Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Non-Marriott "Gate Hotel" (formerly Sheraton JFK Airport Hotel), New York

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Non-Marriott "Gate Hotel" (formerly Sheraton JFK Airport Hotel), New York

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2014, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Just wanted to suggest another option in addition to milesmuncher's recommendation of staying in NYC. After a very bad experience at the Sheraton JFK a few years ago, I now use the Sheraton LGA for my overnight stays.

It's only 10 miles away and taking a cab/Uber there is oftentimes quicker (afterhours) than the AirTrain/Shuttle combination needed for the Sheraton JFK. As an added plus, there tends to be decent cash+points availability at the Sheraton LGA and SPG recognition/treatment is much better.

-FlyerBeek
Old Nov 8, 2014, 12:59 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Hi

I have an early morning flight out of JFK and considering staying here. The big downside seems to be the shuttle doesnt run that often and also only drops at a central point not at the terminal.

Does anyone know if its possible to book a taxi at all to get to the airport? I know its close but wasnt sure if like many of the hotels around Heathrow rather than using the bus they offer a prebook service that drops you straight to the terminal?
Old Nov 8, 2014, 10:28 am

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by toddml
Hi

I have an early morning flight out of JFK and considering staying here. The big downside seems to be the shuttle doesnt run that often and also only drops at a central point not at the terminal.

Does anyone know if its possible to book a taxi at all to get to the airport? I know its close but wasnt sure if like many of the hotels around Heathrow rather than using the bus they offer a prebook service that drops you straight to the terminal?
I would probably just use Uber. When we just missed the shuttle, we asked if they could help us get a ride they offered what was more like a car service than a NYC taxi (price-wise). We were going to Jamaica train station, but I would expect the same to be true if going to the airport.
Old Nov 8, 2014, 10:53 am

Programs: OW Emerald SPG Platinum/Lifetime Gold
I'll be arriving at JFK without a mobile phone. Is it necessary to CALL the hotel shuttle or should I just expect it on the half hour? I'll be arriving around 8:30pm. TIA
Old Nov 8, 2014, 12:32 pm

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by postular
I'll be arriving at JFK without a mobile phone. Is it necessary to CALL the hotel shuttle or should I just expect it on the half hour? I'll be arriving around 8:30pm. TIA
You need to call them, even if from the terminal to say you will be there in 15 minutes. Despite what they say, the shuttle DOES NOT run every 15 minutes in the middle of the night, only when they are called. When you arrive at the waiting area, a curved bus station, there is an attendant supposedly working in the small booth off to the right. I asked him to call when my phone battery died and he did that. Otherwise borrow one from another traveler and call or you will slowly freeze.

Hotel is nice, pleasant staff!
Old Nov 11, 2014, 1:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT Plat (4 MM), SPG LT Plat (Bonvoy doesn’t exist to me), HH Diamond via cc, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by toddml
Hi

On the way to the hotel, the shuttle picks up from the central point, but on the way from the hotel to the airport, you get dropped off at the terminal. Depending on which terminal you're using though, it can be an excruciatingly long ride. We were on AA from T8, and it was probably 25-30 min with a ton of traffic.

+1 on the recommendations to just take Uber. Uber X is about $10-12.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 2:13 pm

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by SAN-man
On the way to the hotel, the shuttle picks up from the central point, but on the way from the hotel to the airport, you get dropped off at the terminal. Depending on which terminal you're using though, it can be an excruciatingly long ride. We were on AA from T8, and it was probably 25-30 min with a ton of traffic.

+1 on the recommendations to just take Uber. Uber X is about $10-12.
Thanks for the info, I am Terminal 4 I think, but dont like the sound of the amount of time it could take!

Never used Uber, how far in advance do you need to try and make the booking! I want to be at the airport for about 06:45 and assumign it shuld take 10 mins from the hotel to the terminal!
Old Nov 30, 2014, 8:07 pm

Programs: OW Emerald SPG Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Thumbs down They do try but it just doesn't measure up to Sheraton standards.

After many years of heeding the negative warnings and avoiding it, I finally gave this property a shot. Even with my expectations set very low, I was still shocked at the "motel" quality of the facilities. This certainly does not qualify as a full service Sheraton and I would say it falls well below even the standards of a Four Points (Was this a Days Inn or Motel Six in a previous life?)

The rooms are shockingly TINY (this from someone accustomed to small rooms in Manhattan. But tiny rooms in a dump of a location is just not acceptable. I literally felt that my bed was in the hallway as I could hear any and every sound of every guest who passed through or opened and closed their door.

All that said, the staff was excellent and really bent over backwards to try and accommodate my requests. The problem is that they have very little to work with. A plus was the big bathroom and the fireplace in the lobby was a nice touch on a freezing night.

The shuttle pick up was a Kafkaesque fiasco and to be honest that is really the only reason to stay here (proximity to JFK) and they can't even get that right. I think you could use a cab and be at another far superior property in less time it seems to take them with the shuttle.

No suites here so being Plat doesn't really do much for you, and the "Club Lounge" is just a snack bar in front of the elevator. In short -- just don't unless you are desperate. Big thumbs down from me.

Last edited by postular; Nov 30, 2014 at 8:16 pm Reason: correction
Old Nov 30, 2014, 11:58 pm

Programs: Platinum SPG, Marriott Platinum, United 1K, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum,
JFK is the problem

There are few decent hotel options at JFK and taking the train to the shuttle is universally inconvenient whatever hotel you choose. Perhaps being native New Yorkers, resilience and endurance are required to handle what JFK inflicts on travelers attempting to bring their luggage to an airport hotel.

If taking an early international flight, staying the night before at the Sheraton JFK works well and we have not had a problem. The option of staying in NYC and taking a train, car or cab to JFK for an early flight is risky. If our flight leaves later in the afternoon, we have used the Sheraton LGA, a good airport hotel, and taken a cab from there to JFK.

The Sheraton JFK staff have been very good to us and appreciate their help to "make the best" of the awkward JFK transit to an airport hotel.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Is it just me or have the reviews for this property gotten a LOT better over the past year or so? This used to be one of the consistently worse-reviewed properties in the Sheraton system but I am no longer getting that vibe. Have they really turned things around?
Let's just say that when ratings go from 0.5 to 1.0 on a scale 0-10, it might be interpreted as an improvement of 100%
Old Dec 1, 2014, 5:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
After many years of heeding the negative warnings and avoiding it, I finally gave this property a shot. Even with my expectations set very low, I was still shocked at the "motel" quality of the facilities. This certainly does not qualify as a full service Sheraton and I would say it falls well below even the standards of a Four Points (Was this a Days Inn or Motel Six in a previous life?)

The rooms are shockingly TINY (this from someone accustomed to small rooms in Manhattan. But tiny rooms in a dump of a location is just not acceptable. I literally felt that my bed was in the hallway as I could hear any and every sound of every guest who passed through or opened and closed their door.

All that said, the staff was excellent and really bent over backwards to try and accommodate my requests. The problem is that they have very little to work with. A plus was the big bathroom and the fireplace in the lobby was a nice touch on a freezing night.

The shuttle pick up was a Kafkaesque fiasco and to be honest that is really the only reason to stay here (proximity to JFK) and they can't even get that right. I think you could use a cab and be at another far superior property in less time it seems to take them with the shuttle.

No suites here so being Plat doesn't really do much for you, and the "Club Lounge" is just a snack bar in front of the elevator. In short -- just don't unless you are desperate. Big thumbs down from me.
(my bolding)
I quit beeing that desperate years ago. Thanks for the explicit and accurate review.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 6:22 am

Stayed one night for an early flight at this property!

Does it feel a little run down, yes it is. At the same time if you are using it as somewhere to arrive and sleep then leave it worked very well for me. Room was quiet enough (as a Plat they put me at an end corridor). Bed was comfy, bathroom a good size with decent power in the shower.

At checkin they were friendly enough and through my Ambassador I had arranged a taxi to JFK terminal 4 the following day for $ 15.00. The hotel had this all sorted and no issues at all. I know there is a free shuttle but taxi worked well for me and for the sake of $15.00 it saved some time and also waiting around for everyone for the shuttle.

In all as long as the price isn't stupid then as an airport hotel and a place to sleep before an early flight it works very well as far as I am concerned!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 7:02 pm
Suspended

No thanks to this property.

Exited T8 and was on the airtrain to Federal circle. One station, was about a 3 minute ride or less. So I called them while on the train.

FD refused to send a shuttle over unless I was actually at FC.

Fine, called again when I arrived at FC, waited for 10-15 minutes.

Not that it matters much but wouldn't it make more sense to send it over when I'm almost there? This was around midnight.
Old Dec 18, 2014, 10:42 am

Does anyone have any experience as an SPG GOLD with getting 4pm checkout at this property ? I am thinking of using the hotel(been there before) but would need the 4pm checkout. Thanks for sharing any experiences
Old Dec 18, 2014, 12:44 pm

Urgh, this and the previous "Sheraton" at Lehigh Valley PA (that no longer exists as Sheraton, thank goodness it won't fool any more innocents) are on my black list of SPG properties (along with a few others).

Keep in mind I stayed there many years ago as a GO so wasn't given the Plat treatment.

Room - pathetic. SMALL, OLD, and STINKS. People in the next room might as well be sitting right next to you because you can hear any and all things they say. Bathroom is actually decent size and that's the only saving grace. I guess they figure people that stay here are only travelers that needed a night in bed so they can get away with it.

Lobby - very nice, like all other sham hotels they renovate the lobby to look like 5-star, and I'm tempted to ask them can I just sleep in the lobby. Fire place is nice touch.

Club Lounge - LOL, a lounge? More like a lemonade stand by the elevator.

Staff - decent. What I expected out of SPG staff.

Shuttle - forget it, you will be fighting with every other guest for the few shuttles they have. Get a cab, only $15-20 with tips

Conclusion - stay if you are desperate in NYC, need to be near the airport, and like to get SPG points while you're at it. Otherwise, don't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.