Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin LAX [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2015, 7:48 pm

Just come find me and I will get duplicate lounge keys made. And give you the 2nd key.

Originally Posted by hooterbif
Thanks! By the way, responsiveness like yours on Flyertalk is a major factor in my travel decisions!
Old Nov 9, 2015, 7:53 am

The Westin is like a low end Holiday Inn Express, with low flow sinks and showers (real low flow, seems worse than normal).

I went to the club lounge for a water, they have a water cooler - not bottled water.

I'm so disappointed with the Westin LAX that I am thinking of rebooking next week. The bed is the only redeeming component. This property really does need to freshen it's image.

Parking at $30 a day seems steep. The Four Points is the same if not nicer and only has $15 a day parking.

Originally Posted by factory81
Just come find me and I will get duplicate lounge keys made. And give you the 2nd key.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 8:51 am

Programs: spg plat, AA PLAT, Hertz 5 star
The Westin is like a low end Holiday Inn Express, with low flow sinks and showers (real low flow, seems worse than normal).

I went to the club lounge for a water, they have a water cooler - not bottled water.

I'm so disappointed with the Westin LAX that I am thinking of rebooking next week. The bed is the only redeeming component. This property really does need to freshen it's image.

Parking at $30 a day seems steep. The Four Points is the same if not nicer and only has $15 a day parking.
Stayed there recently and there were bottled water on our floor, just as you come out the elevator and start working to the corridor.
Was a nice touch.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 11:45 am

Westin LAX GM reached out.

I am on the 11th floor and did not see bottled water on the floor. Or in the room. Or on the 12th floor.

Originally Posted by Valmiki
Stayed there recently and there were bottled water on our floor, just as you come out the elevator and start working to the corridor.
Was a nice touch.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 11:49 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb
To be fair, we are talking about a property located in a state with a severe drought.

I've actually been shocked at the (extreme/excessive amount of) water pressure at a number of properties I've stayed at in California this year... presumably they were properties that have not had their bathroom fixtures changed out since they were last renovated, but I found it a bit appalling.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 12:16 pm

I understand that you're not impressed with the Westin but, really, the Four Points is nicer??

I spent a few days in both a few weeks ago. The Four Points stay was my first-ever at the brand, and it's likely going to be my last. The Westin LAX is a much nicer facility overall, with the understanding that we are comparing airport hotels. I did find the lounge to be very weak, though.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: SE100K (Star Gold)
Not steep for CA at all. SFO is $42/day at one of the properties.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 12:24 pm
Company Representative, Westin LAX

Westin LAX GM reached out.

I am on the 11th floor and did not see bottled water on the floor. Or in the room. Or on the 12th floor.
Just checked and it is fully stocked now. We've been keeping the elevator landings stocked 24/7 with bottled water. It should not run out, but people grab a few at a time, and we probably need to be more observant.

We eliminated the Honor Bars as of October 31. The Honor Bar attendants used to stock the water in the rooms. While we work with the union on the details of having housekeepers stock the water we are stocking the elevator landings on every floor with water. Not a perfect system but it is a good bridge solution.

Stay Well!

Phil
Old Nov 9, 2015, 12:49 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by WESTINLAXGM
Just checked and it is fully stocked now.
It's great to see an engaged GM. Thanks for posting, Phil.
Old Nov 9, 2015, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by Okto
I understand that you're not impressed with the Westin but, really, the Four Points is nicer??

I spent a few days in both a few weeks ago. The Four Points stay was my first-ever at the brand, and it's likely going to be my last. The Westin LAX is a much nicer facility overall, with the understanding that we are comparing airport hotels. I did find the lounge to be very weak, though.
There is an argument to be made between the Sheraton and the Westin at LAX, but both are better than the Four Points LAX. The Four Points LAX isn't a bad example of a Four Points though, fairly average for one.
Old Nov 15, 2015, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA General Member, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5-star Gold
excellent stay

My two-night stay was excellent, from the lounge, restaurant, room-service, room, balcony, etc. (Thanks, Phil). I'd stay here again for sure. The water pressure was fine for me. The noise from the airplanes was no problem (although I sleep with a noise machine). The food in the lounge was better than I expected.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:44 pm

I was in 1176 before, and 1004 this time. On both my 5 night stays here, I have identical rooms. No balcony for me in either scenario, but I booked the cheapest single king they had. They were probably something like a "high floor deluxe room" or something. What kind of rate did you book to get a balcony? I never get the cool upgrades with SPG

1176 definitely had water pressure issues with the sink. Like shaving and brushing your teeth were difficult to do even. (I did it in the shower). Here is the thing, I have no clue how much pressure to expect in places that go above and beyond with their "green initiatives". So last week, it seemed normal to me - to have a sink that couldn't even wash hair off a straight blade. But this week it is clear that 1176 just had problems.

1004 has sufficient water pressure with the sink.

HOWEVER, there is a new annoyance. Housekeeping staff have been staging protests I guess (irregularly). So it has now been at least twice this week before 7:30 AM that people with bullhorns were outside. I am on the 10th floor - and the sound proofing is not sufficient to eliminate the bullhorns. I think the protesters are on public property or something, because they were there for 30+ minutes, with no sign of leaving or being asked to leave.

The lounge is nicer than a Sheraton at this point I might say. They had salmon and brown rice this evening for instance, and 3 desserts (2 diff cheesecakes, and a fruit tart). No complimentary alcohol still.

The water bottle situation seems to be something like this: water can be found near the hotel elevators in the evenings. It seems about 5:30-6pm is when they are restocked. By 2 AM - there is usually nothing left. And it is not restocked in my experience in the morning by 7 AM.

The airplane noise is not that bad compared to the bullhorns from house keeping out front protesting.

Check-in experience is mixed. Last week; super fast with enough people behind the counter to process everyone in a timely manner. This time around there was a queue longer than a dozen people in the non-SPG lane. And a queue of 3-4 of us in the SPG lane. To give you a idea of how fast the line was moving; I was able to go to my room and back to the front desk and see no progress. A few more people came out from back, and then the line started to move quicker.

All I can find about the hotel protesting situation is in late 2014 a staff member was let go for something to do with bed bugs. I don't know what is going on now - but the front desk would only say that it is housekeeping protesting for various reasons.

The taxes and parking really add up here, $154/nt is closer to $210/nt out the door. I would try the Sheraton by LAX next time I am here, although I like the Westin's location to the 405

My two-night stay was excellent, from the lounge, restaurant, room-service, room, balcony, etc. (Thanks, Phil). I'd stay here again for sure. The water pressure was fine for me. The noise from the airplanes was no problem (although I sleep with a noise machine). The food in the lounge was better than I expected.

Last edited by factory81; Nov 18, 2015 at 7:51 pm
Old Nov 18, 2015, 7:57 pm

Programs: UA General Member, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Silver, Hertz 5-star Gold
What kind of rate did you book to get a balcony?
I paid $138 (without fees/taxes).
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:20 am

Heh, 154/nt here. I am Sun-Friday stayer tho.

Oh well, they probably didn't have the balcony open for 5 nights for me. If I was a hotel tho - if I could satisfy 3 plats a week vs 1 in a balcony upgrade suite, I would probably want to satisfy more people too.

I've heard some other people remark in other threads that us "extended stay plats" don't deserve consistent large upgrades because we would just tie up too much premium inventory for too long.

The two protesters are out again today. They are incredibly effective with their bullhorns. They repeat the same two phrases back and forth at each other - and because of the tone in their voices - it nearly mimics a emergency siren. That makes it 3x this week.

I owuld say the rooms are pretty quiet given all of the noise around them. 1004 is close to the elevators, and I can only hear them when I try. The airplanes, same thing. But the protesters are just loud enough with their tones to make it thru the windows

I paid $138 (without fees/taxes).
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:53 am
Company Representative, Westin LAX

I was in 1176 before, and 1004 this time. On both my 5 night stays here, I have identical rooms. No balcony for me in either scenario, but I booked the cheapest single king they had. They were probably something like a "high floor deluxe room" or something. What kind of rate did you book to get a balcony? I never get the cool upgrades with SPG

1176 definitely had water pressure issues with the sink. Like shaving and brushing your teeth were difficult to do even. (I did it in the shower). Here is the thing, I have no clue how much pressure to expect in places that go above and beyond with their "green initiatives". So last week, it seemed normal to me - to have a sink that couldn't even wash hair off a straight blade. But this week it is clear that 1176 just had problems.

1004 has sufficient water pressure with the sink.

HOWEVER, there is a new annoyance. Housekeeping staff have been staging protests I guess (irregularly). So it has now been at least twice this week before 7:30 AM that people with bullhorns were outside. I am on the 10th floor - and the sound proofing is not sufficient to eliminate the bullhorns. I think the protesters are on public property or something, because they were there for 30+ minutes, with no sign of leaving or being asked to leave.

The lounge is nicer than a Sheraton at this point I might say. They had salmon and brown rice this evening for instance, and 3 desserts (2 diff cheesecakes, and a fruit tart). No complimentary alcohol still.

The water bottle situation seems to be something like this: water can be found near the hotel elevators in the evenings. It seems about 5:30-6pm is when they are restocked. By 2 AM - there is usually nothing left. And it is not restocked in my experience in the morning by 7 AM.

The airplane noise is not that bad compared to the bullhorns from house keeping out front protesting.

Check-in experience is mixed. Last week; super fast with enough people behind the counter to process everyone in a timely manner. This time around there was a queue longer than a dozen people in the non-SPG lane. And a queue of 3-4 of us in the SPG lane. To give you a idea of how fast the line was moving; I was able to go to my room and back to the front desk and see no progress. A few more people came out from back, and then the line started to move quicker.

All I can find about the hotel protesting situation is in late 2014 a staff member was let go for something to do with bed bugs. I don't know what is going on now - but the front desk would only say that it is housekeeping protesting for various reasons.

The taxes and parking really add up here, $154/nt is closer to $210/nt out the door. I would try the Sheraton by LAX next time I am here, although I like the Westin's location to the 405
First of all it is great to see the candid feedback. It is mission critical for us to see the operation from the guest's eyes.

The water is actually a pretty easy explanation. We eliminated the Honor Bars last month and the Honor Bar Attendants used to stock the water. We'll be transitioning to the housekeepers stocking water next week, but we had an interim period where we were working with the union on how this would work. During that time I tried to flood the hotel with water. It was hard to keep enough water stocked even on all the elevator landings. I guess everyone was pretty thirsty!

Regarding our friends with the bullhorns, we are currently negotiating a new CBA. It is by no means contentious. The bullhorns are employees of the union focused on our third party restaurant. I'm sure you know that we are not being complacent here as we work to untie our hands.

I like the observation on check-in. We always need to be urgent and use our managers to flex staffing when we have full shuttles arrive.

Stay Well and Happy Thanksgiving!!!! I appreciate your business and your engagement!!!!

Phil

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.