Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Non-Marriott "Gate Hotel" (formerly Sheraton JFK Airport Hotel), New York

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-Marriott "Gate Hotel" (formerly Sheraton JFK Airport Hotel), New York

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2009, 9:49 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, UA 1K, DL Gold, AA EXP
Staying here tonight before headed out of LGA tomorrow at noon. Flew into JFK, made the reservation from the airport.

Lounge is OK, but not really a lounge. Just a spot with some drinks and food. They had fried cheese bites, gyoza dumplings, and fish eggrolls, along with a tray of fruit and some cookies tonight.

They weren't able to upgrade me to a club floor room, so they gave me a certificate for breakfast tomorrow. I'll report back after using it I suppose. Breakfast was good for $13 worth of whatever I wanted.

The only bad part, and it's really bad. This place smells like old farty undershorts. From a previous post, the sewage treatment plant smell is terrible. Blech.

Last edited by dartagnan; Sep 18, 2009 at 6:59 am
Old Sep 30, 2009, 10:12 pm

Programs: aa exp and ck, spg plat, hz pc, dl life gld, marriott life plat, others
Stayed at the hotel overnight earlier this week. Continues to disappoint.

My flight was three hours late leaving SFO, but I called before departure to alert the front desk that I would now be arriving at 2AM.

On the airplane, I checked the reservation and saw they had upgraded me to a club floor room (this was just before midnight ET).

When I arrived at 2AM I mentioned that I had noticed the upgrade in my reservation to a club floor room. Agent typed away for a while, handed me my key for a room on the sixth floor. Not only was it not a club room when I arrived, as the club floor is seven, but it was the smallest room on the floor.

Looks like my preblocked upgrade was given away.

Agent at checkin never asked, so as I headed to the elevators I told him I wanted the points as my amenity. His reply - "oh sorry, sure".

Yes, it is a bit noisy at the location. Not that it was any impediment at all to my snatching a few hours of sleep.

Tried to go up to the club floor to see if I could get a soda in the morning to wake up, as I was leaving at 6AM for my London flight and needed the caffeine given I had less than 3 hours to sleep. Card wouldn't work for that floor. Sigh.

After a few tries at this hotel, it is clear they just don't care about SPG elites. If at all possible from now on, I will be back at the Sheraton LGA. While it is relatively far away, they provide a much nicer experience and more consistent recognition of a platinum. Plus, they actually upgrade platinums to a recognizably better room.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 6:10 pm

Programs: * A
I have a reservation at this property and looks like I need to cancel it. any reason why I should stay this property? any recent victims ?
Old Feb 1, 2010, 7:56 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by noirpepper
I have a reservation at this property and looks like I need to cancel it. any reason why I should stay this property? any recent victims ?
Past and present thoughts
There is no one particularly exceptional at the property however everyone has been satisfactory and kind enough to me.
Management has been helpful and cooperative enough when problems surface so I continue to stay there when the need arises.

It is still one of the nicest of all the rat trap JFK properties and the newest.
The club lounge offerings are inadequate.My suggestion would be to eat in the restaurant which is marginally better.
The rates for my preference are typically unacceptable for what the hotel is and where it is located.The folks there don't seem to preblock rooms so it is typically first come first served.
If you have a specific request my advice is to call the hotel arrival day as no one typically looks at reservations in my own experience until the guest arrives.
They have also lost my reservation twice and I was walked on one of those stays.

On my last stay I was awoken with a fire alarm shortly after 6:00 AM.
I smelled smoke when I went into the hallway so I stated to dress and attempt to exit the building.
It ended up being a burning bagel that got stuck in the toaster in the tiny club lounge.(actually in the hallway by the elevator)
Considering I arrived at 2:00 AM and didn't get to bed right away I wasn't the happiest of campers with my smoky wake up call

I find JFK area hotels so unappealing and depressing to layover in. I now arrive earlier into JFK when I can and go directly into NYC to a much nicer property and stay in a 4 star property for the same.Also enjoy my stay much better with more quiet surroundings.
Someone is going to have a goldmine when they open a real well designed 4 Star property at JFK.
JFK is the most under served airport I can think of without a single significant property there even for those willing to pay
This property is charging over double what its worth and worse they have limited cash and points availabilty to the point of not participating.
It reflects poorly on Starwood and damages the reputation of Sheraton and the SPG program IMO

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Feb 8, 2013 at 12:13 am
Old Feb 1, 2010, 9:12 pm

Programs: * A
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Past and present thoughts
There is no one particularly exceptional at the property however everyone has been satisfactory and kind enough to me.Management has been helpful and cooperative enough when problems surface so I continue to stay there when the need arises.

It is still one of the nicest of all the rat trap JFK properties and the newest.
The club lounge offerings are inadequate.My suggestion would be to eat in the restaurant which is marginally better.
The rates for my preference are typically unacceptable for what the hotel is and where it is located.The folks there don't seem to preblock rooms so it is typically first come first served.
If you have a specific request my advice is to call the hotel arrival day as no one typically looks at reservations in my own experience until the guest arrives.They have also lost my reservation twice and I was walked on one of those stays.

On my last stay I was awoken with a fire alarm shortly after 6:00 AM.
I smelled smoke when I went into the hallway so I stated to dress and attempt to exit the building. It ended up being a burning bagel that got stuck in the toaster in the tiny club lounge.(actually in the hallway by the elevator)
Considering I arrived at 2:00 AM and didn't get to bed right away I wasn't the happiest of campers with my smoky wake up call

I find JFK area hotels so unappealing and depressing to layover in. I now arrive earlier into JFK when I can and go directly into NYC to a much nicer property and usually save 30% to 40%.Also enjoy my stay much better with more quiet surroundings.Someone is going to have a goldmine when they open a real well designed 4 Star property at JFK.
It is the most under served airport I can think of without a single significant property there even for those willing to pay
^ thanks for the detailed report, I have a one-nighter and might as well give this a try. hoping to get 5/6 hours of sleep before catching a 6 am flight out.
Old May 11, 2010, 1:29 am

Programs: UA 1K,VS Gold, PC Plat, SPG Gold
*** smacks forehead ***

Really wish I'd checked this thread before booking a room for Thursday night...

Rate Description: Book Now And Save - Fully Prepaid, Cancel Rules Apply, No Changes Allowed.
Old May 11, 2010, 4:00 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

I have stopped staying here for the time being as ownership IMO has overpriced the property far more than what I see as rational
On my last check they were asking 270 plus tax which puts the hotel at 300 plus dollars for the night
I simply booked the hyatt in NYC for 165 dollars including taxes and paid for a driver to take me into New York and still saved money
Old May 11, 2010, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Errr....
*** smacks forehead ***

Really wish I'd checked this thread before booking a room for Thursday night...

Rate Description: Book Now And Save - Fully Prepaid, Cancel Rules Apply, No Changes Allowed.
I've stayed here plenty of times, and had no problems.. I always do cash and points so it's really not expensive (2800+$45)

If you know what to expect you can't go wrong... it's definitely more like a four points or sheraton lite..

But I had a comfortable sleep everytime (could be because I'm bombed by the time I get there).... no suites though so don't expect any upgrades... just club floor.
Old May 11, 2010, 9:42 am

Programs: AA Plat for Life, Starwood Platinum, HH Gold
I stayed recently on C&P and found it OK...close to JFK via their shuttle and similarly easy and cheap connection via the LIRR to Penn Station in Manhattan.
Old Jun 5, 2010, 10:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Ok, had an award stay here on Friday night. Simply put: They are clueless. Worst SPG property I've ever been to. Let me elaborate….

Let's start with the airport pickup: I knew that the shuttle would take at least 20 minutes to get to governors circle, so I called right when I was getting off the plane (T3, Delta). I made the mistake of telling the guy where I was actually at rather than saying I was at the circle. He said to call when I got there. So I did. I waited 30 minutes for the shuttle to come (the next morning it was a 7 minute ride back). Once the shuttle got there, there were a few issues. The driver barely spoke english, once on our way he drove like a maniac and didn't help with bags at all.

On to check in…. I was one of 8 people on the shuttle. A family, myself, and 2 other travelers. I made sure I was first in the lobby, knowing full well how long it would take otherwise. I raced in to find both front desk clerks disposed. One was dealing with a customer who wanted to pay be check (you can still do that at a hotel?) the other was dealing with a guy who didn't speak english. (I overheard the woman dealing with the non-english guy say there was a happy hour.) After 5 minutes, the check-writing guy finally gave up. The check in agent didn't greet me in any way. He simply said "last name". Once he found my reservation, he said "your room number is 618, have a good night". No: thank you for being a platinum, welcome to the hotel, we've put you on the SPG floor, here's a breakfast cert. NOTHING! Knowing full well what this was, I said "Is the lounge open tomorrow". He had to think.. then ASK the other agent if it was, She said "no" and he said "I guess I have to give you a breakfast certificate". Thanks for the charity… I then mentioned the happy hour, he said "oh yeah, forgot to mention that.. sorry."…. all going downhill from here.

I went up to my room, the halls were littered with housekeeping carts, vacuums, garbage (this is 630pm)… unacceptable. Entered the room, first thing I noticed was the amount of noise (this would later come to not bother me, as I returned to my room with a little beer buzz). The room itself was small, but ok for one night. Bed was comfortable, wifi easy to get on and bathroom stocked with amenities.

On to the happy hour… As I went down for the happy hour, it was really unclear as to what was going on… There was a bucket of beers by the entrance to the "restaurant" but nobody was there. I wasn't going to grab one for fear of getting chastised. Then I saw a guy distributing them, so I grabbed a Peroni. The small lobby was full of people (only 2 couches to sit on) so I went into the restaurant and sat at the bar with my beer and food. No more than 30 seconds passed and one of the waiters told me I couldn't sit there. I said , when somebody needs or wants this seat, I'll move (there were about 10 people in the restaurant that seats 50). I ate my food, and during that time got told 3 more times I couldn't sit there. Really? REALLY? I gave them all a dirty look and got up and left. As I left to go upstairs, I saw a gentleman with a tie on telling the waiters what to do. I figured he was a manager. I told him about my check in experience, asked about my platinum bonus and general questions about the hotel. He seem disinterested, but said he would get my gift for me (he said a fruit plate or cheese plate) I asked for the 500 points instead. He sighed and walked away. Great!

The one thing that went good: I was going to see a friend in Brooklyn Heights and needed a cab. Before I went upstairs I asked the woman at the front desk to call me a cab. She said it'd be about 5 minutes. I went upstairs, changed clothes and went back down. Waiting there for me was a towne car. I asked her if they charged normal taxi rates, she said yes. I got a car service ride up to Brooklyn Heights for 35 bucks. Good job front desk lady!

Lastly, the next morning. I went down for breakfast around 730. When I got down there, there was nobody greeting, saying hi, saying ANYTHING. I sat at a table, waited for the waiting to come by (at least 5 minutes) all he said was "it's buffet". "Can I get a glass of water, grapefruit juice and coffee?" He completely ignored me and didn't say a word the whole time I was there. THe breakfast "buffet" was pitiful at best. Potatoes, "eggs" (which there were empty the entire time I was there), sausage (appeared to be turkey, but no indication of it) and burnt bacon. There were also some pastries: bagels, croissants, danishes. I had a danish, it was absolutely horrible. Had better breakfast at a Super 8!

Overall, this hotel doesn't deserve to have a Sheraton moniker. It doesn't even deserve a comfort inn moniker. As I said before, it's the worst Starwood property I've ever stayed. More broadly, it may be the worst property I've ever stayed at regardless of chain. I'm going to email and ask for my 7000 points back and that this hotel have a serious review.

I hope my (long) review was helpful and that you don't make the mistake that I did of staying at this hotel because you had to. Go to the LGA Sheraton or stay at a Hilton or Marriott property.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 7:23 am

Programs: UA global, VS Gld , SPG plat
stayed here couple of weeks ago and will never come back.
About $250 for Holiday Inn express service.

Bus took more than 30 mins to arrive and didnt say Sheraton on it (pure luck I found out Hilton Garden is next door). Hotel is middle of no-where like on an industrial estate or something. Quite a scary place to arrive at night.

It was like stepping back into a cliche of 1973. No plat ammenity offered and room alledgedly upgraded (hate to think what the others are like).
Forst thing I noticed was the weird smell in the room and the sheer noise like the windows were open. Moved to another room which was equally smelly and noisey.

Went to restaurant (11pm long flight) and told no food available but try snack shop in lobby. Dinner was a snickers bar with bottle of bud. nice.

hard to sleep due to the noise so got up around 630 - no food in lounge. Called down and told not set up yet would come up later but I could go to the restaurant. What they meant was... go to restaurant and pay for it !!!

Buffet was basic - hopeless in fact.

Back to room around 7 - still no lounge breakfast.

Went to check out - lift took nearly 10 minutes to arrive so missed shuttle bus. Front desk asked me how I enjoyed it so i told her it was the worst Sheraton I had come across and frankly was not up to Sheraton standard. She was shocked and said "oh that's not nice" - so I told her she aske dme and I thought she ought to know. It was not good enough especially for the price paid. She then told me I had a good price and if I was stopping there that night it would be over $300
If that was supposed to make me feel better it didn't work !

Never again.
Old Aug 14, 2010, 11:03 am

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
I've stayed here a number of times but usually arrive late and leave early so can't comment on lounge/restaurant/food issues.

It is what it is: an airport hotel. I find the staff friendly and helpful. The two times they couldn't give me a room on the club floor (and I've stayed here enough times on both club and non-club floor and am not sure the difference other than convenient access to lounge) they offered me a second 500 points for having no upgrade. It's a new property with nice, large bathrooms, standard Sheraton Sleeper beds, wireless wifi and flat screen tv's.

It's hardly the worst Sheraton in the chain. That would probably be the one in Springfield, Mass. in my opinion although others (Sheraton Times Square aka Manhattan) do compete for the title.
Old Oct 15, 2010, 8:27 pm

Programs: AC SE, AA EXP MM, UA Gold MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, HH Dia, IHG Plat
Had a generally good stay here at the start of Columbus Day weekend. However, the shuttle driver meeting arriving pax at Federal Circle after midnight looked scuzzy, and the van wasn't thrilling. Took pax for both the HGI and the Sheraton, same ownership.

In contrast to the HGI, the Sheraton has a club floor and small club lounge, with larger rooms than HGI. Definitely a step up. My room had been pre-blocked without asking. Front desk clerk was solicitous. "I see you've stayed with us before..." (actually that was at the HGI).

My stay was Friday night and the lounge was officially closed, but the espresso and cappuccino machine worked, and fruit had been put out. Plus, my room had a note from management, bottled water, and a plate of fresh fruit under plastic wrap. Very nice touch, definitely not typical for Sheraton. After inquiring, a coupon for full buffet breakfast was provided. Lots of customers at 9:30 in the morning.

The room was well ventilated. Temperature can be turned down very low, and there was heavy bedding. Possibly a bathrobe. Nice tile floor in the bathroom. The hotel is surrounded by expressways and a sewage treatment plant, but it wasn't noisy with the fan and earplugs. The tops of Manhattan skyscrapers can be seen to the west.

The late night staff have to put up with some low-lives coming by to ask if a room is available. Usually, they're not. One such degenerate was quoted a rate of $300 if there had been a room, and I never saw a rate below $219 AAA ($250 all-in) - which I wouldn't pay for this place. Redeeming 7K Starpoints at a value of 3.5 cents per point seems like the best bet.

500 SPG amenity points posted without asking. On many revenue stays elsewhere, they fail to post and I have to call the hotel (asking them to bump up the total for my trouble).

Last edited by Explore; Oct 15, 2010 at 8:56 pm
Old Oct 16, 2010, 7:44 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
I stayed here recently for one night. Arrived around 9.30pm. Upgraded to club floor and had requested a quiet room. The club lounge is open and the elevator doors open into this lounge. Unfortunately we were too late for the lounge on arrival but the lady who runs it was still there and she gave us some sodas ^.

After requesting a quiet room, I was surprised to find that my room was literally right across from the open club lounge (and yes there were still guests there talking and drinking, although it was closed) and the elevators.

Had trouble with my key so went back down to reception and I asked if they had a room that was away from the elevators. I was accommodated on the same floor but much further down the passage way. As I have said before, if you know we are Plats and we have asked for a quiet room, why do you put us in your most noisy location first???

Its one of my pet hates, pay attention to what the guest is requesting and DO NOT put your Plats/Golds near the elevators please. If they had no other rooms available, then fair enough, but it was no issue at all for the staff to move me to a better location, so why not just give me that room to start with!

The rooms are quite nice and the bathrooms are spacious. We didnt notice any bad smells but the planes taking off and landing did make it difficult to sleep and we had to be up early. I would only stay here if you have to be at the airport early.

The shuttle left on time but UA are the last stop it seems, so it was about a 20-25 min bus ride because the driver had to stop at a lot of other terminals first. I was starting to stress slightly as I had not expected it to take so long. Something to keep in mind so you dont miss the check in cut off . We had allowed 2 hrs from leaving the hotel so we were ok, but I expected it to be a 10 min trip and its not.
Old Dec 16, 2010, 7:57 am

Programs: UA Global Services, Bonvoy LT Titanium, National EE
Just had a quick stay here on points; was flying in and out on a quick MR (thanks Expedia) and arrived around 10:30p and had a 6a flight the next day. Don't usually post reports, but figured I should for this property since there have been many varying opinions.

Shuttle From Airport

I called as soon as my flight landed and asked the status of the shuttle and was told that they would send the driver. By the time I made it out to the shuttle bus area, the driver was waiting. The bus was a bit hard to spot since it doesn't clearly say Sheraton, but look out for the Hilton Garden Inn bus (thanks to others who had posted that here). Quick ride off to the airport.

Check-In

Quick and easy. Was greeted and asked about my plat amenity, took the points, and was on my way up to the club floor room.

Room/Bathroom

I had a club floor room at the end of the hall, and it was pretty small, though comfortable. It reminded me of standard European rooms. Had all the standard amenities, nothing too surprising here. Bed was clean, which was the most important part.

Bathroom was standard sized, had slightly old-school looking tile work but was clean. Two big gripes:

1) the water pressure both in the shower and in the sink were horrible! Adjusting the heavenly shower head did no good.

2) the water temperature in the shower was all over the place. It would go from warm to burning hot to freezing cold in a matter of seconds.

Food

Because my flight was scheduled to land just as the restaurant and room service were closing, I had called earlier in the day before my transcon flight to order some food from room service and request that it be delivered to my room right before they close for the evening. As soon as I checked in I inquired about this and they said they had record of it and would send the food right up. Was up in less than 5 minutes. Food wasn't bad -- a bit expensive compared to other properties.

Club Lounge

Was 'closed' but the coffee machine was still working. They have a PC there which I used to print my boarding passes for the next day. Internet access was slooooooow.

Check-Out/Shuttle To Airport

4:15am and time to check-out. Newspaper was outside the room in the morning. Shuttle comes every 30 minutes on the :00/:30. Bunch of people waiting for the 4:30 shuttle and the ride back to the terminal took about 15-20 minutes. Relatively painless ride.

Overall

Not a bad hotel, but not luxurious by any means. Would probably stay again but wouldn't pay the going rate ($269, or $189 with corp SET).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.