Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

What is this new junk fee? "Amenity Fee"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2019, 3:17 am

There's a dedicated thread for this:

Old Dec 28, 2019, 8:35 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by mikew99
I refused to pay the "tax" and it was removed with "REFUSED TO PAY" stamped all over my bill.
Apparently a large enough number of guests challenge them on the scam fee that they had a rubber stamp made for refusals.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 1:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, United Gold
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Having seen that wording, I never would have jumped to the conclusion that it was a government tax.

Frankly, I don't see why a hotel would comply with your request. You appear to have misinterpreted the wording. As long as the total charged matched the total listed on the reservation, the wording of the fee isn't particularly relevant. You agreed to the total price when you made the reservation.

You weren't scammed. You simply read something into the wording that wasn't there. Even in a consumer-friendly state like California, I doubt you'd get any action. The hotel didn't attempt to masquerade a fee as a tax. Nothing fraudulent happened and there was no bait-and-switch. For it to be fraud, the hotel would have to specifically call the fee a mandatory local tax. They didn't do that...they used the term "fee".

Important: Please don't attack me or assume I'm okay with these types of fees. I firmly believe that resort/local/destination fees shouldn't be allowed. I'm merely stating my opinion of the way this particular fee was listed was not fraud or even slightly confusing.
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
There's a dedicated thread for this:

I created a separate thread because in my case it was labeled as a "Local Fee" which then ended up being charged as the "Destination Amenity Fee", which is a bit different than just solely being focused on disliking the fee. I dislike the concept of an additional amenity fee to begin with, but showing it as a local fee and then charging something else is my main issue here. A 'Local Fee' clearly means something related to the local area to me (such as convention center fee, city fee per night etc). I disagree that it doesn't matter since the total was as advertised. I would have walked away and changed my reservation to another property if the amenity fee had been disclosed for what it was on principle - vs a 'local fee' which I presumed was standard for the area because of its description. Employers clearly differentiate between hotel-imposed fees and local-fees and taxes, and this was labeled as a local fee but charged as a hotel imposed fee. That's the bait-and-switch here to me - and they're still doing it!
Old Dec 29, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by RobotsRock
I created a separate thread because in my case it was labeled as a "Local Fee" which then ended up being charged as the "Destination Amenity Fee", which is a bit different than just solely being focused on disliking the fee. I dislike the concept of an additional amenity fee to begin with, but showing it as a local fee and then charging something else is my main issue here. A 'Local Fee' clearly means something related to the local area to me (such as convention center fee, city fee per night etc). I disagree that it doesn't matter since the total was as advertised. I would have walked away and changed my reservation to another property if the amenity fee had been disclosed for what it was on principle - vs a 'local fee' which I presumed was standard for the area because of its description. Employers clearly differentiate between hotel-imposed fees and local-fees and taxes, and this was labeled as a local fee but charged as a hotel imposed fee. That's the bait-and-switch here to me - and they're still doing it!
It is not bait and switch. It is a few that was disclosed. We will not stop charging it. Get over it
Old Dec 29, 2019, 10:15 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by hotelboy
It is not bait and switch. It is a few that was disclosed. We will not stop charging it. Get over it
I agree it's not a bait and switch (that term has a particular meaning and is way overused on FT). It's pretty sleazy and greedy though (hooray for capitalism!).

I also doubt anything will change unless it demonstrably affects their bottom line.

Maybe an organized protest... book out a bunch of rooms on refundable rates and then cancel right before the deadline and make clear that "I'm cancelling because I have alternate accommodations that don't charge a resort/destination fee"
volabam likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 12:46 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Zorak
I agree it's not a bait and switch (that term has a particular meaning and is way overused on FT).
There's a case for bait-and-switch if the fee is represented as a tax, especially when the name of the fee is changed upon arrival (as appears to have occurred to OP).

Many hotels (e.g., CA) charge a local tourism "fee" that is really just a tax, levied equally, on all rooms in a certain area. I would consider it "bait and switch" if a local tourism "fee" were quoted and then suddenly changed to a "resort fee" upon arrival, regardless of any difference in the total price paid. And as noted, in OP's case, there is a pragmatic difference in who has to pay when it is a tax vs. just another asinine property fee.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

We will boycott your hotels (e.g. I now where not to stay in Nashville) in this case. While (currently) legal, resort/amenity fees are scumbag behavior.
Spiff, Tanic, EuropeanPete and 3 others like this.

Last edited by moondog; Dec 30, 2019 at 1:28 am
Old Dec 30, 2019, 10:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Here's an idea:
-new thread.
--list all hotels that screw us
-don't give them any of them a dime
ChinaShrek and KRSW like this.

Last edited by moondog; Dec 30, 2019 at 10:18 am
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:40 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
https://www.washingtonpost.com/trave...bers-congress/

Fingers crossed.
Spiff, volabam and Zorak like this.
Old Dec 30, 2019, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
If this ever has a chance, an election year is it. Fingers crossed with you!
Voodoo Daddy likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 10:28 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
It's a bait and switch when elites are told they get stated benefits for free then they're charged a fee and told one of the amenities is a benefit they are already entitled to.
SPN Lifer, Tanic and volabam like this.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
What really irks me about Marriott is that unlike Hilton and Hyatt, they charge the resort/destination/amenity fee on award stays. It's basically a $35-50 per night tax on the use of your Marriott points at many of the properties where I'm most likely to burn points. This is probably the #1 reason I'll focus on Hyatt next year.
In May 2013 on a three-night award stay at the Hilton Tropicana Las Vegas, I was charged a resort fee for each night and successfully disputed it on my credit card.

By no means is Marriott the only chain that engages in this reprehensible behavior.
Old Jan 2, 2020, 11:28 am

Programs: WN F9 HA UA AA IHG HH MR
Originally Posted by SPN Lifer
In May 2013 on a three-night award stay at the Hilton Tropicana Las Vegas, I was charged a resort fee for each night and successfully disputed it on my credit card. By no means is Marriott the only chain that engages in this reprehensible behavior.
It's Hilton policy not to charge "resort fees" on award stays (which is why I normally don't waste bonvOY points at Marriott resorts) . That may have been a billing error from the Trop.
SPN Lifer and KRSW like this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

"Local fee" charged - but then refunded automatically

I just completed a stay at a Sheraton in Canada. The confirmation from when I made the prepaid reservation had a "Local fee" included, a handful of dollars per night, and the total that was billed to my card included that fee.

Then after I checked out, an amount equivalent to the fee for all nights was refunded to my card.

OK.

Old Feb 2, 2020, 6:19 am

Not sure if anybody else has seen this… at least in Asia/Middle East

Recently booked for myself a 1 night stay at the Courtyard Dubai and post confirmation I am seeing this note in my details page:

“A Tourism Fee of AED 15 per bedroom per night is charged at check-out. Children 0-6 years of age stay free”

This is not a tax because tax is being added separately as part of “Summary of Charges”. This seems to be ON TOP of taxes.

Sure I am only staying 1 night (=AED 15 or less than USD 4) but it just bothers me.

Don’t think I have seen this in other Dubai hotels before… unless it’s a new trend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.