Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin LAX [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2017, 10:51 am

Programs: SPG, Marriott, United, SWA, AA
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Has there been a change to the cleaning chemicals used? The Westin signature scent had been gone the last three stays and replaced with a strong cleaning chemical smell. I thought the first time it was just a one off thing but last weekend and this weekend the same strong smell was in the room.

Not good. Normally I hate perfumes and scents. They give me headaches and bother my sinuses, but the Westin scent is pretty much the only one I have ever encountered that I enjoy.
controller1 and JackE like this.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 1:22 pm

Programs: HGP Globalist, SPG P100, Hilton Dia
Looking forward to my first stay after checking out the long threads on Westin vs Sheraton vs 4P!

Does anyone or Phil know if Westin charges package handling fee if I send some small packages to the hotel? I noticed theres a Fedex Centre on the property.... =/

Thanks!
Old Oct 17, 2017, 2:43 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SAS EBD, BA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by l380
Looking forward to my first stay after checking out the long threads on Westin vs Sheraton vs 4P!

Does anyone or Phil know if Westin charges package handling fee if I send some small packages to the hotel? I noticed theres a Fedex Centre on the property.... =/

Thanks!
Yes, expect to get charged 5usd pr. package regardless of package size or your status.
l380 likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Has there been a change to the cleaning chemicals used? The Westin signature scent had been gone the last three stays and replaced with a strong cleaning chemical smell. I thought the first time it was just a one off thing but last weekend and this weekend the same strong smell was in the room.
I was there a few nights ago and didn't notice anything at all objectionable.
Old Oct 29, 2017, 4:19 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Daily Grill

I like the Daily Grill and, while there this time, used my iPhone to sign up for the Daily Grill loyalty program.

Only I wasn't at the Daily Grill; I was in the bar area that's part of the Daily Grill. Although there were table tents touting the program ("Insiders"), the room charge went to the Lobby Lounge instead of Daily Grill. If you want to get loyalty credit from the restaurant, you have to be seated in the non-bar area. I did get credit for a second visit, where I happened to sit in the main area.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 8:47 pm

Any recent reports?
Old Nov 12, 2018, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Stay away from Governors Suite

I checked in and they asked me if I would like the Governors Suite. I thought to myself, that's a silly question. Of course I'd like an upgrade to the Governors Suite. But later I learned that it wasn't a silly question. I would have preferred a normal room than this suite.

While it has lots of space and a big outdoor deck by the pool, this room has the poorest lighting of any major chain hotel I can ever recall. And it is a handicapped room. Because it is a handicapped room, the bathroom is extra large. But with all that space, there is only a single dim bulb in the ceiling covering the entire bathroom. It is essentially dark and you can barely see your face in the mirror. And no lighting over the desk. The only area that is well lit is the small bar area. But of course there is nothing at the bar. Not even glasses. There are only the typical plastic cups that is the standard as US Marriott hotels. This is such a poorly appointed suite.

Also there seems to be much more jet noise than I recall on my previous stays here on the upper floors. Maybe weaker soundproofing on this floor.
Old Nov 12, 2018, 12:29 pm
Company Representative, Westin LAX

Originally Posted by stimpy
I checked in and they asked me if I would like the Governors Suite. I thought to myself, that's a silly question. Of course I'd like an upgrade to the Governors Suite. But later I learned that it wasn't a silly question. I would have preferred a normal room than this suite.

While it has lots of space and a big outdoor deck by the pool, this room has the poorest lighting of any major chain hotel I can ever recall. And it is a handicapped room. Because it is a handicapped room, the bathroom is extra large. But with all that space, there is only a single dim bulb in the ceiling covering the entire bathroom. It is essentially dark and you can barely see your face in the mirror. And no lighting over the desk. The only area that is well lit is the small bar area. But of course there is nothing at the bar. Not even glasses. There are only the typical plastic cups that is the standard as US Marriott hotels. This is such a poorly appointed suite.

Also there seems to be much more jet noise than I recall on my previous stays here on the upper floors. Maybe weaker soundproofing on this floor.
Thank you for staying with us! I really appreciate the feedback!!! It is super helpful. Just a note that there are two light switches in the bathroom, one is a normal switch and one is the motion detector. It is confusing, but you do need to touch the motion detector to turn on the light. If there is no activity for a while the light will shut itself off. Great point as well on the main room. We'll find another standing lamp.

Thank you again for the feedback! Always feel free to PM me to give me a heads up before your stays.

Phil
Old Nov 28, 2018, 2:02 pm

Decent hotel, rooms and restaurant. Imaginary airport shuttle

We stayed the night of November 10 to break up a Hawaii to east coast trip. The room was fine, the restaurant reasonable in price and open late, and the desk staff courteous and efficient. BUT..... we waited at LAX for over 30 minutes (around 8PM) for the mythical shuttle. During the time four Hilton shuttles, two for the Sheraton, and innumerable others came and went. No Westin. When the shuttle finally came we spoke with others who had been waiting for over an hour. The driver barely spoke english and offered no assistance to anyone. We were picked up at T3, after 2 more terminals he drove past others signaling him at the curb, while there was still (standing) room on the shuttle. We were told that the shuttles back, in the morning, ran on 20 minute intervals. Nope. Not today. After 30-40 minutes we called an Uber. Clearly this hotel either doesn't pay the contractor for sufficient shuttles, or the contractor isn't delivering as promised (and the hotel does not care?). We mentioned this to the desk person and she acknowledged this was a known issue (but apparently nothing was being done). If transpo to and from the airport is important, stay at one of the many other equivalent properties.
Old Nov 29, 2018, 2:44 pm
Company Representative, Westin LAX

Originally Posted by carolinaflyr
Decent hotel, rooms and restaurant. Imaginary airport shuttle

We stayed the night of November 10 to break up a Hawaii to east coast trip. The room was fine, the restaurant reasonable in price and open late, and the desk staff courteous and efficient. BUT..... we waited at LAX for over 30 minutes (around 8PM) for the mythical shuttle. During the time four Hilton shuttles, two for the Sheraton, and innumerable others came and went. No Westin. When the shuttle finally came we spoke with others who had been waiting for over an hour. The driver barely spoke english and offered no assistance to anyone. We were picked up at T3, after 2 more terminals he drove past others signaling him at the curb, while there was still (standing) room on the shuttle. We were told that the shuttles back, in the morning, ran on 20 minute intervals. Nope. Not today. After 30-40 minutes we called an Uber. Clearly this hotel either doesn't pay the contractor for sufficient shuttles, or the contractor isn't delivering as promised (and the hotel does not care?). We mentioned this to the desk person and she acknowledged this was a known issue (but apparently nothing was being done). If transpo to and from the airport is important, stay at one of the many other equivalent properties.
Thank you for the feedback! It is always very helpful!!! I know from experience how frustrating it is to wait for a shuttle. My tolerance is around 12 minutes before my head explodes. As soon as I saw this I reached out to our contractor and shared your comments. I have a meeting set with them early next week. I also looked at their GPS logs. The longest wait I see (based on Terminal 2) is 16 minutes between 8:31P and 8:47P. The wait times either side of that were between 1 minute and 8 minutes. I'll cross check this against the logs my Valet Parking company keeps - usually they match up pretty well.. Please feel free to DM and I'll make sure we make it up to you if/when you stay with us again.

Be Well!

Phil
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Originally Posted by WESTINLAXGM
Thank you for the feedback! It is always very helpful!!! I know from experience how frustrating it is to wait for a shuttle. My tolerance is around 12 minutes before my head explodes. As soon as I saw this I reached out to our contractor and shared your comments. I have a meeting set with them early next week. I also looked at their GPS logs. The longest wait I see (based on Terminal 2) is 16 minutes between 8:31P and 8:47P. The wait times either side of that were between 1 minute and 8 minutes. I'll cross check this against the logs my Valet Parking company keeps - usually they match up pretty well.. Please feel free to DM and I'll make sure we make it up to you if/when you stay with us again.

Be Well!

Phil
I waited WELL over 40 minutes (and, like the prior poster, saw repeat appearances from shuttles for every other major LAX hotel) in July. When I spoke to the FD about it, the response was that the hotel is so much farther away from LAX than those others!
Most people who stay at airport hotels do so for quick and easy access to the airport. The Westin LAX fails woefully to provide that. I’ll stay elsewhere next time.
Old Nov 30, 2018, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by rfrost

I waited WELL over 40 minutes (and, like the prior poster, saw repeat appearances from shuttles for every other major LAX hotel) in July. When I spoke to the FD about it, the response was that the hotel is so much farther away from LAX than those others!
Most people who stay at airport hotels do so for quick and easy access to the airport. The Westin LAX fails woefully to provide that. I’ll stay elsewhere next time.
I would not be so quick to write off the Westin LAX. Having followed Phil's past performance back long before his Westin days, if he says he's going to look into something, you can pretty much rest assured it will get resolved. Some contractors start to take short cuts thinking they won't get caught. Obviously never dealt with FT customers! I expect we will hear back from Phil with a plan to fix the problem.
MaxFlyer and Keyser like this.
Old Dec 2, 2018, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by RogerD408
I would not be so quick to write off the Westin LAX. Having followed Phil's past performance back long before his Westin days, if he says he's going to look into something, you can pretty much rest assured it will get resolved. Some contractors start to take short cuts thinking they won't get caught. Obviously never dealt with FT customers! I expect we will hear back from Phil with a plan to fix the problem.
agreed....phil has been extremely helpful & the reason why i shifted all my stays from the four points to the westin when phil moved....
Old Dec 2, 2018, 8:29 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Originally Posted by Keyser
agreed....phil has been extremely helpful & the reason why i shifted all my stays from the four points to the westin when phil moved....
How's the beer selection at the Westin? Haven't been to LA since Phil came back, but his FP was the only FP I would voluntarily stay at in the US!
Old Dec 2, 2018, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by dcstudent
How's the beer selection at the Westin? Haven't been to LA since Phil came back, but his FP was the only FP I would voluntarily stay at in the US!
no clue....but i am sure phil would be able to answer this question....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.