Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Q: Does Lounge/breakfast no longer apply to Autograph Collection?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26, 2023, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist

Staying at a hotel (Triada PS) that has informed me that, as of January 1, Marriott has changed the rules and Autograph Collections that do not have lounges are not required to provide breakfast, and the only benefit is the standard elite Welcome.

Did I miss something? The website does not show any change. (This is not one of the listed properties with exceptions.)

Marriott social media says that because some older hotels don't have breakfast facilities, they can give 1000 points instead. I know certain properties have long been excluded, but this would also appear to be a new rule. This hotel was of course happy to sell breakfast.

Last edited by Adam1222; Feb 26, 2023 at 12:42 pm
Old Feb 26, 2023, 12:31 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Please name the property. The terms and conditions, which are listed as last updated in January 2023, still list Autograph Collection in the same vein as Marriott/JW/etc in regards to the "Guaranteed Lounge Access" benefit that normally gives Elites breakfast at these properties.

This sounds like a property just trying to give bad excuses or something else is going on here.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Please name the property. The terms and conditions, which are listed as last updated in January 2023, still list Autograph Collection in the same vein as Marriott/JW/etc in regards to the "Guaranteed Lounge Access" benefit that normally gives Elites breakfast at these properties.

This sounds like a property just trying to give bad excuses or something else is going on here.
It is the Triada Palm Springs.
Marriott Bonvoy Assist on Twitter has not provided a consistent answer (in a single conversation). At first they said the hotel provides $10 or 1000 points in lieu of breakfast if it doesn't have a restaurant,then they pointed to the rule and said the hotel can choose to provide 750 points instead of breakfast if it wants. Neither of which supports the hotels claim that the rule changed January 1. Now theyve basically given up and said I can file a claim if I want
cscasi likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 1:26 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Marriott Bonvoy Assist on Twitter has not provided a consistent answer (in a single conversation). At first they said the hotel provides $10 or 1000 points in lieu of breakfast if it doesn't have a restaurant,then they pointed to the rule and said the hotel can choose to provide 750 points instead of breakfast if it wants. Neither of which supports the hotels claim that the rule changed January 1. Now theyve basically given up and said I can file a claim if I want
Per the Terms and Conditions, you should claim your Elite Benefit Guarantee compensation for $100 USD while at the property.
rmc1, dgreen12, SPN Lifer and 13 others like this.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Per the Terms and Conditions, you should claim your Elite Benefit Guarantee compensation for $100 USD while at the property.
Yep. They're denying it and insisting that the Marriott people told them they are correct.
cscasi likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 1:40 pm

Yep. They're denying it and insisting that the Marriott people told them they are correct.
I would call Marriott instead of going through social media. They'll open a case - hopefully, you can get some compensation that way. Sounds like a terrible property.
cscasi likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 1:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
By all means, file a claim. This is a case of a hotel intentionally lying to you! Sadly, it's also a case of a poorly trained Marriott Bonvoy Assist agent who has no idea what's actually in the Terms & Conditions.

I understand that Triada Palm Springs, Autograph Collection is a hotel, not a resort. (The rules are different for resorts.) Although the latest version of the Terms & Conditions is from January 2023, nothing changed regarding Lounge Access alternatives and Welcome Gift choices at Autograph Collection properties.

Despite what the Marriott Bonvoy Assist agent is trying to claim, the Welcome Gift for Platinum Elite and above is completely separate from Guaranteed Lounge Access at JW Marriott, Marriott Hotels, Delta Hotels, Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels (that are not resorts). From the Terms & Conditions:

"In the United States and Canada: If Lounge is closed or property does not have a Lounge or approved alternative, property to offer daily continental breakfast in restaurant for Member +1 or Member can choose 750 Points per night of Stay."

The key there is that it's member's choice, not the hotel's choice. The hotel failed to offer your choice of daily continental breakfast or 750 points per night to you. The hotel owes you Guest Compensation. From the Terms & Conditions:

"Globally: U.S. $100 If no continental breakfast or continental breakfast alternative was offered to Member"

The false story that Triada Palm Springs, Autograph Collection is telling you is an insult to all the fine Autograph Collection hotels that play by the actual rules, take good care of Platinum Elite (and above) guests, and even often provide full breakfast, not just continental breakfast.

By the way, continental breakfast at a hotel in the class of the Autograph Collection brand should mean a breakfast as served on the European continent, not just a thawed, mass-produced pastry and a cup of coffee or an inadequate daily credit toward breakfast.

Last edited by Horace; Feb 26, 2023 at 11:20 pm
Old Feb 26, 2023, 1:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Horace
By all means, file a claim. This is a case of a hotel intentionally lying to you! Sadly, it's also a case of a poorly trained Marriott Bonvoy Assist agent who has no idea what's actually in the Terms & Conditions.

I understand that Triada Palm Springs, Autograph Collection is a hotel, not a resort. (The rules are different for resorts.) Nothing changed in the Terms & Conditions in January.

Despite what the Marriott Bonvoy Assist agent is trying to claim, the Welcome Gift for Platinum Elite and above is completely separate from Guaranteed Lounge Access at JW Marriott, Marriott Hotels, Delta Hotels, Autograph Collection, Renaissance Hotels (that are not resorts). From the Terms & Conditions:

"In the United States and Canada: If Lounge is closed or property does not have a Lounge or approved alternative, property to offer daily continental breakfast in restaurant for Member +1 or Member can choose 750 Points per night of Stay."

The key there is that it's member's choice, not the hotel's choice. The hotel failed to offer your choice of daily continental breakfast or 750 points per night to you. The hotel owes you Guest Compensation. From the Terms & Conditions:

"Globally: U.S. $100 If no continental breakfast or continental breakfast alternative was offered to Member"

The false story that Triada Palm Springs, Autograph Collection is telling you is an insult to all the fine Autograph Collection hotels that play by the actual rules, take good care of Platinum Elite (and above) guests, and even often provide full breakfast, not just continental breakfast.

By the way, continental breakfast at a hotel in the class of the Autograph Collection brand should mean a breakfast as served on the European continent, a just a thawed, mass-produced pastry and a cup of coffee.

Yes, I've tried explaining this to Bonvoy Assist and the Hotel and both insist there's nothing to be done. How do I escalate?

The hotel apparently used to provide a piece of fruit and a muffin. At rates of $400 a night, you'd think they'd suck up the $1 per guest it costs them rather than flout the rules.
cscasi likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 1:57 pm

Yes, I've tried explaining this to Bonvoy Assist and the Hotel and both insist there's nothing to be done. How do I escalate?

The hotel apparently used to provide a piece of fruit and a muffin. At rates of $400 a night, you'd think they'd suck up the $1 per guest it costs them rather than flout the rules.
Is Bonvoy Assist a chat agent or someone on the phone? I would call and escalate to supervisors until you get a satisfactory outcome. You could also try withMarriott Bonvoy Lurker but I'm not sure they are on the weekend.

Luckily, it sounds like you weren't missing much. Thanks for posting in the master thread so others will know to avoid.
cscasi likes this.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Do you go to PSP frequently? Why not have some fun with them and sue the hotel in small claims court?
Old Feb 26, 2023, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Herb687
Do you go to PSP frequently? Why not have some fun with them and sue the hotel in small claims court?
My fiance would call off the wedding if I did that
worldwidedreamer and pewpew like this.

Last edited by Adam1222; Feb 26, 2023 at 2:16 pm
Old Feb 26, 2023, 3:56 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
My fiance would call off the wedding if I did that
Regardless of what the property or front desk is telling you, I would immediately claim $100 at the front desk for failure to provide the guaranteed benefit. If they refuse to pay, get it in writing (if you can) or at least the name/position of whoever is denying the $100 claim. Then take it to Marriott.
Old Feb 26, 2023, 4:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ohmark
Regardless of what the property or front desk is telling you, I would immediately claim $100 at the front desk for failure to provide the guaranteed benefit. If they refuse to pay, get it in writing (if you can) or at least the name/position of whoever is denying the $100 claim. Then take it to Marriott.
Yes, I have done this. The hotel insists Marriott has told them that they are correct. And Marriott simply says they forward the claim to hotel management....who is denying the claim. It's a Kafkaesque experience

Correspondence with front desk manager
Old Feb 26, 2023, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Seeing flames now

Old Feb 26, 2023, 5:00 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Your first mistake was choosing a Marriott property. Why would you expect more from a chain that has made it clear that they hold nothing but disdain for hotel guests?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.