Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton LaGuardia East (Flushing), NY [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton LaGuardia East (Flushing), NY [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2010, 4:50 pm

and now victim is brain dead

community leaders are forming citizen patrols in downtown Flushing after this incident.

http://www.qgazette.com/news/2010-05...BrainDead.html
Old May 20, 2010, 2:23 am

Programs: Mile-High Club, Marriott Plt, SPG P-75, PC Plt, Hyatt Dia, Carlson Gold, BW Dia
Originally Posted by money_opp
community leaders are forming citizen patrols in downtown Flushing after this incident.

http://www.qgazette.com/news/2010-05...BrainDead.html
The media never fails to misunderstand brain death and make erroneous reports. The girl is officially brain-dead. The assailant is therefore charged with murder, not merely attempted murder. She is also, by definition, not on "life support," as she is dead.
Old May 21, 2010, 4:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, DL Plat
That's really terrible. Was actually going to post that I just stayed there and thought the area seemed relatively ok. Guess not.
Old May 21, 2010, 6:14 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by rogerck
That's really terrible. Was actually going to post that I just stayed there and thought the area seemed relatively ok. Guess not.
Indeed this was a terrible occurrence, and like any large city, caution and awareness of surroundings should be exercised, but the area is fine. Things like this could happen anywhere. Do keep in mind even Mission Viejo, CA (safest city in the nation for a few years) had a hostage standoff and shooting at The Shops at Mission Viejo, a relatively upscale shopping mall, a year and a half ago.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 3:28 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Stayed here last week for one night on a C&P stay. On check-in I was told the hotel was running a promotion and giving Platinum members an additional 500 Starpoints per stay (in addition to whatever Platinum amenity you select). Seemed an odd "promo", being that I only learned of it after I checked in. Very nice gesture by the hotel, though. I didn't ask any details, so I'm not sure how long this promo is going on.

Stay was fine. I was upgraded to a club room (which I think was a regular room with a bottle of water).

The lounge had hot snacks in the evening, and fruit and pastries for breakfast. I didn't see any alcohol in the lounge. The coffee could have fueled the space shuttle though, so I limited myself to half a cup. When I went back to add more creamer the hostess smiled and asked me if it was too strong.

Very convenient to the subway, just exit the rear entrance of the hotel, turn left and the subway is on the corner. There were several restaurants in the area. Don't remember the name, but the Thai restaurant across the street and to the left (from the entrance) was very good.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 11:47 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Stayed here on C&P last night after Continental hung me and girlfriend out to dry.

I called Plat Concierge from LGA, he said, the hotel didn't have any special rates for distressed passangers (though really.... how "distressed" are FT'ers... ever!). He said what HE could do was to book me a C&P stay and credit 1000 points to offset, which I thought was very nice. He also called the hotel and requested the shuttle to the terminal which was there in 9 minutes. The driver was great, very nice, knew my name and what had happend (wow!). Check in was great, was also told that Plats get 500 points in addition to amenity (so to keep tabs, I'm only in for 1000 points and $60). I asked if they had suites available, the agent immediately said yes and handed keys and we were on our way.

This is a very Chinese themed hotel, which isn't surprising given that flushing is very heavily lived in by Chinese. It's a little odd, but it worked.

The suite was huge. Walkway into a little foyer area with hallway to bathroom/bedroom and connection to living room. Both bedroom and living room had 37" LCD TV's, there was a couch in the living room and two chairs and table in the bedroom. Lots of space everywhere. There was also a refrigerator in the room. The bathroom was a bit small but served its purpose.

We were both starving and didn't feel like leaving so we got room service. The menu is a little lacking in variety and size but I got a chicken caesar salad and she got a chicken wrap. Accompanied by a bottle of Pinot Grigio (well priced at only $30 bucks). Delivery time was fast by a gentleman that I can only describe as Ritz Level. He opened the wine, described it, set place settings, told us about the food that was brought up and was just very very good.

The club had a few small hot things, didn't really look that appetizing. The club itself is very very small and had kids in it the whole time. The food area is tiny and really awkwardly placed right by the door. The breakfast offerings were some fruit, pastries and cereal along with coffee and tea. The club was the only disappointing part of the hotel, but I even use that term lightly.

Overall, I now love this hotel for airport stays! I had previously been at the JFK Courtyard, JFK Sheraton, LGA Marriott and Courtyard and this is the winner.
Old Jan 17, 2011, 2:47 pm

Programs: UA 1.5K MM/SPG Plat/Various Random Golds lol
Here now, picked up by shuttle at LGA, great checkin, Plat suite upgrade. I think same suite style as described previous post, so I won't detail. Very clean, nice lobby to get some emails done. Not massive/cavernous lobby, I'd call it cozy but nice. So far excellent staff/service everywhere I turn.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 9:37 am

Programs: LAN, AA, SPG
OK for JFK flights?

I'm planning to stay here for a late night JFK arrival one day and an early morning JFK departure another. I am correct in assuming this hotel would be my best option as far as travel time by taxi? Or would I be better off at the Four Points Queensborough Bridge property? The Sheraton JFK is a big "NO way!"
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by phlashba
I'm planning to stay here for a late night JFK arrival one day and an early morning JFK departure another. I am correct in assuming this hotel would be my best option as far as travel time by taxi? Or would I be better off at the Four Points Queensborough Bridge property? The Sheraton JFK is a big "NO way!"
at max 20 minutes.. there's an expressway connecting JFK to Flushing Queens (Van Wyck).. hotel only a few blocks from Norther Blvd exit.

for Queensborough Bridge hotel traffic, one must endure the heavier traffic of Long Island Expressway. And there's not much to do in Queensborough compares to Flushing.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:04 am

at max 20 minutes.. there's an expressway connecting JFK to Flushing Queens (Van Wyck).. hotel only a few blocks from Norther Blvd exit.
Thanks. That's what I was planning.
Old Feb 17, 2012, 10:39 am

be sure to tell the taxi driver that you're going to Flushing Main Street area.. because the hotel name LaGuardia sometimes makes the driver think the hotel is around LGA airport.. and you don't want him to get lost...
Old Feb 17, 2012, 11:13 am

is there any public transportation option that takes you from this hotel to JFK?
Old Feb 17, 2012, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by anchor79
is there any public transportation option that takes you from this hotel to JFK?
probably cheaper and time saving taking a cab.

public transportation is not direct, involving transfer from AIRTRAIN at Jamaica station with local buses Q25/Q34 (another 45 minutes ride) or with subways (another 45 minutes involving 2 subway lines and running stairs on transfer). $5+$2.25 = $7.25 per person.

http://mta.info/busco/schedules/q025cur.pdf

Last edited by money_opp; Feb 17, 2012 at 2:33 pm
Old Feb 17, 2012, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another possibility is taking the hotel shuttle back to LGA and then take the inter-airport bus from there. Probably will take longer and a little more expensive but might be a little more private.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 10:43 pm

I was very happy that the hotel has upgraded my upcoming stay to an "Executive Suite" but then I read on the SPG web site a review that said all the suite bedrooms share a wall with the elevator shaft and worse, that the headboard of the bed is right against the wall of the shaft. Can anyone confirm if this is accurate or not? I am hoping that the reviewer was mistaken.

On another note I am extremely impressed with the communications from the hotel in advance of my stay. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.