Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Ka'anapali Ocean resort villas [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Ka'anapali Ocean resort villas [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2006, 11:28 am

This is our last day at The Westin KOR. We've been here two weeks and the days flew by.

Outstanding stay! Can't say enough about this place. I was sorry to read some other's not-so-good experiences. Luckily, we had none of that.

Sure, there are some extra lounge chairs out there. Hey! It's president's week!! They put lounge chairs on a lawn area exactly twice the entire 14 days we've been here. At least there's always a lounge chair available! I've stayed on plenty of other places during holiday weeks and people have to wake up early to ensure they get a chair.... they're like animals.

In fact, I believe this is the ONLY place I've EVER stayed at where we were able to find available lounge chairs at any time during the day during a prime holiday week.

Food was great. People were great. Facilities were great.

The one thing I'd say could be bad would be if you were facing the construction. We faced the pool and never heard a thing. I could easily imagine how looking out at construction and hearing the noise could color the entire vacation negatively.
Old Apr 5, 2006, 4:25 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat/P100, UA 1K 1MM
Originally Posted by iggyv
Note to Travel Mama: You might consider writing to the property manager
I had as similiar experience as Travel Mama did, do you happen have the contact information for the property manager there? Emails to SPG and SVO customer service have yielded no reply at all.

Thanks!
Old Apr 5, 2006, 5:00 pm

Programs: AA PLT (1MM); SPG GLD
Originally Posted by dmbfan222
I had as similiar experience as Travel Mama did, do you happen have the contact information for the property manager there? Emails to SPG and SVO customer service have yielded no reply at all.
Did you try this page?
http://www.westinkaanapali.com/contactus.htm
Old Apr 5, 2006, 5:23 pm

I'm sorry some of you have had problems at KOR. I've stayed there three times (summer 04 & 05 and January 06 and I couldn't have been happier. The staff has always been great, we've had great rooms with good views and weren't much bothered by the construction. We love Maui and usually go there for two weeks at a time combined with another island for a third week. Each island has its charm. I'd go to either Molokai or Lanai for a day , as suggested, or for a longer stay I'd go to Kauai since you already saw the Big Island.

I'll be giving Oahu a second chance this summer since the first time I visited I really disliked Waikiki and didn't stay long enough to see the rest of the island.
Old May 28, 2010, 9:30 am

Question WKORV or Westin Resort with older teens?

Hi everyone,

Has anyone stayed at the WKORV recently with older teens? My husband and I, and 2 teenagers (high school and college aged) will be on Maui for 5 nights after a 5 night stay on Waikiki Beach (Westin Moana Surfrider). We will be staying on Starwood points.

We currently have a reservation at the Westin Maui Resort, which we think the kids will like because of it's pools and proximity to Whaler's Village. I am thinking, however, that it would also be nice to stay at the WKORV as we'd have a lager place and a washer and dryer, which might be needed by day 6. We wouldn't be cooking if we stayed at the WKORV... but a larger refrigerator for snacks is always a plus.

I know there is a shuttle from WKORV to Whaler's Village and to Lahaina but do you think our teens would just prefer to stay at the Westin Resort instead where they can walk everywhere? How are the pools at the WKORV (we would request the North side)?

We stayed at Marriott's Maui Ocean Club on our last vacation to Maui and we all really liked that part of Ka'anapali Beach.

Thanks.

Carole
Old May 28, 2010, 10:24 am

Programs: AC Elite, SPG Plat
I don't have teenagers, but if I did I would prefer to be at the hotel as it has more pool options and the dining options at Whalers Village. I have a young family and for us the Villas is the best, but we don't want to eat out for every meal and the laundry is a must for us.

Originally Posted by cawhite99
Hi everyone,

Has anyone stayed at the WKORV recently with older teens? My husband and I, and 2 teenagers (high school and college aged) will be on Maui for 5 nights after a 5 night stay on Waikiki Beach (Westin Moana Surfrider). We will be staying on Starwood points.

We currently have a reservation at the Westin Maui Resort, which we think the kids will like because of it's pools and proximity to Whaler's Village. I am thinking, however, that it would also be nice to stay at the WKORV as we'd have a lager place and a washer and dryer, which might be needed by day 6. We wouldn't be cooking if we stayed at the WKORV... but a larger refrigerator for snacks is always a plus.

I know there is a shuttle from WKORV to Whaler's Village and to Lahaina but do you think our teens would just prefer to stay at the Westin Resort instead where they can walk everywhere? How are the pools at the WKORV (we would request the North side)?

We stayed at Marriott's Maui Ocean Club on our last vacation to Maui and we all really liked that part of Ka'anapali Beach.

Thanks.

Carole
Old May 28, 2010, 10:28 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Pools are better and more varied at the Westin Maui versus the WKORV, probably important for teens. However, the extra space, kitchen and laundry at WKORV are great pluses for families (and even couples).

I wouldn't make distance a factor. You can't get to Lahaina easily from either resort without a vehicle. And Whaler's Village is a walkable from the WKORV in about 15 minutes or less, as I recall; it's just not next door. But it is a nice beachfront walk.
Old May 28, 2010, 11:16 am

Thanks jnswinnipeg and Seattlenerd...

It sounds like we would be happier at the Westin Resort (hotel). The ability to walk up and down the beach walk and stop in at different places for music, etc. in the evenings is appealing to the adults, as well.

I said we wouldn't be cooking at the WKORV but meant we wouldn't be cooking dinner... however we probably would cook breakfast (eggs, french toast, etc.) and we'd be able to have more snack / lunch items than we could have with the small refrigerator in the Resort.

And, I didn't mention it, but we will have a car. I just thought the shuttle would be good if the kids wanted to sleep in and the adults wanted to take the car.

I guess I need to find out if there are any self-service laundry facilities near the Westin Resort and Whaler's Village. I am assuming not and we'd have to plan accordingly as we would not want to spend vacation time in Lahaina doing that.

Thanks again. I appreciate your opinions.

Carole
Old May 28, 2010, 11:48 am

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;
Hi everyone,

Thanks.

Carole

Mine preferred the Villas - they didn't like the overcrowding at the Hotel, were happy with the shuttle, and really like having a one of the 2BR's to themselves.
Old May 28, 2010, 12:13 pm

Thanks, mbreuer. I appreciate it.

What we are able to get for 12,000 points per night (5th night free) is a studio. It has a King bed and pull-out sofa. The kids really don't prefer sofa beds but that is what it comes with. I should have mentioned that in my original posting.

Carole
Old May 28, 2010, 12:24 pm

Thanks, mbreuer. I appreciate it.

What we are able to get for 12,000 points per night (5th night free) is a studio. It has a King bed and pull-out sofa. The kids really don't prefer sofa beds but that is what it comes with. I should have mentioned that in my original posting.

Carole

Tough call then... depends on what you'd get in the hotel. If you do stay at the Villas get roll-away beds (you can fit at least 1, maybe 2) vs. the sofabed.
Old May 28, 2010, 12:30 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by mbreuer
Tough call then... depends on what you'd get in the hotel. If you do stay at the Villas get roll-away beds (you can fit at least 1, maybe 2) vs. the sofabed.
Being an owner, I'm quite familiar with the two Ocean Resort Villas properties on Maui. Two roll-aways? If they fit, and I don't think they will in the studio villa, it would literally be wall-to-wall beds with no walking space.

Personally, two adults with two teens needs the two-bedroom lockoff. But that's my opinion.
Old May 28, 2010, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by controller1
Being an owner, I'm quite familiar with the two Ocean Resort Villas properties on Maui. Two roll-aways? If they fit, and I don't think they will in the studio villa, it would literally be wall-to-wall beds with no walking space.

Personally, two adults with two teens needs the two-bedroom lockoff. But that's my opinion.
Also an owner, totally agree... but if they can't do the 2BR or even 1BR, then at least one roll-away would improve the situation for the teens (although the nightly argument about who gets the sofa vs. the rollaway is something to be carefully avoided).
Old May 28, 2010, 2:02 pm

Thanks controller1.

I just called SPG and was told a 1 BR would be double the points of a studio... 24,000 per night. That is more than we'd prefer to spend. Not sure how many points would be required for a 2 BR.

Apparently the studios are 470 sq ft. The 1 BR's are 760 sq. ft.

Carole
Old May 28, 2010, 3:26 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, HiltonHHonors Silver, Marriott Silver, Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by controller1
We are a family of four, with 18 and 16 year old daughters, and we fit very comfortably in a 1 bdrm.

BTW, we've found that hide-a-beds are much more comfortable when you take the mattress off and place it on the floor. What makes it uncomfortable is the lack of support and bar in the middle of your back.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.