Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Nagoya Marriott Associa Hotel, Japan [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nagoya Marriott Associa Hotel, Japan [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2008, 7:44 am

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Big with great location, but otherwise not memorable

Glad you made it and enjoyed your stay. I answered one of your questions in the “old” thread about this hotel. I’m still not all that impressed with the hotel other than the great location. But I’m probably a bit biased now that I have stayed at some of the newer hotels in Japan like the Conrad Tokyo and the Hyatt Hakone.

Last edited by schriste; Feb 27, 2008 at 8:44 am
Old Mar 19, 2008, 6:20 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Premier, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by allset2travel
You are welcome. By all means, PM me anytime.
Hope your trip hits the height of the sakura season!
Contrary to common wisdom, I believe that Both Nagoya and Osaka are excellent bases. Day rips by train is easy and fun. You can find better hotels at cheaper prices in these 2 cities. In Kyoto, the reverse is true.
you have PM...thanks in advance.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 10:26 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by c699534
you have PM...thanks in advance.
I PM'd you back.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 1:45 pm

2 weeks out from my Nagoya trip!

Thanks again for this thread.

I hope I'm not burdening the forum with these questions, but the more knowledge I can gain prior to traveling, the more enjoyable the trip will be for the Missus and I!

(1) Is it easy to get to the hotel from NGO? I believe there is a Meitetsu (sp?) express train that goes from the airport, but I can't tell if it stops there at the hotel (Nagoya Station) or not. Is it easier to take a bus?

(2) We'll be using a JR Rail Pass. Can the Concierge staff acquire our train reservations for us? How far in advance?

(3) Any recommendations for food and drink in Nagoya or Kyoto? We like all kinds of food, sushi and sashimi included, so our options (and minds) are fairly open in that regard.

(4) From collective experiences, are Platinum Elites treated well here, award stays included?

Thanks again.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 4:28 am

Programs: CO Platinum, NWA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 Gold 5*
Its fairly easy to get from the hotel to NGO. You have to exit the building the hotel is in and cross a small street to get to the building where the Meitetsu line runs. You can buy your ticket from a machine (they have English options). Reserved tickets are Y1,200. I think non-reserved are about Y800. Its a busy station with trains coming and going every 2 or 3 minutes on several platforms. The trains have doors that open on both sides so you can get on/off each from 2 platforms. Just make sure you get on one that is going to the airport. They have lighted signs above the platforms indicating where the next arriving train is going. I think green is to the airport. The train takes between about 25-35 minutes, depending on how many stops it makes on the way.

I have not taken the bus since the new airport opened. The bus to the old airport was very easy. You could get on/off either behind the hotel (on the street you need to cross to get to the Meitetsu line) or in front of the hotel near the Shinkansen tracks. Again, you buy your ticket from a machine.

I've been coming to this hotel since it opened and I was only Silver Elite. I get the same great treatment now that I am Platinum, but have access to the CL. Always been paid stays of 1-2 nights.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 4:10 pm

Appreciate the train info, NWA. Do you (or anyone else) remember how early the trains start running to the airport in the AM, or are they 24/7? We've got an early flight out the day we depart for home and wanted to make sure we didn't have to arrange alternate transportation.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by c699534

(2) We'll be using a JR Rail Pass. Can the Concierge staff acquire our train reservations for us? How far in advance?

(3) Any recommendations for food and drink in Nagoya or Kyoto? We like all kinds of food, sushi and sashimi included, so our options (and minds) are fairly open in that regard.

(4) From collective experiences, are Platinum Elites treated well here, award stays included?

Thanks again.
I will try to answer those that I can and leave the rest to others.
Re reservations for JR pass, do check with the staff in the Concierge Lounge. They have been very helpful in many ways. Besides, the JR station is in the same complex as the hotel, you don't have to go far to get it done in person.

As far as food, I tried out 2 restaurants on the 12th and 13th floors. They were very good. I enjoy shashimi and other exotic Japanese food. On these 2 floors, you should fine plenty of food choices. Best way to get there fro0m hotel is by taking the "express" elevators on the "observation deck", 15th floor, same as the hotel lobby. Other possibility is go over to the nearby department store (forgot name) and head for the food court and restaurant floor. Did not eat there, so no impression. But if it was like other Japanese departos, then their food would meet standard.

They do treat elites here very well. Since it is a huge hotel, it should have plenty of very high floor rooms available.

Oh, by the way, you should post similar questions in the Japan Forum to get more feedback. Particularly those non-related to the Marriott but about Japan in general.

For info re trains, I am sure you have been to:
http://www.japanrail.com/JR_hyperdia.html
Old Jan 4, 2009, 8:33 am

This may be a strange question, but does the room interior still looks the same as the photos posted by the OP?
It looks almost identical to another Marriott I recently stayed at, and as someone who likes a bit of variety, I'm hope it would have changed by now.

Could someone who stayed there more recently confirm?
Old Jan 7, 2009, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Originally Posted by AusEuroFlyer
This may be a strange question, but does the room interior still looks the same as the photos posted by the OP?
It looks almost identical to another Marriott I recently stayed at, and as someone who likes a bit of variety, I'm hope it would have changed by now.

Could someone who stayed there more recently confirm?
I checked out Tuesday. We had 2 twins (rather than a king) and room was not a corner, but yes, OP photos look very similar to our room on the 34th floor. Wet bar was identical but chair color was different, I believe.

I was not as thrilled as the OP with this property. Stayed one night at Marriott after 2 nights at Nagoya Hilton. I found the Hilton had a more Japanese feel although the furnishings were a bit run down. Hilton executive lounge very small but it never felt crowded. Hilton allowed breakfast in either the restaurant or the lounge (we tried each once) and most people probably used the restaurant thus lounge not crowded. Hilton nightly buffet small but much better quality, presentation of food than Marriott. Marriott had newer, classier decor but I will probably return to the Hilton rather than the Marriott on my next trip. I am tiring of the Marriott's pedestrian ways. Not sure if I'll keep my Marriott Platinum status--may move more nights to Hilton as I find their oversees executive lounges far superior to Marriott's.
Old Jan 7, 2009, 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by fmkgb

I was not as thrilled as the OP with this property. Stayed one night at Marriott after 2 nights at Nagoya Hilton. I found the Hilton had a more Japanese feel although the furnishings were a bit run down. Hilton executive lounge very small but it never felt crowded. Hilton allowed breakfast in either the restaurant or the lounge (we tried each once) and most people probably used the restaurant thus lounge not crowded. Hilton nightly buffet small but much better quality, presentation of food than Marriott. Marriott had newer, classier decor but I will probably return to the Hilton rather than the Marriott on my next trip. I am tiring of the Marriott's pedestrian ways. Not sure if I'll keep my Marriott Platinum status--may move more nights to Hilton as I find their oversees executive lounges far superior to Marriott's.
You are right about the cross town Hilton re the lounge/restaurant for breakfast option. For me, I like the MR CL for its great view. I think the MR staff in the CL is exceptional and personal. The overall facilities of MR is a notch above the Hilton. Lastly, the convenience of being right at the train station is unbeatable.
I too have been switching some nights to Hilton since the annoucement of the notorious MR "Enhancement" program. On my upcoming trip to Nagoya, I will still stay at Associa.
Old Jan 16, 2009, 6:08 am

Programs: CO Platinum, NWA Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hertz #1 Gold 5*
What time is the lounge closing these days? I'm back there again on Sunday.
Old Jan 17, 2009, 11:40 am

I think it is still 10PM. Not 100% sure since I don't usually pay that much attention.
You are there by now. Sorry for the late post.
Perhaps you can post back ^
Old Jan 18, 2009, 4:04 pm

The lounge is open until midnight. I just left it at 11:30 PM.

Last edited by NWA-PLAT; Jan 19, 2009 at 7:35 am
Old Jan 19, 2009, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by NWA-PLAT
The lounge is open until midnight. I just left it at 11:30 PM.
No kidding, that's fantastic

How was your stay? Different?
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:42 am

After about 18 months, I returned and stayed for 5 nights at this Marriott Associa.
Check-in in the exec lounge around 9:30pm (they do check-in up to 10pm, but otherwise the lounge is open until mid-night). Quick & efficient as I knew it from before.
Interestingly, the same manager who checked me in last time was there again. We both recognized each other by names! Pleasant check-in experience. Short paper work is being done while you are sitting down and sipping a nice cold drink!
Got an upgraded room facing the Nagoya castle, large and in the circular part of the building (last stay, I had a huge rectangular room looking over the east side rails of the station).
I must be biased somehow, I really like and enjoy this place. The service in the lounge is absolutely terrific. They know what you drink as soon as you step into the lounge. They make travel arrangement and give advice. Service with a smile! This is my top rated lounge in terms of service.
I shall return.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.