Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Ka'anapali Ocean resort villas [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Ka'anapali Ocean resort villas [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2010, 5:34 am

cawhite99:

I had stayed at both properties last year with my 2 boys (under 7). The studio is virtually twice the size of the standard Westin Maui room. The Westin Maui room is painfully cramp. They put one rollaway bed in the room and there literally was no space whatsoever. The kitchen, washer/dryer, huge bathroom, large balcony was a major plus. The downside is that you absolutely must checkin after 3pm and checkout strictly by 10pm. The mini waterslide they have here is very small and unexciting. Also, Starwood status has no meaning here.

The pools at the Westin Maui would definitely keep the teens busy especially the waterslide. My 6 year old would go on that waterslide all day and I went right along with him and I can honestly say, we never tired of it.

We are heading back to Maui this August and will choose the Villas mainly because of the room size comparison and the benefit of the kitchen at the villas. It just works for us.
Old May 29, 2010, 11:08 am

Thanks, Mahalo. It's such a tough choice since we typically do not stay in the room very much when we vacation. And the rooms can't be smaller than the tents we sleep in when we go camping! :-) Sort of kidding on that one.

Anyway, our kids will love the pool and slides at the Westin, I'm certain. We stayed at Marriott's Maui Ocean Resort a few years ago and they had a great time at the pool there. The Westin pools look even better.

I guess most people care more about the beach than the pool... but we live a mile from the beach here in San Diego, so they can go to the beach anytime at home. While on Maui, when they hit the ocean, it will primarily be for scuba diving.

We're also hoping to get a late check out since our return flight from OGG to SAN is at 10:30 p.m. I was assuming we could request one at the Westin Resort (even with just my gold spg status).

But I still like the thought of a washer / dryer at the Villas.

Decision, decisions....
Old May 29, 2010, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
Originally Posted by Mahalo
The downside is that you absolutely must checkin after 3pm and checkout strictly by 10pm. The mini waterslide they have here is very small and unexciting. Also, Starwood status has no meaning here.

We are heading back to Maui this August and will choose the Villas mainly because of the room size comparison and the benefit of the kitchen at the villas. It just works for us.
We're at the villas now. Booked an Island Studio and was upgraded to an Oceanview Studio (in the past, I've also received the same upgrade when staying in a studio, but never when staying in a 1BR), so I'm not sure status has no meaning here. They were strict on the 10 a.m. departure though. A studio at the villas work well for us as a couple because we can just make a quick run to Times/Safeway and cook our dinners, since we can essentially get the same types of foods back home and have tried a number of the restaurants here on this side of Maui. We've previously been in a 1BR and found that size probably more accommodating for families. If having to use the foldout in the studio, there really isn't that much space.

I still believe the villas are best Starwood hotel in the Ka`anapali area for what it offers, despite the 10 a.m. checkout. The Sheraton is probably most responsive to status and has amazing Oceanfront rooms, and the Westin has the best pool.
Old May 29, 2010, 6:23 pm

Smile I am going in October...

I am also using 12,000 Starwood points to stay 4 nights with the 5th one free. I have a 17, 13 & 10 year old. I have also been debating between the villas and resort. I called the villas and spoke to someone who actually is there, not a call center. She told me that the pools in both properties have water slides and are about equal. There are more hot tubs at the villas. At the resort there is a resort fee of about $26 a day that includes parking and a free rollaway. The problem is that they won't allow a rollaway in those rooms for 12,000 points. The villas have no resort fee but a $7 parking and $5rollaway fee. The resort doesn't have dishes or a microwave or washer & dryer, but the villas do. You can also get board games to play at the villas and there are grills to use if you want to cook out. The lady told me that we would like the villas more than the resort. Because it is bigger and has more to offer, that is the one we will be choosing.
Old May 29, 2010, 8:33 pm

westin maui ka'anapali ocean villas question

I'm planning on a one week stay next summer at the westin maui ka'anapali ocean villas in a studio without an ocean view. Do any of the studios have a balcony? Does any building have better villas than other ones? Should I request a particular building? I'm using points and cash, so do I have any chance in June 2011 of getting a requested building? Thanks!
Old May 29, 2010, 8:37 pm

Thanks, dvwing - I didn't think the pools were almost the same... but good to have that input too.

Our (only) 2 reasons for staying in the Resort, instead of the Villas, would be: (1) better pools, and (2) proximity to Whaler's Village since I'm sure the kids will want to wander over there to go to the food court for afternoon snacks like ice cream and sub-sandwiches, etc.

Maybe I should also call WKORV and see what they tell me about the pools....
Old May 29, 2010, 9:14 pm

Hi happy2traveler202,

I have read that the South (original) side villas have step out lanais and that the North (newer) side villas have full lanais. I have read that the North as better "island" or "mountain" views, as well.

Can someone confirm?

Carole

Last edited by cawhite99; May 29, 2010 at 9:20 pm
Old May 29, 2010, 9:30 pm

Better Pools

From what I researched and read, the resort does have better pools, but the lady at the villas told me that they were about the same, she also said they have more hot tubs at the villas. I don't know because I have never been there.

We are renting a car, so the walking to other places isn't an issue for us. We, like you, wanted the resort because we thought the pool would be more fun for 3 kids. But when it comes down to it, we really need the extra space the villas can give us, plus the washer and dryer and more of a kitchenette. That will save us a lot, if we can eat breakfast and lunch in our room and dinners out. We may have to sacrifice a little nicer pool for a better room. I also heard that the resort has a very small room and only 2 double beds. My husband is tall and a king (villa) will be much better for us.

As far as the location of the room, I too, would like to know where the best place is to request my room.
Old May 29, 2010, 10:25 pm

Check this out

Carole,

It sounds to me like you have already decided in your own mind where you want to stay, but here are some links that may help, just in case you are still trying to decide.

http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mrwestin.html

http://www.wizardpub.com/maui/mrwest...paliocean.html
Old May 29, 2010, 10:48 pm

Programs: SPG gold, Marriott platinum
Originally Posted by cawhite99
Hi happy2traveler202,

I have read that the South (original) side villas have step out lanais and that the North (newer) side villas have full lanais. I have read that the North as better "island" or "mountain" views, as well.

Can someone confirm?

Carole
These are both correct. My wife and I have stayed in studios at both sides and the north's full lanai is nicer. Also the south side does have the notorious highway view rooms as some of their island view rooms in building 4.
Old May 29, 2010, 11:02 pm

Hi dvwing.... well, we haven't completely decided... the size of the Resort rooms are still a concern, as well. The kids think they have decided (they prefer the Resort)... I'm just trying to make the best decision for the whole family. And yes... we, too, would eat breakfasts and some lunches in the room if we were to stay in the WKORV.

Thanks for the wizardpub links. We have all 4 of the "Revealed" books that we have used over the years (older editions so I don't have all the current information).

Sb232313 - thanks for the confirmation on the accomodations @ WKORV.

Carole

Last edited by cawhite99; May 29, 2010 at 11:10 pm
Old May 30, 2010, 12:05 am

Programs: UAL, Marriot Bonvoy
Originally Posted by dvwing
From what I researched and read, the resort does have better pools, but the lady at the villas told me that they were about the same, she also said they have more hot tubs at the villas. I don't know because I have never been there.
I can't speak for the hotel as I've never stayed there, but for the two villa properties, each has 2 hot tub giving you 4 to choose from. The South property has one large pool with a water slide and a little kiddie pool. The North property has one pool, but it feels like two as its separated by a bridge. They also have a kiddie pool with a pirate ship that's fun for toddlers.
Old May 30, 2010, 12:35 am

Programs: UAL, Marriot Bonvoy
Originally Posted by cawhite99
Hi dvwing.... well, we haven't completely decided... the size of the Resort rooms are still a concern, as well.
I'd advise against putting 2 adults and 2 teens in the studio. You'll be on top of each other the entire week. The 1BR is much better for this situation. As for hotel vs villa, the full kitchen and grill will save you money. 5 days of eating out every single meal adds up. And sometimes you just want something quick, like cereal, yogurt, canned soup, etc...
Old May 30, 2010, 1:07 am

Thanks, orisky.... we will certainly consider a 1BR for the room space.

We usually do find we have enough room in hotel refrigerators for simple breakfast items (milk and yogurt, etc.) and a few lunch items (lunch meat, cheese, and mayo, etc.) for a couple of days... but nothing more. Certainly there would be a lot more room in the villa refrigerators... and we could have eggs, french toast, etc. We won't be doing any cooking for dinner.

We probably won't be doing any expensive activities (luaus, ziplining etc.) on this trip, other than a couple days of scuba diving, unless we decide to rent an airplane (hubby and I are both pilots) so our eating out budget will be a little, but certainly not entirely, relaxed. We also know most of the "cheap eats" places and will likely stop by Foodland for lunch items when we are out and about in the car.

Hmmm.... we still have a few things to ponder.

Carole

Last edited by cawhite99; May 30, 2010 at 1:12 am
Old May 30, 2010, 5:26 am

Looking at the map, it appears buildings 5, 6 and 7 are part of the newer north development. My understanding is building 8 is not available to renters. At any rate, if I'm renting a studio with an island view, between buildings 5, 6 and 7, is one preferable to the other. Thanks so much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.