Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Nagoya Marriott Associa Hotel, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nagoya Marriott Associa Hotel, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2006, 10:56 am

Talking

Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE
From Nagoya you will depart and arrive on track 11. The fastest trip takes a little more than 2 hours each way. The town is up in the mountains and it has been said lost in time. I think not. The town has been turned into a commercial enterprise much like my native Sacramento has its own Old Sacramento. It is well worth the trip as a day trip from Nagoya and Kyoto. A day trip from Osaka or Tokyo would be pushing it. Trust me. I am now in Hakata and it has been a long day.

If you have a JR pass the fare is included. I have a Green Car pass. The train up was 2 by 1 and back down 2 by 2. The 2 by 1 is much better. The trains are made for views with huge windows. My real treat actually came on the train with a brief look at the Japan Alps. Beautiful. You can not see on the ground in Takayama.

The town as stated in made for tourists. That being said when you leave the station and there is only one exit head towards the information booth. Ask for a brouchure in English. They were not on the counter. This excellent color brouchure (brought one back for your SanDiego1k) will be your guide. That further being said I did not have enough time. It was clear this should have been a one night trip in Takayama. I did see a building with a Best Western sign. It is only a one night trip. You will see the historic old town, period houses, Hida village, morning markets, temples, museums and floats. Note only a one night trip.

I always thought it interesting Japan resisted CA rice which tastes much better. The Japanese govt must provide a subsidy because it seems every family has a rice field. On the way to Takayama you will see this. When you leave and enter Nagoya you will be seated backwards. Rest assured the Japanese have taken care of this. All will be resolved in Gifu.

I was not able to find weather info on yahoo for Takayama. As it is in the mountains it could be cold. Dress properly and be ready. That being said again I overpacked as many others did also. There are lockers at Takayama Station. I also got my ticket to return for later and moved forward. This would be advised as it was to me. The later trains fill fast as everyone tries to leave at the late afternoon. Since you will probably have a pass get both you tickets for each way. Well that is it for Takayama. A place for me to return. Regards
Glad you enjoyed the Takayama. You are indeed correct: this is a town that deserves more than a half day because of its many sights. When we were there, we spent lots of time at the Float Museum, a morning at the Hida Folk Village, a couple of hours at the Laacquerware museum, drank too much at one of the sake factories in the old town, and enjoyed Hida beef. Based on your earlier post, I looked up the Best Western Hotel, but couldn't find it on their web site. You probably are correct in that it has changed ownership, even though Frommer still has it listed in his book as being 1 minute from the train station.

We spent 2 days there, coming from Nagoya on the first train in the AM. I've posted that we had enjoyed the Marriott immensely, as our trip last year was the second time we stayed at this fine hotel.
Old Dec 15, 2006, 4:50 pm
Community Director Emerita

Does anyone have experience staying at this hotel who has platinum status? If so, does the hotel have an executive lounge? How was your room upgrade?
Old Dec 26, 2006, 2:07 am

Programs: NH-PLT/SFC, JL-JMG/JGP, SPG-PLT, HH-DIA, GP-DIA,PC/IC-P/RA,MR-GLD
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Awesome report. The ride itself sounds like reason enough to go. I've just returned to California from Japan; you're giving me fodder for a future trip.

I am staying now.

This hotel has three floors that are the city view (20-34th floor), the sky view (38-46) ,and the concierge floor (35,37,47,48,49) that offers the breakfast and free drink at the concierge lounge on the 36th floor.

I booked a standard double room by single rate (17,000JPY) from HP. I am a MR-Silver member but MR hotels in Asia and Pacific offer the room upgrade and free access to the fitness for the ANA(NH) Dia, Plt and SFC members, so I could get a DX twin room (38m2) on the 33th floor.
Old Dec 26, 2006, 1:40 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Good info for my 2007 vacation

Originally Posted by yasuki
I am staying now.

This hotel has three floors that are the city view (20-34th floor), the sky view (38-46) ,and the concierge floor (35,37,47,48,49) that offers the breakfast and free drink at the concierge lounge on the 36th floor.

I booked a standard double room by single rate (17,000JPY) from HP. I am a MR-Silver member but MR hotels in Asia and Pacific offer the room upgrade and free access to the fitness for the ANA(NH) Dia, Plt and SFC members, so I could get a DX twin room (38m2) on the 33th floor.
Just saw this thread by accident. Great report and good info that helps me in planning my next vacation to Japan.
Old Feb 4, 2007, 4:36 pm

Originally Posted by yasuki
I am staying now.

Thanks to Yasuki's help evaluating the Hilton vs the Marriott (both chains where I have top status), I settled on the Marriott. Convenience to the train station was the driver.

At Nagoya Airport, follow the clear signage to the train station. There, you will find excellent signage giving the fare for Nagoya: 810 yen. You need cash to buy your ticket. You get a little magnetic card that you use to go thru the gate.

The first couple train cars have reserved seating. Go beyond them to a car that says unreserved seating. The train makes several stops enroute to Nagoya, and will fill up enroute. It takes about 35 minutes.

When you get out at Nagoya Station (the terminus of the line), follow the signs to West Gate. When you are outside, look across the street and up. There is the Marriott.

Walk into the hotel, and take the elevator to the 15th floor. That's where check in is. We were given a spacious room on the 47th floor, with Executive Lounge access. There is a sign in the Executive Lounge that golds and platinums get access, along with those who have paid for Executive Lounge access.

Our room is considerably more spacious than that reported by rtwstaralliance. In looking on the floor map, there is a considerable range in room size, including rooms much larger than ours. We have a nice view over the city, 2 arm chairs, desk, dresser, dressing table, and king size bed. The bathroom has a separate shower from the tub.

Executive Lounge
The lounge is open from 6am to midnight. Reception is staffed from 7am to 10pm.

6am-7am Continental breakfast
7am-10am American breakfast

5:30pm-midnight cocktail time with a modest assortment of appetizers

A 3pm checkout is offered if available.

Takayama
For those without rail cards, here are the fares to Takayama:
3000 yen one way - slow train, takes about 4 hours
+2500 yen one way - rapid train, takes about 2 hours

From Nagoya Station, take 20 minute ride to Gifu, then change to train to Takayama.

Tours
Tuesday - all day tour of Toyota Motor Plant - 8900 yen
Wed, Thusm, Sat - Nagoya 1 day - includes Atsuta Shrine, Noritake Garden, Toyota Museum of Industry and Technology, and Nagoya Castle - 12,000 yen

We have United's "3 Perfect Days in Nagoya" and shall sightsee independently.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 2:40 am

We set off by train to Inuyama (510 yen for a half hour trip), intending to go to Meiji-Mura. The hotel concierge called the tourist office and was assured they were open. We arrived by train, and went to board bus #2 for the 20 minute ride (410 yen). The bus driver looked at our Caucasian faces and wouldn't take our money, telling us that the attraction was closed on Mondays.

Instead, we took a taxi (710 yen) to Inuyama Castle. This was a great visit. It is the oldest castle in existence in Japan. We were offered an English speaking guide free, which was great, as only some of the signs are bilingual. It was fascinating to see how the castle was fortified, and the very steep stairways inside which were part of the safety measures.

The same ticket gave us entry to 2 musuems, a short walk away. One showed marionettes and the other the marionette wagons. There is a festival the first weekend in April when about 12 marionette wagons are brought out for a parade and performance.

Back at the hotel, we learned why the Executive Lounge is so busy. Boeing is working on the Dreamliner in Nagoya, and is bringing in a lot of engineers from around the world to held speed the process.

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Mar 3, 2007 at 10:09 pm
Old Feb 5, 2007, 7:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Thank you for the excellent information. I never thought of the Toyota Motor Plant tour. Something new of Nagoya. FYI. Lots of stuff in Japan are closed on Mondays. And. How was the UA ride?
Old Feb 5, 2007, 1:59 pm

UA was fine. Don't expect an upgrade flying on Saturday. They carry a lot of corporate folks, who want to arrive in Japan Sunday night to begin the work week on Monday.
Old Feb 5, 2007, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS/4 MM, AA Exec Plat, Lifetime Hilton D, Hyatt G, Marriott Titanium earned Ambassador
Got it!
Old Jun 20, 2007, 12:32 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, NWA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 Gold 5*
Nagoya Marriott Associa

Its been reported in another thread that booking direct through the Associa site (http://www.associa.com/english/nth/) may yeild better rates than booking through marriott.com.

If booked direct through the Associa site would I be recognized as Marriott PE and receive the benefits?
Old Jun 20, 2007, 1:18 pm

Programs: MR LTT, BA Gold, AA LTP, UA Silver
Don't believe what you read without first doing your own due diligence...

You will not recieve points at the Hotel Associa Nagoya Terminal since it is not the same hotel as the Nagoya Marriott Associa Hotel, nor is it associated with Marriott for that matter.

None of the Marriott Restaurants show up on the Associa link you provided.

At the link you provided it listed the Hotel Associa Nagoya Terminal as having 259 rooms; whereas the Nagoya Marriott Associa Hotel has 774 rooms. Also pictures of the Hotel Associa Nagoya Terminal rooms found at this link are nowhere near as nice as those of the Nagoya Marriott Associa Hotel rooms found at this link.

You will probably save some money, but you get what you pay for.

OK, it looks like there is also a link to the Nagoya Marriott Associa Hotel at the bottom of the associa.com web page, but once you are directed to the Nagoya Marriott Associa Hotel page of the associa.com web site then when you click on the Reservations link it takes you to marriott.com to make your reservation. So just one big circle back to marriott.com and I would guess the same prices as if you had started there yourself since no codes are preloaded in the corporate/promotional code field.

Last edited by aaupgrade; Jun 20, 2007 at 2:06 pm Reason: Added more info on Nagoya Marriott Associa Hotel resrevations via associa.com link
Old Jun 29, 2007, 7:31 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
FWIW, this is an outstanding Marriott property. My wife and I had a thoroughly wonderful stay there a few years ago and will gladly choose it again in the future.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 12:28 am

I'm not sure I'd call this hotel 'outstanding'. It's a standard-issue, convention-style Marriott, done in a European, not Asian style. The beds are not the nice, plushy ones found in the US, but are rather low, with thin mattresses, and limited bedding. The rooms are small, big enough for two but no more. The breakfast and evening snacks in the concierge lounge are not up to the standards of most Marriotts in the US, and a far cry from other non-US Marriotts, such as Singapore. Finding a staff member who speaks fluent English is hit or miss, although they are unfailingly polite of course. The bars and tea lounge can be smoky, but hey, this is Japan, not the US.

There are a few good things which stood out for me: The location is superb. The high-def TV is great. The health club is quite nice and the shiatsu massage in the spa is unbelievable, the best massage I have ever had in Japan. Lastly, skip the dreary breakfast buffet in the concierge lounge and head for the Ka-Un restaurant for their wonderful Japanese breakfast.
Old Jul 24, 2007, 6:16 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Boy, it must have gone downhill a lot since I stayed there a few years ago. We thought the beds were great and the CL was superior to anything we'd ever seen in the US at any Marriott. My room was large, even by western standards, and every associate I dealt with was most definitely fluent in English (to the point where we thought they must have sent them all to work in U.S. hotels because they were even fluent in slang, contractions, etc.).
Old Jul 24, 2007, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
I stayed there last year and agree it is not outstanding. It is a good solid hotel with great location at the railway station.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.