Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Non-Marriott "Gate Hotel" (formerly Sheraton JFK Airport Hotel), New York

Non-Marriott "Gate Hotel" (formerly Sheraton JFK Airport Hotel), New York

Old Jun 17, 2008, 9:32 am
Original Poster

Arrow Non-Marriott "Gate Hotel" (formerly Sheraton JFK Airport Hotel), New York

the Sheraton JFK is now open and bookable on the site. any reviews?
Old Jun 17, 2008, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Stayed at JFK Sheraton

Unforseen circumstances had me calling SPG Platinum Desk to book the Sheraton JFK the other night:

- SPG.bomb only showed paid rates, yet concierge offered me points (cat 3) or cash & points. I took the cash & points and headed to the shuttle. (Shuttle pick-up is from the Federal Circle AirTran stop, but on the return shuttle drops you off at the terminal you need.)

- Driver was super friendly. He explained the hotel had just opened a few days ago. He called ahead to let front desk know I was coming.

- Hotel is brand new. Everything had the new Ralph Lauren-style decor. Lobby was small with a fireplace and some really comfortable leather couches. Behind the lobby was a small restaurant/bar.

- Desk agent was very nice, but unfamiliar with a few procedures related to the points. She gave me both the new Plat Key Jacket plus one that was clearly intended for the hotel to use in pre-blocking/pre-keying. She did not ask for my choice of Plat Amenity, but the person training her mentioned I was upgraded.

- I was put on the top floor, which is the club floor. Club lounge is right off the elevator, therefore open 24 hours. It's really a a few couches and nice flat screen tv, with a lockable counter where they must serve a small breakfast from. There was one computer/printer, but computer wasn't configured properly as it was asking you to pay (website says it's free). Club breakfast is only served Mon-Friday mornings.

- My club room was smaller than other hotels, but still nice enough to move around. Bathroom had double swinging doors, and nice white tile. New Shine by Bliss products. Shower only. Armoire had an interesting door that opened part of the side with the front for easy access to anything you hang. No mini bar, nor fridge! I was only in the room for a few hours, so I didn't see a safe. There was the one cup Starbucks machine with to-go-cups & Tazo tea. 2 bottles of water were in the room. Flat screen TV was nice. This is obviously a new generation of Sheraton hotel, and the rooms were well designed and looked good.

Looking at the floor map, I had a large corner room, but there did not appear to be any suites.

I noticed on the site that it says "Free high speed internet in all guest rooms" but didn't notice that while staying there. I wish the staff had told me or they put a little sign at the work desk.

Overall it was a nice little oasis in the middle of JFK, perfect for an overnight before/after a (or cancelled) flight. But I would NOT suggest this hotel for anyone visiting New York City.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 8:04 pm

Programs: AA EP 4+ million miles, Ambassador+ Elite
Sheraton JFK

I stayed there the other night and found the room to be smaller than most (Club Floor room), but nicely decorated; wirelss internet, larger bathroom than most Sheratons, clean as could be, very friendly staff. The parking situation will be a nightmare though when the hotel is full. They have a VERY small lot. The Hilton Garden Inn, next door, has at least 4 times as much parking. It is maybe 3 minutes from JFK and much better than the old Sheraton there.
Old Jul 13, 2008, 3:29 am

Programs: BA, LY,TK
Sheraton JFK

Stayed there two days ago on my way out of the US , service wasn't bad Club Lounge a bit non existent very small and is situated just outside elevator, shuttle to airport not bad, anyone else stayed there,?? I'm still waiting for my 500 points
Old Aug 21, 2008, 8:57 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, HH Diamond, AA EXP, VS Gold, BAEC Silver, Global Entry, UK RT
I have a stay booked there next month coming back from a trip abroad. I will report all details.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 5:13 am

Programs: QR Gold, LH FTL, AB Silver, BA Silver, OK+Blue,PC Plat, SPG Plat, HH DIA, TK Gold (working on black)
Was there a two weeks ago on Award stay. 500P posted without problem. It was week end so the lounge had closed; meaning no drink or breakfast, you can not close an area in front of an elevator.
We had breakfast downstairs, only a la carte. It took the chef ages to prepare some pancakes.

Overall friendly staff, rooms ok.
Old Aug 22, 2008, 4:36 pm

Location: NY Tri state- but hangs out in nicer weather in west coast
Programs: CO Plat, National VIP, Avis PC,
Anyone stay in the sheraton at jfk?

Anyone stay in the Sheraton at jfk?
How was it? Were the rooms roomy and who was the shower?

On tripadvisor the 4 ratings for it are terrible.
And I cant find any other reviews.

Thakns
Old Aug 27, 2008, 2:00 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - PLT, BA GGL, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Some pics are included in my TR.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...2#post10269212
Old Sep 14, 2008, 8:49 pm

This is my second time stay here. Some random points:
--No sound proof whatsoever. First time got the end unit facing the back, away from highway. Terrible AC, or some machinery noise all night constantly.
This time got one of those center rooms facing the HGI near the elevator, what I got is airplane noise every two minutes. I guess the noise is depend on the plane approach.
--SPG gold upgraded to SPG preferred floor on 6th floor both time. Only one bottle of water.
--4pm late checkout asked for and given during checkin.
--small room but nice decor. bed sheet don't feel comfy though with the polyester mix.
-- sheraton sleeper bed made by Sealy. (For some reasons, I thought they are made by Simmon)
-- The end unit got bathtub but not those center ones
-- Those center rooms with shower only use bifold bathroom door. However, there is a big gap between them. Okay when you are by yourself, but with companies....
-- free HSI is wireless only and speed is decent
-- free business center for internet and printing need
-- pool is very very small. Okay for kids but not for laps
-- free parking but not a lot of spaces
-- staffs are vary. Some good and some need more training

I would not recommend this hotel for anyone seriously looking for some rest between flights and work because its non-existent soundproof.
Old Sep 14, 2008, 11:06 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by neuro0
This is my second time stay here. Some random points:
--No sound proof whatsoever. First time got the end unit facing the back, away from highway. Terrible AC, or some machinery noise all night constantly.
This time got one of those center rooms facing the HGI near the elevator, what I got is airplane noise every two minutes. I guess the noise is depend on the plane approach.
--SPG gold upgraded to SPG preferred floor on 6th floor both time. Only one bottle of water.
--4pm late checkout asked for and given during checkin.
--small room but nice decor. bed sheet don't feel comfy though with the polyester mix.
-- sheraton sleeper bed made by Sealy. (For some reasons, I thought they are made by Simmon)
-- The end unit got bathtub but not those center ones
-- Those center rooms with shower only use bifold bathroom door. However, there is a big gap between them. Okay when you are by yourself, but with companies....
-- free HSI is wireless only and speed is decent
-- free business center for internet and printing need
-- pool is very very small. Okay for kids but not for laps
-- free parking but not a lot of spaces
-- staffs are vary. Some good and some need more training

I would not recommend this hotel for anyone seriously looking for some rest between flights and work because its non-existent soundproof.
Did you/have you spoken or written either the hotel management or SPG about this?
Seems like quite a list of "concerns" to go un-mentioned to hotel staff. What was their response? (noting the "staff are vary, some are good/some need training" comment)

The noise issue seems like a valid concern for an airport hotel.

If it's something they are aware of and are improving or planning to work on, that would be good to know.

It would be nice to have an acceptable SPG option at JFK.
Old Feb 2, 2009, 11:53 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Nice hotel, but...

Stayed at Sheraton JFK in November 2008. Amazingly friendly and helpful staff. Was expecting mean and mad at JFK. Room fairly pleasant. I like the shower vs. tub/shower combo. Received a nice comp breakfast as lounge was closed on a Friday morning. They let you apply the price of buffet to menu items which I greatly appreciate. Very pleasant hotel with one MAJOR problem. NOISE, NOISE, NOISE. It is truly inconceivable (ok, not inconceivable, lets say ridiculous) that anyone would put up a hotel next to major freeways AND an airport without ANY consideration for sound proofing.
Old Feb 4, 2009, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by schriste
Stayed at Sheraton JFK in November 2008. Amazingly friendly and helpful staff. Was expecting mean and mad at JFK. Room fairly pleasant. I like the shower vs. tub/shower combo. Received a nice comp breakfast as lounge was closed on a Friday morning. They let you apply the price of buffet to menu items which I greatly appreciate. Very pleasant hotel with one MAJOR problem. NOISE, NOISE, NOISE. It is truly inconceivable (ok, not inconceivable, lets say ridiculous) that anyone would put up a hotel next to major freeways AND an airport without ANY consideration for sound proofing.
great, I am staying there next Wed night as I have an early AM return out of JFK on Thurs and didn't want to wake up at O'dark-thirty, now i am seriously rethinking this. Though it sounds like regarless of my choice I won't be sleeping much, kept awake by airplanes vs. waking up at the crack of dawn to get to the airport...hmmm
Old Feb 4, 2009, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
I've stayed here a number of times and while I hear the airplanes while awake (causing me to run to the window like in "The Night Before Christmas" to check out the plane), I have never found the noise enough to keep me up.

You can certainly ask for a room at the end on the far side from the highway although little you can do about the airplanes.

YMMV
Old Feb 5, 2009, 9:15 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
I am particularly distracted and annoyed by noise. More so than your average person I’m sure. I’d suggest you have a good pair of ear plugs available and for most people that should do the trick. Unfortunately low frequency noises and vibration from trucks (yes, I noticed that too) are difficult to stop however. FWIW my wife had no problem sleeping without earplugs, but then... she could sleep through a train wreck.
Old Feb 5, 2009, 10:24 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by schriste
I am particularly distracted and annoyed by noise. More so than your average person I’m sure. I’d suggest you have a good pair of ear plugs available and for most people that should do the trick. Unfortunately low frequency noises and vibration from trucks (yes, I noticed that too) are difficult to stop however. FWIW my wife had no problem sleeping without earplugs, but then... she could sleep through a train wreck.
I stayed here a few weeks ago. The noise did bother me as did the vibrations from the trucks. For a quick stop over this may be an ok property, but for a lengthly stay, you may want to consider somewhere else. The staff was good and helpful.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.