Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

What is this new junk fee? "Amenity Fee"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is this new junk fee? "Amenity Fee"

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2019, 6:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Recent stay at St Regis NYC. I was not charged the daily $50 fee. Agent at check in said she’d waive it. I still got complimentary museum tickets and morning coffee/fruit.
Happy and margarita girl like this.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 6:52 pm

Our new resort fee strategy: We have a "neat pile of towels" fee of $38.00 plus tax and applicable fees that we include in the reservation comments, informing the property it accepts our fee by accepting the reservation. Then, we do not leave our used towels all over the place, we put them in one neat pile. It's in the notes!
Old Dec 1, 2019, 7:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Recent stay at St Regis NYC. I was not charged the daily $50 fee. Agent at check in said she’d waive it. I still got complimentary museum tickets and morning coffee/fruit.
And your success rate is …. ?
Old Dec 1, 2019, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Deceptive fees like this are unfortunately becoming the norm. I hope the numerous lawsuits by several state Attorneys General get some traction on eliminating this scourge.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2019, 10:35 pm

Originally Posted by X-ON
Just wait ...soon the rate will be $1 and the fee $399 on a $400 hotel night
We're practically already there. I've seen a few Marriott properties where the hotel's fees* make up >60% of the nightly bill. Definitely something some government bureaucrat or Congresscritter should be looking into...if they weren't so busy trying to advance their own careers.

*Fees were 100% for the hotel. Resort & Parking. I'm ignoring the municipality's cash grab

Last edited by KRSW; Dec 1, 2019 at 10:46 pm
Old Dec 2, 2019, 5:16 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by volklboy
Our new resort fee strategy: We have a "neat pile of towels" fee of $38.00 plus tax and applicable fees that we include in the reservation comments, informing the property it accepts our fee by accepting the reservation. Then, we do not leave our used towels all over the place, we put them in one neat pile. It's in the notes!
Please let us know how this works out
Old Dec 2, 2019, 5:31 am

Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Please let us know how this works out
I still remain curious about what the Nashville property fee covers.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by moondog
Unfortunately, Marriott does not spell out what the resort fee includes. With Starwood, it was clearly itemized on the website.

A friend just stayed at the Westin Times Square which has a $30 resort fee, but also includes a $30 F&B credit, so they're essentially forcing you to spend money at the hotel. However, if you had just bought the F&B and charged it to your room, you would get points on that. Because it is labelled "resort fee", you get nada!
EuropeanPete and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 6:50 am

It supplements their income and allows you to benefit by paying a lower nightly rate. It's a real win-win.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 7:36 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Unfortunately, Marriott does not spell out what the resort fee includes. With Starwood, it was clearly itemized on the website.

A friend just stayed at the Westin Times Square which has a $30 resort fee, but also includes a $30 F&B credit, so they're essentially forcing you to spend money at the hotel. However, if you had just bought the F&B and charged it to your room, you would get points on that. Because it is labelled "resort fee", you get nada!
If the $30 fee results in $60 F&B credit, I (personally) would be okay with it. But, anybody who has better places to hang out than the Westin Times Square should simply say NO THANKS.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 11:03 am

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by sethMCOflyer
Iallows you to benefit by paying a lower nightly rate
sure it does, sure it does...
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 12:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
This Arne guy must own a helluva lot of hotels.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 12:08 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
I treat it like taxes or parking. Its part of the total equation. If its still $50 a night cheaper than staying at another property, then the $30 fee is palatable. I try not to think about whether I earn points on it.

It just means you have to look at the total cost. I will say that Hilton is a bit more transparent than Marriott in how they disclose it. And both of them love to hide the parking fee.

I also like that Hilton doesn't charge the fee on points stays, while (I think) Marriott will charge you a destination/resort fee on points redemptions.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
UPDATE....called and spoke with hotel

So i spoke with the hotel this morning.

The fee is for all of the amenities that the hotel includes. This is:
1-free coffee in the room. If you run out, they will bring you more (no kidding, this was the leadoff line)
2-heated pool for use 7am-10pm
3-fitness center use 24 hours a day
4-free champagne or mimosa, but only available on weekends check ins from 3-5pm (WHHHAT?)

Seriously, I asked to speak to a manager. Got a front desk manager on the phone. Went through list. She also included a huge (HER WORDS) benefit the agent forgot. Free water bottles. They give 2 per room per day. (I did say i would just take them out of the lounge, to which she replied lounge food had to be consumed in lounge!)

Well folks, guess this means I will look elsewhere. Be honest and put it in the room rate. This is deceptive at best.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 2:41 pm

Dear X:
Thank you for deciding to stay at our hotel in Nashville. We have added a resort fee to your reservation, which is only $17 per night. This fee avails you of free parking in the garage attached to our hotel, and a $50 food/beverage credit. We are committed to providing you with "southern comfort" on all fronts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.