Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Atlanta, GA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2018, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20, 2004, 6:10 am
R&R
Original Poster

Programs: 1K-UA/AA, LT PLAT-MARRIOTT(1984), HILTON-GOLD, HYATT-GOLD

Any comparisons opinions for the Marriott Suites and the Renaissance Downtown? Am planning a Thanksgiving weekend Mileage run.

It appears the Freeway entrance is very convenient for the Renaissance?

Old Oct 20, 2004, 7:10 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Suites is a few minutes from downtown, next to the Four Seasons; more of a mid-town location. As you would guess, it is an all suite property with no concierge lounge, but with coupons for plats and golds for a very nice comp breakfast. Extra charge for parking, which is indoor. Only a minute or two from a freeway entrance/exit. The suites are nice small suites with french doors that can close off the bedroom. Don't know about the Ren.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 7:53 am

Programs: UA 1k, HHonors Gold
The Ren is a good property, but nothing special. Not really walking distance to anything interesting, but there is a subway station a half block away. The freeway location is convenient if you're driving, but you do hear a lot of traffic noise in the rooms.

In my case, it's convenient to where my meetings are held, and with the AAA advance purchase rate it's cheaper than the Suites a little farther north.

YMMV.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 4:00 pm

Programs: AA,NW,UA,DL, HH GOLD, Platinum AMB IC
If you are willing to drive a few miles. The Marriott Evergreen at Stone Moutian GA right out side of Atlanta is great. I just spent the weekend there and it is really a great place . They have good food and there are some site seeing places close by.
Old Oct 20, 2004, 7:04 pm

Try the Waverly

If you don't have to be downtown, consider the Renaissance Waverly in the Marrietta area. It is one of my all time favorites, their Sunday brunch is fabulous, ranked one of the best in the country. Pretty good health club facility as well with indoor pool. If you can get the SPA rate, it comes with a 1 hour massage (or 2 - 1/2 hour ones) 2 glasses of wine in the bar and breakfast for 2 or a credit towards the brunch. If you like deep tissue massage, make sure to ask for Broderick, he is fantastic.

Wow I just talked myself into it. SPA rate is not available for Thanksgiving Day, but it is starting Friday. Maybe we'll see you there.

Last edited by cndij; Oct 20, 2004 at 7:11 pm
Old Mar 19, 2005, 10:24 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum
Question ATL Marriott Marquis

Can someone give me some updated info on this hotel, since they have done renovations?
I decided to stay here since, rate was $99 a night insted of Hilton's $199 a night.

Thanks,
jwhuffman
Old Mar 19, 2005, 11:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Haven't stayed there recently, but I've stayed at both in the past. They were comparable - ie, they're both convention hotels; 'nuf said. Biz places. Unless it's a dump (which presumably it won't be post renovation), you're saving $100/night. Go for it. Cheers. Sharon
Old Mar 20, 2005, 5:29 pm

I was at the ATL Marquis earlier this month. Quite a nice room on 42nd fl (Concierge) with a no cost upgrade, but I felt the room a little 'tired'. Their restaurants (steakhouse) is on a 'public' floor of the complex -- I had to use the men's room and it was a mess probably because it is a public area. Check in was fast and courteous. Hate to say I got an upset stomach on some sauce in the evening Concierge room snacks which ruined my dinner in the Marquis Steakhouse. Spectacular lobby atrium.
Old Mar 22, 2005, 7:58 pm
mlk

Just finished a 2-night stay, on the Concierge Level (44th floor).

My partner and I made a deal with ourselves that if we landed one of our largest prospective clients in Atlanta, we'd stay at the Marquis instead of the Renaissance. Well, we won the client, and were eagerly anticipating reaping our agreed-upon "reward"...but I have to say that I was, frankly, disappointed...

The rooms (and I had three of them the night I checked in -- first one had a rattling air conditioner -- second one had a busted shower head) were definitely a little "tired" and a bit smaller than I expected.

On the plus side, the service was terrific and the lounge on 42nd floor for Concierge-level guests has an amazing view.

We paid at least 50% more for the Marquis than we usually pay for the Renaissance, and I'd have to say it wasn't worth it. However, for $99 I would certainly stay there again.
Old Mar 30, 2005, 10:11 pm

Sounds like renovations haven't been completed

We'll be here in June, so I was hoping the rooms would be nice. Is this a nice area of Atlanta to walk around in? It's my first time to the city and I wasn't sure if I'd need a car to explore or if there is plenty to do downtown. Thanks for any advice.
Old Mar 31, 2005, 8:48 pm

The Marriott Marquis is in the corporate heart of downtown, which I find dreadfully boring.
Old Apr 1, 2005, 1:11 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Lightbulb My two cents

As others have stated the Marriott is a tired somewhat dated property.
In its hay day it was a fantastic property with a world class feel to it.
Today its in sore need of attention.The good old days (1987) there were new televisions in the bathrooms and a butler in tuxedo that checked every guest before entering the club.
The offerings were first class.Those days are long gone.
They must be forced into updating considering that only the other big time property downtown (the Hilton) wasn't renovated either .
I still prefer the Hilton over the Marriott.All the Downtown hotels are very overpriced IMO for the convention like feel to them all.
As others have said the Marquis has had a reasonably good service record over the years.
The Ritz is probably the best Downtown followed by the sharp looking redone Westin and their new impressive health club (compared to the old one).
The Hyatt Regency is looking well to since their renovation.
Though the Westin still trumps it IMO
For way more exciting hotels head out to Buckhead for the best Ritz Carlton in town or The Grand Hyatt Buckhead or even better the new Westin Buckhead formally a Swissotel (my favorite property in the city) with a great club lounge,Palm Restaraunt in lobby and the Heavenly bed.
I like Prime in the Lenox Mall or the Capitol Grille better for steaks and crabcakes then the Palm
Before 6:30 PM there is a steak special at Prime for 9.95 that is simply the best steak you will ever eat in the US for the money. ^ ^

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Apr 1, 2005 at 1:13 pm
Old Apr 3, 2005, 12:12 am

Thanks!

I was hoping for better, but we are stuck here for a week for a conference. I'll be with my husband and he will be busy during the days, so I'll have a lot of free time, so I better get a car and get out of town since I don't want to just stick around conference attendees and boring places all day. I think a friend may try to come visit from SC, so that will be especially nice. If time allows, I'd love to drive to Savannah. Is it a day trip?
Old Apr 3, 2005, 8:41 am

Programs: Delta platinum Marriott Plat. Avis Preferred US Air Platinum
You can hop on the trains (Marta) and get to many places to shop or dine without renting a car.

Savannah is well worth going to but probably 4.5 hours away. To me, this is a long drive for a day trip. Chattanooga might be an interesting day trip, as well as Birmingham.

Hope your visit is good. Atlanta is a great town, but traffic is horrendous.
Old Apr 3, 2005, 9:25 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

It is still a satisfactory property in the downtown that is well located.Yes the hotel can use some updating.
There is much worse in town and I would have no problems staying there myself.
Their regular overpricing of rooms is what keeps me away along with superior point,mile earning opportunity elsewhere.
Not to mention Faster Free nights with Hyatt(coming up again in June) That combined usually has me avoiding most Marriotts.

FYI Off topic When I last stayed at the JW Marriott in Buckhead I was also very surprised how that too left very much to be desired.
The room was very dated ,not clean and very expensive.
Though nods to a good location,reasonably good club lounge and a Hertz desk in the lobby .Very Handy
I can't wait for the new W Hotel to open across the street.
It will be one of the top hotels in town and certainly give them the JW a run for the money.
The whole Marriott family of brands are in need of a lot of work systemwide simply because the bar has been raised by others.
Mediocre cookie cutter rooms with dirty comforters, thin sheets,no opening windows, bad in room amenities ,no mini bar,heavy useage of perfumed cover up sprays, and sky high rates has got to go.
For what is essentially many a 3 star property and below for hundreds of dollars a night in many cases.

I actually like certain select Marriotts very much and many of the nice folks that work for the company.
I am holding out hope for their new bed and linen launch and any other updates that come our way.
It is always a program and hotel company that I watch closely despite having seen them fallen out of a step over the years.
They are also very nickle and dime with their pathetic attempt at making customers pay for a call to their contact center to ask questions or inquire about their accounts after all these years.Very strange if you ask me.
I still look up to much of what they have done through hospitality history regardless of the comments stated above.
And for many the name feels very safe knowing what usually to expect.
Sorry for my documentary here Have a great stay down South!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.