Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

What is this new junk fee? "Amenity Fee"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2019, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K

WTH is this:

Please note-A daily destination amenity fee of USD 17 will be added to the room rate.

Did i miss this? What does it cover?

Sheraton Nashville.

UGH
Franky16 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 7:23 pm

That's the fee fee.

Its nonsense, and you don't earn points on the fee. A complete scam coming to a major city near you.
Brendan, Dublin_rfk and MimiB22 like this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 8:08 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Often known as a Resort Fee, as anyway mentioned these are popping up everywhere as revenue enhancers
Brendan, writerguyfl and MimiB22 like this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 8:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's a resort fee in a hotel that can't even pretend to be a resort.
TerryK, Spiff, quinella66 and 22 others like this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
WTH is this:

Please note-A daily destination amenity fee of USD 17 will be added to the room rate.

Did i miss this? What does it cover?

Sheraton Nashville.

UGH
Why don't you message them and ask what it covers? Maybe an f&b credit? Parking?
Old Nov 29, 2019, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by moondog
Why don't you message them and ask what it covers? Maybe an f&b credit? Parking?
Thanks to our lord and savior Arne Sorensen for blessing us with another fee. May he reign a thousand years.
Brendan, vandalby, Newman and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 9:19 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by hotelboy
Thanks to our lord and savior Arne Sorensen for blessing us with another fee. May he reign a thousand years.
This is just another one of these “noise around the edges” kinda thing...
Old Nov 29, 2019, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
I predict that hotels and resorts with aquaria in their lobbies will soon start charging an anemone fee.
Spiff, stc, SilverGoat and 21 others like this.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by hotelboy
If that $17 fee provides $50 in restaurant credit, some people might see value in it. It should still be optional though of course.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
Sometimes you can get a rate that doesn’t require it. It’s annoying as crud and common in NYC Marriotts now. Some of our corporate rates require it, so I have gotten used to asking what it covers to see if there’s any reason to use it. Usually a drink or two in an overpriced, unpleasant hotel bar. The last trip I tried to apply it and was told “your rate doesn’t include it but we can charge it if you wish.” No thanks.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 4:31 am
Suspended

If it includes internet invoke the terms and conditions to get a replacement amenity or benefit. Most hotels and most members (you don't even need elite status to invoke this provision!) don't even know about this. Some hotels refund the resort or destination fee when you do this. Others reduce it. Others give you more points. Some just give you a drink voucher. While you're at it file a complaint with the attorney general or consumer protection office for the hotel not disclosing at booking what is included in the fee.
KRSW, SacTownGuy, CashN and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 5:33 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's a resort fee in a hotel that can't even pretend to be a resort.
And a destination fee when the hotel isn’t at a destination.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 5:34 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by icanneverflyenough
If it includes internet invoke the terms and conditions to get a replacement amenity or benefit. Most hotels and most members (you don't even need elite status to invoke this provision!) don't even know about this. Some hotels refund the resort or destination fee when you do this. Others reduce it. Others give you more points. Some just give you a drink voucher. While you're at it file a complaint with the attorney general or consumer protection office for the hotel not disclosing at booking what is included in the fee.
Some just tell you to go screw, as happened both times I’ve tried this.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Thankfully there are other program options out there which waive said junk fees
ajamieson, EuropeanPete and KRSW like this.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 6:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Some just tell you to go screw, as happened both times I’ve tried this.
This is an area where people should sue. The replacement is for any Bonvoy member regardless if they have elite status. There are probably hundred of thousands of customers who paid a resort fee and did not get the required replacement. That's actually like a legit class-action lawsuit if anyone who is reading this wants to initiate it. It's probably a better case than the existing lawsuits against Marriott for resort/destination fees.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.