Wiki Posts
Search

Westin LAX [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2015, 1:27 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by WESTINLAXGM
Hi Guys! We've worked out a change in the airport shuttle service starting March 1. We'll no longer be paired with another LAX hotel. The Westin shuttle will be running on its own with no stops other than the Hotel and the Terminals. Looking forward to seeing if this helps. Be Well! Phil
Isn't this shuttle currently paired with the Four Points LAX? Ahh... Irony.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 3:54 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Originally Posted by uxb
I called down to the FD, expressed my aggravation for receiving the dirty room, and asked for a new one. The manager said she would send up keys to a new room on the 7th floor that had a king bed and offered to comp my parking. After 15 minutes of waiting, I didn't end up with that new key. Instead, I got an attractive guest, who also had the misfortune of being assigned that same room. I didn't know SPG had a partnership with Tinder. And, no, I didn't ask for her number because the encounter was already creepy enough.
Quote of the month material. And, I'm not saying this because I'm trying to make light of your issues, they do sound quite terrible. I would be as disappointed as you. I'm just saying that you are a good writer, this is awesome: "I didn't know SPG had a partnership with Tinder" Priceless.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 5:14 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by dcstudent
Quote of the month material. And, I'm not saying this because I'm trying to make light of your issues, they do sound quite terrible. I would be as disappointed as you. I'm just saying that you are a good writer, this is awesome: "I didn't know SPG had a partnership with Tinder" Priceless.
Thanks. I think.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 11:22 am
Company Representative, Westin LAX

Originally Posted by uxb
Isn't this shuttle currently paired with the Four Points LAX? Ahh... Irony.
Due to some issues with the Residence Inn coming on board our shuttle change to solo runs has been put off until March 5 and maybe just a bit longer. I'm obviously anxious to see what improvement this makes. It has to be better just by virtue of having no other hotel stops. Let me know how its going once it starts.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by uxb
I'm currently a guest here, but my stay has the look and feel of a typical stay at the Four Points LAX that Phil used to manage before it was run into the ground.

Prior to check in, I received a flurry of arrival anticipation E-mails. It would appear that I was upgraded to an executive floor room twice before being kicked back down to a deluxe. I was at work all day yesterday, so I didn't have time to check in before midnight this morning.

I arrived at the property around 12:30 only to find that my reservation was cancelled in the system. I asked the FD agent if my res was canceled, but she assured me it wasn't. No upgrade. No room with one bed because the hotel was supposedly oversold. Fine, whatever.

I was given a room on the ninth floor that thankfully faced W. Century Blvd. instead of the TSA K-9 unit. Unfortunately, the room was gross. The beds looked like someone had been in there. The desk had some sort of grease all over it. The WC had hair in the shower, and the room smelled... bad. I eventually discovered that someone had indeed been there because the mini-bar was picked through and the comp bottle of water was gone.

I called down to the FD, expressed my aggravation for receiving the dirty room, and asked for a new one. The manager said she would send up keys to a new room on the 7th floor that had a king bed and offered to comp my parking. After 15 minutes of waiting, I didn't end up with that new key. Instead, I got an attractive guest, who also had the misfortune of being assigned that same room. I didn't know SPG had a partnership with Tinder. And, no, I didn't ask for her number because the encounter was already creepy enough. Instead, I directed her back downstairs for a new room, and waited another 10 minutes before giving in and doing the same.

By this point of my stay, the FD manager had comp'd my parking and offered to comp my room. I declined explaining that I had a long enough day, and just wanted a clean room. The room on the 7th floor was a bit of an improvement in terms of cleanliness, and I got to sleep around 2am.

A few hours later, I attempted to go to the Exec Lounge for breakfast. My key wasn't coded correctly, so no access. Fortunately, someone was leaving as I attempted to enter, so I saved a trip to the FD. Upon entering the lounge, I noticed it was an unattended zoo w/ no plates, glasses, or utensils. It was only 8:20. The lounge closes for breakfast at 9:30. I again went down to the FD with my complaint. This time, I was comp'd $40,- for breakfast in the lounge.

I suppose that's the only place where this hotel shined, because the service was terrible everywhere else.
I was just about to write something like "let's temper our enthusiasm a bit...I've only been here for 90 days" and then I got an email with your post. I just got back from Starwood meetings in Chicago so sorry for the delay in responding.

First and foremost your comments are constructive and spot on. From experience I know that in your shoes extremely frustrated would have been an understatement. As a seasoned traveller you did what you could and maintained a sense of humor through it, but that doesn't make light of the scew ups on our side. You have my sincere apologies.

This is meant as an explanation and not an excuse. Believe me, as soon as this hit my email I was communicating with my operations team.... We have probably 25 no shows a night and therefore we overbook (and very rarely walk a guest - once since I've been here). What that does is create anxiety for the Front Desk team and at some point they unblock rooms. In this business when the train derails it rarely gets back on the track. As soon as your room was unblocked it all unravelled.

You shouldn't have to do this, but please feel free to email me your estimated arrival time so I can make sure we hold the room we have you assigned in. You are extremely valuable customers and I encourage you guys to play the "My Buddy Phil the GM" card and proactively communicate with me and with Erica so that we do hit on the basics and understand and execute on your preferrences.

Sorry again for the poor stay! I owe you one.

Phil
Old Feb 27, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
You shouldn't have to do this, but please feel free to email me your estimated arrival time so I can make sure we hold the room we have you assigned in. You are extremely valuable customers and I encourage you guys to play the "My Buddy Phil the GM" card and proactively communicate with me and with Erica so that we do hit on the basics and understand and execute on your preferrences.
I have never done this in all the years I've stayed at SPG hotels. However, based on Phil's comment, I decided to reach out to him 2 days before my stay early Feb. and he did more than hold the pre-assigned room, but a suite upgrade.

Breakfast in the Club Lounge was busy, but the lounge attendant was hard at work when I was there, with a smile and a positive attitude.

Yes, it takes time to turn a ship around. I have no doubt that the Westin will be the SPG property of choice for most of us at LAX.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 12:31 pm
uxb

I was just about to write something like "let's temper our enthusiasm a bit...I've only been here for 90 days" and then I got an email with your post. I just got back from Starwood meetings in Chicago so sorry for the delay in responding.

First and foremost your comments are constructive and spot on. From experience I know that in your shoes extremely frustrated would have been an understatement. As a seasoned traveller you did what you could and maintained a sense of humor through it, but that doesn't make light of the scew ups on our side. You have my sincere apologies.

This is meant as an explanation and not an excuse. Believe me, as soon as this hit my email I was communicating with my operations team.... We have probably 25 no shows a night and therefore we overbook (and very rarely walk a guest - once since I've been here). What that does is create anxiety for the Front Desk team and at some point they unblock rooms. In this business when the train derails it rarely gets back on the track. As soon as your room was unblocked it all unravelled.

Sorry again for the poor stay! I owe you one.

Phil
Many thanks for taking the time to respond. Unfortunately, the screw up continued at check-out where the incorrect BRG rate was applied to my stay. That was obviously Starwood's fault, but the duty manager at the time (a German speaker) was able to read through the correspondence I provided and fix the problem. It did, however, require some effort.

Anyway, I don't expect/want you to owe me anything. Instead, I've been saying for quite some time that I expect a clean, functioning room on my arrival. I consider that the basics. If you deliver on nothing else (like SPG benefits, upgrades, etc.), then at least have that ready for me. I don't like having to first fix problems when I arrive. As I have told Starwood in previous discussions, if I wanted to clean my own room, or fix my room's equipment (which wasn't the case here), then I would have applied to be a housekeeper or technician.

As for cancelling out no-shows, I never book a room w/ the intention of not staying. Further, if I cannot stay for whatever reason, then I make an effort to call the property and re-book or cancel. I don't really understand why properties feel the need to cancel out people who don't descend at precisely 3/4pm like gate lice; especially, an airport property where things (n.b. flight cancellations/delays, weather, etc.) happen all of the time. I don't know about other travellers, but the cancellation penalty is usually enough to prevent me from skipping out on my reservation. Perhaps, picking up a phone or shooting an E-mail out to guest that haven't arrived yet would be a great way to avoid this problem in the future.

During this stay, I couldn't get into a deluxe with a king bed because it was blocked for a flight crew that the FD already knew was not going to show up. One could interpret this as air crews being higher priority than us scrubs, but that thought never entered into my head because I just wanted to go to sleep by that point.

Ultimately, I remain uncertain that any of this would have never happen if my room remained blocked. The room cleanliness issue may/may not have been there, but the lounge issue would definitely remain. Additionally, the lack of communication between FD associates and their manager would have also remained. Everyone that works at a hotel, whether it is the Westin LAX or the Four Points LAX, is part of a team to deliver excellent customer service to its patrons. If you have employees that are not even communicating with each other, then that's the tipping point where the team collapses, and revenue flies out the window.

I don't want to be a non-rev. I also don't want to be burdened by the constant barrage of service fails that Starwood has provided me in the last couple of years. I don't think I am asking for much in expecting the basics. I hope you agree.

P.S. For any Lurkers reading this, please have someone look into enforcing brand standards because I'm at a point where I will apply for that job at Starwood corporate (assuming, it does not yet exist).

P.P.S. Playing the Phil card has never worked at either the Four Points or Westin. I guess no one fears you.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:21 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by uxb
Many thanks for taking the time to respond. Unfortunately, the screw up continued at check-out where the incorrect BRG rate was applied to my stay. That was obviously Starwood's fault, but the duty manager at the time (a German speaker) was able to read through the correspondence I provided and fix the problem. It did, however, require some effort.
That happened twice when I stayed here at two different times. The first time I was able to ask the FDM to fix it. The second time, their system was rebooting I believe and couldn't check anything. I asked the agent to ensure that the rate is amended but they didn't. I got charged the incorrect amount, however, a simple email to Erica fixed the situation.

This is not Starwood's fault. The Westin did not amend the reservation to the approved details.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 2:35 pm
uxb

Originally Posted by LovetoTravel83
That happened twice when I stayed here at two different times. The first time I was able to ask the FDM to fix it. The second time, their system was rebooting I believe and couldn't check anything. I asked the agent to ensure that the rate is amended but they didn't. I got charged the incorrect amount, however, a simple email to Erica fixed the situation.

This is not Starwood's fault. The Westin did not amend the reservation to the approved details.
Actually, it's different from the scenario you described. The Westin applied the wrong BRG rate, which is a Starwood issue because the correct BRG rate was supposed to have been loaded prior to my arrival. I caught this error when I went to confirm the adjusted rate, and it was supposed to have been fixed.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I would think at the very least a room blocked for a Platinum guest should NEVER be unblocked and given out - and at the same time, we should be diligent in letting the property know our intended arrival time (the SPG site makes it easy to do this while booking a room), and/or update the hotel when practical if an arrival time is changing.

If I see a hotel has assigned me to a suite or a premium room, I always call the FD if my arrival is going to be past 3pm and tell them to make sure the room is held for me and not given out - but I shouldn't need to do this

Perhaps SPG can modify its GDS to prohibit a Plat room unblock after assignment by the property without a cancellation or a specific management override.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
While I would not like this to happen to me, I do see the flip side. Without any data to the contrary, a guest not arriving by late evening is not likely to be arriving. So if they have someone standing in front of them needing a room, I suspect they will get it. Hotels have been in the business a very long time and there's all sorts of data to support this action.

I take full responsibility to keep them informed if there are glitches in my travel plans. Just like I expect them to take the responsibility of finding me a place to stay when I do show up. Some handle this better than others, as will also always be the case.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BAEC LT Gold, HH Dia, MR LT Plat, IHG Diamond Amb, Amex Plat
Due to some issues with the Residence Inn coming on board our shuttle change to solo runs has been put off until March 5 and maybe just a bit longer. I'm obviously anxious to see what improvement this makes. It has to be better just by virtue of having no other hotel stops. Let me know how its going once it starts.
March the 15th today and still sharing a bus to the 4P at half the frequency of that to the Sheraton. My wife persuaded me to stay at the Westin LAX as she had it see,s mixed up the westin SFO and the sheraton LAX.

I shan't return in a hurry, I didn't intend to be here tonight actually but circumstances conspired to fundamentally rearrange my flight ex PHX.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Land-of-Miles
March the 15th today and still sharing a bus to the 4P at half the frequency of that to the Sheraton. My wife persuaded me to stay at the Westin LAX as she had it see,s mixed up the westin SFO and the sheraton LAX.

I shan't return in a hurry, I didn't intend to be here tonight actually but circumstances conspired to fundamentally rearrange my flight ex PHX.
New shuttle route started today. Working out some kinks but should be an improvement and nice to be on our own route. Best! Phil

BTW - Sorry for not posting an update but it ended being a moving target
Old Mar 16, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by RogerD408
While I would not like this to happen to me, I do see the flip side. Without any data to the contrary, a guest not arriving by late evening is not likely to be arriving. So if they have someone standing in front of them needing a room, I suspect they will get it. Hotels have been in the business a very long time and there's all sorts of data to support this action.
What about the revenue? If I am a no-show, I will be charged for the room. If you get my room because the hotel is at capacity, then the property has double-charged the room, albeit to two different guests. For that matter, it could even be charged more than twice!
Old Mar 16, 2015, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by JackE
What about the revenue? If I am a no-show, I will be charged for the room. If you get my room because the hotel is at capacity, then the property has double-charged the room, albeit to two different guests. For that matter, it could even be charged more than twice!
Yes, that is a possibility, although I've had some properties not charge a no show fee when they have been able to resell the room. They are fully within their rights to access the fee. An argument could be made that they did reserve the room for your use and your failure to use it is not their fault.

Again, it's important to keep them informed if you want them to preserve your reservation past normal times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.