Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Nagoya Marriott Associa Hotel, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nagoya Marriott Associa Hotel, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2007, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by schriste
I stayed there last year and agree it is not outstanding. It is a good solid hotel with great location at the railway station.
Care to mention how they treat plats. Did you get upgraded and how about the club lounge, the gym and WiFi?
Old Jul 27, 2007, 7:37 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by allset2travel
Care to mention how they treat plats. Did you get upgraded and how about the club lounge, the gym and WiFi?
The hotel is sort of cylindrical, but there is a flat portion that sticks out. I was put in a strangely shaped room in this section about a 1/3 of the way from the top. The bathroom was quite small and not very impressive. Some might like the strange shape, I did not. On the plus side it did have a lot of windows. I was not upgraded to the Concierge floor as they were full. So if I did get an upgrade… it was just to a higher floor.

I was on holiday and do not travel with anything that even remotely reminds me of work, so I do not know about the WiFi. There was a very nice pool which I took a swim in. The concierge lounge was OK, but for the life of me I can’t recall that much about it. I took the 500 points for the Platinum amenity.
Old Jul 30, 2007, 2:47 pm

Appreciate your update.
Old Nov 15, 2007, 7:57 pm

Programs: Platinum: Delta, Starwood, Priority Club. Hyatt-Diamond, TA
I am definitely a breakfast person! I will be staying at this property next week (non-elite) and would appreciate any suggestions for a good American type breakfast either in the hotel, the twin towers or sub basement levels.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 12:29 pm

The breakfast in the CL is not bad, plenty of things to eat, including hot dishes like eggs and meats. I did not have the western breakfast in the restaurant, but loved the Japanese breakfast in the Japanese restaurant.

I just came back from my second trip to Nagoya and the Marriott this year. Same as previous, except this time there were two of us, and we had a double room in the non-curved part of the hotel, which is a little bigger, with bigger windows.

If you're a big train fan, ask for a room overlooking Nagoya Station. I loved sitting in the window seat, drinking tea, and watching the Shinkansen glide in and out of the station like long, white snakes.
Old Nov 16, 2007, 3:39 pm

sfpaul900,
Which floor were you on to be able to see the trains gliding in/out of the station? We will be there for New Year.
Which floor is best for plats? Thanks
Old Jan 11, 2008, 1:42 pm

An oversized mini report – Nagoya Marriott Associa Hotel

Read a lot of good reviews about this property but have never stayed here before. Most of the reviews focused on its physical attributes (building, location, convenience to shopping & restaurants, being on top of transport hub etc….). In addition, I would like to check out it’s inside attributes in services, facilities and value.

My wife and I stayed here for 2 years (technically yes, coz we checked in Dec 31; checked out Jan 2). Knowing ahead of time that we would not do too much sight seeing. Instead we would relax and check out the restaurants and shopping within the 2 towering buildings that is in fact part of the train station complex.

We took the Shinkansen from Osaka (the city) to Nagoya early morning of 12/31. Total journey time by the Nozomi from Shin-Osaka Station to Nagoya Station was 53 minutes, with one brief stop at Kyoto. From the platform of the Shinkansen to the hotel lobby is not as dramatic as some of the posts I read elsewhere on the web suggested. Simple, take 2 flights of escalator down to the main hall. Marriott sign shows up on the left corridor which is lined with shops. A 2-minute walk later, you see the elevator that will bring you up to the hotel lobby floor (15th F). Got off the elevator and headed toward a very large lobby with check-in counters on the left. Greeted by a young lady who proceeded to handle our luggage. Another young lady approached me, smiling and said it is too early to check in (it was few minutes after 11AM). I politely bent my head and said good morning in Japanese (the only phrase that I know), and handed her my MR plat card. She immediately acknowledged and said, “Ah, so sorry… please this way…” and ushered me toward an agent at the end of the counter. No more than 2 minutes later, the young lady with our luggage and us were on our way up to our room on the 45th floor.

So check-in was quick and sweet. No problem despite being early. They put us in a nice corner room. At check-in, I ordered fresh fruits and sakae as “welcome gift” instead of 500 points.

I surveyed the room briefly while the young lady with luggage was still with us. My wife and I were both happy with the room. In the US, I would have handed her $10. But in Japan, you do no such thing. So we thanked her as she left.

About 10 minutes later, the “welcome gift” of fresh fruits and sakae came. Another young lady rolled it in the room on a room-service table. ( 9 kinds of fruits on each plate; 2 plates). Yum! Left the sakae for tonight, New Year Eve.

I think the hotel occupies floors from 15th through 52nd. Convention center floors are 16, and 17. Some restaurants on the 18th F. On the top, the Sky Lounge Zenith and a French restaurant. If I have 5 days, I wouldn’t have sufficient time to check out everything about this place. It is huge. Not belong to the hotel are 2 floors (12 and 13) of restaurants. If you don’t find anything here to eat, you should be on diet. We loved the restaurants being so close by.

Our room is big by US standard. Being in a corner, it has windows to the south-east and south-west. Having a panoramic view from this high is awesome, despite the fact that Nagoya’s skyline is only so-so (particularly compared to Hong Kong where we were prior). What is interesting to me is seeing part of the train station and all the tracks. Every few minutes, you see a Shinkansen or a train (or both) gliding by the station.
Inside the room, everything is up to the best of Marriott’s standard. Bathroom is adequate in size (have seen bigger ones), but has plenty of amenities. The wired internet access is FREE.

There is a large observation deck just outside of the Lobby. 2 banks of express elevators serving it alone. From the deck, you see the Nagoya Castle in a distance. Quite amazing! Unique with this hotel.

The fitness club (gym, indoor pool, hot-tube, sauna, shower and locker) was free to elites. Otherwise, the charges is Y3,150 per day. It is a very stylish place with a sitting room adjacent to the receptionist’s counter. To get to the club (on 18th F) you have to take a specially designated elevator from the 15th F. A trainer was on duty when I visited. The gym itself though small, has all the essential equipment on hand. The pool is a lap pool, large. Everything is spotless.

The Executive Lounge is on the 36th F. Physically very large and along the curved side of the tower, but with tables spaced far apart. So no one feels cramped. The reception area is staffed with 3 to 4 people at all times. They handle many things including check-out (I used them for check-out). About 4 to 6 additional staffs handling food and drinks during peak hours. The place is very efficient. On New Year morning, breakfast was overflowing with guests. We were asked to leave name and room # so that they can call us in about 15 minutes. We went down to the observation deck and of course missed their call. We got back in about 15 to 20 minutes later, and we were seated with no problem. They like to serve you the drinks, so you place the order. Later they may or may not catch your need for refill. But the service is quick, polite and typical Japanese. Many staff with good command of English, particularly the young ladies. Food and drinks are good; food counters are clean. With a small round table by the window, you enjoy the view of Nagoya Castle while sipping latte. This goes down as one of my favorite lounges.

As far as service, you don’t know how good or bad until you have a need. Simply by mentioning to a lounge staff that we were to go out and see the city a bit. She immediately suggested a few sights (which I was aware of) and to purchase a Nagoya day-pass. She wrote down day pass in Japanese and gave direction to the subway.

I am sure I will re-visit this property again. It has everything that I look for in a hotel of this category, and I think it offers good value. Sorry for blowing up this supposedly a mini-report. Here are a few linked photos for your reference:

View from Executive Lounge
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...ofoto/4579.jpg

Views from room
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...ofoto/4616.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...ofoto/4535.jpg

http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...o/DSCN4594.jpg

View from Observation Deck on Lobby Floor (15th F)
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...ofoto/4564.jpg

A New Year greeting card from the GM
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...ofoto/4554.jpg

Elite welcome gift
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...oto/4549-1.jpg

Bath amenities
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...ofoto/4545.jpg
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...ofoto/4546.jpg

Desk
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...ofoto/4533.jpg

Corner chair
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...ofoto/4530.jpg

King bed
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...ofoto/4527.jpg

Wet bar
http://i255.photobucket.com/albums/h...ofoto/4525.jpg
Old Jan 11, 2008, 2:15 pm

An email to boot

Just recieved this email from the hotel:

Dear Mr. Allset2travel,

Greeting from Nagoya.
Thank you for choosing Nagoya Marriott Associa Hotel.
How was your stay with us? I hope you had a wonderful time with us.
I will be happy to extend your warm comment out General Manager
regarding Ms.Mizukosi, our finest Concierge Manager as well as all associates
in Concierge Lounge.
Once again thank you very much.
We are looking forward to serving you soon.

Best Regards,

1/11/2008

Tadafumi Koyamate
Director of Front Reception & Concierge
Old Jan 11, 2008, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Five Star
Great Post and Pictures

Thank you so much for posting this trip report! My wife and I will be spending a week in Japan in April and will be using the Nagoya Marriott as our "home base". I may send you a PM or 2 in the months to come with some inside knowledge questions, if you don't mind!
Old Jan 11, 2008, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by c699534
Thank you so much for posting this trip report! My wife and I will be spending a week in Japan in April and will be using the Nagoya Marriott as our "home base". I may send you a PM or 2 in the months to come with some inside knowledge questions, if you don't mind!
You are welcome. By all means, PM me anytime.
Hope your trip hits the height of the sakura season!
Contrary to common wisdom, I believe that Both Nagoya and Osaka are excellent bases. Day rips by train is easy and fun. You can find better hotels at cheaper prices in these 2 cities. In Kyoto, the reverse is true.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 11:31 am

More recent update - Marriott Nagoya

For a more recent update of this property, go to:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...ghlight=nagoya
Old Feb 26, 2008, 4:58 pm

Programs: CO Platinum, NWA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 Gold 5*
Just about ready to check out. Arrived last night at about 8:45 PM and took less than 2 minutes to check in. They had all my personal information from my previous visits.

Concierge Lounge is on 36th floor and is open until 10:00 PM on weekdays. Not sure on weekends since it isn't posted. Free drinks & snacks. I had fish sticks & carrots, but much more available. Last call at 9:45.

Train ride from NGO to here was about 35 minutes with 7 stops between. Reserved seat cost Y1,200. Must have cash only to purchase. Just after immigration I found 3 ATMs. 2 wouldn't accept my US issued card, but the third did.
Old Feb 26, 2008, 6:32 pm

NWA,
Glad to hear that you made it there. How was your room and your overall experience at MR Nagoya Associa?
Old Feb 26, 2008, 9:24 pm

Programs: Delta - PM; Marriott - Gold; Hilton - Silver
Stayed there a number of times between 2005-2006. Always had a great time in Nagoya. I always used the Concierge Lounge to check-in and check-out. They would also get my Shinkansen tickets to Hiroshima for me so all I had to do was pick them up at the Lounge desk. The staff there is excellent. Given another opportunity I will stay there again.
Old Feb 27, 2008, 12:50 am

Programs: CO Platinum, NWA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 Gold 5*
My stay this week was probably the 6th or 7th time I've stayed there. Been coming to Nagoya for 10 years. I remember watching them build the hotel while I was staying in either the Hilton or Nagoya Tokyu.

My room 4602 was very nice. Not large, but not too small. One thing I really miss is the soap. Not sure how to describe it, but they used to have really soft, smooth bars of soap. Now they use the Marriott "Aromatherapy" soap that I don't care for. Wired internet in rooms is free, however no wireless in CL. I wouldn't consider staying anywhere else in Nagoya if the Marriott is available. The location is unbeatable. I don't know why they can't command higher rates. I paid Y18,000 tax included.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.