Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Paris - Vendôme, France [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Paris - Vendôme, France [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2009, 1:46 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Originally Posted by Forstbetrieb
Yes I know, but I thought it would be easier if I send an email to the hotel directly, because sometimes changes a programm or something happens, like closing the lounge etc.

If I don't get an answer within another week, I will ask CCS.

Thanks William!
No worries. Just wanted you to be aware of alternative options.

Best regards,

William R. Sanders
Online Guest Feedback Coordinator
Starwood Hotels & Resorts Worldwide

[email protected]
Old Feb 19, 2009, 7:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP | DL SM | HH DM |*wood Gold
Just wanted to get an update on the in-room coffee situation at the Westin Paris. I saw one earlier post that a in-room coffee maker had to be requested. Has anything changed (improved)?

Also can anyone recommend some nearby (10-15 min walk) restaurants/brasseries/bistros?

Many Thanks

MO
Old Feb 21, 2009, 2:33 am

Programs: QF Plat LTG, UA2mm, Marriott LTP
I stayed here on a 5 night award in January. I had booked a junior suite, and at check-in asked for a Plat upgrade as (for once) I was travelling with my family. Sorry sir, no rooms available.

I have stayed here before, so the next day I talked to the customer services team who have a desk in the lobby. Once again Ms Rapanaki was very helpful and upgraded us to a two-room suite.

The lounge disappearance isn't great, but good treatment helps.
Old Mar 2, 2009, 10:41 pm

Programs: DJ, QF, SPG, Hilton
I just booked an award stay for an Exec room in June (@21500 points per night). It's a tad expensive for a King bed and a rollaway...! In the confirmation email is an offer to a Junior Suite for €110/night.

Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't consider it. However, I'm short on points and there're 3 of us (adults). Therefore, I'm wondering whether this upgrade is worth it for the extra space.

I booked this hotel mostly on its location, as this is my Dad's first time in Paris (and only my second). Is it possible to request a room with a view?

This thread suggests there isn't much more space in a Junior Suite vs an Exec room... I'm just a lowly gold, so I'm not expecting any upgrades at check-in.

P.S. There still seems to be smoking rooms at this property. The SPG reservation staff specifically asked whether I want a smoking or a non-smoking room. (We want non-smoking.)
Old Mar 26, 2009, 4:33 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I just checked my upcoming reservation and I see I have already been prebooked into a Jr Suite on a cash and points reservation.

Yeah!

FWIW, I liked this hotel even though they tried to convince us that a view room would be preferable to a suite. The location is great for shopping and some sight seeing.
Old Mar 26, 2009, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Leumas
I just booked an award stay for an Exec room in June (@21500 points per night). It's a tad expensive for a King bed and a rollaway...! In the confirmation email is an offer to a Junior Suite for €110/night.

Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't consider it. However, I'm short on points and there're 3 of us (adults). Therefore, I'm wondering whether this upgrade is worth it for the extra space.

I booked this hotel mostly on its location, as this is my Dad's first time in Paris (and only my second). Is it possible to request a room with a view?

This thread suggests there isn't much more space in a Junior Suite vs an Exec room... I'm just a lowly gold, so I'm not expecting any upgrades at check-in.
This hotel is perfect for doing cash & points, I would only do straight points if I'm staying for 5 nights with 5th night free. I've only stayed in a junior suite, so I can't comment on difference vs an Exec room. You may want to wait until you're at the hotel to see what the rooms look like and decide then if it's
worth the extra €110, bring the confirmation email with you.
Old Mar 27, 2009, 9:36 am

Programs: United 1K, Delta PM, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Gold, National Exec. Elite
I just stayed there for 3 nights last weekend. I did cash and points 8000 points for $150/night. I am SPG Gold, was platinum last year. Check-in was efficient, but they told me my room was 150 Euros per night. She straightened out the record for $150. I asked if the property had a lounge and was told it did not. We had to wait about 20 minutes for our luggage, which I didn't want them handling anyway because we wanted to shower and change.

The room was smallish (though not by European standards) with a king bed. Our view was of some inner roof-top facing other rooms. All in all non-spectacular but nothing really to complain about. The proximity to good shopping, the Louvre, and all the touristy stuff was worth the $150/night. The staff in the bar was very friendly and very efficient.

All in all I would say the hotel is worth cash and points for the proximity but I wouldn't pay full rate as the property, staff, and room just isn't worth it.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 6:47 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
Thumbs up Superior suite!

Just back from a 5 night stay in what the hotel lists as a "superior suite" (C&P + paid upgrade.)

Incredible room on 5th (top) floor on corner overlooking both the Louvre and the Eiffel tower - 4 balconies! Be sure to ask for room 5036.

As noted previously, the Westin Paris is in a perfect location for walking everywhere, even though the sights are really spread far apart.

Kudos to Ann Britt :-: and Conor Cushnahan at the hotel!!

Awesome way to use upgrades!
Old Apr 29, 2009, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA BA SW SPG
Originally Posted by Leumas
Cash and point is a better value IMO - 8,000 points and $150/night.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Wow StarFleet you scored!

I am just returning from a five night award stay...pure points, no cash. I requested a suite with a view of the Tower and was told (don't believe this for a second) that there are only four such rooms and they were all occupied.

I had room 5007, which is a jr suite with a courtyard view. Room was new and modern and made me walk by where I believe the lounge used to be every day...sad.

I checked in at the Starwood desk and dealt with a very nice lady who's name escapes me right now but it will come to me tonight when I am trying to sleep. I opted for the bottle of red wine to have something to sip in the evening and when she learned it was one of our b-days she said she'd give us the points and the wine. Haven't got the points but don't really care. She's the one that made the comment about only four rooms with the view I wanted above a standard room. Again, I don't buy that for a second.

One slippage for this hotel in my opinion: no more free coffee in the lobby. On my first two stays this was a nice perk. In its place there is now a small kiosk selling "coffee" and pastries. The coffee is one of those pod machines that you pop a plastic cannister into and a few minutes later you get your coffee product. For 5 euros I got the paper cup half filled with American coffee that was not that tasty...five euros is steep to me.

It's a nice hotel and Starwood has made it more and more of a conference hotel...that will happen with its affiliation I'm sure. The location is tough to beat indeed and the rooms are very comfortable. The staff is all very responsive and we'd return here again most likely.

I did take a walk through both the Hyatt and the Renaissance which are something like three blocks away from this hotel. I was tempted to try one of them out this time but hoped my status would fetch me one of those views. I'm now 1 for 3 in getting that view, however, with the first time being right after Starwood took it over.

Nice hotel.
Old Apr 29, 2009, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
When did the lounge disappeared?

I have always liked the Westin Paris (even have it on my SPG Platinum card) due to its fantastic location AND its great lounge.

I am planning a return trip soon, but I read through this thread that the lounge is no more WHEN did it go away?

What was the reasoning from the Westin Paris and from Starwood?

Looks like I will have to stay at the Hilton Arc de Triomphe now, for their lounge
Old Apr 30, 2009, 6:12 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by dingo
She's the one that made the comment about only four rooms with the view I wanted above a standard room. Again, I don't buy that for a second.

One slippage for this hotel in my opinion: no more free coffee in the lobby. On my first two stays this was a nice perk. In its place there is now a small kiosk selling "coffee" and pastries. The coffee is one of those pod machines that you pop a plastic cannister into and a few minutes later you get your coffee product. For 5 euros I got the paper cup half filled with American coffee that was not that tasty...five euros is steep to me.

Nice hotel.
dingo - we must have passed in the hall!

We knew ahead of time that there were only "3" jr. suites with a view, and just kept our fingers crossed. In fact one of the two view rooms we had opened up after 2 nights in a room with an OK view across the side street.

My study of the ubiquitous hotel floor plans in the hallways seems to bear out the paucity of this room type as stated by the wonderful guest relations staff.

I think we got the royal upgrade to the superior suite because it was my parents' 60th anniversary...

Re: the coffee -- agreed that the cart is substandard, but a full cup of fresh brewed can be had at the entry to the restaurant (for 4 Euros) or free in the lobby (with croissants!) prior to 7:AM...discovered by me as my reward for laggy time zone confusion.
Old Apr 30, 2009, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Originally Posted by STARFLEET
Re: the coffee -- agreed that the cart is substandard, but a full cup of fresh brewed can be had at the entry to the restaurant (for 4 Euros) or free in the lobby (with croissants!) prior to 7:AM...discovered by me as my reward for laggy time zone confusion.
Where did you find the free coffee? I was down around 6:00 one morning, walked the lobby and couldn't find a drop. I have to say, the free stuff they used to have in the lobby is better than what comes out of that machine.

I actually thought about muscling my way into the courtyard area where meetings were being held to score a cup...glad I didn't though.

If you were there the same time we were you had some incredible weather. Very beautiful flowers, no rain, all sunshine.
Old May 1, 2009, 6:03 am

Programs: QF Plat LTG, UA2mm, Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by sapguy
I have always liked the Westin Paris (even have it on my SPG Platinum card) due to its fantastic location AND its great lounge.

I am planning a return trip soon, but I read through this thread that the lounge is no more WHEN did it go away?

What was the reasoning from the Westin Paris and from Starwood?

Looks like I will have to stay at the Hilton Arc de Triomphe now, for their lounge
For a non-tourist, the Hilton Arc de Triomphe is excellent - I think better than the Westin Paris. Rooms are a wash, but Hilton lounge is great and the backstreet location is nicer.

For travellers new to Paris, then the location of the Westin Paris is tough to top for access to the main sights. But after a few visits, the access to crappy souvenirs, tourist restaurants and in a busy location isn't attractive. And the Westin Paris just isn't that good a hotel to tempt me back, especially now the lounge has disappeared.
Old May 1, 2009, 6:29 am
Original Poster

The Hilton ADT was the hotel I stayed at on my first trip to Paris five years ago. It was brand new and had some kinks that I imagine have been worked out (water not running, construction still going on).

When we left, we felt we didn't really know Paris due to the location of the hotel. To get anywhere, we hopped the metro and didn't do much walking. Staying at the Westin lets you walk, see, explore and soak in.

I don't know what changes the Hilton ADT has made to the lounge, but at that time it was amazing at all hours of the day. Free cocktails, a nice breakfast spread, good food. The Westin lounge was, in my two visits when it was open, never nearly as good.

So if a lounge is important and if the Hilton ADT hasn't made drastic changes certainly go that direction. If location is more important, the Westin wins hands down but not by much (if any at all) over the Ren and Hyatt. Rooms at the Westin and Hilton ADT are a wash as said above. There really is not much around the Hilton ADT including eating options...you have to walk quite a ways to get anything good from my experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.