Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

W Montreal, Quebec 2007 on [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
Hotel email: [email protected]
Print Wikipost

W Montreal, Quebec 2007 on [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2011, 11:54 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Snow Storm Package

When it snows 20 centimeters or more during your stay (from now until February 28, 2011), you’ll get a $20 CAD room credit. Priced from $199 CAD per night, the Snow Storm Package includes chic accommodations in a Wonderful room plus the room credit. Valid for arrivals all days of the week.
Old Jan 5, 2011, 2:06 pm

Stayed here during the Jazz Fest around the 4th of July wknd. All three nights were paid differently: pts, cash+pts, and revenue. They asked if we wanted to checkin to a regular room at our arrival time of 1100 or wait an hour or two to be UG to the fantastic suite for all three nights as *wood G. Guess what we took

If you were UG into the suite, hopefully it is with a mistress as it has a shower with glass windows looking out into the city and no doors j/k.

drew
Old Mar 20, 2011, 3:34 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
These Wow suites look like they have a remarkably good Wow factor. Does anyone have pictures beyond what is on the website?
Old Mar 20, 2011, 3:50 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA Gold
I had 20 stays at W Montreal last year and I got upgraded to Wow or E-Wow at W Montreal 50% of the time.

Blissworld has some great pictures in his flickr album:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/dunkind...7615203280366/
Old Mar 20, 2011, 6:50 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by NYBanker
These Wow suites look like they have a remarkably good Wow factor. Does anyone have pictures beyond what is on the website?
I used to stay at this hotel almost every week and have stayed in each Wow and E-Wow at least one. If you go through this thread, I posted pics
this post, this post

If you want WOW, go for the E-wow!
Old Apr 8, 2011, 7:11 pm

Programs: AC Prestige, SPG Gold, Hilton Silver, 1 Club Gold
I'm looking forward a 2 nights stay at W Montréal during the 15 April weekend.
I'm SPG Gold and booking with C&P. I'll report the experience!
Old Apr 25, 2011, 2:51 pm

Am investigating the W Montreal for a stag party. Seems like the place to be, but am trying to learn more about rooms with 2 beds.

1) It seems that the smallest room with two beds is a mega room...and that mega rooms aren't available for regular points (or better yet C&P) bookings. Is that right?

2) Do the rooms with two beds have more private shower and toilet set-ups? I would assume so, but wouldn't want to be surprised on that front.

Thanks.
Old Jul 3, 2011, 9:12 am

Programs: SPG Platium, PC Ambassador & Platium, Aeroplan Elite
All the suites are not closed suites, only open concept, correct? Any idea how many WOW and EWOW suites are at the properties?

What are the chances to get upgraded to it as a plat?
Old Jul 4, 2011, 10:22 am

Programs: SQ TPP, BA Gold, Hyatt Life Glob, SPG/Marriott Life Plat,
I got upgraded to one of the open suites a week ago as a plat.
Old Jul 4, 2011, 12:21 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AC*E, PC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by Wallease
All the suites are not closed suites, only open concept, correct? Any idea how many WOW and EWOW suites are at the properties?

What are the chances to get upgraded to it as a plat?
At minimum, I am usually upgraded to a Fantastic Suite. Pre-upgrades prior to arrival, albeit subject to change up to check in, usually happens well in advance. I have stay booked for July 14th and the pre-upgrade on the reservation changed from a Wonderful room to a Fantastic suite at the end of June. I have also been re-upgraded upon arrival to a Wow suite. ^
Old Jul 8, 2011, 3:46 pm

Availability puzzler

The W is showing no availability for the night of July 13 -- but you can still book the entire week, or any 2- or 3-day stay that includes 7/13.

I get the concept that hotels sometimes impose minimum-duration stay requirements (say, around college graduation and other high-draw events). What I'm missing is why July 13 would be such an occasion, and I say that with full knowledge that the next day is Bastille Day (in France; not so much in Canada) and the Taylor Swift concert.

Clues, please?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 3:29 pm

Thumbs up Stay report

Mrs. Beltway and I stayed at the W for 4 days earlier this month. Verdict? ^^^

Booking: I started by booking a C&P reservation several weeks in advance. Since the only available room option was a Wonderful with atrium view, I sent hotel management a short email a) noting that we'd be there celebrating our anniversary and b) inquiring about the availability of a better room, especially with a view of Square Victoria. An assistant manager replied promptly, noting my Gold status & pre-upgrading us to a Mega room with a park view. Although secretly hoping to hit the suite lottery, I was nonetheless pleased.

Getting there: If you're traveling on your own dime & your travel partner isn't fussy, take the 747 express bus from the airport. (More detail posted in the Canada travel forum. The pass, costing CAD$8, is good for 24 hours for any STM bus or subway trip.) We walked out of the arrivals building directly onto a waiting bus for the ~35 min. ride downtown.

Conveniently, STM very recently added a new stop (Union) quite near the W. Exit the bus at Rene Levesque@Union; walk east on Levesque (same direction as the bus is heading) for 1 block; turn right on Cote du Beaver Hall; walk down the hill 3 short blocks to Square Victoria, and you'll see the W across the square.

Location: The W sits a little NW of Old Montreal, in easy walking distance. There's also a Metro entrance in Square Victoria directly in front of the hotel, offering direct travel on the Orange Line to the Plateau, Jean Talon Market, and other areas of interest.

Checkin: As predicted (and noted in our reservation), we arrived around 2pm. The clerk noted my status and, without any prompting, offered 4pm check-out on our last day. She was extraordinarily patient with our rusty French, not to mention charming and (as even Mrs. B observed) drop-dead gorgeous.

Room: In excellent shape, with all amenities in place. Unavaca's photos above show a very similar layout, except that our bath area was bigger and more open to the rest of the room.

The view out over the square (as depicted in Unavaca's photo) is quite pleasant, and much more dramatic at night. If I have time, I'll try to post a photo or two.

Service: In a word, fantastic. On returning to the room our first night, we found a tray of bonbons and a bottle of Canadian wine (flavored with maple syrup) waiting for us, along with a note of congratulations on our anniversary. In the Whatever/Whenever department, over the course of the stay we asked for a few things (shower cap, sewing kit, champagne flutes) that were all promptly & cheerfully delivered. And our charming friend at the front desk happily took care of mailing a postcard for us.

People sometimes complain that staff -- whether at Starwod properties or elsewhere -- don't seem to respect or understand the purpose of the do-not-disturb sign. We had no such problems, either in the morning or when we came back in the evening to shower & change before dinner.

Concierge service was unfailingly polite and attentive. We'd hoped to have dinner at a well-known foodie restaurant which hadn't responded to my pre-arrival email & wasn't picking up the phone when we called. (They turned out to be doing renovations.) The people staffing the Top Desir desk kept at it for us over the course of a couple days & finally managed to get us a table on our last night in town.

The concierge and bell staff also get high marks for the Acura service. We asked about getting a late evening (~9:40) ride up to Mile End for dinner; even though the service normally stops at 9pm, and despite the fact that this destination was outside the usual range, we were accommodated. The car arrived a bit late from another run owing to traffic, and we made it about 20 minutes late for our reservation -- but of course the W concierge had thoughtfully called ahead to the restaurant, so it all worked out.

On-site bars: The Mrs. & I were more interested in sightseeing/foodie haunts/museums than in the bar scene, but in the late evenings from Wednesday through the weekend you really can't miss the fact that the W is a very trendy destination for the locals:
Originally Posted by SometimesFlyer
I've brought my own glass of wine down to the "living room" at night and chilled out there before. As someone pointed out, it can be one heck of a scene as it does turn into more like a thumping nightclub. People watching is good there.
All true. I can safely say that this is the first hotel I've ever stayed at where I had to get past a velvet rope just to get in the front door at midnight. If you're single, chalk up another big plus for onsite amenities.

Checkout and departure: Got the folio (all correct) under the door our last morning. Left around 2:45pm and walked to the stop for the 747 bus to the airport. (N.B. The walk up Cote du Beaver Hall toward Rene Levesque is quite steep for the first 2 blocks. I didn't mind a bit of exercise, but some people might not enjoy hauling a rollaboard up that hill.) The westbound bus stop is on the NE corner of Levesque/Beaver Hall, and clearly marked.

Overall: I can't add much to this assessment:
Originally Posted by SleepDoc
The service and friendliness at the hotel were excellent and we certainly didn’t sense any of the pretentiousness or “I’m better than you attitude” that some would describe as the W brand. We would certainly recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Montreal.

Last edited by beltway; Jul 27, 2011 at 8:02 am
Old Jul 26, 2011, 8:05 pm

Programs: UAL SPG Hyatt
Originally Posted by beltway
Checkin: She was extraordinarily patient with our rusty French, not to mention charming and (as even Mrs. B observed) drop-dead gorgeous.:
Originally Posted by beltway
I can safely say that this is the first hotel I've ever stayed at where I had to get past a velvet rope just to get in the front door at midnight. If you're single, chalk up another big plus for onsite amenities.:
Between the staff and the local scene there, sometimes I wonder why I ever gave up on my trips to Montreal! Glad to hear you had a good stay. This is by far one of my favorite hotels.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 12:25 pm

Just got back from a great weekend at the W.

Booked 4 rooms using C&P for three nights.

All 4 rooms pre-upgraded to fantastic suites a few days in advance...and all four upgrades were intact when I checked in. And my room was on the 9th floor (of ten floors) with a huge corner window overlooking the park. Looking at the building from the outside, this seems to be the only floor with that window.

Fantastic suites were oversized rooms with a huge couch in the sitting area (the couch was the size of a queen sized bed). Absolutely outstanding rooms. Great vibe, awesome shower, good sitting area. We were on a stag party and a couple rooms had two guys sharing the room...the turndown service was quite happy to turn the couch into a second bed complete with mattress pad and full bedding.

The service overall from the front desk was attentive, but at times it seemed inexperienced. The concierge was at times unhelpful as he pointed us in the direction of what we thought were tourist traps.

The bar on the mezzanine (not to be confused with the nightclub on the ground floor) had great cocktails, but poor service. They either gave us the wrong bill or lost the signed bill at least three times...also delivered the wrong food order.

4pm checkout for all four rooms no questions asked.

The location was great...there is nothing in the immediate couple blocks, but you're right in between st. catherine and old montreal. Was probably a 15-20 minute walk to either (in opposite directions).

Definitely plan on hitting montreal again, and the W is the place to stay.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 2:31 pm

Programs: Marriott + Hilton. Fly BA and AZ
Originally Posted by boolean64
Just got back from a great weekend at the W.

Booked 4 rooms using C&P for three nights.

All 4 rooms pre-upgraded to fantastic suites a few days in advance...and all four upgrades were intact when I checked in. And my room was on the 9th floor (of ten floors) with a huge corner window overlooking the park. Looking at the building from the outside, this seems to be the only floor with that window.

Fantastic suites were oversized rooms with a huge couch in the sitting area (the couch was the size of a queen sized bed). Absolutely outstanding rooms. Great vibe, awesome shower, good sitting area. We were on a stag party and a couple rooms had two guys sharing the room...the turndown service was quite happy to turn the couch into a second bed complete with mattress pad and full bedding.

The service overall from the front desk was attentive, but at times it seemed inexperienced. The concierge was at times unhelpful as he pointed us in the direction of what we thought were tourist traps.

The bar on the mezzanine (not to be confused with the nightclub on the ground floor) had great cocktails, but poor service. They either gave us the wrong bill or lost the signed bill at least three times...also delivered the wrong food order.

4pm checkout for all four rooms no questions asked.

The location was great...there is nothing in the immediate couple blocks, but you're right in between st. catherine and old montreal. Was probably a 15-20 minute walk to either (in opposite directions).

Definitely plan on hitting montreal again, and the W is the place to stay.
Was there too. Same type of room for 2 day stay

Agree with everything though I didn't use the mezzanine bar. Did use the gym - small but OK.

Thought minibar was a bit expensive and was made to pay for water (no free bottles)

Did enjoy it though and worth the cash^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.