Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Atlanta, GA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Atlanta, GA

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2014, 9:30 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum Member, Starwood, Hilton Honors
Just came back from a weekend trip with the family in Atlanta, GA during the period of June 12-16, 2014!

I stayed at the Marriott Midtown Suites on 14th Street. This is one of my favorite places to stay as I usually stay in the Midtown area, mainly because, to me, the area is less congested as compared to the Buckhead District.

During the outing, we were going to Lenox Mall in Buckhead ATL. Normally, it takes 20-25 minutes to get there, but it ended up taking around 30-35 minutes, heavy traffic particularly on Saturday. It took another 15-20 minutes to just get to the "self-parking" area in front of Macy's.

All in all, a great trip throughout last weekend. It was an opportunity to let my mom in particular to see the Atlanta area as this was her 2nd trip!

Also, in Midtown Atlanta, one of the other hotels that I usually stay at is the Residence Inn Historic Midtown on West Peachtree Street.

I found out earlier that someone acquired the hotel a little over a year ago, and since last fall, the hotel is off the reservation list for a while as they are remodeling the entire hotel.

I drove by there when I was down there, and the rooms appear to be stripped down to the bare walls as they still appear to be in full restoration mode.

An article that I saw online indicated that they would reopen during the 3rd quarter of the year (which I'm assuming to mean the July to September period). But, we'll see about that.

Last edited by Marcell; Mar 22, 2015 at 10:46 pm
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:45 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Stayed at the Renaissance Midtown last weekend and really enjoyed it.

I was debating between there and the Marriott Suites (mainly due to the recommendations from here) with pretty much identical rates, but ended up going with the Ren after noticing that it looked like I had been pre-upgraded to a suite, one of the few times I've ever gotten one so I was definitely happy about that. Looks like the Ren did also have slightly better reviews on Tripadvisor.

It was a really nice room, a corner suite on one of the higher floors with pretty good views in both directions.

I probably should have read the CL thread, as there is no Lounge but instead of just giving out continental breakfast, they said you could spend up to $50 on their regular menu. I had actually booked one of the MR deals, $210 for the night which included 2 aquarium tickets (wasn't a big fan BTW), valet parking and breakfast for 2 as I figured we'd probably want a real breakfast anyway. But was still a pretty good deal IMO even though I apparently would have gotten the full breakfast either way.

The only thing I didn't realize and not that we would have used it but there is no pool.

The staff was also very friendly and helpful. Overall a much better stay than when I was the Marquis downtown two years ago which I discussed in another thread.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 10:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by GoPhils
Stayed at the Renaissance Midtown last weekend and really enjoyed it.

I probably should have read the CL thread, as there is no Lounge but instead of just giving out continental breakfast, they said you could spend up to $50 on their regular menu.
Thanks! I'll update the sticky.

Cheers.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
Thanks! I'll update the sticky.

Cheers.
Yeah I think it was already in there as $46 or something? Pretty sure they said $50, hopefully they weren't just rounding up :-)
Old Jan 21, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Does anyone have current lounge hours for the Marriott Marquis? thanks !
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:12 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium Elite, United LT 1M Gold
Location advice for Atlanta

I'm looking at a short trip to the Atlanta area in March. It will be the first trip there for my wife and we'll likely to the typical tourist stuff - Coke Exhibit, CNN, Stone Mountain (maybe), shopping, etc.

For a combination of reasons I'm looking at these properties:

Residence Inn Atlanta Buckhead
Residence Inn Atlanta Buckhead/Lenox Park
Atlanta Marriott Century Center/Emory Area
Renaissance Atlanta Waverly Hotel & Convention Center

I'd appreciate advice on the locations as much as the hotels. I've searched and found some property info but if you are familiar with the traffic patterns, etc. (we will have a car) and could comment on the location with respect to what we'll do I'd very much appreciate the comments. And if you have any recent stays at the property that would also be helpful. I am platinum with Marriott and this will be a points stay.

Thanks,
Bruce
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:46 am
Used to be hamajicky

Honestly, for the things you've listed you want to do, none of those locations are great. However, if you are married to that list, the order you have them in is probably best.

It seems like you are needing to stay at lower tier properties. I don't know the point requirements off hand, but I'd look into the Residence Inn downtown, the Residence Inn by Georgia Tech, the Courtyard downtown, or the Courtyard by Georgia Tech.

Buckhead is really only good for shopping--no "sites" to see there. The Lenox Park location is in a really sleepy (at night) office park. The Century Center is by nothing except I-85, and the Renaissance Waverly is way out in Cobb County, which is again, not near anything worth seeing.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 11:56 am

Thanks - it's a combination of points and the high cost of paying for parking. There are some closer properties but onsite parking is high. Our usual mode for this type of trip is to do something during the day, head back to the hotel and relax for the evening - we're not much for nightlife so not being near things at night isn't much of an issue.

Bruce
Old Feb 2, 2015, 12:27 pm
Used to be hamajicky

Well, I think then traffic wise, you are best off staying at the Lenox Park location. You can get to I-85 easily from there, which can get you downtown quickly (as long as it's not between 7-9:30am and 4-7pm). I don't know about Stone Mountain, as I've never been there, but once you get on the Stone Mountain highway I've heard traffic can be bad during the same times.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 1:22 pm

Thanks!
Old Feb 2, 2015, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by BruceWG
It will be the first trip there for my wife and we'll likely to the typical tourist stuff - Coke Exhibit, CNN, Stone Mountain (maybe), shopping, etc.

That RI (2960 Piedmont Road NE) is a short drive from the Atlanta History Center, the Atlanta Botantical Garden and the Buckhead malls (Lenox and Phillips Plaza). It would be a good choice if you're interested in those attractions.

The negative would be that it can be maddening to go the seemingly short distance (~6 miles on I-85) from it to downtown (where CNN, Coke, & the Aquarium are) on weekends if there are several big events going on. It is also an old-style RI -- separate buildings, with 4 rooms to a building (if I'm remembering it correctly.)
Old Feb 3, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Platinum Member, Starwood, Hilton Honors
Originally Posted by BruceWG
I'm looking at a short trip to the Atlanta area in March. It will be the first trip there for my wife and we'll likely to the typical tourist stuff - Coke Exhibit, CNN, Stone Mountain (maybe), shopping, etc.

Residence Inn Atlanta Buckhead/Lenox Park
Atlanta Marriott Century Center/Emory Area
Renaissance Atlanta Waverly Hotel & Convention Center

I'd appreciate advice on the locations as much as the hotels. I've searched and found some property info but if you are familiar with the traffic patterns, etc. (we will have a car) and could comment on the location with respect to what we'll do I'd very much appreciate the comments. And if you have any recent stays at the property that would also be helpful. I am platinum with Marriott and this will be a points stay.

Thanks,
Bruce

This should be a great trip for the both of you!

A list of some of the sites.....CNN, Coke Exhibit, Georgia Aquarium, Martin Luther King, Jr. Historic Center, Centennial Park, Phillips Arena (Atlanta Hawks), Peachtree Center Mall, etc. If your planning to visit these areas, then staying in Downtown Atlanta maybe convenient for you.

Another shopping mall that's very popular in the area is Lenox Square Mall in Buckhead Atlanta. Getting from Downtown Atlanta to Buckhead District of Atlanta is about a 35 minute drive up Peachtree Street/Road depending on traffic. Hotels near Lenox Square Mall are the J.W. Marriott and the Atlanta Marriott Buckhead, both on Lenox Road which is walking distance to Lenox Square Mall, although traffic can be heavy.

Personally, I have preferred staying in Midtown Atlanta usually at the Residence Inn Midtown/Georgia Tech location on West Peachtree Street. I understand that they just finished major renovations 5 months ago. There is also the Marriott Midtown Suites on 14th Street. In my opinion, these particluar areas are not as conjested as staying in Downtown or Buckhead.

The Midtown District also has FOX Theater which hosts live entertainment for many groups and/or celebrities.

From Midtown, it's about a 10-15 minute drive to the sites in Downtown Atlanta and about a 25 minute drive to Buckhead (again, depending on traffic).

Hope this helps!

Last edited by Marcell; Feb 3, 2015 at 11:06 am
Old Feb 3, 2015, 12:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold
Marriott-family Hotels in Atlanta, GA

I'm having the almost same question. Going to ATL around Memorial Day. Planning to split my stay 3 nights ATL, 2 nights Charleston or Savannah (not sure which city is more interresting) and 2 more nights in ATL before heading back to Europe.

As with you, Coke and CNN are musts, as well as planning shopping in the outlets and the traditional (more upscale) malls.

At this time, I have reservations at the Renaissance Concourse Atlanta airport (first 3 nights) and the Marriott Perimeter Center (last 2 nights). Both had very reasonable rates of well under 100$. I chose those properties not only because of their rates but also because their lounge is closed and they offer full breakfast to Plats.

Of course, staying in Buckhead seems like a better option but I haven't had time yet to look for LNF rates in this area and wanted to guarantee the cheap rates. Anything wrong with the location or the properties I chose?

The Marquis and the Glenn were also cheap but the area seems even less desirable (high parking charges, dangerous at night).
Old Feb 3, 2015, 12:26 pm

Location: Michigan's West Coast and wherever my clients need me
Programs: Delta Diamond (2+M MQMs), Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Chalky White
Well, I think then traffic wise, you are best off staying at the Lenox Park location. You can get to I-85 easily from there, which can get you downtown quickly (as long as it's not between 7-9:30am and 4-7pm). I don't know about Stone Mountain, as I've never been there, but once you get on the Stone Mountain highway I've heard traffic can be bad during the same times.
The Renaissance Waverly is right next to I-75 and I-285. I-75 gets you downtown in ten minutes (off-peak times) and I-285 gets you around the perimeter toward Stone Mountain in about 45 minutes. The area around the Renaissance is far less congested, as well, with shopping, restaurants (although mostly chains), etc. You are also a short distance from Marietta, which has The Square in its downtown area. This, as well as Atlanta's Midtown area, are the place to go for local shopping, restaurants, etc. Marietta is also about 10 minutes north.
Old Feb 3, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
Currently at the Renaissance Midtown. Love the room (upgraded to suite), love the view, love the location, but am somewhat annoyed with no lounge. I've gotten used to being able to go get a bottle of water, maybe even dessert in the evenings and get a quick breakfast in the morning. The breakfast certificates are down to $16 per person up to two people. The restaurant is fantastic, Community Smith if you want to google it. I looked at the dinner menu and might stop by there one night this week. The FDC said there are no plans to build a lounge. A big negative is the parking. $32/night for valet, but you can park on the street for free from 10p-7a and $2/hr other times. There are a lot of restaurants and bars within walking distance. Good size gym with multiple cardio machines. Overall I really like it, but that's in large part because I was upgraded to a suite.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.