FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Non-Marriott "Gate Hotel" (formerly Sheraton JFK Airport Hotel), New York
Old Oct 8, 2014, 11:23 pm
stylo4444

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
I have stayed here a half dozen times over the last year. While there are other better properties around the JFK area (non-SPG), I stay here for the convenience factor and I have not really faced many issues either. The front desk staff has actually been good in all of my stays, good and consistent. The rooms are small, but they are very clean and have a classy look to them. I have been to a lot of Sheratons around the world, and the rooms here are decorated differently as others have said.

In-room dining is decent, no complaints there - only one time did have a slightly negative experience with food taking an hour to arrive when I was told 30 minutes but in all other stays it has been timely. Small bathrooms but I've stayed in smaller at other locations. The noise that people have mentioned in the past...I guess I just have not seen that, and I would notice something like that rather easily. Highway noise was absolutely not an issue and I have stayed in rooms on both sides of the hotel and corners. I will say though, I notice the noise from other doors slamming shut in the hall. That might be the only noise I heard. Beds are comfortable, and I cannot think of a stay where I did not get a decent nights rest. Most of my flights were early ones, so the location of the hotel is convenient for JFK. Shuttle runs every half hour.

The neighborhood itself is not going to offer you world class dining choices like in Manhattan. If that's what one is looking for, you're better off staying in the city or somewhere closer to the city. Front desk will provide you with a few delivery options and they've been good for the most part.

I had read the negative reviews prior to my very first stay here in August 2013. 6 stays later, with the most recent being in September 2014 - I'm still wondering how this property had the kinds of reviews it did before. With a lack of SPG properties that are convenient to JFK, this is definitely a decent airport hotel. ^