Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in San Francisco

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wcj1
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

Below is a list of hotels Marriott has listed for San Francisco. Where there is a specific "Master" threads for a hotel, the name is a link to that thread:

Luxury:
St Regis San Francisco
Ritz Carlton San Francisco

Full Service:
W Hotel San Francisco
JW Marriott Union Square San Francisco
San Francisco Marriott Union Square
San Francisco Marriott Marquis
San Francisco Marriott Fisherman's Wharf
Marriott SoMA Mission Bay [San Francisco]
[GONE] Park Central (was Westin Market Street) San Francisco (rebranded as Hyatt)
Westin St. Francis, San Francisco
Westin SFO San Francisco Airport
Palace Hotel, San Francisco
Le Meridien Hotel San Francisco
San Francisco Proper, Design Hotel
Adagio Hotel, Autograph Collection (San Francisco, CA)
[GONE] Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco (re-branded as Riu Plaza San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf as of 12NOV19 - see post 134 in thread)
AC Hotel San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront

Limited Service:
Courtyard San Francisco Downtown/Van Ness Ave
Courtyard San Francisco Union Square
Courtyard San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront
Courtyard San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf
Courtyard San Francisco Downtown
Four Points by Sheraton SFO San Francisco Airport
aloft San Francisco Airport (Millbrae) SFO

Extended Stay:
Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront

Timeshare:
Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, San Francisco

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2013, 8:12 pm

what are the newer Marriott properties in the Bay Area

I just recently switched from Hilton to Marriott in order to build up Marriott points but I am not having any luck with the quality of the non-full service hotels. Most of my stays are in the bay area and/or Sacramento. Can anyone help me with a list of quality non-full service Marriott hotels? I have stayed in the Courtyard in Silicon Valley and a couple of Fairfield inns in Sacramento and they are old and in bad condition.

When I stayed at Hilton’s I would usually stay at Hilton’s, Hilton Garden Inns, embassy suites, if that helps.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 10:25 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I stay at the Walnut Creek Marriott quite a bit for work; it's decent. Has a standard buffet breakfast, valet parking, and a concierge level. Waiting for the valets to retrieve the car can be a bit of a wait when the hotel is full with business travelers.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:24 pm

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Rewards Platinum, HHonors Gold
San Jose Marriott is pretty nice.
Old Feb 14, 2013, 4:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...francisco.html

Originally Posted by jrcarmine56
I just recently switched from Hilton to Marriott in order to build up Marriott points but I am not having any luck with the quality of the non-full service hotels. Most of my stays are in the bay area and/or Sacramento. Can anyone help me with a list of quality non-full service Marriott hotels? I have stayed in the Courtyard in Silicon Valley and a couple of Fairfield inns in Sacramento and they are old and in bad condition.

When I stayed at Hilton’s I would usually stay at Hilton’s, Hilton Garden Inns, embassy suites, if that helps.
Old Feb 18, 2013, 12:31 am

Programs: SQ TPPS, Hyatt Dia, SPG Gold, Shangri-La(h) Jade
Hi all,

I acknowledge that this has been covered many times in the past but was looking for a more recent opinion. I'll be in San Fran this August and as the Grand Hyatt is sold out I'm looking for some advice for other properties. I have no status with Marriott. The Marriott's stack up as follows:

Marriott Marquis $249
Marriott Union Square $309
JW Marriott Union Sq. $329

Based on my research the JW doesn't deserve its name however it still seems like the superior property of the 3 in SF. I don't know how the Marquis brand stacks up against the rest of the chain but this seems to be the weakest property of the three. Would my assumptions be right? I am equally willing to purchase 3 nights at any of the properties but is:

the Marriott Union Sq. worth the difference over the Marquis?

if so, is the JW worth the $20 extra over the Marriott Union Sq.?

I hope I have presented enough information for you guys to work with. I do not drive in the US so I won't have a car and I intend on being near Union Square for shopping. All three properties seem to satisfy this criteria. My usual price range is $200-$300 but I am willing to pay a bit more for a better product.

MTIA
Old Feb 18, 2013, 2:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SIA747Megatop
the Marriott Union Sq. worth the difference over the Marquis?
I don't think so. The Marquis is actually a very nice hotel. The only downside imho is that the lobby is very crowded and noisy. It's about a 10 minute walk to Union Square, so that shouldn't be a problem.

If you want to relax in the evening, the Marquis has a pool and a jacuzzi (unlike the other two hotels).
Old Feb 18, 2013, 5:14 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Price is always my guide when it comes to the four Marriott properties located close to Union Square. (You didn't include the Ren SC, but I will.) Given the Marquis is so much less expensive, it would be a no-brainer for me. If you are taking BART, you have the added advantage of being very close to the station and won't have to worry about walking up the hill. They are each good properties, and not that different from each other in level or quality. (FSs and Ren a little better than average, the JW a little less, to where they meet.)

It's like having to choose which car to take on the rental lot, with each being a Camry with the same engine and options. One is green, one is red, one is blue and one is white. Driving one of the other isn't really going to make a difference. If you can get a 25% discount if you drive the blue one, you will choose the blue one!

Last edited by CJKatl; Feb 18, 2013 at 5:20 am
Old Feb 18, 2013, 5:47 am

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Originally Posted by jrcarmine56

If you need an airport hotel, or a cheap alternative to staying right in San Francisco, the Courtyard San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront is a hotel I have stayed in several times, especially when I have an early morning connection to Asia or Hawaii, and it is a newer hotel, and IME, has always been very nice, especially for the money and convenience to SFO.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 9:07 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
At the Marriott Union Square in San Francisco and asked the FDC if breakfast coupons are available on the weekends (lounge closed) for platinum members.

He said unfortunately the answer is no and that Marriott leaves it up to each individual GM's to decide whether or not to provide breakfast coupons. He said the GM of the hotel has mentioned the occupancy rate is approximately 60-75% golds and platinums on the weekend with many being families who are "looking to feed their kids for free" so they decided against it.

No clue if any of it is true but was entertained by the lengthy, detailed response.

He did offer me an additional ammenity (selected a Sam Adams and cheese/fruit plate) for being a PP which was very kind and not expected. In addition he game me a bag full (8 bottles) of the 10oz Vasa waters for the remainder of the weekend.
Old Mar 15, 2013, 10:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium; UA 1K; Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by apodo77
At the Marriott Union Square in San Francisco and asked the FDC if breakfast coupons are available on the weekends (lounge closed) for platinum members.

He said unfortunately the answer is no and that Marriott leaves it up to each individual GM's to decide whether or not to provide breakfast coupons. He said the GM of the hotel has mentioned the occupancy rate is approximately 60-75% golds and platinums on the weekend with many being families who are "looking to feed their kids for free" so they decided against it.

No clue if any of it is true but was entertained by the lengthy, detailed response.

He did offer me an additional ammenity (selected a Sam Adams and cheese/fruit plate) for being a PP which was very kind and not expected. In addition he game me a bag full (8 bottles) of the 10oz Vasa waters for the remainder of the weekend.
Good to know. Definitely won't be staying there when I visit SFO. Either the Marquis or the JW it is!
Old Mar 16, 2013, 1:28 am

Obviously cereals and waffles cost a lot in SF.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 1:52 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
.....snip....

....snip....
Originally Posted by recadna
Obviously cereals and waffles cost a lot in SF.
Of course cereals and waffles do not cost a lot in SFO, or anywhere else. But if that hotel experiences 60-75% Gold and Plat traffic on the weekends, and decided to offer breakfast coupons, then that hotel's restaurant gross would drop more than 50% (most, but not all, of the restaurant traffic at most hotels is for breakfast, which is why 60-75% using coupons would not drop the gross in exactly the same percentage).

If you think in terms of a movie theater, where 20¢ in syrup turns into a $4.00 large cup of soda sold, breakfast at hotels is similar, $1-2 of wholesale food turns into a $19.95 breakfast buffet sold. The very high gross margin on breakfast, coupled with the VERY high Gold and Plat traffic, would probably turn that restaurant from a profitable cost center into an unprofitable cost center, certainly for the weekends, and possibly for the whole week.
Old Mar 16, 2013, 7:19 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Looks like Hotel Adagio is joining the Marriott lineup in downtown San Francisco on 3/20/13.

Looks real nice and will be a category 7 for redemption.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...ph-collection/

The hotel website has a pop up about joining on 3/20/13 but not showing up on marriott.com for dates after that as of yet.

http://hoteladagiosf.com/
Old Mar 16, 2013, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by USirritated
Of course cereals and waffles do not cost a lot in SFO, or anywhere else. But if that hotel experiences 60-75% Gold and Plat traffic on the weekends, and decided to offer breakfast coupons, then that hotel's restaurant gross would drop more than 50% (most, but not all, of the restaurant traffic at most hotels is for breakfast, which is why 60-75% using coupons would not drop the gross in exactly the same percentage).

If you think in terms of a movie theater, where 20¢ in syrup turns into a $4.00 large cup of soda sold, breakfast at hotels is similar, $1-2 of wholesale food turns into a $19.95 breakfast buffet sold. The very high gross margin on breakfast, coupled with the VERY high Gold and Plat traffic, would probably turn that restaurant from a profitable cost center into an unprofitable cost center, certainly for the weekends, and possibly for the whole week.
Perhaps we should send this memo to Hilton/SPG because they probably do not realize how harmful it is to provide free breakfasts in weekends.
Old Mar 17, 2013, 4:59 am

Looks like Hotel Adagio is joining the Marriott lineup in downtown San Francisco on 3/20/13.

Looks real nice and will be a category 7 for redemption.

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...ph-collection/

The hotel website has a pop up about joining on 3/20/13 but not showing up on marriott.com for dates after that as of yet.

http://hoteladagiosf.com/
It looks like a very nice boutique hotel, and a welcome addition to the SFO choices.

It is on Marriott's site now, look here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.