Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort, Orlando [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Lake Buena Vista Resort, Orlando [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2007, 3:31 pm

Thumbs down I wouldn't recommend the Sheraton Safari Hotel

We stayed back in December 2006 for 1 night. It was so awful we left and had our points transferred to the Studio City Sheraton for the rest of our stay. The rooms were like an embassy suite layout. They are old and dingy (which they blamed on the "Safari theme" and the mattress was so broken down I had to put a pillow underneath my body to sleep on. The "Executive Suites" we received was located directly under the linen room and the carts were rolling loudly back and forth during the afternoon. When I discussed the situation with the manager on duty at 7:00 AM the next morning (because I couldn't sleep the bed was so bad) they set up the points to be transferred and gave us breakfast for free. I also thought they would put my points back in my account for that one night but they kept them. I inquired about that and the manager sent me a letter stating that was not apart of the comp. They were keeping those points. It was the worst hotel stay I've ever had. Unless they renovated and I mean tear the building down and rebuild, I wouldn't go back. The room doors are also on the outside not on an interior hall.
Old Mar 2, 2007, 8:04 pm
Suspended

I stayed at the Safari last year and will never go back. It took 45 minutes to check in...at 9:00 at night...with 1 person in front of me. The room they gave me already had someone in it, and the small dirty room finally given for platinum guests was noisy.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 4:11 pm

Thumbs up Great Stay

Stayed at the Sheraton Safari hotel 04/04/07-04/09/07 Had an absolutely fantastic expirence.4pm Check in was a breeze. Counter was empty so was the spg gold/Plat line .As a gold I was invited to SPG welcome/cocktail hour it was very nice with a tropical theme.I was also given 2 comp ticks for drinks at the Monkey bar.I used starpoints to book executive suite (759 sq ft with a full kitchen )well in advance ,the hotel was completely sold out and I knew there would be little chance for a decent upgrade.The lobby ,pool area , grounds all very well maintained with the safari theme consistant .The room exceeded my expectations for a cat 2. Nice furnishings also with the safari theme only negative here is it could have been a little more well lit.The pool area was great no complaints kids loved it they had a giant snake slide but it was a litte to chilly for me as air temps were in the low 70's .I can't say enough about the staff ,every staff member was pleasant friendly and always greeted you with a hello.The Manager Jeffrey Binda checked on us throught out our stay always asking if everything was well. There was a female manager (sorry forgot her name ) who gave my son a chocolate easter bunny this was a welcoming touch that management didn't have to do.Restaurant and room service prices were reasonable for families,service and food was good.Location was great 1/8 of a mile from the gates of Disney.Lots of restaurants and stores in walking distance.There was a free shuttle to Disney.Did a rapid checkout and forgot my cooler called the hotel it arrived today via UPS with all the contents entact.I would recommend this hotel to families. Sevice was great on one of the busiest weeks of the year.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
I just booked a room thier for next week. I will do a trip report when I get back.
Old Sep 30, 2007, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, GPP Silver
Please do post a trip report troyintn. I've got a stay booked here in late Oct. and the post so far are divided on the quality of this property.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 9:10 am

Please do post a trip report troyintn, too

1 got 2 offer for this hotel:

149 USD + TAX on spg (maybe with Plat. Upgrade and free Plat. breakfast????)
89 USD incl. TAX on my traveloffice (prepaid, no cancel)

Is there a rentcar office on (or near by) the hotelarea?
How long is the transfer to Epcot?
Can i by "one-day" Tickets at the hotel?
How much ist the transfer (time+ USD) from MCO airport?
How easy is the transfer by rentcar, after long-distance flight (wrong bookingclass!) at sunday 9pm.

Thanks
Ramle
Old Oct 3, 2007, 3:35 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott
The two times I've been at this hotel, I've gotten a Suite for the low-$100's I paid a night. It's a mediocre Sheraton, but it's situated pretty good. Staff is friendly on checkin. I don't do much other than sleep in this room, so the fact it isn't a W or a Westin didn't bother me.

It's 5 minutes from Downtown Disney/Pleasure Island, about ~15 minutes to/from all of the Disney parks via car (I believe they have a shuttle if you want). Rent a car from the airport, as everything is spread out.

The Hotel sells tickets... at the Timeshare desk. We listened to their pitch, and decided to buy at the park. No need to waste time to save a few bucks

MCO is pretty busy, I'm sure you won't have a problem getting a car at 9pm at the large agencies.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 4:16 pm

I stayed here a couple of years ago, by "stay" I mean I checked in went to my room took one look around and immediately went and checked out and went to the Westin in Downtown.

The place was a complete dump. I agree with the previous post, unless they have torn the building down and rebuilt it or did a major refurb I wouldn't go there. I was surprised they can call this place a sheraton. Only positive I could see was the location but then there are plenty of hotels much closer to disney that are far superior.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 4:23 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by cpsri99
. Only positive I could see was the location but then there are plenty of hotels much closer to disney that are far superior.
I agree, but the Swan is sold out next week.
Old Oct 3, 2007, 5:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott
Originally Posted by cpsri99
I stayed here a couple of years ago, by "stay" I mean I checked in went to my room took one look around and immediately went and checked out and went to the Westin in Downtown.

The place was a complete dump. I agree with the previous post, unless they have torn the building down and rebuilt it or did a major refurb I wouldn't go there. I was surprised they can call this place a sheraton. Only positive I could see was the location but then there are plenty of hotels much closer to disney that are far superior.

If you're looking for a 4 or 5 star hotel, it is not that. Good gosh, can't you tell that from the freaking price? It's not a dump for $100ish a night. Go plunk down $250+ at the Swan if you want something nicer, or even better, the Ritz-Carlton Grande Lakes.

Westin Downtown (isn't that the gaudy Bohemian which left Starwood, and part of that stupid Kessler spam-happy company? Good riddance) is what, a good 30-45 minutes away from all the parks?
Old Nov 13, 2007, 8:56 am

Programs: AA PP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Nat ExecElite, WN CP
Just wanted to see how the stay went troyintn??

Headed to MCO in a few weeks and need to decide where to stay.

Thanks
Old Nov 13, 2007, 9:44 am

This is a level 2 hotel so it is just not comparable or on the same level as the Swan or other higher rated properties. It is very convenient to Disney and is designed for budget family travel - ergo, there are lots of families there and the rooms can get beat up in a hurry. The suites are the two room embassy suite type but not as fresh, clean, or nice. But the rooms are half the price of Embassy Suites - taking into account the Plat upgrad. Place is large and hectic, breakfast buffet is the standard issue so the kids should find something they like. If you are seeking personal service or special attention this is not the place. You will need to go elswehere and pay more if that is what you desire. Bottom line, if you are on a budget try the Safari. If your focus is to fully enjoy the Disney experience, pay more and go to the Swan which has a fabulous location, is upscale with both boats and busses to Disney.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 9:25 pm

Programs: WN A-List, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Find me a better Cat 2 SPG Hotel

My family and I are here for Thanksgiving at Disney on SPG Points. I had booked this trip in the summer but had recently been spooked by reading some of the reviews on this and other threads. But, we've checked-in and were upgraded to a suite, and I just don't understand what all the fuss is about.

This property is fine. Very pleasant, helpful hotel staff. The hotel is in good condition, nothing incredible, but fine. Everyone just needs to realize this is a category 2 hotel. Personally, I haven't been at a category 2 hotel in the SPG family that is better on a combined location/quality basis.

Just my opinion...

-cwillyg
Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:15 am

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
Walking distance of Sheraton Safari Orlando?

Anyone know what is within walking distance of the Sheraton Safari Orlando (Lake Buena Vista)? Especially interested in (1) restaurants, incl fast food; (2) convenience stores; (3) grocery stores.

I have searched the threads and read the different views of the worth of this property....this is where we're staying for our Disney visit, and we're not changing, so no further reviews please.

Don't want to be overly scared by bad ones, or overly heartened by good ones. This is just one of those times where that trite phrase "it is what it is" will have to apply.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Delta Hog; Jan 17, 2008 at 10:19 am Reason: clarity
Old Jan 17, 2008, 10:19 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
well it is located on busy 535, you can walk across the street and there is the Ale House, Macaroni Grill, Chilis, 7/11, Shoney's and Walgreens. Also on the same side of the Road there is an Olive Garden, Sizzler, Steak N Shake, some mexican joint, pizza hut. Not that close to a grocery store unless you want a little walk down to the Winn Dixie.

Do you have a car?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.