Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Montreal, Quebec 2007 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

W Montreal, Quebec 2007 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2009, 8:18 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: National Executive, AAdvantage Platinum, SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond

W Montreal

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

W Montreal

901 Square Victoria Montreal, QC CA H2Z1R1

W Montreal (0 Photo)

W Montreal

Pre-Arrival
Used two of my free weekend nights from the Q2 Promotion here at the W Montreal. Two weeks in advance I was surprised to find my reservation had already been touched and upgraded from a standard wonderful room to a fantastic suite. Definitely the furthest in advance I have ever been upgraded! A nice touch and shows you how well they treat Platinum Members at this hotel. In addition I later found out that the Rogers Cup Tennis Tournament in town so the hotel was booked solid for the weekend.

Arrival
My wife and I flew into Montreal and took the Via Rail train to Quebec City for 3 days prior to our stay at the W. Mrs. Sleepdoc and I had a fantastic time in QC and stayed at theFairmont Le Chateau Frontenac.

The W Montreal is conveniently situated downtown across from Victoria Square downtown. It is a short walk to Old Montreal, Chinatown, the Metro and the rue St Catherine where you will find the insanely large and confusing indoor mall that stretches from building to building. I can imagine though this would be very convenient during the winters! In addition the Westin is just a short walk away from the W… though we didn’t tour it and just saw it from a short distance. We arrived at the W Hotel quite early on Friday just before noon by train. Inquired about the possibly of checking in early with the friendly FD clerk and was pleased to find that our suite would only take about 1 hour to clean as the guest had just checked out. I took a W scented candle as my Platinum Amenity gift. Not wanting to explore around at that time we headed to the bar at Restaurant Otto and had a few drinks while we waited for suite. My wife and I met a friendly female pair from England and had a hilarious chat with them with over drinks. We did not take partake in the meals at Restaurant Otto but the bar drinks were interesting enough and the selection of premium liquors was plentiful though they were missing a few key ingredients for certain drinks that our newly found friends attempted to order. In the mornings the bar also serves as the W Cafwith coffee and assorted pastries. Incidentally unlike many other W’s the coffee here is not for free and there is nominal amount that one can bill to your room.

W Front Entrance

Main Floor/Concierge Desk in the rear

Restaurant Otto

Fantastic Suite
The FD clerk called us when the suite was ready and we proceeded to head up via the one bank of elevators. All of the floors with rooms must be accessed with your keycard. Typical W mat in the elevator… this one only says bonjour. No switching of mats during the day to reflect the morning, afternoon, or evening as the other W’s in the states commonly do. Hallways and of course overall feel of this W lend to the trendy dark hues and reds with softly lighted corridors.

Elevator Foyer

Hallway with moving LED painting

Only one entrance to the suite, immediately to your right is a large cabinet with a small set of drawers and large amount of hanging space and typical room vault. Next to this is your wet bar with goodies and refrigerator filled with typical beers, hard liquors, juices, water, and sodas. The Fantastic Suite is one big room with a large couch, dual sinks, open shower, separate door enclosed toilet and large bathtub in the center with only a wall separating the bathroom from the rest of the suite. In addition as others have mentioned there is a flat screen TV that swivels to either face the bed or the couch. There is a typical Ipod dock with speaker next to the bed along with a James Concierge iPhone on the desk that sits in a dual docking station. Although nice I didn’t really find the James iPhone to be overly helpful and preferred to use the services of the real concierge downstairs.

Fantastic Suite Pano

W Bed

Suite Living Room

Suite Bathroom

James Concierge

Way Spa
There is no Bliss Spa at this W as we have been accustomed to at the stateside Ws. According the concierge this W does not have a Bliss Spa as there is a minimum square footage that is required but nevertheless the services at this small spa in the lower level was excellent and we would easily recommend it.

Restaurant/Bars/Room Service
Did not partake in Restaurant Otto other than using the W Cafin the mornings for a cup of coffee. Room Service was excellent… we had a nice flatbread along with Middle Eastern inspired chicken skewers with cucumber dipping sauce.

There are three main bars in the hotel. Bartini a very small bar located next to the elevators, WunderBar is on the opposite side of the hallway and lastly the Plateau Lounge located on the Mezzanine level. We only partook in the Plateau Lounge… had one of their famous Maple Mojitos… unless you like your drinks really sweet this one may not be the one for you!

Plateau Lounge

WunderBar

Final Notes/Conclusion
Only two small problems arose during our stay. We had a small leak from the ceiling in the hallway of our suite and later found out that our AC compressor was blocked according to maintenance. They unfortunately were unable to fix it that night. A discussion with the 2nd shift manager revealed that the only other suite available was on the 3rd floor and according to her the noise level in that suite can be quite unbearable secondary to Plateau Lounge a floor below. She did offer us a standard room to which she apologized profusely as the hotel was fully booked and all the other suites were taken. I suggested that we could open the windows (these are locked and have to be opened with a special key), as it was cool enough outside to make the room bearable in the evenings along with the addition of a fan, which I requested. The following day I was assured that the AC would be fixed at the time Mrs. Sleepdoc and I were at the Way spa. Unfortunately the morning manager neglected to read the morning reports and this was not done. He apologized profusely and had it repaired immediately along with comping our room service ordered the night before and sending us a nice bottle of wine.

Platinum recognition as well as treatment is excellent in this hotel. I forgot to mention that the female concierge helped us (actually me!) track down the painting that we had bought in Quebec City which I forgot on the Via Rail train on the way back to Montreal. My French is sorely lacking and she made the process of finding the painting much easier! Merci! She in addition made reservations at an excellent restaurant in the Latin Quarter of the city. The service and friendliness at the hotel were excellent and we certainly didn’t sense any of the pretentiousness or “I’m better than you attitude” that some would describe as the W brand. We would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Montreal. Another great stay for us!

W Montreal

Would you like to write a review on the W Montreal?

No, thank you.
Yes

Last edited by SleepDoc; Aug 16, 2009 at 6:48 pm Reason: Link to Le Chateau Frontenac and slightly higher resolution pictures.
Old Aug 14, 2009, 10:53 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Sleepdoc- glad you enjoyed your stay! I just got upgraded to a Wow suite this week, though I'm posting pics from my stay this winter (just learned how to embed photos). I LOVE this hotel..my favorite Starwood in North America by far

Last edited by thepointsguy; Aug 15, 2009 at 8:44 am Reason: spelling
Old Aug 15, 2009, 7:40 am

Programs: National Executive, AAdvantage Platinum, SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
pitbrian yeah we loved this hotel too... you must visit Montreal quite often to get another Wow suite! The wife and I typically get great service at all of the W's we've stayed at with very few exceptions. Glad you figured out how to imbed your photos. My apologies to everyone on the graininess of my photos... iPhone photos. I don't typically carry my camera on me.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 1:25 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I just checked my ressie and my next Tuesday-Thursday stay was pre- upgraded from a standard room to a Fantastic Suite - used Cash and Points.

Should I print out the confirmation in case they boot us to the standard room by the ice machine?
Old Aug 24, 2009, 1:29 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by lalala
I just checked my ressie and my next Tuesday-Thursday stay was pre- upgraded from a standard room to a Fantastic Suite - used Cash and Points.

Should I print out the confirmation in case they boot us to the standard room by the ice machine?
Not sure if it would do any good even if they did. The upgrade is subject to availability at check-in and that can change at any time before that.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Aug 24, 2009, 7:49 pm

Location: AC Million Miler & long time SE; StarwoodPlat for 10+ yrs & lifetime Gold; Hilton Honours Diamond; IC Ambassador; AMEX Plat;Avis Presidents Club; Airmiles GOLD; and just about everything else!
Programs: aeroplan & 25+year loyalty

Be aware that *W u/g policy is effective day of arrival and even at that it is not reliable. For example I recently stayed at W Court in NYC and was told a few hours before my arrival I was given a suite but when I checked in, I was given a regular room. I was very disappointed.

Also be aware that the W Montreal is now a non smoking/non sinful hotel. Pity IMHO. Starwood is losing a lot of my business as a result but it seems happy with itself for this decision. Most W hotels still offer sinful rooms to those of us who puff, but not in Montreal which amazes me. However the Hilton Embassy Suites which is 1 block away offers what I want and all rooms are suites for a fraction of the price the W Montreal commands. Check out the alternatives!!! where you are a puffer or not.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by 100,000miler
Be aware that *W u/g policy is effective day of arrival and even at that it is not reliable. For example I recently stayed at W Court in NYC and was told a few hours before my arrival I was given a suite but when I checked in, I was given a regular room. I was very disappointed.

Also be aware that the W Montreal is now a non smoking/non sinful hotel. Pity IMHO. Starwood is losing a lot of my business as a result but it seems happy with itself for this decision. Most W hotels still offer sinful rooms to those of us who puff, but not in Montreal which amazes me. However the Hilton Embassy Suites which is 1 block away offers what I want and all rooms are suites for a fraction of the price the W Montreal commands. Check out the alternatives!!! where you are a puffer or not.
It's actually not just the W Montreal that is non-smoking... It's the law in the province of Quebec so not really the fault of Starwood. Quite a surprise as there does seem a large percentage of people from my observation that do smoke in Montreal. Nevertheless outside of many buildings there are cigarette receptacles in abundance.
Old Aug 24, 2009, 10:05 pm

yea I realized they can change it all the time. I was preblocked to a Fantastic Suite for my stay this Friday but then i just saw they d/g me to the wonderful park view room. Hopefully I'll get something better on the day of arrival.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 6:43 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue, HHonors Gold, PC Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver, A-Club Plat, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by SleepDoc
It's actually not just the W Montreal that is non-smoking... It's the law in the province of Quebec so not really the fault of Starwood.
Actually, the Quebec law prohibits smoking in all public spaces but smoking rooms are allowed at the discretion of the hotel.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Nomade
Actually, the Quebec law prohibits smoking in all public spaces but smoking rooms are allowed at the discretion of the hotel.
Nomade, I stand corrected! You're right designated smoking rooms are at the discretion of the hotel. My apologies on the semi-correct info I relayed earlier.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 4:09 pm

Programs: AA Gold, *wood Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
I've read all 17 pages of this thread. I've been reading reviews on Tripadvisor.com too.

I'm a Preferred Plus looking at going to Montreal for three or four nights next month (will depend on airfare, prefer four nights but due to price for flights will likely end up being three). Celebrating a special birthday. (the age women don't like to acknowledge)

Mr. Zipadee and I are in late 30s/early 40s. Would we feel out of place at this hotel? I absolutely love Starwood and Westins. I love the Westin in St. Louis and the Le Meridien in Munich. Never stayed at a W.

I would want a quiet room. I can book a wonderful room. Any chance a preferred plus will get upgraded to another category or at least get a higher room floor so I don't get stuck listening to the pulsating music I've read about?

Also, if we do four nights I'd be arriving around midnight. Would I get a crappy room then?

I know the new Westin gets mixed reviews but would be better off there? My other option is the Embassy Suites. Did I read there are smoking rooms there? My preference is an entirely non smoking hotel. Pricewise, there's only $25 or so between Westin and W. Embassy Suites is in the same price range. I like Embassy Suites and the extra room and breakfast/evening cocktails are tempting. Anyone stayed at all three?

This is our first time to Canada and Montreal. Like I said, I'm wanting a special romantic trip so I'd really appreciate suggestions.

Edited to add: Do I understand right that the W has a tub and the Westin doesn't? But the W has the weird bathroom set up. Does the wonderful rooms have the privacy curtain? And what about the view comparisons? Does the W have a nicer view of the square? And metro access? Does the W still have older style tvs? Which has better English speaking channel options?

And finally, the Fairmount is actually the cheapest "nice" hotel option. Would you recommend it over the others? My preference is the W but I'm wanting to be convinced I guess.

Last edited by zipadee; Sep 10, 2009 at 4:19 pm
Old Sep 10, 2009, 5:59 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by zipadee
I've read all 17 pages of this thread. I've been reading reviews on Tripadvisor.com too.

I'm a Preferred Plus looking at going to Montreal for three or four nights next month (will depend on airfare, prefer four nights but due to price for flights will likely end up being three). Celebrating a special birthday. (the age women don't like to acknowledge)

Mr. Zipadee and I are in late 30s/early 40s. Would we feel out of place at this hotel? I absolutely love Starwood and Westins. I love the Westin in St. Louis and the Le Meridien in Munich. Never stayed at a W.

I would want a quiet room. I can book a wonderful room. Any chance a preferred plus will get upgraded to another category or at least get a higher room floor so I don't get stuck listening to the pulsating music I've read about?

Also, if we do four nights I'd be arriving around midnight. Would I get a crappy room then?

I know the new Westin gets mixed reviews but would be better off there? My other option is the Embassy Suites. Did I read there are smoking rooms there? My preference is an entirely non smoking hotel. Pricewise, there's only $25 or so between Westin and W. Embassy Suites is in the same price range. I like Embassy Suites and the extra room and breakfast/evening cocktails are tempting. Anyone stayed at all three?

This is our first time to Canada and Montreal. Like I said, I'm wanting a special romantic trip so I'd really appreciate suggestions.

Edited to add: Do I understand right that the W has a tub and the Westin doesn't? But the W has the weird bathroom set up. Does the wonderful rooms have the privacy curtain? And what about the view comparisons? Does the W have a nicer view of the square? And metro access? Does the W still have older style tvs? Which has better English speaking channel options?

And finally, the Fairmount is actually the cheapest "nice" hotel option. Would you recommend it over the others? My preference is the W but I'm wanting to be convinced I guess.
Don't know about preferred plus, but I can say this property is very generous with upgrades. I say this while sitting in a corner Extreme Wow Suite on the top floor... pics to follow later

Anyway- I don't think you would feel out of place here. I see many couples in their 30s/40s quite enjoying themselves. If you've never stayed at a W, this is the W to try. While the atmosphere is somewhat clubby- I find it fun and different. I haven't tried the other properties you mention, but I just can't imagine celebrating a special occasion at an Embassy Suites I like the W because its in between the Old Port and downtown- easy walks to both. As for your other questions:
All of the TVs are new plasmas (at least in all the rooms I've had).
I don't think Wonderful rooms have tubs- just nice rainfall showers (with Bliss products). But all of the suites have nice soaking tubs complete with rubber duckies.
The W is right on Square Victoria so the view is the best, though its not that much to see. There are some side rooms that look into an adjacent office building, so try to request park view (most rooms).

As for free breakfast/cocktails at the Embassy Suites- if thats what you are looking for, then take it. The W is expensive- and that is coming from a Manhattanite. My breakfast this AM was a $9 pot of coffee (only coffee option) and $22 bowl of yogurt and granola. Drinks are expensive too- but the bars have wonderful cocktail menus and fun waitstaff.

The Westin seems to be a mess- so I'd avoid it for the time being.

Anyway- I don't think you'll be disappointed at the W unless you are very cost conscious. Enjoy your birthday whereever you end up!
Old Sep 10, 2009, 6:27 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, MH Gold, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by zipadee

I'm in my late 30's and spend more time at the W Montreal than I do at my house. I never feel uncomfortable here at all. The other poster is correct as I am also sitting in an upgraded Mega Room right now and that's the worst room I have gotten. I spent the first half of this year staying at the Marriott Chateau Champlain and the experience is much better here.

My room has a 40" LCD and IIRC that's pretty much what most have. I was in a big suite one week and it seems like that room had a different TV but it has been a while. That said, I basically only watch sports on TV and honestly have never turned my TV on here before now (use a SlingBox and tune in to my home channels) but after tracking down the remote it looks like there are about 40 channels and a decent split on English vs French.

Other points:
Metro is literally right across the street.
I usually get here around midnight on Sunday nights and do not get crappy rooms
The view is, well, it is OK I guess but not spectacular
Old Sep 10, 2009, 6:41 pm

Of Starwood properties in Montreal, I prefer the Sheraton. Not likely to be upgraded though. The views from the Lounge and the higher rooms are wonderful.

Beyond Starwood, you might think about Le Vogue or one of the boutique hotels - Le Germaine, etc... maybe one of the newer/older ones in old Montreal.

The Fairmont is OK, in a John Lennon retro cosmopolitan kind of way.

There really is no such thing as a bad location in downtown Montreal - you can pretty well walk anywhere, time and weather permitting.

Cheers,
Old Sep 12, 2009, 3:14 am

Programs: AGR WOH
There's no need to worry about the W Montreal, although given your list of concerns maybe you'd enjoy the Embassy Suites. I've enjoyed both this year (since the Westin just opened, haven't been there). However, I wasn't able to snag an upgrade at the W (also Preferred), since it was a summer weekend and pretty well booked up. I'm not aware of smoking rooms at the Embassy Suites, although it's possible -- but my floor, at least, was nonsmoking. The Embassy room itself was amazing: lots of space, a fantastic bath, a full kitchen. The Fairmont is an older grand-dame hotel, closer to the middle of the business district.

Noise was not a problem on the 5th floor -- and given that the public areas go up to the 3rd floor, it really shouldn't affect the vast majority of rooms. At least some rooms at the W don't have tubs, but from what I understand most have the see-through shower. The Westin and the W both front public squares -- Place Jean-Paul Riopelle and Square Victoria, respectively -- and actually, as an urban designer, I prefer Place Riopelle. The Westin is about half a block further from the metro (you have to walk through the striking convention center), but in any case you can get there without going outside. My room at the W had a flat panel TV.

Do NOT worry about English, since all the hotels not only get CBC English broadcasts and all your favorite American cable channels, but even TV stations from Vermont (NBC, PBS, etc.) -- and by and large the Montrealais (downtown and west) are happily bilingual. (I was there two weeks ago with a fluent French speaker who grumbled at how little he was able to speak it.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.