Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Love the elevator shot!
Anything for the elevator aficionados.

David
ElevatorEnthusiast likes this.
Old May 25, 2023, 8:18 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite, United Mileage Plus Silver
Currently staying here right now so writing the review while everything remains fresh in my head. I normally stay at the Torrance Marriott Redondo Beach (excellent property IMO) but I needed to be closer to LAX for this stay. Looking at rates for properties around LAX, even limited service Bonvoy properties were going for over $200/night. For some reason though, the AAA rate for the Westin LAX averaged $140/night for the dates I needed, so even factoring in the outrageous $49 parking fee (yes it has gone up from the previously mentioned $44 ), I would still come out ahead. Keep in mind, even the limited-service properties within a 10 mile radius of LAX charge for parking which I find crazy and ridiculous. As a side-note, there was a “package deal” rate available that included parking but after doing the math, the pricing would have been exactly the same have I just paid for it upon check-in .

I had reservations about booking this property given some of the reviews but I decided to take the plunge based on price.

Upon check-in there was a special line for elites and flight crews which I used. Tried to sweet talk the FDC to waive the parking fee or at least offer a discount but to no avail…oh well I tried . No upgrade but given a room on the 11th floor, “Westin Executive Club Level”. It looks like someone at least attempted to remodel the room, but it still showed its age, particularly the lack of sound insulation. My room faced Century Boulevard and I can hear cars racing about even when I was not in bed. Maybe it would be better if I got a room on the opposite side of the building? Luckily, the trip has been exhausting so far so I had no issue falling asleep.

As another user here mentioned, the temporary lounge is on the 3rd floor by the pool. It was key accessible after hours with coffee, soft drinks, and some fruit to grab. Breakfast was nothing to write home about; only 2 hot items on offer....maybe marginally better than a Residence Inn Breakfast? Cannot comment on the evening offerings as I do not think I will get a chance to pop in during the evening this trip.

I loved that the gym had Pelaton bikes which I used every morning. Staff were also pleasant and friendly; big kudos to the lounge attendants who were hustling every morning.

Overall, this property did everything as I expected, albeit my expectations were low based on all the reviews. The noise is a major downside Next time, I will ask for a room that does not face Century Boulevard. Will I stay again? Only if the price is comparable to the limited service Bonvoy Properties in the area after factoring in the parking fee. But next time I find myself in LA, I will probably head back to the Torrance Marriott. Here for 1 more night so if anything changes, I will update the review.
Old May 27, 2023, 5:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
This property was my absolute favorite during my many stays in the area. My relative was in the OC and I would make the drive to stay at the Westin LAX. The first strike for me was when they removed the Sauna. However, with the way that the GM Phil treated FT people with UG, free parking and other stuff made it worthwhile. Once Phil departed it was never the same & I left to stay in the OC.
Seeing the pics of the empty old lounge tugged at my heart as many, many fun days began in that lounge with a few hot waffles.
I also miss suite 1281, with it's amazing views of LAX and summer evenings out on the patio.
Old May 27, 2023, 10:00 pm

I saw some confusion about the background of this hotel earlier in the thread, so I thought I'd give the most accurate history I can. It gets confusing, because this hotel has actually been a Westin on two entirely separate occasions.

It opened on Monday August 11, 1986 as the Stouffer Concourse Hotel. Here's an LA Times article about the opening:

Stouffer Hotel to Make L. A. Debut : Chain’s First in California Located in Airport AreaL.A. Times Archives
Aug. 10, 1986 12 AM PT Stouffer Hotels’ first California property is scheduled to open Monday at 5400 W. Century Blvd., near Los Angeles International Airport.

Known as the Stouffer Concourse Hotel, the $83-million, 750-room project is the 24th hotel in the Stouffer chain.

It is also the company’s first in the West, although others are planned. A 550-room hotel in Indian Wells and a 500-room resort in Tucson are expected to be completed in late 1988.

The Los Angeles hotel is a joint development of Stouffer Hotel Co. of Solon, Ohio, and Watt High-Rise Inc. of Santa Monica.

Designed by Gin Wong Associates of Los Angeles, the 12-story hotel has a 30-foot-high porte cochere, topped by a series of landscaped, skylighted terraces. The top five stories are terraced to provide private patios, each with a spa, for the two suites at the end of each wing.

All guest rooms are equipped with refrigerators, mini-bars, bedside and desk-top telephones, built-in hair dryers, remote-control television and radio/TV speakers in the bathroom. Airline flight information is available in each room on a closed-circuit TV channel.

The hotel also has a 13,500-square-foot ballroom that can accommodate 1,500 people, a 4,200-square-foot ballroom that can accommodate 470 people, a 2,700-square-foot theater with permanent seating for 204, dining facilities, an outdoor swimming pool, spa and fitness center and a garage for 1,100 cars.

Turner Construction Co. was the general contractor, and Barry Design Associates completed the interiors. Both are based in Los Angeles.
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...425-story.html

Here are brochures from my collection for the hotel's first few years:

It first became a Westin very briefly, from 1992-1993. This was in the confusing pre-Starwood era when most Westins were simply named The Westin in every city.

Here's a brochure from the hotel's first round as a Westin:

It became the Doubletree Los Angeles Airport in 1994. I don't have any brochures from that period.

It moved back to Westin in 1997 as The Westin Los Angeles Airport.
Old May 27, 2023, 10:04 pm

By the way, the Stouffer Concourse Hotel became The Westin in 1992, a year before Stouffer Hotels were sold by Nestle to New World and rebranded as Stouffer Renaissance. People way back in the thread were wondering if that sale had anything to do with the name change. I don't think it did.
Old May 28, 2023, 5:04 am

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by cuzbmw
For some reason though, the AAA rate for the Westin LAX averaged $140/night for the dates I needed, so even factoring in the outrageous $49 parking fee (yes it has gone up from the previously mentioned $44 ), I would still come out ahead. Keep in mind, even the limited-service properties within a 10 mile radius of LAX charge for parking which I find crazy and ridiculous. As a side-note, there was a “package deal” rate available that included parking but after doing the math, the pricing would have been exactly the same have I just paid for it upon check-in .
Iirc you don’t get points on parking but you do on the room rate, so you might have been better off booking the parking package rate where you would have received points for everything!
Old May 28, 2023, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by donotblink
Iirc you don’t get points on parking but you do on the room rate, so you might have been better off booking the parking package rate where you would have received points for everything!
Ohh that's good to know! Will consider that for next time. Was under the impression everything that get's charged to the folio at full-service properties are eligible for points unlike limited service properties.

I was hoping I could sweet talk the FDC to waive parking since this was a personal trip and not a business trip. I have 50/50 success with asking for the parking fee to be removed at properties with a parking charge. Never hurts to ask but obviously that did not work this time around haha.

Last edited by cuzbmw; May 28, 2023 at 10:30 am
Old May 28, 2023, 12:30 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
Originally Posted by cuzbmw
Ohh that's good to know! Will consider that for next time. Was under the impression everything that get's charged to the folio at full-service properties are eligible for points unlike limited service properties.

I was hoping I could sweet talk the FDC to waive parking since this was a personal trip and not a business trip. I have 50/50 success with asking for the parking fee to be removed at properties with a parking charge. Never hurts to ask but obviously that did not work this time around haha.
I just looked it up myself because I wasn't 100% sure:2.1.b. Qualifying Charges.Qualifying Charges” are:

i. Charges incurred during a stay in a guest room at a Participating Property by a Member on his/her folio and up to two (2) additional guest rooms, including, without limitation, charges for:

A. Qualifying Rates for Stays;

B. Food and beverages (excluding alcoholic beverages where prohibited by law) and may exclude charges incurred at outlets that are not managed or operated by the Participating Property;

C. Direct-dial in-room telephone and direct-dial in-room fax;

D. In-room movies and video games;

From: https://www.marriott.com/en-gb/loyalty/terms/default.mi

also:

2.1.c. Non-Qualifying Charges. Charges which do not qualify for Points include any complimentary services, Award Redemptions (including any cash portion of an Award Redemption), or any other fees or charges including, without limitation: (A) charges for banquets, meetings or other functions, with the exception of Points earned in connection with a Qualifying Event Agreement as described in Section 5; (B) other fees paid including, without limitation, parking, business center, retail stores, and other third-party services; (C) room rate related taxes, service charges, gratuities, fees (e.g. late cancellation fee or no-show fees for not checking in for guaranteed reservations even if the reservations were paid in full), mandatory or automatic charges (e.g., resort charges) and other applicable charges, including certain room and other taxes and fees that are not part of a qualifying all-inclusive room package rate; in certain limited cases, taxes, service charges, gratuities, and/or fees related to other incidentals charged to the room bill, as well as taxes, service charges and gratuities that are part of a qualifying all-inclusive room package rate, may be eligible for Points; and (D) charges outlined in Section 8.1 for Homes & Villas by Marriott International.

(I bolded parking)
Old May 28, 2023, 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by donotblink
I just looked it up myself because I wasn't 100% sure:2.1.b. Qualifying Charges.Qualifying Charges” are:

i. Charges incurred during a stay in a guest room at a Participating Property by a Member on his/her folio and up to two (2) additional guest rooms, including, without limitation, charges for:

A. Qualifying Rates for Stays;

B. Food and beverages (excluding alcoholic beverages where prohibited by law) and may exclude charges incurred at outlets that are not managed or operated by the Participating Property;

C. Direct-dial in-room telephone and direct-dial in-room fax;

D. In-room movies and video games;

From: https://www.marriott.com/en-gb/loyalty/terms/default.mi

also:

2.1.c. Non-Qualifying Charges. Charges which do not qualify for Points include any complimentary services, Award Redemptions (including any cash portion of an Award Redemption), or any other fees or charges including, without limitation: (A) charges for banquets, meetings or other functions, with the exception of Points earned in connection with a Qualifying Event Agreement as described in Section 5; (B) other fees paid including, without limitation, parking, business center, retail stores, and other third-party services; (C) room rate related taxes, service charges, gratuities, fees (e.g. late cancellation fee or no-show fees for not checking in for guaranteed reservations even if the reservations were paid in full), mandatory or automatic charges (e.g., resort charges) and other applicable charges, including certain room and other taxes and fees that are not part of a qualifying all-inclusive room package rate; in certain limited cases, taxes, service charges, gratuities, and/or fees related to other incidentals charged to the room bill, as well as taxes, service charges and gratuities that are part of a qualifying all-inclusive room package rate, may be eligible for Points; and (D) charges outlined in Section 8.1 for Homes & Villas by Marriott International.

(I bolded parking)
Ahhhh Nice Catch!
Old Oct 20, 2023, 5:03 pm
RZR

Programs: ✈ AC 1MM / S100K - SPG Lifetime Platinum = BONVoY Lifetime Titanium
I have a 1 night layover in LAX. Looked at the westin but it seems like an old dated place.
I've never spent any time in LA. Can anyone recomend a property nearby. Main objective is newest property, with a bar for a late night drink.
I'll arrive in LA 9pm and have an 8am flight out. Airport shuttle would be nice, but have no prob spending 50.00 bucks each way either.
thx for any insight.
Old Oct 20, 2023, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by RZR
I have a 1 night layover in LAX. Looked at the westin but it seems like an old dated place.
I've never spent any time in LA. Can anyone recomend a property nearby. Main objective is newest property, with a bar for a late night drink.
I'll arrive in LA 9pm and have an 8am flight out. Airport shuttle would be nice, but have no prob spending 50.00 bucks each way either.
thx for any insight.
If you’re wanting to stay in the LAX area, the Marriott and Hyatt while not new, have new lobbies with bars that seem quite active. Both will have shuttles.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 10:09 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by mplflyer
If you’re wanting to stay in the LAX area, the Marriott and Hyatt while not new, have new lobbies with bars that seem quite active. Both will have shuttles.
+1 for Marriott and HR
Renaissance is also decent

Getting to any hotel from LAX is a PITA, just grab a black car if you don't mind the $50 for a 1.5-mile ride. (Black cars can pick you up at the curb, regular Uber is from the Lax-It thing which I avoid at all costs.) Shuttles to the airport are a little better but still not my cup of tea.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 12:32 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
+1 for Marriott and HR
Renaissance is also decent

Getting to any hotel from LAX is a PITA, just grab a black car if you don't mind the $50 for a 1.5-mile ride. (Black cars can pick you up at the curb, regular Uber is from the Lax-It thing which I avoid at all costs.) Shuttles to the airport are a little better but still not my cup of tea.
The Marriott, Ren and Hyatt are all good options.

The HR is walkable to most terminals, except maybe TBIT and T4. Use East Way to cut through to T5/6/7.
Old Oct 21, 2023, 1:47 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
I have walked to the HR from T7 and T6 before, not sure about a walk from the other terminals
Old Oct 21, 2023, 10:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
I have walked from the Westin before. My preference is the Marriott LAX. I continue to support them because they never used Covid as an excuse. When restaurants were closed they still provided breakfast from the Lobby Starbucks. Any beverage, any hot item & any pastery. For 2, it would ring up over $32. I was paying $79 for the room at the time.

Much nicer than the Westin, too. The M Lounge has fantastic views over LAX.

James
MaxFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.