Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in San Francisco

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: wcj1
This thread refers to the various Marriott brands within a specific geographic area. Marriott Bonvoy hotels in XX usually have posts asking which property is better, etc. Trip reports are usually better suited in the property specific threads.

Below is a list of hotels Marriott has listed for San Francisco. Where there is a specific "Master" threads for a hotel, the name is a link to that thread:

Luxury:
St Regis San Francisco
Ritz Carlton San Francisco

Full Service:
W Hotel San Francisco
JW Marriott Union Square San Francisco
San Francisco Marriott Union Square
San Francisco Marriott Marquis
San Francisco Marriott Fisherman's Wharf
Marriott SoMA Mission Bay [San Francisco]
[GONE] Park Central (was Westin Market Street) San Francisco (rebranded as Hyatt)
Westin St. Francis, San Francisco
Westin SFO San Francisco Airport
Palace Hotel, San Francisco
Le Meridien Hotel San Francisco
San Francisco Proper, Design Hotel
Adagio Hotel, Autograph Collection (San Francisco, CA)
[GONE] Sheraton Fisherman's Wharf, San Francisco (re-branded as Riu Plaza San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf as of 12NOV19 - see post 134 in thread)
AC Hotel San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront

Limited Service:
Courtyard San Francisco Downtown/Van Ness Ave
Courtyard San Francisco Union Square
Courtyard San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront
Courtyard San Francisco Fisherman's Wharf
Courtyard San Francisco Downtown
Four Points by Sheraton SFO San Francisco Airport
aloft San Francisco Airport (Millbrae) SFO

Extended Stay:
Residence Inn San Francisco Airport/Oyster Point Waterfront

Timeshare:
Marriott Vacation Club Pulse, San Francisco

Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Isn't there an Avis place in downtown SF? Drop the car off there if there is one (and there's no drop-off fee).

Cheers.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat
OK, so I think my general plan of attack is as follows:

1. Move from my Pleasanton Marriott location (Wed and Thurs night) to the Marriott Marquis for a single night stay on Friday night.

2. Return Avis rental car before heading into downtown mid-day on Friday

3. Spend Friday afternoon and evening in the city exploring

4. Hop on BART Saturday morning to OAK for a 10:50am flight out on Southwest Airlines

I couldn't really tell a huge difference in the SF city hotels (JW, Marquis, Marriott US, Renaissance, etc), so I just used access to BART as the tie-breaker for getting back to the OAK airport. Make sense? Now I just gotta find a remote AVIS location somewhere so I don't have to double back to the OAK airport on Friday!
I travel to the East Bay for work regularly (Safeway is a customer) and I much prefer the San Ramon Marriott to the Pleasanton Marriott. Better lounge, friendlier staff, better location. If you can get a comparable rate I would suggest moving.

Also I saw you mentioned the Walnut Creek Marriott above. I would never stay there personally. Not a good hotel at all in my experience.

As far as your rental car you need to drive to downtown by 1pm or so or traffic will be miserable. Here is a dropoff location in downtown you should be able to use and not far to your hotel:

Union Square, San Francisco, SF1
675 Post St (between Jones & Taylor)
Union Square
San Francisco CA 94109 ,
U S A
(1) 415-929-2555
Location Code: SF1 Operating Hours:
Sun 6:00 AM - 6:30 PM
Mon - Thu 6:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Fri - Sat 6:00 AM - 6:30 PM
Old Apr 21, 2012, 3:01 pm

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Thanks apodo77. That was incredibly helpful. I will take your suggestion as well and switch to the San Ramon Marriott. I really appreciate it!
Old Apr 21, 2012, 5:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by arizonawildcat
Thanks apodo77. That was incredibly helpful. I will take your suggestion as well and switch to the San Ramon Marriott. I really appreciate it!
Hope you enjoy it. I have never had a bad experience there and been going there for 9 years.

Stayed at the Pleasanton one a few times and it is an old Crown Plaza or something that has been renovated into a Marriott. And although a nice reno you can tell it was a lesser brand at one time. A room right on the freeway can get real noisy also.

If you workout on the road the San Ramon Marriott has one of the better fitness centers around.

Target and Whole Foods are walking distance from the hotel as well. Great bagel shop in the strip center also.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
Originally Posted by apodo77
I travel to the East Bay for work regularly (Safeway is a customer) and I much prefer the San Ramon Marriott to the Pleasanton Marriott. Better lounge, friendlier staff, better location. If you can get a comparable rate I would suggest moving.

Also I saw you mentioned the Walnut Creek Marriott above. I would never stay there personally. Not a good hotel at all in my experience.

As far as your rental car you need to drive to downtown by 1pm or so or traffic will be miserable. Here is a dropoff location in downtown you should be able to use and not far to your hotel:

Union Square
San Francisco CA 94109 ,
U S A
(1) 415-929-2555
Have you ever stayed at the Renaissance Walnut Creek? We plan a vacation there next year for a few days and would appreciate hearing people's experiences.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Armani
Have you ever stayed at the Renaissance Walnut Creek? We plan a vacation there next year for a few days and would appreciate hearing people's experiences.
I have stayed there many times and is my other hotel I stay at in the east bay. It is on the older side (built in 2002 and no reno to date on rooms) but has been meticulously maintained. would recommend to stay there. Not sure if kids are with you or not but the on site restaurant is kind of eclectic in my opinion and not a big fan.

One of the best category 4 hotels around if you have certs or using points.

Just curious why you are staying in the Walnut Creek area though? Great downtown area but not an area I would consider as a vacation destination and is far from San Francisco and a long BART ride to boot.

If you like to workout you have full access to the Club Sport gym attached to the hotel
Old Apr 22, 2012, 9:42 am

Programs: Marriott, Southwest, American, Delta, Amtrak,Multiple others
I have stayed there many times and is my other hotel I stay at in the east bay. It is on the older side (built in 2002 and no reno to date on rooms) but has been meticulously maintained. would recommend to stay there. Not sure if kids are with you or not but the on site restaurant is kind of eclectic in my opinion and not a big fan.

One of the best category 4 hotels around if you have certs or using points.

Just curious why you are staying in the Walnut Creek area though? Great downtown area but not an area I would consider as a vacation destination and is far from San Francisco and a long BART ride to boot.

If you like to workout you have full access to the Club Sport gym attached to the hotel
Thanks for the helpful information. We lived in the area several years ago, and plan to use it as a base. We probably will only spend 1-2 days in SF and will use BART, and will likely spend 1 day in Napa. Having access to the Club Sport gym is also a factor because I can better enjoy the great food and wine in the area if I work out. The category 4 classification also saves a lot of points, and the hotel provides free breakfast to platinums on weekdays.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 2:32 pm

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP

Union Square
San Francisco CA 94109 ,
U S A
(1) 415-929-2555
Wow...how about this luck? I just booked a room for one night at the Marriott Marquis and it included free valet parking for a single night. Great single night rate too. Guess I won't have to worry about taking the car back after all and just just pay the extra day and drive it back to OAK on Saturday morning to return it prior to my flight. Booyah!
Old Apr 22, 2012, 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Armani
Thanks for the helpful information. We lived in the area several years ago, and plan to use it as a base. We probably will only spend 1-2 days in SF and will use BART, and will likely spend 1 day in Napa. Having access to the Club Sport gym is also a factor because I can better enjoy the great food and wine in the area if I work out. The category 4 classification also saves a lot of points, and the hotel provides free breakfast to platinums on weekdays.
Love the Club Sport and hard to beat for the workout enthusiasts.

If you are eating dinner at McCovey's one night consider me jealous. Not the best food around but always had good food and great ambience.
Old May 14, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: IHG-Spire, DL-Gold, MR-Platinum, HH-Gold, SPG-Gold, Hyatt-Diamond, BA-Silver
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SGH-T989 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

FTers who have been to both, which one is better? Tripadvisor gives Renaissance a higher rank, but its ranking is someone geared towards value vs price paid. Assuming prices are the same, which one do you like?

OT: The Fairmont on Mason St is excellent as well, but its loyalty program doesn't earn me much because of limited presence.

Last edited by charms81; May 14, 2012 at 12:13 pm
Old May 14, 2012, 12:30 pm
Suspended

There are many threads on each of these hotels and a search can easily provide you with responses.

In addition, there is no JW at SFO -- SFO is an airport; SF is shorthand for San Francisco.

Moderator -- please consolidate somewhere.
Old May 14, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by charms81
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.6; en-us; SGH-T989 Build/GINGERBREAD) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

FTers who have been to both, which one is better? Tripadvisor gives Renaissance a higher rank, but its ranking is someone geared towards value vs price paid. Assuming prices are the same, which one do you like?

OT: The Fairmont on Mason St is excellent as well, but its loyalty program doesn't earn me much because of limited presence.
All things equal, I prefer the JW, but mine is the most recent TripAdvisor positive reveiw for the Ren Stanford Court.

Ren Disadvantages: The rooms are a little noisy, being on the cable car line, unless you get a room looking into the middle court, which means you see other rooms. It's on top of the hill, which means no matter what you do in SF, you will have to walk to the top of the very, very steep hill at the end of the day. Speaking of the hill, you can take BART from the airport and walk to the JW with luggage. While I regularly walk TO the train from the Ren, walking FROM the train is difficult. An UG is still a small room.

JW Advantages: They UG to sweet suites. The bathrooms are very nice. Very large, nice CL. (The Ren CL is nice, but not as big.) Quieter rooms.

Ren Advantages: Better views. Cool bar.
Old May 14, 2012, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On the Stanford Court- you can take the cable car(all three lines) to/from its doorstep, but when it is busy, chances are cable cars will be full when they pass by and you may have to wait for many or not get one at all.
Old May 14, 2012, 5:53 pm

Programs: IHG-Spire, DL-Gold, MR-Platinum, HH-Gold, SPG-Gold, Hyatt-Diamond, BA-Silver
Originally Posted by CJKatl
All things equal, I prefer the JW, but mine is the most recent TripAdvisor positive reveiw for the Ren Stanford Court.

Ren Disadvantages: The rooms are a little noisy, being on the cable car line, unless you get a room looking into the middle court, which means you see other rooms. It's on top of the hill, which means no matter what you do in SF, you will have to walk to the top of the very, very steep hill at the end of the day. Speaking of the hill, you can take BART from the airport and walk to the JW with luggage. While I regularly walk TO the train from the Ren, walking FROM the train is difficult. An UG is still a small room.

JW Advantages: They UG to sweet suites. The bathrooms are very nice. Very large, nice CL. (The Ren CL is nice, but not as big.) Quieter rooms.

Ren Advantages: Better views. Cool bar.
Thank you for the detailed info! This is of great help to me, I'll go with JW since I know going up Nob Hill is a pain and since I'm not renting a car (valet is $63) and I need ot go to/from hotel multiple times, I'm better off with JW.
Old May 14, 2012, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
On the Stanford Court- you can take the cable car(all three lines) to/from its doorstep, but when it is busy, chances are cable cars will be full when they pass by and you may have to wait for many or not get one at all.
The tram during busy hours going up Nob hill is always full... I've seen that from visitors point of view. So I'm going with JW. Thanks for the feedback though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.