Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Montreal, Quebec 2007 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

W Montreal, Quebec 2007 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2009, 11:05 am
ABG

Programs: Virtuoso TA, Four Seasons Pref Partner, Rosewood Elite TA, Ritz Carlton STARS TA
Zipadee.. do you feel comfortable in a modern hotel? If so go for the W... if you are willing to forgo points (ie Fairmont, which has zero romance by the way) then look at Hotel Saint James or Hotel Le Germain. Saint James is the hotel of choice for the celebrity market and offers a real old world feel with top notch service. Resto is currently being renovated. Germain is a more contemporary hotel without being too modern (ie W style with open plan bathroom / bedroom),

Also be mindful of our Thanksgiving holiday weekend in October which pushes up against a big party event run at the nearby convention centre run by the gay community as a fundraiser. The W will be jamming with people in a party mood and might create more noise than usual.
Old Sep 17, 2009, 10:42 am

Programs: SPG, Aeroplan, Priority Club, Choice Privileges
The le crystal is a nice hotel as well, loved the rooms there.
Old Sep 19, 2009, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by ABG
Zipadee.. do you feel comfortable in a modern hotel? If so go for the W... if you are willing to forgo points (ie Fairmont, which has zero romance by the way) then look at Hotel Saint James or Hotel Le Germain. Saint James is the hotel of choice for the celebrity market and offers a real old world feel with top notch service. Resto is currently being renovated. Germain is a more contemporary hotel without being too modern (ie W style with open plan bathroom / bedroom),

Also be mindful of our Thanksgiving holiday weekend in October which pushes up against a big party event run at the nearby convention centre run by the gay community as a fundraiser. The W will be jamming with people in a party mood and might create more noise than usual.
Just wanted to update. We booked the W. Unfortunately I didn't realize (valuable lesson learned) that by booking through Travelocity I lost my Preferred Plus priviledges. But it was a great deal. Oh well, still hope for a higher floor room. I'm very excited about our stay and checking out the W. We love Mardi Gras in New Orleans and survived the 09 version at the Royal Sonesta (tres bien!) I'll be in a party mood and can't wait. I hope the weather cooperates. I'll let you know how my first time W experience goes. Thanks for all the help and advice.

Some of the more popular hotels were already booked up because it is a popular week. I'm happy with our choice. As my husband said, we can't get powdered eggs anywhere. The W seemed like a great hotel choice, great location and we want to enjoy Montreal breakfasts anyway rather than save the money for the Embassy Suite breakfast. The extra money is worth the Montreal food experience we decided.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 8:02 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Extreme Wow Suite

Have now stayed in both Extreme Wow Suites, but only have pics from my last one- 1012 which is the corner suite with wraparound balcony. Its a bit smaller than the one on the other side of the hall, but the corner feel makes up for it.
Some pics-

Looked over the balcony and saw this familiar site..

Remote control for curtains, shades, TV, lights, etc

Morning sunlight

Great spot for an after work beverage
Old Oct 18, 2009, 8:22 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
I wanted to report back about our W Montreal experience and thank again everyone for their thoughts and assistance. This is long so I warn you in advance. But hopefully this will help someone else. And those who don't want to read it, just skip ahead to the next post.

I certainly understand now the mixed reviews on tripadvisor.com. My overall experience wound up quite positive. I would recommend this hotel with certain caveats and I'd happily stay there again. But I'd go into it with my eyes wide open and book a mega room from the get go. And I'd know this hotel can have its shortcomings but can go above and beyond when it comes to service and friendliness. And I'd know I would want to be an elite with Starwoods.

I had booked a king wonderful room via a travelocity package. I booked a wonderful room (rather than a cozy room) in part because the web site indicated every wonderful rooms have views of the park and the glass enclosed shower. I also wanted the extra space that a wonderful room gave over a cozy room. I had hoped as a Starwoods Plus member I'd get a corner room on a higher floor.

When I discovered I wouldn't get those benefits, I emailed concierge about my noise concerns and that my husband and I would be celebrating a special occassion and could we request an upper floor and definitely not a third-floor room. I noted we were both Starwoods Plus. I also asked for some restaurant recommendations. Daniel replied very graciously and assured me he would do everything he could to fulfill my request. He said he couldn't guarantee me anything but he felt certain my requests would be met.

They weren't. We checked in around 3:30 p.m. We were assigned a THIRD FLOOR ROOM (the one floor I requested NOT to be on). I begged for a room on any higher floor but I was assured that they were full and that was the only king wonderful room in the entire hotel available for check in but Daniel had noted my request and I should have a birthday gift in my room when we checked in. They also said we could move to an upper floor the next night but who really wants to unpack and repack and then unpack on the second day of a three-night stay? I'm sure some folks won't understand my concern but I was quite concerned about noise and this was a big deal to me.

I get to the room and discovered a not so fabulous view of a conference room in some sort of office building. There were three people meeting in a dark room when I looked out the window. Honestly, I think it is false advertising on Starwood's part. The website doesn't say MOST rooms have views of the park. It says all wonderful rooms do. They don't. The room felt cramped and I was certain i was in a cozy room. One of the reasons I thought so was based on the bathroom. The shower didn't look into the sleeping area.

I marched down to the front desk and spoke to Francoise. (spelling). He assured me I had a wonderful room but said another wonderful room on a higher floor had come open and he would show it to me. It did have the glass enclosed shower I was expecting. But it was MUCH smaller than my room. You could almost sit in the middle of the bed and reach across and touch the walls. The view was also of the conference room we had in our room. He assured me this was a small wonderful room, not a cozy room. I have no idea at this point what room category was what. But I was done. The shower wasn't that spectacular and the room was too small for me. I was going to take my third-floor room and grin and bear it and flame away on the net when I got back. He asked about my complimentary gift and I said it hadn't been delivered. He said he would rectify it.

I head back to our room. We were exhausted and just wanted to nap before heading out. We joked that we would sleep in our clothes but the gift would never come because of how our experience was going. We were right. But we didn't get to sleep long because around 5 p.m. vaccuuming commenced right outside our door.

We headed out for dinner around 6 or so. The front desk gave us horrible directions to Hurley's. That night we didn't notice any noise from the clubs but the staff had told us Wednesday nights were quiet. Still no gift in the room. And honestly I didn't care at that point. I wasn't going to let a room category dictate a trip. We'd had drinks at the Plateau bar that night around midnight and really enjoyed it. I loved the sexy feel of the public rooms. The map provided by the concierge was great. I loved how easy it was to access the subway from inside the W. (that was great since it rained during quite a bit of our trip). And the bed was one of the best, if not the best, I'd ever experienced. We loved the pillows. The W Montreal was NOT living up to my Le Meridien Munich or Westin St. Louis expectations but I'd had far worse hotel experiences.

And then the pixie dust (to borrow a phrase from the DIS boards) was sprinkled on me around 11 a.m. the next morning. Francois called to see how our stay was going and offer to upgrade us to a mega room. I initially thought do I really want to spend time packing up and moving when we had already overslept and were running behind on our day. But I figured what the heck. For me, a hotel room is important and sets a mood, tone, feel. And I had read so much about the mega rooms and wanted to see it.

boy, am I glad I did! We were taken to room 912, mega room, and it was simply beautiful. It was truly the sexiest hotel room I've ever been in. The view was fabulous. The bathroom, oh my gosh, I cannot say how fabulous that soaking tub was. Did I say how sexy this room was? The bed, the room, it was amazing. I could not have been more pleased. And when we returned after six hours of hiking around Mont Royal and drinking at the Bar, I discovered a bottle of ice wine and a birthday card signed by seemingly every member of the hotel staff. We quaffed it before heading out to Europea.

The soaking tub was great for enjoying in the afternoon after a day of sight seeing and before heading out for dinner. Great for the aching feet and knees. The rain shower was amazing too. I think it was bigger than the closet in my first apartment!

I give total props for the hotel staff trying to make me happy and going above and beyond. Was I disappointed that I got the third-floor room in the beginning rather than a higher floor? Yes, but that was more than washed away by the upgrade. And the thing is when we return (and yes we will) I'll book the mega room from the get go. No messing around with the wonderful room for me again. Why book such a room when there's such a fabulous room that can be booked? I can't even imagine the rooms most FTers get.

The bellmen, concierge and front desk staff we interacted with were helpful and professional. We loved the easy access to the subway and Vieux Montreal. We had drinks twice a the Plateau. Yes, it's way over priced but the atmosphere is mad fun and the staff good We got one night the fainting couches at the top of the stairs. That was nice. We had no interest in the Wunderbar. We tried to do the Tini Bar but it was closed around 12:30 a.m. on a Friday, which surprised me. We didn't eat at Otto simply because of time. We would like to on a future trip.

Bottom line, I wound up quite pleased with choosing the W Montreal for my birthday trip and would happily stay there again but only if booking a mega room. (although hubby wants to try Place D'Armes or another hotel deeper in Vieux Montreal). I'm happy to answer any questions and thanks again for your help and those who read to the end.

PS Above the Upstairs Jazz Club at all costs!
Old Nov 2, 2009, 7:40 pm

I am a Platinum member who just got back from a Sunday night only award stay at the hotel.

Service casual and pleasant.

I booked a Wonderful Room and was upgraded to a Fantastic Suite.

Had lots of work to do and it was late on Sunday night so I had room service dinner and had a conference call the next morning so room service breakfast too.

Both were fine but not outstanding.

There didn't seem to be hardly anyone at the hotel.
Old Nov 18, 2009, 2:35 pm

Programs: BA, LH, VS, Hyatt, SPG
I note from a recent stay that there are no longer 2 PCs in the Wired room with complimentary internet access and printing. There is one Mac and internet access and printing now has to be paid for. I got caught out as I had documents that needed printing that I could have done in the lounge before my flight for free!

For the record, I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel. It really is an excellent property. I love the lobby and Plateau Lounge and I have always found the service to be very warm and friendly.

Also, if anyone is looking for places nearby for breakfast/brunch I would recommend:

Le Cartet, 106 Rue McGill (near Rue Wellington). Very popular on weekdays with workers in Cité du Multimédia and at weekends.

Olive & Gourmando, 351 Saint Paul West http://www.oliveetgourmando.com (Closed Sun & Mon)
Old Nov 18, 2009, 3:04 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by ian001
I note from a recent stay that there are no longer 2 PCs in the Wired room with complimentary internet access and printing. There is one Mac and internet access and printing now has to be paid for. I got caught out as I had documents that needed printing that I could have done in the lounge before my flight for free!

For the record, I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel. It really is an excellent property. I love the lobby and Plateau Lounge and I have always found the service to be very warm and friendly.

Also, if anyone is looking for places nearby for breakfast/brunch I would recommend:

Le Cartet, 106 Rue McGill (near Rue Wellington). Very popular on weekdays with workers in Cité du Multimédia and at weekends.

Olive & Gourmando, 351 Saint Paul West http://www.oliveetgourmando.com (Closed Sun & Mon)
I also recommend Vallier (which is also a rewards network restaurant), the restaurant in the St.Paul hotel and Holder which is a bistro. All are within walking distance of the hotel.
Old Nov 19, 2009, 3:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
LOL I have learned to stay at the Intercontinental down the street!
Old Jan 22, 2010, 12:16 pm
zaf

Programs: HH Gold VIP, BonVoy Gold, BAEC Gold, AmEx Platinum, Visa Infinite
W Montreal

I am planning a trip to montreal early Feb, W hotel is one of my choices. As I have never been to W Montreal before I was looking to getting some feedback from you guys.

I am SPG Gold.

I am between it and Hilton Montreal Bonaventure.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Jan 22, 2010 at 12:55 pm Reason: Moved into thread on property
Old Apr 26, 2010, 3:40 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Amazing stay

Just got back from a 3 night stay at the W Montreal...have to echo all the positive comments here about the hotel. The staff was simply amazing - received an upgrade to a Fantastic Suite (from a Wonderful room) 2 weeks in advance. The suite itself was just one room but quite large and very bright, with nice views of the small park below. This hotel has one of the friendliest staff I have encountered - always willing to accommodate requests with a smile.

All starwood properties are within walking distance of each other (The westin is just around the corner from the W) but I doubt I will be staying elsewhere on my next visit.
Old Jul 12, 2010, 10:39 am

Programs: Not much these days: BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, HH Gold
Had a great stay in a Wonderful Room here last week...

One advantage to being on the inner atrium... was able to pick up the Free WiFi even on the 8th floor. There were two WiFi services listed, GuestSuiteWireless and FreeGuestSuiteWireless. FGSW was a bit flakey at times and showed low signal, but was OK even to use for Slinging allowing for the occasional dropout.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 6:17 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Starwood Gold, Fairmont Platinum
I am using Free Weekend Nights in October for the W Montreal. Is it better to rent a car from the airport and look for parking or better to take public transportation back and forth. Is parking an issue like most major cities?
Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:33 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AC*E, PC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by shyam99
I am using Free Weekend Nights in October for the W Montreal. Is it better to rent a car from the airport and look for parking or better to take public transportation back and forth. Is parking an issue like most major cities?
My preference has always been to rent a car from Trudeau Airport. Without traffic, it's a good 20 minute drive, approximately 20 km. Parking can be troublesome downtown. Although the valet parking is pricey, they typically have almost been welcoming, informative and helpful. Make sure you call early enough to get your car retrieved in time. Ste. Catherine is only a few blocks away and old downtown Montreal is around the corner, both easily within walking distance.
Old Aug 3, 2010, 7:50 pm
Suspended

I have always just cabbed it. Don't think I have ever rented a car. Depends on how much you need a car during your stay.

Also, this property is relatively inexpensive on weekends, no? I don't think I would burn a freebie on this one...unless you don't anticipate other pleasure travel through December.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.