Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Ka'anapali Ocean resort villas [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Ka'anapali Ocean resort villas [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2005, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA Plat, STW Plat, Hyatt Plat, Avis Pref
Thanks for the update about this wonderful property. But when do you find time do do anything but update this board? An average of 8.6 posts a day every day for the past three years!!??
Old May 25, 2005, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United MM- Marriott Titanium - Air France/KLM Flying Blue Platinum
Love that property.. can't wait to go back next year in February.. Have a one bedroom to rent if anyone interested..
Old May 25, 2005, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Location: Honolulu, Hawaiʻi [+MKK4 EBBER R577 EDSEL R577 ELKEY EXERT]
I put my pictures (only bedroom/bathroom) of this hotel on a more reliable server:

http://slippahs.smugmug.com/gallery/838824 (password: flyertalk)
Please do not reproduce photos.

This was a room that faced out toward what was then a marsh-like grassland with a supposed "ocean" view (unfortunately, the trees block the view of the ocean).

Last edited by slippahs; Mar 10, 2006 at 11:30 pm
Old Jun 14, 2005, 1:19 pm

I have read a few reviews which state that this resort gets more rain than the Sheraton / Westin area ? Is this true? (We are planning a November trip).

Also, can you walk to the Sheraton (and then the other Westin) from here? How long would it take? How often does the shuttle run?

One more thing: how far north is it? past the royal lahaina, past the maui kaanapali villas?

Last edited by chobby100; Jun 14, 2005 at 1:50 pm
Old Jun 14, 2005, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by chobby100
I have read a few reviews which state that this resort gets more rain than the Sheraton / Westin area ? Is this true? (We are planning a November trip).

Also, can you walk to the Sheraton (and then the other Westin) from here? How long would it take? How often does the shuttle run?

One more thing: how far north is it? past the royal lahaina, past the maui kaanapali villas?
Don't know about getting more rain than the Sheraton/Westin in Ka'anapali. The Westin Ka'anapali Vistas are only a stone's throw away from the main Ka'anapali district.

Stones throw might be an understatement, but the SPG hotels in the area do offer a shuttle that visits all three hotels. You can charge anything at any of the three hotels and find it on your "home" base hotel, e.g., eat at the Sheraton and charge it to your Westin Ka'anapali bill. And, you can use the pools at the other hotels as well.

Yes, the hotel is farther north than the two you mentioned. Here's a good map:
http://www.driveguidemagazines.com/maui_kaanapali.html

Good luck!

aloha
Old Jun 14, 2005, 2:55 pm

Programs: CO Gold; SPG Gold***; AvisFirst;

It's pretty close to the Shereton - hard to believe it has different weather. I'd guess at a leisurely 10 min stroll along the beach from Black Rock - probably 20 from the Westin. maps.google.com has them at about 2.9 miles apart - but it also shows the Embassy Suites in the middle of the island about 20 miles away (it's between the Sheraton and Westin Villas).
Old Jun 14, 2005, 9:15 pm

Programs: spg platinum: aa platinum
Just came back from this great property where we had already purchased an ocean front 2 bedroom site unseen. Loved it so much we purchased more weeks in the new "North" section. That is the site under construction. Our ocean front room is now selling for almost 25% more than we paid 18 months ago. We are really pleased with everything they did with the timeshare. The weather is no different at the mentioned hotels in the previous thread. The changes of amount of rain in Hawaii are mainly affected by its mountain ranges, and there is no mountain range on the beach. It is in the background of all these hotels and it why we have such great weather in the Kaanapali area!! Also the 10 minute estimate to Sheraton Blackrock is about right, and that is with our 6 year old. Then it is about 10-15 minutes from Blackrock to the Westin hotel. However you can take a quick shuttle, or drive and park for free!!

Originally Posted by mbreuer
It's pretty close to the Shereton - hard to believe it has different weather. I'd guess at a leisurely 10 min stroll along the beach from Black Rock - probably 20 from the Westin. maps.google.com has them at about 2.9 miles apart - but it also shows the Embassy Suites in the middle of the island about 20 miles away (it's between the Sheraton and Westin Villas).
Old Jun 15, 2005, 8:14 pm

Thanks for the info. How often does the shuttle run from the westin to the other westin and sheraton? The map is great - mahalo slippahs.

Swimable beach here? decent to boogie board? I've read the there is great snorkeling here, true?

Would it be really windy in Early November on that side of the island?
Old Jun 15, 2005, 9:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Thanks for the info. How often does the shuttle run from the westin to the other westin and sheraton? The map is great - mahalo slippahs.

Swimable beach here? decent to boogie board? I've read the there is great snorkeling here, true?

Would it be really windy in Early November on that side of the island?
Don't know how often the shuttle runs--good to call the hotel on that one.

The beach is swimable and very nice/clear. Snorkeling is great too, if you're up for that.
Old Jun 15, 2005, 10:03 pm

Programs: Starwood Gold, Starwood Owner - Maui and Scottsdale
The shuttle runs every 15 min. between the Villas, Sheraton, and Westin.

Very nice beach with good snorkeling and swimming - you can also walk about 15 min. down the beach to Black Rock from here. There are cabana loungers available for rent on the beach.

Nov. is the start of the rainy season, so you may have some rainy windy days.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 8:45 am

I looked up the zip code on weather.com and found a paltry 1.44 inches of rain in November. Much less than say the Kohala Coast on the BI. Not too bad.

Does *wood status matter at these *wood VO resorts? (I'm only gold fwiw)

Thanks for all of the information. I realize this is becoming more maui specific so I may move my Q's over to that forum.

Last edited by chobby100; Jun 16, 2005 at 9:18 am
Old Jun 16, 2005, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

I looked up the zip code on weather.com and found a paltry 1.44 inches of rain in November. Much less than say the Kohala Coast on the BI. Not too bad.

Does *wood status matter at these *wood VO resorts? (I'm only gold fwiw)

Thanks for all of the information. I realize this is becoming more maui specific so I may move my Q's over to that forum.
As an SPG Gold, we got nadda at the Westin Ka'anapali (aside bonus points--which I guess is all an SPG Gold really gets). Remember that many SVO owners at this hotel get SPG Gold for life any way, so you're just thrown in amongst all of them.
Old Jun 16, 2005, 12:04 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
From the SPG Terms and Conditions of Membership:

6. The following properties have limited participation with Starwood Preferred Guest. Members will earn Starpoints for all qualifying stays; however as this is a vacation villa property, upgrades, late check out, and other in-hotel benefits are not available. There are no Starpoint or airline mile redemption options for any free night or discounted awards.

Participating Properties:
1406 Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort & Villas, Lahina Maui, HI

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders
Customer Service Coordinator
Starwood Preferred Services

[email protected]
Old Jun 16, 2005, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by Starwood Lurker
From the SPG Terms and Conditions of Membership:

6. The following properties have limited participation with Starwood Preferred Guest. Members will earn Starpoints for all qualifying stays; however as this is a vacation villa property, upgrades, late check out, and other in-hotel benefits are not available. There are no Starpoint or airline mile redemption options for any free night or discounted awards.

Participating Properties:
1406 Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort & Villas, Lahina Maui, HI

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]
Thank you William. Your post + slippahs helps.

Anyone happen to know if you get SPG points for the stay if on one of those "we'll give you a good rate if you listen to our pitch" deals?
Old Jun 16, 2005, 12:18 pm
Company Representative - Starwood

Programs: Marriott Employee Level
Thank you William. Your post + slippahs helps.

Anyone happen to know if you get SPG points for the stay if on one of those "we'll give you a good rate if you listen to our pitch" deals?
No problem. Don't know about these "pitch deals" being an eligible rate, but the property itself should certainly know. Or maybe someone who has taken advantage of one personally? Regardless, good luck!

Sincerely,

William R. Sanders

[email protected]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.