I still got a room with two Twin beds. Didn't complain as I'm too tired to do so, figure it's just one night.

Room: clean as expected. Typical Sheraton amenities. One free bottle of water and another bigger bottle at $3 cost.

Lounge: very small, and only one hot plate, but amazingly it included scrambled eggs, hash browns, bacons and sausages for breakfast, and I liked it. Decent selections of sodas and water, coffee and tea.

Parking: $21 overnight and no guarantee of space. Why don't they just sell enough stickers per space to ensure those that have paid for it can have it? Was encouraged to "just park on the streets", but they were all full too. I bought a sticker anyway and lucky me during in-and-outs I seem to always be able to grab the last space in the lot, but again, do it at your own risk.

Sound barrier - very bad, people talking louder than normal voice can pass through. So keep that in mind if voice bothers you. Luckily my next room neighbors all stop making noises after 10 p.m.

Airport Shuttle - I don't know why most reviews complain about shuttle. It seems that everytime I go up and down I see a shuttle waiting for people right outside. Maybe the hotel remedy the situation.

So... this is not your vacationing hotel, but if you are fatigue and want a lay-over, it seems fine.
Old Oct 13, 2016, 6:59 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Question contact?

Do any FTs have a local hotel contact? I tried the WEB site and the only listing is a phone number! Is this an omen?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
I booked this hotel onboard a flight from NRT to JFK when it became clear I would need to overnight at JFK - then I came here and read this thread and was immediately filled with regret and dread but it was too late to change.

But when I arrived - I really didn't think the hotel was too bad, I assume it's been renovated since some of the prior comments on this thread were posted. I wouldn't be thrilled to stay here again due to the surroundings, but I wouldn't avoid it if I just needed a quick overnight.

As others have mentioned, the surroundings of the hotel are not good - there is a landfill/dump literally across the street and when you walk out the front door of the hotel, at least in the summer, it stinks of trash. I don't think I would feel comfortable leaving the hotel property at any time of day, although as far as I could see there was nothing to walk to anyway.

I called for the hotel shuttle when I arrived at Federal Circle and it was there within 5 minutes or less - my wife took a separate shuttle and she too waited less than 5 minutes. Return service to JFK is at the top and bottom of the hour. No complaints there. You can also take the Hilton Garden Inn shuttle, which is immediately next door.

As others have mentioned, all the staff were friendly. We were upgraded to a club floor room and everything was fresh and comfortable. We faced the HGI and occasionally heard highway noise but nothing too bad. I also didn't hear any noise from other rooms, but could clearly hear noise from the club - when they started setting up for breakfast, we could clearly hear utensils and the like being moved around in our room. Wasn't an issue since jet lag had us up very early, but I may have been annoyed on another stay. Breakfast starts at 6AM.

The "club" is a little strange, basically in the elevator lobby on the 7th floor. We didn't partake of the Happy Hour so I can't comment on the quality, but it included free wine and beer plus buffalo chicken tenders and bacon-wrapped somethings along with hummus/pita and cheese. Breakfast was scrambled eggs, sausage, and bacon along with fruits, yogurt, and breads - pretty standard stuff and tasted fine.

We ate dinner in the restaurant since there was nowhere else to go - for a club sandwich and burger plus tax and tip was $40. Burger was pretty good, club sandwich was average.

In general, if I end up with an overnight at JFK I go into the city - but really didn't feel like it after a long flight this time with a quick turn the next morning. I would return here again if I had a short turn, but on a long stay I would be frustrated by the fact that there is nothing at all to do that's walkable from the hotel.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Is there anything within a fairly short Uber ride for eating dinner when staying here tomorrow night? I really don’t want to be heading all the way into the city we have a short overnight and it will be rush-hour on a Friday. Any specific recommendations? Love ethnic foods of all kids... figure there has to be a good neighborhood for that nearby.
Old Jan 13, 2018, 10:06 pm

Has anyone stayed here recently? The comments on TA are not very encouraging.

Am debating between the JFK Sheraton & the Hilton Garden Inn / Hampton Inn

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.