Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Non-Marriott "Gate Hotel" (formerly Sheraton JFK Airport Hotel), New York

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-Marriott "Gate Hotel" (formerly Sheraton JFK Airport Hotel), New York

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2012, 7:33 am

Programs: Military Space-A, UA Plat, AS MVP Gold 75K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by DENROC
Stayed there once---probably never again. Cheaper to use a limo at any hour rather than pay hotel's high rates. Then again , I really have no idea where to stay around JFK or LGA which would even remotely be considered a "nice " hotel
I'd have to say we really enjoyed our stay at the Sheraton LaGuardia East and are trying to arrange other travel to make use of LGA rather than EWR or JFK because we feel we finally have a NY-Airport-area hotel we can stand:
http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sherat...propertyID=994
Old Feb 4, 2013, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Switched from the Sheraton JFK to the Hilton after reading this thread.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 7:42 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
Switched from the Sheraton JFK to the Hilton after reading this thread.
I haven't stayed at the Hilton, but I was NOT impressed with this Sheraton. I've stayed here twice, ONLY because of it being a SPG property near JFK, as I needed to requalify.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 7:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by tasnam

WARNING:
READERS DO NOT DO IT!
CANCEL YOUR RESERVATION IF YOU ARE BOOKED HERE!!
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

This hotel does not measure up.......................even if you are trying to get a elite night credit.
Just Canceled my feb 9/10 stopover after finding this thread was quite consistently giving it the thumbs down.

For lack of better spg options nearby I will try the Hilton which is at least a bit newer and only recurring FT complaint I can find is about noise isolation not being 100%.

To take a car into town and back can cost 60 dollars, right ? Otherwise I would try one of the many Starwood options in town.
Old Mar 4, 2013, 9:27 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
I want to say that I think since the last review posting we had here this hotel has undergone some major changes.

All the rooms have been refurbished and renovated (including those on the club floor) - new wallpaper and furnishings in the rooms and new tiling and grouting bathroom along with other fittings... and the staff couldn't be nicer or friendlier.

Not a bad spread in the club lounge for the evening either with plentiful supplies of fruits, salad, pita bread and they don't lock the soda fridge either.

It was the first time I had stayed at this property and was worried given what I'd read previously but I really do think that because of the recent renovation things have changed for the better and the staff's outlook seems to have been refreshed as well. ^:-:^
Old Mar 4, 2013, 10:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, CX DM, SQ Gold
Originally Posted by Johnny Rocket
I want to say that I think since the last review posting we had here this hotel has undergone some major changes.

All the rooms have been refurbished and renovated (including those on the club floor) - new wallpaper and furnishings in the rooms and new tiling and grouting bathroom along with other fittings... and the staff couldn't be nicer or friendlier.

Not a bad spread in the club lounge for the evening either with plentiful supplies of fruits, salad, pita bread and they don't lock the soda fridge either.

It was the first time I had stayed at this property and was worried given what I'd read previously but I really do think that because of the recent renovation things have changed for the better and the staff's outlook seems to have been refreshed as well. ^:-:^
OK I shall give it a try next month. The Hilton was underwhelming. Similar price: 260 USD entry level. Checked in on a weekend as a HHonors Diamond. Got a basic room. Lounge not open on weekends - to compensate (I think) there was a voucher for 1 free appetizer from the lobby sportsbar. Amenity was a paper bag with a granola bar and a bottle of water and a bag of trail mix (not kidding!).

So yeah........ cheating on spg is always educational. Sometimes I just need to see that the grass is not automatically greener at Hyatt/Marriott/Hilton

The last bad comments on the JFK Sheraton were from Mid-2012. When was your stay that you are referring to, Johnny Rocket?
Old Mar 5, 2013, 4:03 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Tit, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold, Carlson Gold, UA*S,
Originally Posted by forumpersona999
The last bad comments on the JFK Sheraton were from Mid-2012. When was your stay that you are referring to, Johnny Rocket?
I stayed there last week and the place is being redecorated. If you are on a club floor - 7 - everything is new. Looks like on the floors below it's still a work in progress but I was impressed at the refit.

That said, the Hilton is a nicer property and their lounge is beautiful - and the room is good too.

So the Hilton is a good choice - plus they have a great view of the taxiways.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
I am glad to hear that this property has been upgraded and that the staff outlook has improved. I stayed with my wife about 3 years back and it ranks as perhaps our worst Sheraton stay ever. The staff was disorganized, lost our reservations which had been confirmed by phone to the hotel only two hours before. The front desk was unaware that the restaurant had closed for the night... I could go on. The rooms were about like a Econo Lodge.
Old Mar 6, 2013, 2:21 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by nonesuch flyer
I am glad to hear that this property has been upgraded and that the staff outlook has improved. I stayed with my wife about 3 years back and it ranks as perhaps our worst Sheraton stay ever. The staff was disorganized, lost our reservations which had been confirmed by phone to the hotel only two hours before. The front desk was unaware that the restaurant had closed for the night... I could go on. The rooms were about like a Econo Lodge.
My stay was much different than yours 3 years ago. Arrived 20 minutes before kitchen in restaurant was closing. FD clerk advised me to go order then complete check in. Did. Went to my room and then had a good meal with a friendly and polite server. Lounge was small, but breakfast was good. Only downside was the room was noisy. I could hear the freeway all night!
Old Mar 6, 2013, 5:23 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Exclamation

Originally Posted by nonesuch flyer
I am glad to hear that this property has been upgraded and that the staff outlook has improved. I stayed with my wife about 3 years back and it ranks as perhaps our worst Sheraton stay ever.
3 years ago?
The worst Sheraton stay ever??
Boy, pile on the hyperbole!
I had a reward stay last year, and the place was OK. For visitors to Manhattan, the hotel is right on the Q10 MTA bus route - handy to get into the city!
Personally, I put a lot more weight on the SPG reviews which rank it 3.4/5:
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/shera...ropertyID=1496
Truth be known, there are not many good options when it comes to Starwood properties near NYC airports! LaGuardia East is just so-so, the Meadowlands is a bust, and the best I have found is the Sheraton Parsippany!
Old Mar 7, 2013, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
reading the last few posts makes me feel a little better about booking this property during a layover....my flight gets in at 7am & i leave at 5pm so i'll end up spending 7-8 hours at the hotel, most of which will be spent sleeping after a long tiring flight....
Old Mar 7, 2013, 10:26 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by Keyser
reading the last few posts makes me feel a little better about booking this property during a layover....my flight gets in at 7am & i leave at 5pm so i'll end up spending 7-8 hours at the hotel, most of which will be spent sleeping after a long tiring flight....
You'll be fine. I stay here a few times a year over the last 4 or 5 years. The rooms and bathrooms are modern and clean. There's a good stall shower and huge desk with lots of outlets. Be is the comfy Sheraton Sleeper. If all you need is place to crash and get some rest, it does the job just fine.

F&B is unimpressive. If I were you, I'd find something in the airport and bring it to the hotel to have as your lunch at some point. The staff has historically been the worst part but once you suffer through check-in with them, the rest of your stay is dependent on the room, which is just fine.
Old Mar 7, 2013, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
You'll be fine. I stay here a few times a year over the last 4 or 5 years. The rooms and bathrooms are modern and clean. There's a good stall shower and huge desk with lots of outlets. Be is the comfy Sheraton Sleeper. If all you need is place to crash and get some rest, it does the job just fine.

F&B is unimpressive. If I were you, I'd find something in the airport and bring it to the hotel to have as your lunch at some point. The staff has historically been the worst part but once you suffer through check-in with them, the rest of your stay is dependent on the room, which is just fine.
thanks for the info....may end up meeting a friend for lunch so i might even spend less time at the hotel....
Old Mar 8, 2013, 3:18 am

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS

Is the road noise better? Did they use quadruple glazing?
Old Mar 8, 2013, 5:42 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by chanp
Is the road noise better? Did they use quadruple glazing?
It wasn't when I was there at the end of January! Don't know about the glazing but I could hear the highway all night

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.