Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The US Grant - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The US Grant - San Diego, CA [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:54 am
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by Kacee
Didn't say it's unsafe. I think "gritty" is a good term. Lots of street people, including people sleeping on the sidewalk and/or talking to themselves. You could buy a wide variety of street drugs if so inclined.

btw, I live and work in Oakland, so I certainly know both gritty and unsafe.
I wouldn't call the location of the US Grant gritty by any means, and have turned left on Broadway out of this property on several occasions, granted I haven't been East of Eighth Ave.

When it was the W, I took an eastbound trek from the now Renaissance San Diego and could see how THAT area could be called gritty.

That said, KENNECTED, with all due respect, the Tenderloin in SF is both gritty and seedy. It is an area with many wonderful restaurants and a lot of culture, but it isn't the safest or cleanest of areas by any means. Like Central Ave in Charlotte.

Just because you live in NYC and NYC has extreme grit and seediness does not mean that it cannot exist outside of NYC.

Originally Posted by damon88
My husband and I walk back and forth from the Grant to the opera and the theater, and we've never felt unsafe.
If you are exiting the US Grant, you would take a right on Broadway to get to the Opera House, not a left...
Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Didn't say it's unsafe. I think "gritty" is a good term. Lots of street people, including people sleeping on the sidewalk and/or talking to themselves. You could buy a wide variety of street drugs if so inclined.

btw, I live and work in Oakland, so I certainly know both gritty and unsafe.
Surely not a high end area and you may see some homeless people. But you are in the heart of Downtown. Don´t see a better location for a city hotel.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 7:03 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by NDDomer86
I wouldn't call the location of the US Grant gritty by any means, and have turned left on Broadway out of this property on several occasions, granted I haven't been East of Eighth Ave.

When it was the W, I took an eastbound trek from the now Renaissance San Diego and could see how THAT area could be called gritty.

That said, KENNECTED, with all due respect, the Tenderloin in SF is both gritty and seedy. It is an area with many wonderful restaurants and a lot of culture, but it isn't the safest or cleanest of areas by any means. Like Central Ave in Charlotte.

Just because you live in NYC and NYC has extreme grit and seediness does not mean that it cannot exist outside of NYC.

If you are exiting the US Grant, you would take a right on Broadway to get to the Opera House, not a left...
Never said or insinuated that. It's my opinion that neither area is "gritty".🤷🏽.♂️
Old Mar 31, 2017, 8:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
NYC makes for an interesting comparison these days . . . . I visit Manhattan several times a year, and every time I return, it strikes me that I see more street people in Oakland or SF in ten minutes than I saw during three days in Manhattan. All the grit left Manhattan about 15 years ago . . . . I honestly don't know of any reasonably central part of Manhattan that compares to C Street between 6th and 7th in SD for seediness.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 9:16 am
Suspended

Wink

NYC makes for an interesting comparison these days . . . . I visit Manhattan several times a year, and every time I return, it strikes me that I see more street people in Oakland or SF in ten minutes than I saw during three days in Manhattan. All the grit left Manhattan about 15 years ago . . . . I honestly don't know of any reasonably central part of Manhattan that compares to C Street between 6th and 7th in SD for seediness.
That is due to the sheer number of people on the streets of Manhattan at any given time. As a child i was not able to venture south of 63 Street. Saying all the grit left Manhattan is inaccurate at best. Which brings me to ask, do you really know Manhattan Island?

Saying you honestly do not know of any CENTRAL part of Manhattan that compares is the seediness I can believe. There are parts of Hells Kitchen that are terrible. Parts of Chelsea just west of Madison Sq. and the old post office that are very bad, before the Hudson yards moniker was created.

anyway lets not take this topic off topic any further.
Old Mar 31, 2017, 2:41 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist

Hmmm- not sure what you are referring to. The Opera is just one place we've walked to from the Grant. We've walked all around the area-to the Symphony, the Lyceum Theater and various restaurants (right-left-and in between . It never seemed any grittier than other major downtowns we've visited (to clarify--POST 1985- prior to that our downtown was admittedly a junkie wasteland ) But ever since the Gaslamp district, Petco Park and popular restaurants came to the area, our Downtown area has been highly desirable.

If you check a recent Rent Map you can see that our rents are highest in that neighborhood.

https://www.zumper.com/blog/uploads/...Spring2016.png
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:26 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott, Kimpton
Any recent experiences here? Looking to stay here as a plat in June.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
I agree with the earlier comment that the area is gritty. The comparison to downtown La Jolla was an apt one.

Gritty doesn't necessarily mean unsafe. I've walked the area during the day and early evening without feeling unsafe. That said, I would not walk around there at 3 a.m. -- unlike downtown La Jolla.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by canadiantransplant
Any recent experiences here? Looking to stay here as a plat in June.
Lucky stayed there recently. check out his review at onemileatatime
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:25 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
A little surprised and disappointed that my Your24 request for July was rejected here the same day I submitted it "due to projected hotel occupancy levels"

There are still tons of rooms available for my date. Shouldn't hotels wait until closer to your arrival date before rejecting a request?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:03 pm
Suspended

A little surprised and disappointed that my Your24 request for July was rejected here the same day I submitted it "due to projected hotel occupancy levels"

There are still tons of rooms available for my date. Shouldn't hotels wait until closer to your arrival date before rejecting a request?
They could have a contract for x number of rooms. Those rooms are being held for x number of days or x number of days before the event. It's possible that when the expiration date passes rooms will go back into inventory and the hotel will be able to look at expected occupancy on your date.

There are many variables.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:14 pm
Suspended

They could have a contract for x number of rooms. Those rooms are being held for x number of days or x number of days before the event. It's possible that when the expiration date passes rooms will go back into inventory and the hotel will be able to look at expected occupancy on your date.

There are many variables.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:47 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

I suppose. It just seems strange to deny the request 3 months before the stay. I don't use Your24 that often and I can't remember if there is a "we will let you know" message. Perhaps it was my error submitting too early.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 9:59 pm

Programs: Delta, Marriott, Kimpton
Originally Posted by zoqfotpik
Lucky stayed there recently. check out his review at onemileatatime
Thanks so much!
Old May 1, 2017, 1:23 am

Programs: UA Million Miler, BonVoyLifetime Platinum, UA Platinum, President's Club,
I had a wonderful stay. The location was perfect! I was upgraded to the Grant Suite, which was on the 10th floor. It had a narrow living room but a huge bedroom, and honestly, one of the most comfortable beds, if not THE most comfortable bed, I've ever slept in.

There was a very cool cabinet housing a fridge, ice bucket, coffee and tea makers, etc. It was very modern and just set off the room perfectly. The blue color of the sofa and curtains was soothing, and the artwork was fascinating. My friend and I were debating the different paintings throughout our stay.

I did miss having a bath, but learned through a fascinating tour given by the very kind, knowledgeable, and handsome Brooks Barding, that there are a few suites that have tubs. I hope to stay in one on my next visit. Honestly, the only problems I had during my stay were not having a tub (I have nerve damage in my left foot and leg so it's been years since I've gone without) and having to call frequently for bath products. (Those bottles were too small and having chosen Green Choice, I wasn't getting the room cleaned.) But that's it. Everything else was top notch.

I had my best friend drive in to join me on my last two nights, and she slept on a rollaway in the living room. I loved having the two spaces as I need quiet when I sleep, and also we had separate air conditioners so that was no problem. Ideally, if it had been a longer stay, I would've loved a suite with two bathrooms, but this worked perfectly for us. And as we were on the tenth floor, the noise outside wasn't that bad. I have a great sleep app on my phone that helps.

The lobby is simply gorgeous, and the area is wonderful. We were able to walk each night to dinner, and I even found a restaurant for my meeting the 2nd day that worked out better than I could've imagined, just 5 minutes from the hotel. Once my friend arrived, we took the nearby train to Seaport Village, walked to Little Italy, and laughed our way through the Gaslamp District, settling on some great restaurants. But the greatest find on this trip was the Grant Grille.

The night before my friend arrived, I splurged on room service. I had a fantastic burger with the homemade kettle chips, and a recently added dessert that was peanut butter mousse with jelly beignets. Delicious! That food came from the Grant Grille. Room Service was a bit more expensive than I am used to, but it was so worth it. My burger was cooked to order, and they even found me some yellow mustard as I don't care for Dijon.

When my friend arrived we had both breakfast and lunch in the Grille and it was by far the best food I had while in San Diego, even beating out Little Italy's fares. I highly recommend the peanut butter french toast for breakfast. I had never had anything like it and have thought about it often since then. For lunch I tried the pastrami sandwich, although I'm not usually a fan. It was, again, delicious. The service, too, was excellent.

I do understand the mentions here of the area not being, perhaps, the best, only in that sometimes people forget that this is a big city. But it is not so cut and dry. The hotel is wonderful and as a woman who travels alone, I felt completely safe. Walking into the Gaslamp area for lunch one day, I did almost lose my purse, but it was my fault for eating outside and setting it close to where someone could snatch it. Like in every big city, there are all sorts of people. That said, I never felt unsafe, I loved the Gaslamp District AND all the rest. It was no different from other big cities.

I loved my stay at the US Grant and hope to return. I would've loved to see how the turn-down service goes but because I chose Green Choice, I didn't get it. I had expected the room to be turned down at arrival as I came so very late at night, but that's okay. It was beautiful and I got some great photos.

I tend to do well at Luxury Collection hotels so I wasn't expecting any problems. Once the suite upgrade went through, there wasn't much for me to worry about. I spent a lot of money tipping for ice, but I do that at most LC hotels and many European ones. Again, I think not having a bathtub for 4 nights was a bit much, but it was worth it to again experience such a wonderful hotel. My favorite stays happen to all be Luxury Collection Hotels, so I felt right at home.

If you're considering staying here and have the time, I highly recommend taking the hotel tour. I had emailed the concierge regarding car service (DON'T waste money on a car service- it is so close to the airport that a cab is 1/4 the price!) He replied to my email with an offer of a tour, which my friend and I found fascinating. My favorite parts were the area that was once a speakeasy, and the sign at the Grant Grille that remains from the Jurassic Period stating that women weren't allowed beyond a certain time without men. The story of the women who protested this (as late as the 60s!) was fascinating.

I"m deeply indebted to Mr. Barding for the tour, and Cynthia at the front desk for all of her help. This stay was truly a treat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.