Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Ka'anapali Ocean resort villas [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Ka'anapali Ocean resort villas [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2010, 9:12 am

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Plat
Only the North Studios have full lanais.

The pools at the Villas are good, but the pools at the resort are GREAT!

Originally Posted by cawhite99
Hi happy2traveler202,

I have read that the South (original) side villas have step out lanais and that the North (newer) side villas have full lanais. I have read that the North as better "island" or "mountain" views, as well.

Can someone confirm?

Carole
Old May 30, 2010, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by jnswinnipeg
Only the North Studios have full lanais.

The pools at the Villas are good, but the pools at the resort are GREAT!
We have a step out lanai here in the South building (bldg 3). Have a picture--will upload later.

Just did a run from the WKORV to the Hyatt with a stop at the Sheraton and Westin (we generally rotate our stays through these properties depending on the rates and times of year--Sheraton during the winter for the better whale viewing from the rooms because of a better chance of oceanview upgrades). The pool here at the WKORV ranks second in my book of the three *woods. Westin has the best pool, followed by the Villas, and trailed (a distant third) by the Sheraton. Running through the Sheraton pool was kind of depressing. Also the pool looks oldest of the three (and probably is).

We also revisited the waterslide at the Villas yesterday. The slide at the Westin is definitely faster--much better for teens and kids. The slide here is manini in comparison.

If the pool is really the deciding factor and there's no brand loyalty while in the Islands, one should consider the Grand Wailea over on the other side of the island, the HWV on the Big Island, or the GH Poipu over on Kauai. These properties have pretty incredible pools.

Last edited by slippahs; May 30, 2010 at 2:15 pm
Old May 30, 2010, 3:30 pm

Thanks, slippahs, for the detailed description of the pools at each property. That's exactly the info. I was looking for. I did call the Villas today and they told me their pool slide is "just like a regular slide in a home pool"... but that the pools at the Villas were nice and rennovated about a year ago.

Our kids would LOVE for us to stay at the Grand Wailea, however we're staying on Starwood points. We should have stayed at the GW last time we were on Maui (2004) as the prices were high, but not as high as they are now. Since becoming a Waldorf Astoria property the price seems to have really gone up.

I guess I should check into trading Starwood points for Hilton Honors points... not sure of a mechanism to do that. It would be nice to stay on the South side of Maui this time, too, since the scuba diving we'll be doing will likely leave from there.

Carole
Old May 31, 2010, 7:10 pm

Refrigerators

[QUOTE=cawhite99;14045418] Certainly there would be a lot more room in the villa refrigerators... and we could have eggs, french toast, etc. We won't be doing any cooking for dinner.

Carole,

When I called the villas personally and asked about the rooms we get for the 12,000 Starpoints, I was told that the refrigerators in those rooms are the small ones, but there is a kitchenette.

Val
Old May 31, 2010, 7:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by orisky
I can't speak for the hotel as I've never stayed there, but for the two villa properties, each has 2 hot tub giving you 4 to choose from. The South property has one large pool with a water slide and a little kiddie pool. The North property has one pool, but it feels like two as its separated by a bridge. They also have a kiddie pool with a pirate ship that's fun for toddlers.
The North property has two pools; the larger one (described above as appearing to be two pools) and an adult pool located next to the BBQ area and Building 8.
Old May 31, 2010, 7:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by cawhite99
Certainly there would be a lot more room in the villa refrigerators... and we could have eggs, french toast, etc. We won't be doing any cooking for dinner.

Carole,

When I called the villas personally and asked about the rooms we get for the 12,000 Starpoints, I was told that the refrigerators in those rooms are the small ones, but there is a kitchenette.

Val
The refrigerator may not be as large as the refrigerator in the 1BR but it is not a dorm-sized refrigerator. It qualifies for the label "full-size".
Old May 31, 2010, 9:03 pm

Programs: UAL, Marriot Bonvoy
Originally Posted by controller1
The North property has two pools; the larger one (described above as appearing to be two pools) and an adult pool located next to the BBQ area and Building 8.
You're right, I completely forgot about that one, even though I stayed in Building 8 and walked by that pool. If I recall, it's not a very good pool as the sun is blocked by the buildings most of the day.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by orisky
You're right, I completely forgot about that one, even though I stayed in Building 8 and walked by that pool. If I recall, it's not a very good pool as the sun is blocked by the buildings most of the day.
You're right. It gets sun maybe three hours a day and with its location it can be like hurricane central when the wind is blowing.
Old Jun 1, 2010, 8:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K GS 1MM, AA GOLD 1MM, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Silver, National EC Executive
I received the following offer from SPG (through UA GS I think since I don't stay at Starwood properties and have no SPG points). I would like to hear thoughts about whether it's a good offer

6 days 5 nights at an Island View Villa (Studio I believe) for $849. This includes 7000 SPG points and 185 towards an Avis Car Rental.

Offer does not say anything about having to attend a time share presentation. It has to be reserved by June 18 and valid for travel within a year. Not transferable and non-refundable.

What do you think? is this a good value given all the restrictions?

I have a 3 year old and an infant - will we have a good time there?

thanks
Old Jun 1, 2010, 8:43 pm

Anyone know of similar offers that are open to anyone?

Originally Posted by nirajashah
I received the following offer from SPG (through UA GS I think since I don't stay at Starwood properties and have no SPG points). I would like to hear thoughts about whether it's a good offer

6 days 5 nights at an Island View Villa (Studio I believe) for $849. This includes 7000 SPG points and 185 towards an Avis Car Rental.

Offer does not say anything about having to attend a time share presentation. It has to be reserved by June 18 and valid for travel within a year. Not transferable and non-refundable.

thanks
Old Jun 1, 2010, 8:44 pm

You definitely will have a good time, but find the Studio small with two kids. We stayed with our son who was 16 months at the time in a one-bedroom and loved it. The kids pool is great!

thanks
Old Jun 1, 2010, 9:00 pm

It sure sounds like a good deal to me, being that the rooms run $309 before taxes. I think taxes are 12% so $346 X 5 = $1,730. The SPG points are worth between $70 - $120 depending how you use them. Remember you will have to pay parking too.

By the way, what is UA GS? I would like to hear more about this offer. How did you get the offer? Phone, email, mail...? Sounds like a winner!
Old Jun 2, 2010, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by dvwing
By the way, what is UA GS? I would like to hear more about this offer. How did you get the offer? Phone, email, mail...? Sounds like a winner!
UA GS is United Airlines Global Services, an invitation-only elite level of United Airlines.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 1:48 am

Programs: UA 1K GS 1MM, AA GOLD 1MM, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Silver, National EC Executive
Originally Posted by dvwing
It sure sounds like a good deal to me, being that the rooms run $309 before taxes. I think taxes are 12% so $346 X 5 = $1,730. The SPG points are worth between $70 - $120 depending how you use them. Remember you will have to pay parking too.

Thanks for the calculation... the offer came to me by mail and has to be responded to by phone or email only.

UA GS = United Global Services. As part of that (I believe) I received automatic Gold Level in the SPG Program. Unfortunately my travels don't get me to stay at a Westin or Sheraton so I never accumulated any points
Old Jun 5, 2010, 12:38 pm

anyone knows how to get this offer?. T.I.A.

thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.