Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin LAX [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2022, 2:54 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Well things have gotten worse.

Self parking is now $30 (according to the website), or maybe $45 (according to posted rates).

There is still only 1 check-in line for all guests and no separate line for elite member. The welcome amenity is now points or $15 credit toward breakfast - no more freebie of $15 credit due to the lounge closure.

My company rate came with breakfast. The check-in person informed me that it would be provided via the coffee kiosk, and it would be only continental breakfast, and she suggested that I should redeem the points to "upgrade my breakfast to Daily Grill". However, when I tried to use the benefit next morning, the person at the kiosk did not know the specific value of the credit. So she called the front desk and found out that it was a $15 credit. I guess I could have used it at Daily Grill and no one would be wiser. Still, I got a large coffee, a bearclaw, and a Green Machine smoothie for $14.57 - taxes included.

My room was pre-blocked into a suite. The living room area was spare, with a sofa and a loveseat, but no coffee table. The room had a balcony overlooking the runway, but only had one chair. And unfortunately, the room was located above the kennel, so there was dog barking throughout the entire stay. The bathroom amenities were a hodge-podge of different brands, with only the lotion was Westin branded. I chuckled at the Pharmacopia items that were labeled as "exclusively for Best Western", which I guess it was close enough since Westin's prior name was Western International. Apparently I got a feather-free room, since all pillows were made of dense foam - reminded me of my grandmother's wooden block that she prefers to sleep on. One complimentary bottle of water was provided.

The kicker was the elevator. Only 2 were running when I checked in at around midnight, and one of them had an issue of closing the door timely. By the morning there was only 1 elevator running, where it stopped at all floors because, well, there was only 1 elevator running. By noon, they closed off the elevator lobby and directed guests to use the service elevators. It was not clear when this will be fixed, since the elevator issue did not develop overnight (unlike my flight that got diverted due to all lavatories went out of service). This also means that it took 15 minutes for me to get downstairs from the 11th floor.

Overall, I am sad that this hotel had gone backwards, as this used to be one of the better properties around LAX. Until things improve, I would choose other places to stay instead.

Last edited by PTahCha; Sep 15, 2022 at 9:09 am
Old Oct 4, 2022, 1:45 pm

Programs: United GS/MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
I stayed at this property a few weeks ago, and at check-in I asked for the "breakfast in restaurant" amenity, which is a guaranteed amenity for Westin properties under the "Elite Membership Benefits Guarantee" (https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...s/guarantee.mi).

The front desk representative denied me that option. I chatted with the property through the Marriott app, and they doubled down and stated that they don't participate in this benefit. The Bonvoy program materials state that if you aren't provided the specific amenities for a Westin property, you are entitled to $100 compensation. They refused that as well. I then reached out to Marriott corporate, who also refused to help.

Are properties just selectively following the Bonvoy program now? I'm a Titanium member and booked directly on Marriott.com.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 2:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium -> United Silver
Originally Posted by supergabe
The front desk representative denied me that option. I chatted with the property through the Marriott app, and they doubled down and stated that they don't participate in this benefit. The Bonvoy program materials state that if you aren't provided the specific amenities for a Westin property, you are entitled to $100 compensation. They refused that as well. I then reached out to Marriott corporate, who also refused to help.
I wish Marriott would stop calling certain benefits "guaranteed" when they aren't. It's getting to the point where you can count on the elite bonus points but not much else.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 6:37 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by supergabe
I stayed at this property a few weeks ago, and at check-in I asked for the "breakfast in restaurant" amenity, which is a guaranteed amenity for Westin properties under the "Elite Membership Benefits Guarantee" (https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/mem...s/guarantee.mi).
Where does it say you are guaranteed breakfast in restaurant amenity? I might be looking in wrong place but I see this in the link if lounge closed:

Sheraton, Le Méridien, Westin (Resorts are included for above brands)

No alternative offered when lounge closed
Old Oct 4, 2022, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
Where does it say you are guaranteed breakfast in restaurant amenity? I might be looking in wrong place but I see this in the link if lounge closed:

Sheraton, Le Méridien, Westin (Resorts are included for above brands)

No alternative offered when lounge closed
Guaranteed Welcome Gift @ St. Regis, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, Sheraton, Le Méridien, Westin, Tribute Portfolio:

1,000 points per stay or amenity per stay or breakfast in restaurant per night of stay for Member +1 (including resorts)

Guest Compensation: $100 USD
Old Oct 4, 2022, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA GS4MM, MR LT Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DallasEsq
Guaranteed Welcome Gift @ St. Regis, The Luxury Collection, W Hotels, Sheraton, Le Méridien, Westin, Tribute Portfolio:

1,000 points per stay or amenity per stay or breakfast in restaurant per night of stay for Member +1 (including resorts)

Guest Compensation: $100 USD
1,000 points OR amenity OR breakfast - I read that at the discretion of the hotel which one to give you - not you pick
Old Oct 4, 2022, 9:57 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ti/LTP
1,000 points OR amenity OR breakfast - I read that at the discretion of the hotel which one to give you - not you pick
The full T&C include this:
Platinum Elite Members and above receive one Elite Welcome Gift (of their choice where multiple options are offered)
Old Oct 4, 2022, 10:04 pm

Do you generally stay at breakfast-included properties? I'm usually asked whether I want the points or breakfast at check-in.
Old Oct 4, 2022, 11:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I believe it's the choice of the guest, not the property.
SPN Lifer, DallasEsq and anteater like this.
Old Nov 21, 2022, 10:54 pm

Just had a 1 night stay for a trip to Sofi. Overall it was pretty good. Self parking was $44. Platinum breakfast was offered in the lounge. It was only a continental breakfast with eggs but the eggs were very good. The lounge was busy on the morning after a Charger game.
Old Nov 23, 2022, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Does anyone from the hotel (i.e., Manager) still lurk here? I'm curious what might be open here on Xmas day, as we've got hours to kill late AM / early PM, luggage in tow, and I was thinking of taking the airport shuttle and having lunch at the hotel, leaving bags with the bell desk.
Old Jan 30, 2023, 8:25 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium
Any recent stays here, looking at feb 17-20, I heard the lounge is tiny and moved to the 3rd floor by the pool
Old Jan 31, 2023, 8:35 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Yes, they are still renovating the regular lounge so the temporary one is a small room with a few breakfast items. Not too impressive. Was upgraded to a suite a checkin though it did have quite a musty smell. The hallways had the Westin scent, the room certainly did not.
Old Feb 1, 2023, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Had two stays about three weeks apart in November and December 2022.

At the last stay, that was right after they'd moved the lounge to a conference/meeting room on the 3rd floor. The primary benefit of being on that floor is access to the "pool" and gym.

When I was walking the temporary lounge, one of the managers and other staff indicated that they'd planned to make the new lounge down on ground floor - so there will go any view ('tho the one from the old lounge wasn't terribly superior - but it at least had a view and could watch planes arriving).

Here are a few shots - this Westin is clearly an airport/conference facility.

Room one in late November - this room faced south:

Good view of landings into 25L - and the top of the parking structure:

The old lounge and its view:

Visit 2: Mattress run to get to 50 nights:

This room faces north and provides views of the newly built CONRAC and even more LAX development:

The old and now vacated lounge:

An inop elevator:

The latest incarnation of a lounge and its view of a People Mover station:

The glorious pool area - adjacent to the temp lounge and gym:

Head nod to ElevatorEnthusiast :

Parking rates:

David

Last edited by DELee; Feb 1, 2023 at 9:30 am
Old Feb 1, 2023, 10:12 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Love the elevator shot!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.