Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Dubai EDITION [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2021, 7:09 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Sounds like it was an issue over logistics (contracts) rather than brand standards
Old Nov 17, 2021, 7:32 am

It all seems a bit dodgy. And when booking.com & Google reviews do a better job of presenting the hotel than the main website I have to wonder...

Last edited by illico; Nov 17, 2021 at 9:36 am
Old Nov 18, 2021, 5:40 am
Original Poster
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Qatar Airways, Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, IHG
And here's the first review on TripAdvisor - in its entirety, might I add:

"The most beautiful Hotel I have ever seen. I can't express my feelings about it but I must say I just love The Dubai Edition. What a feeling it was, wow. What a beautiful people was around me. Appreciate to everyone who is really wounderful caring for me and make my experience unforgettable. I would like to highly recommend and definitely will be back again."

Yeesh. I might be in the target demographic for EDITION properties, but between their [in my opinion] derivative and predictable design and the way Marriott makes Ian Schrager out to be a god, this whole brand is a big, hard pass for me.

khabaha
NoY, Kacee and luxtravels like this.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 6:38 am

Programs: Some
I have a five night stay at FS DIFC next month where I didn't really want to pay for a suite for the first night to arrive at 2AM, so have booked Dubai EDITION for first night. Happy to report back!
illico likes this.
Old Nov 18, 2021, 2:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by khabah
And here's the first review on TripAdvisor - in its entirety, might I add:

"The most beautiful Hotel I have ever seen. I can't express my feelings about it but I must say I just love The Dubai Edition. What a feeling it was, wow. What a beautiful people was around me. Appreciate to everyone who is really wounderful caring for me and make my experience unforgettable. I would like to highly recommend and definitely will be back again."
A totally legit review from a full paying guest not affiliated with the property in any way, I'm sure
Old Nov 29, 2021, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Well, I just tentatively booked 1 night, Dec 31-Jan 1 for 100K points. But the cancellation policy is a bit insane, as I have until 11:59PM Dec 1st, to cancel without penalty. A 30 day cancellation requirement for a locale that has plenty of competition seems out of touch.

Under normal circumstances, I don't think I've ever used my points for any of these higher category hotels; 100K/night is pretty high up there. But, the location would be perfect for us to walk from the Burj Khalifa Fountains for the NY's fireworks after midnight. I don't look forward to possibly having to carry/drag 2 kids under the age of 9 after the show to my existing location at the Radisson Blu, but the cancellation policy seems a bit extreme.

I will likely cancel, as the entire trip is up in the air due to Omicron variant and whatever hoops I may have to jump through to go through 3 countries... but it would be nice if I can check this out.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 2:45 am

Programs: BA GfL & GGL, FB Platinum, MB Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Just be aware that the area around the Burj Khalid’s gets closed off hours before the NYE event and it gets PACKED. It may take quite some time to get out of the area and back to your hotel.

Actually, with kids, I would try and book a hotel that is far enough away to avoid the chaos around the Burj Khalifa but which still have view of it. The Marriott Al Jaddaf comes to mind as there’s nothing much between it and the Burj Khalifa.
Old Nov 30, 2021, 4:20 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Accor Diamond, BA Gold, QR Plat
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
Well, I just tentatively booked 1 night, Dec 31-Jan 1 for 100K points. But the cancellation policy is a bit insane, as I have until 11:59PM Dec 1st, to cancel without penalty. A 30 day cancellation requirement for a locale that has plenty of competition seems out of touch.

Under normal circumstances, I don't think I've ever used my points for any of these higher category hotels; 100K/night is pretty high up there. But, the location would be perfect for us to walk from the Burj Khalifa Fountains for the NY's fireworks after midnight. I don't look forward to possibly having to carry/drag 2 kids under the age of 9 after the show to my existing location at the Radisson Blu, but the cancellation policy seems a bit extreme.

I will likely cancel, as the entire trip is up in the air due to Omicron variant and whatever hoops I may have to jump through to go through 3 countries... but it would be nice if I can check this out.
😮 100k for the Edition?

save the points for something better.

You could use it for the Ritz-Carlton Al Wadi (desert resort that is child-friendly unlike Al Maha) or even the Ritz at JBR is decent.
reggiekush likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2021, 12:49 pm

The Dubai EDITION - soft opening

Dubai EDITION

1 Review | 100% Recommended

Dubai EDITION

Dubai Fountain Street Downtown Dubai Dubai, AE 11788

The Dubai EDITION - soft opening (17 Photos)

Dubai EDITION

So curiosity got the better of me. I caved and booked the brand new Dubai Edition in its soft opening (confirmed with front desk that it is still in soft opening, though not explicit on Marriott website), despite the misgivings I had with the pictures, E-hotel thing...

Honestly? I'm glad I did. It was a very good stay. This would be my first stay at an Edition, so I dont really have a frame of reference.

FYI, I reduced the resolution in all pictures and they dont seem to look quite as good as the originals.

Check In

We arrived on a weeknight around 8pm. From the pull up to the curb, the bell staff jumped to action and we were in the lobby getting checked in.  I had secured myself an upgrade to a Superior Suite as a Titanium member (no SNA) via chat prior to arrival and the front desk confirmed all of our details. Check in was quick, efficient and friendly enough. No lounge but 1000 Bonvoy points was offered as the standard amenity.

As you know Edition hotels have a very unique and spartan style. It's not for everyone.  That said, in person, the lobby area (also where Italian restaurant Duomo is) was attractive and in my opinion, much better than the pictures on the main website. 

FE3DE0ED-3DEE-458C-A3B2-BA1321E573E8.jpegCF51D5F4-F80C-47C1-AFCD-2C667A54E710.jpeg60995560-5A26-4DC1-9375-8C1167C5AB88.jpeg35E69DFC-FDF4-40AC-83C7-63E4261E7C80.jpeg

Room

The entire building had that new building smell; in the hallways, the room, the lobby. There are modern touches in the hallways like motion sensors for lighting near the elevator.

The superior suite is located towards the front of the building facing Dubai Mall. From our vantage point we had a partial view of Burj Khalifa (most of it was obstructed by the Address hotel). However I thought it was a good view of the intersection of Dubai Fountain and Sheikh Mohammed bin Rachid Blvd; right in front of the entrance toward the mall and fountains. It looks as if all rooms have balconies.

F0050ADE-0515-4007-A9F7-6789A5850D58.jpegDCA53750-F10B-4F45-ACB9-95E864ED6516.jpeg

The room itself was very modern and minimalist. Some people will hate it, some will adore it.  I will be honest that when looking at the initial pictures on the internet I was unimpressed, but in person I liked the room a lot.

The suite had an entryway and small restroom, leading to the dining and living room area. The dining table was interesting.  I'm not used to having what was essentially a picnic table in-room, but it grew on me. There was no working desk.

From there, it led to the bedroom with king sized bed. The bedroom could be closed off via sliding doors.

The main bathroom was large but strangely only had one sink.  There was a large tub and a rainfall shower area.  The tub and shower were not separate so this may bug some people. You would definitely be getting the tub wet while taking a shower. The toilet/bidet area had a door so that you can do your business in private.  The bathroom is "open" to the bedroom in the sense that glass separates the two areas but you can ensure privacy with a curtain.

There is also a walk in closet area off the bedroom/bathroom. I didn't love the setup as I felt it was a bit narrow, but that was minor to me and I travel light. 

The room had standard amenities; hair dryer, iron, safe, robes, slippers, mini fridge, two large flat screen televisions, coffee-maker thing (I can't recall if with pods, I don't drink coffee). There were complimentary bottles of water and housekeeping could always bring more.  Both Elemis and Le Labo products were made available to us.

There were controls for the blackout curtains and well as sheer curtains and you could dim certain lights to the intensity of your choice.

Near the king bed on each side was a universal plug, and two USB ports (not USB-C from what I would tell).  For a modern freshly built hotel I wish there were more. We had a bunch of different devices and had to share, plus use the travel adaptors on the local plugs. 

Yes, there were some things I wish were better in the room, but overall I really liked it.

5DF3A226-5C81-496B-995F-54D886A51199.jpeg

E27A23BE-276B-44E8-B4B2-005948B30AFB.jpegB1F95BE9-E3E9-4903-BDCD-09CD0D6DE7BE.jpeg922E2241-5C30-415E-8950-D533868B79D4.jpeg1CE7B294-E361-4C25-9DA8-F2C1EC387CA0.jpeg62F6C8FE-6C89-4361-B964-D5C6D237660E.jpegBAADE617-AE6E-48CB-9193-C4D075289503.jpegBB7075E0-4BA3-4479-937C-51E7E47615B2.jpeg057580DA-DED1-47C8-A64F-5490461B2989.jpeg72D708C2-56FC-4908-A421-72474D9120D2.jpeg

Service

At first I thought the service was a little awkward.  Not rude, just awkward. I chalked it up to being a new hotel. There were a couple of minor service errors but nothing to write home about.

A welcome gift of dates was provided.

Over the next few days, it was much better. I was always greeted (though not by name) in a friendly manner, whether upon entry into the hotel, in the hallways, in the lobby...

Housekeeping politely checked in on us for amenities during our stay (we avoid having housekeeping come into the room). I used the chat service on the app a lot to ask for information about the hotel, PCR tests, late checkout...  All questions were answered and all requests were completed to my satisfaction.

We ordered room service on two occasions and it was prompt. No complaints there. Servers were always polite and asked us how we were doing.

The Guest Experience manager called our room after one of the minor service errors which I thought was a very nice touch.  And upon checkout the Front Desk manager took some time to chat with us and asked us about our stay.

We did not have anything major occur so I guess others will comment if that happens in the future. In the end we were very satisfied with how we were treated by the hotel staff.

Dining

There are currently three dining options at the hotel.

Jolie, the main hotel all-day dining restaurant. Duomo, an Italian restaurant on the first floor. Thia, the pool lounge/bar.

We cannot comment on the last two unfortunately as we did not partake.

Jolie had good food. Nothing spectacular but good.  I thought it was a little pricey over all and the portion sizes were on the smaller side for breakfast.  Service at the restaurant was awkward, but not unkind. Again, I think it is new people getting used to the routine, but we will see.  We also ordered in from Jolie and ate on our balcony. Unfortunately I only have this picture.

7EF39136-B68D-4E0E-95A4-214B90D2ED57.jpeg

The location of the hotel is both good and bad. 

I mean it's good that Dubai Mall is about a 3-5minute walk from the entrance.  If you want to be in that area, it is totally convenient, with many food options (cheap and not cheap), a grocery store in the mall and other amenities easy to reach by foot.

By car/taxi/rideshare, yuk.  Traffic is terrible. That's not the hotel's fault. Leaving is ok because the hotel is on the side of the street that leads away from the mall, but coming to the hotel & being stuck at that intersection on a busy afternoon/evening is the pits.

The Dubai Mall metro station is a long walk.  Through the mall, which is already large, and then through that pedestrian tunnel. I figure a good 25 min walk at a brisk pace.

Overall

Unfortunately, I did not get a chance to check out the pool area or the gym so I cannot comment on those.

TL:DR.  I really liked the hotel.  The price? It was what is was. It's an Edition. We were treated well, the room was nice and well appointed, and as a Titanium I got my benefits honoured.  The food was decent if a little pricey. Good location but beware of traffic jams.  Would I come back? Yes, if only to see what the hotel is like after the soft opening.

The Dubai EDITION - soft opening

Would you like to write a review on the Dubai EDITION?

No, thank you.
Yes
MaxFlyer, jaejaez, zzap and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 12:04 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by illico
...TLR. I really liked the hotel. The price? It was what is was. It's an Edition. We were treated well, the room was nice and well appointed, and as a Titanium I got my benefits honoured. The food was good if a little pricey. Good location but beware of traffic jams. Would I come back? Yes, if only to see what the hotel is like after the soft opening.
Thanks for the review illico. We are contemplating going to the NYE firework show, and thinking of walking from Burj Khalifa area back as it seems to be relatively close. But from prior posts here and elsewhere, seems to be a long walk as you indicated.

Coincidentally, the St. Regis and Edition both had award night availability when I checked an hour ago. Debating if I should try out St. Regis and just enjoy the view of NYE from the hotel instead of the ground level (secured my access pass (zone 12) already. Decisions, Decisions... albeit first world decisions...
Old Dec 22, 2021, 12:53 am

Programs: Some
Thanks for the review illico. We are contemplating going to the NYE firework show, and thinking of walking from Burj Khalifa area back as it seems to be relatively close. But from prior posts here and elsewhere, seems to be a long walk as you indicated.

Coincidentally, the St. Regis and Edition both had award night availability when I checked an hour ago. Debating if I should try out St. Regis and just enjoy the view of NYE from the hotel instead of the ground level (secured my access pass (zone 12) already. Decisions, Decisions... albeit first world decisions...
If you are considering the St. Regis I hope the windows are cleaner now than when it was a Renaissance as they were filthy to the point the view was obstructed before. I stayed over NYE last year and it was a pretty shocking stay overall from a service perspective - can’t comment on since the change to St. Regis as I have no intention of ever going back. I’m about to check out of the EDITION so can provide some more photos of the Burj view etc shortly.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 1:31 am

I did not actually walk to Burj Khalifa itself so I cannot say. But the hotel to the Fountains area is not long at all; about a five minutes walk plus waiting time at the traffic light. The long walk I mention is from the hotel to the metro station. I cant imagine that area being anything but crowded during NYE. And I would check the Covid restrictions for that event prior to attending.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 1:34 am

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
I’m about to check out of the EDITION so can provide some more photos of the Burj view etc shortly.
while we did not seem all the rooms, i feel like the Address would block part of the BK. Hopefully you can prove this assumption wrong
Old Dec 22, 2021, 1:37 am

Re the fireworks show on NYE, the whole area will supposedly be blocked off and crowds strictly controlled. You can register via the U by Emaar app if you wish to be in the Burj Khalifa area – you need to submit your personal details including photo of passport, which they will allegedly check on entry to the area on NYE.
Old Dec 22, 2021, 2:45 am

It means your booking was non-refundable the moment you booked. You'd need the hotel to allow cancellation without penalty, otherwise they will charge the late cancellation fee (which will be cash, and significant given the paid rates).

I'm headed here for check-in tomorrow (2-night stay) and will report back. Thankfully staying under a friend's employee rate, because both the paid rate and the points rate are non-starters for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.