Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Paris - Vendôme, France [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Paris - Vendôme, France [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2009, 5:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
Originally Posted by izzik
I'm starting to worry about my upcoming stay at the Westin Paris. Originally, I booked a Superior non-smoking King room with the Free Weekend nights promo.. now I log in and see that I've been "upgraded" to a Large City View, Smoking room... all this, despite having comments in the reservations specifying a non-smoking preference.

Will report back on how things go.

I'm not making light of your requirements, but I'd send the email and not refuse the suite. My guess is that you will either be given a non-smoking suite or be able to turn down the upgrade and get the room class you booked without problem once you arrive at the hotel. So please don't rub it in that you got an awesome upgrade when I've had such dismal luck there myself!
Old Aug 31, 2009, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
2nd time not the charm

I've previously complained loudly about this hotel and decided to give it a 2nd chance. My conclusion: 2nd time not the charm, it's not worth it.

SPG iPhone app made me think 2nd time would be the charm since it said "Jr. Suite" the day before my arrival.

Check-in: front desk sent me to the back where a sit-down check-in was done for SPG Gold & Platinum members. Very pleasant lady did the formalities. When she gave me the key, I asked if this was a good Jr. Suite. She said this wasn't a Jr. Suite and why I thought that (showed her iPhone and she became quiet). She did say I'd like the room and would call me in a few mins to see if I liked it.

Room 5035 was on the top floor, near the corner, with a window and little patio & 2 chairs with an amazing view:

Room size appx 15' x 15'. Bathroom was even bigger than the room. The charm stopped there.
  • TV was an old tube that you nearly hit when opening the door.
  • No bottle of water for SPG members.
  • No mouthwash/bath gel in the bathroom (just the regular white tea shampoo/lotion and 2 bars of leaf soap).
  • Desk lamp didn't work.
  • Floor lamp turned on for a few seconds as I jiggled the cord.
  • Razor/shave kit that was promised at check-in never came.
  • No turndown (I saw other rooms getting it as I went out for the evening)
  • Non-Heavenly shower leaked onto floor despite closing curtain all the way
  • No more lounge, no replacement amenities.

Bottom line: I worry what this property is doing to the Westin brand as I know many many come to Paris (and therefore this hotel) for special occasions and expect a 5-star stay, when in reality this is a 3 star hotel in a 5 star location.
Old Sep 1, 2009, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
That's a pretty sweet (no pun) view! Personally, I'd endure most of the bulleted items above for that view though the sum total of them would frustrate me.

I think your bottom line is what most of us have found to be true: decent hotel, great location. There are other hotels that can make that same claim from other chains (Hyatt and Marriott) right down the street. For me, the view is what I want. I want to see the gardens and tower. If I can't get that, why not stay at the Hyatt or Ren? If my status doesn't gain me anything, why not stay at a place where I have no status?

The private little check in desk is a nice tough I have to admit...but also a bit frustrating. It makes me know that they know I'm a plat, but that's where the VIP treatment ends for me.

You got a real nice view...too bad it sounds as if you got an old room that had yet to be remodeled. I'm surprised though as I thought they had finished up all the renovations on that side of the hotel.
Old Sep 2, 2009, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
SPG iPhone app made me think 2nd time would be the charm since it said "Jr. Suite" the day before my arrival.
Hoping I don't have a repeat of the rest of your stay, not off to a great start. My res (3 days starting this weekend) has been showing junior suite for a couple of days, but today switched to "deluxe room, 2 single beds, smoking"...as you might guess, Mrs. ST is not amused. We haven't slept in twin beds in 35 years.

I (think I) have sent an email to the GM asking for non-smoking rooms - not certain of her email address. Hotel appears to be booked up for the weekend, so upgrade prospects are dim, but I certainly hope to get at least a double bed and non-smoking rooms. Will let everyone know how it turns out (hey, izzik, any update on how are you doing with your stay?)
Old Sep 2, 2009, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by SportsTech
Hoping I don't have a repeat of the rest of your stay, not off to a great start. My res (3 days starting this weekend) has been showing junior suite for a couple of days, but today switched to "deluxe room, 2 single beds, smoking"...as you might guess, Mrs. ST is not amused. We haven't slept in twin beds in 35 years.

I (think I) have sent an email to the GM asking for non-smoking rooms - not certain of her email address. Hotel appears to be booked up for the weekend, so upgrade prospects are dim, but I certainly hope to get at least a double bed and non-smoking rooms. Will let everyone know how it turns out (hey, izzik, any update on how are you doing with your stay?)
Good luck! FWIW, when I checked out and told the agent of many of my woes, she said usually all the Plats & VIP's are usually put on the 4th floor where they have more "amenities" like water, turndown, etc. Not sure if anything coming from that property is to believed, but it's a datapoint.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Good luck! FWIW, when I checked out and told the agent of many of my woes, she said usually all the Plats & VIP's are usually put on the 4th floor where they have more "amenities" like water, turndown, etc. Not sure if anything coming from that property is to believed, but it's a datapoint.
My stay in April was on the 4th floor. I had turn down, but no water...at least in bottles...all taps worked!
Old Sep 3, 2009, 8:05 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by SportsTech

I followed Lurker II's advice and e-mailed the hotel for reconfirmation.
Someone (forgot her name) replied in a day and said that I was confirmed for a non-smoking room for date x to date y (this wknd as well). Looked on spg.com and saw the room type change to "junior suite, non-smoking". So.. a nice turn of events. ^

However, I'm not holding my breath until I check-in. As we know, things can change.
I've never had a stay (yet) where the hotel changed me to a different room type in advance (upgrades not included, obvi).

UPDATE: Looks like I spoke too soon. Room is now a "deluxe room, smoking". At least I have the email that says I am confirmed for a non-smoking room. Supposedly. I'll find out Saturday morning.

Last edited by izzik; Sep 3, 2009 at 9:00 pm
Old Sep 4, 2009, 12:41 pm

Location: (not Montana. Nor is my name really Helena, nor am I female)
Programs: Delta, USAirways, Starwood, Priority Club, Marriott, Amex

UPDATE: Looks like I spoke too soon. Room is now a "deluxe room, smoking". At least I have the email that says I am confirmed for a non-smoking room. Supposedly. I'll find out Saturday morning.
Let us know how it turns out (if you can afford the wifi, or can find it more reasonbly elsewhere in Paris). My wife and I will be behind you by 1 week. I think she'd kill me if we ended up in a smoking room.
Old Sep 5, 2009, 4:08 am

worried now

I'm starting to get a little worried about my upcoming stay now. On vacation and will be leaving London in a few hours for Paris. I've reserved 2 rooms for 2 nights and fortunately this will all be compliments of the Free Wknd Nights Promotion they had a couple months ago. I wish I was Platinum, but I've got 4 more stays (paid) to get there. I'm wondering if I should use points to upgrade rooms based on some of the feedback I've read. I'm crossing my fingers.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 3:07 am

Reporting live from Paris...

Well, I can honestly say that I'm content with the hotel. Rooms aren't tiny. Bathroom has marble. Location is amazing! But let me tell you, they try and squeeze every Euro they can out of you.

Tea and coffee aren't free! 14 Euros for that and they'll throw in a croissant. So what if you bring your own tea bag and want hot water you ask...wham, that's 4 Euros. Want wifi, oh that's just 39 Euros for the day. But if you just need it for 30 mins, it'll cost you a mere 15 Euros. Breakfast will cost you 28 or 38 depending on if you want Continental or American.

I'll probably still stay here when next in Paris and bring a kettle, some eggs and bacon, a portable kitchen perhaps and a satellite dish for wifi.
Old Sep 7, 2009, 4:03 am

Programs: Ex-NWA Plat
I've previously complained loudly about this hotel and decided to give it a 2nd chance. My conclusion: 2nd time not the charm, it's not worth it.

Check-in: front desk sent me to the back where a sit-down check-in was done for SPG Gold & Platinum members. Very pleasant lady did the formalities. When she gave me the key, I asked if this was a good Jr. Suite. She said this wasn't a Jr. Suite and why I thought that (showed her iPhone and she became quiet). She did say I'd like the room and would call me in a few mins to see if I liked it.

Room 5035 was on the top floor, near the corner, with a window and little patio & 2 chairs with an amazing view:

Room size appx 15' x 15'. Bathroom was even bigger than the room. The charm stopped there.
  • TV was an old tube that you nearly hit when opening the door.
  • No bottle of water for SPG members.
  • No mouthwash/bath gel in the bathroom (just the regular white tea shampoo/lotion and 2 bars of leaf soap).
  • Desk lamp didn't work.
  • Floor lamp turned on for a few seconds as I jiggled the cord.
  • Razor/shave kit that was promised at check-in never came.
  • No turndown (I saw other rooms getting it as I went out for the evening)
  • Non-Heavenly shower leaked onto floor despite closing curtain all the way
  • No more lounge, no replacement amenities.

Bottom line: I worry what this property is doing to the Westin brand as I know many many come to Paris (and therefore this hotel) for special occasions and expect a 5-star stay, when in reality this is a 3 star hotel in a 5 star location.
I got 1035 assigned on a recent stay (SPG Gold) and it was a newly refurbished room. Beautiful inside. Had none of the problems you suggest. But at least I can vouch for the size of the room - I assume yours was identical in layout.

The biggest downside was that it was at least a 2 minute walk from the elevator to the room!
Old Sep 7, 2009, 1:17 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Just came back from a 2-night stay at the Westin Paris using the Free Wknd Nights promo.

(+ Positives, - Negatives)
Overall: Good stay
+ I was allowed an early check-in (11:45am).
+ Room type: I asked about room type and they said, "Superior king non-smoking". ^
+ Excellent hotel location.
+ Mini-fridge had a small space for personal items.
+ Bed was firm, comfortable. Bathroom/shower was great.

- Walls and ceiling are thin.
- Pillows are hit or miss. I think they are best for back-sleepers.

Hotel explained that they were overbooked, thus no Plat upgrade. I had my nonsmoking room.. that's all I expected, really.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by mrboombasteke

I'll probably still stay here when next in Paris and bring a kettle, some eggs and bacon, a portable kitchen perhaps and a satellite dish for wifi.
made me laugh!
Old Sep 8, 2009, 12:15 pm

Hotel explained that they were overbooked, thus no Plat upgrade. I had my nonsmoking room.. that's all I expected, really.
I'm encouraged so far by the fact that, at least as of today, all the room types we'd like to be upgraded to are still available for booking for all three days this weekend: Eiffel Tower View rooms, junior suites, and full suites.

Could it be the US labor day holiday that caused them to be overbooked during this past weekend? That would seem strange to me.
Old Sep 8, 2009, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Helena Handbaskets
I'm encouraged so far by the fact that, at least as of today, all the room types we'd like to be upgraded to are still available for booking for all three days this weekend: Eiffel Tower View rooms, junior suites, and full suites.

Could it be the US labor day holiday that caused them to be overbooked during this past weekend? That would seem strange to me.
Satellite Business conference was held there Monday and Tuesday, plus some BIG weddings over the weekend, hotel was completely booked. I feel almost the same as izzik with this exception: this hotel doesn't go out of its way for its customers in any way, and I've rarely seen a Starwood hotel with a staff that was this disinterested in its customers. More later - I was thoroughly underwhelmed by this hotel on this visit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.